PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Terror Bomb

VonUber
11-04-2010, 19:30
Hi, I used to use a dark elf terror bomb tactic in 6th ed and I feel like reviving it for 7th ed.
So far the 2,500point list includes
Supreme Sorceress (level 4) on a Dragon with Pendant.
Sorceress (level 2) On a Peggy with the Death Mask
Sorceress (level 2) On a Peggy with the Tome Of Furon
2 Hydras
6Knights with full command.
2x Charriots
15Black Guard with full command and Dread Banner.
3 Units of 5 Dark riders with crossbows

So far its 2427points and Im thinking of adding some harpies to land behind the oponent units that are taking the terror tests (maybe 3 units of 5 meaning I need to drop somthing)

The tactic is take the lore of death, hope for doom and darkenss.. by the odds i should get the spell twice. And the spell that makes fear causers cause terror (the names just gone from my mind as I type this). And Make all the units take a terror test at -3 ld and hopefully make a few panic tests by this in the prossess. Plus Terror causing black guard (with the spell on them) is too awsome.

Im also tempted to give the level 2 with the tome the Gem of night mares and activate it when I cast the spell on her that causes fear (if she causes fear the spell makes her cause terror).

Any Ideas on this?

w3rm
11-04-2010, 19:48
Seems like a very solid list. And pretty cheesy. I'd only bring this out for tourneys.

Symrivven
13-04-2010, 09:05
Do you really need the death mask with 3 terror causing creatures in your army. Each unit only ever has to make one terror test for proximity to a terror causing creature.

The same for the gem of nightmares, you have 4 fear causing units, can you not make them cause terror if you really need more terror causers instead of the sorceress?

Coldone
19-04-2010, 17:32
why no bolt throwers? :D

elvinltl
20-04-2010, 07:47
Drop the Chariots. They suck in the current edition.

Considering you already have 3 sorceress to drain your opponent of all their diespel dice, I recommend an Assassin with a Cloak of Twilight. They probably cannot dispel it and you will have a flying assassin to perform surgical strikes.

PeG
20-04-2010, 12:20
the power in this list comes from 3 casters, dragon and dual hydras. Terror or not doesnt really provide a dramatic change. The possible weakness is that the two caster on pegs might have trouble hiding from shooting depending on terrain and if they die the opponent "only" have to deal with a dragon, two hydras and some supporting units.

Darkspear
20-04-2010, 17:19
[QUOTE=elvinltl;4590586]Drop the Chariots. They suck in the current edition.
QUOTE]

Why so? With 3+ save and t5, they are a lot more resilent. I have many occassions find them holding up infantry blocks. Admitedly there are better choices for special slots (CoK, BG and shades) but I do not think we can discount chariots just like that.

L1qw1d
20-04-2010, 21:05
I have yet to try the Chariots, but they look unappealing unless I have a LOT of speed to support them, even with ranged cover.

elvinltl
22-04-2010, 10:06
It is just that Dark Elves have a lot more excellent options for the special choice besides the chariot.

And the current edition chariots cannot march move (perform movement twice their movement distance) and it makes them very very slow and unwieldly. Cold One Knights or even Shades are better.

kaubin
22-04-2010, 10:47
Chariots are the most resilient piece in the book bar the Hydra. I've had them brush off so much shooting and survive so many charges it's not funny. I generally take a pair when i'm strapped for point, with then coming down to 200 points for something that can be a serious threat, and is nigh-unkillable. If I have more points I go for knights though...

elvinltl
22-04-2010, 11:37
Chariots are the most resilient piece in the book bar the Hydra. I've had them brush off so much shooting and survive so many charges it's not funny. I generally take a pair when i'm strapped for point, with then coming down to 200 points for something that can be a serious threat, and is nigh-unkillable. If I have more points I go for knights though...

A S7 hit will destroy a Chariot if he manages to hit and damage it. Since it is a S7 hit, no Amour Saves will be taken and your Chariot will crash.

S7 is relatively easy to come by.

Not to mention Dark Elves themselves can field a Ninja Assasin which can shoot 3 shots (Using Assassin BS it will prolly never miss), Strength = Opponent Toughness +2 (Manbane and Rending Stars, yes it stacks and it is stated in the DE FAQ. Slap it into your opponent face when he moans and whines. lol)

Most importantly, Chariots are so slow it is possible to avoid them entirely.

sulla
22-04-2010, 17:38
Chariots are good support for hydra.

Since they pop, they often attract fire that would otherwise be targetted at the hydra.
A combo charge of a hydra and chariot will beat almost any unit in the game convincingly.
A chariot costs a pittance compared to an assassin and his unit.

If you really wanted a terror bomb army you would go WoC though. They do it best IMO. With their doom totem and the -1 to tests gift of chaos, they don't need to rely on the lore of death. DoC can do it better too, of course. Plus they have the best core fast cav too to support them. The only weakness is that the rares aren't as powerful as the hydra, but when your fear causing knights are so powerful and your chariots (MoK) can break units singlehandedly, you can get away with a dragon mage and a single giant/shaggoth/hellcannon.

shinankoku
25-04-2010, 05:02
I think this sounds like a fun list. It is not an all-takers list, and it is certainly not the most effective de list I've seen. DE can come up with some ridiculously over powered stuff. I super-agree with PeG that the strength of this list is the punchiness of dragons, hydras, and casters. The bread banner and mask are point traps IMHO, given that you've already got plenty of terror-causing assists. Bring the asf banner (sorry, don't have the book in front me, forgot name) for the black guard instead. Drop the stupidity-prone cav, bring an assassin or two, stick them in this unit and it's far more effective. Just my opinion.

Shin

w3rm
26-04-2010, 00:22
Vampires are going to laugh at this list. Immune to Psych and they can easily tarpit your dragon and monsters then hit them with wraiths and such.

sulla
26-04-2010, 21:41
Vampires are going to laugh at this list. Immune to Psych and they can easily tarpit your dragon and monsters then hit them with wraiths and such. Sure, daemons are immune to psych too and powerful enough in magic to neuter that part of the list. So are all the WoC lists I face. My beasts are virtually immune, (other than the support chariots and the shaman's bodyguard unit). Lizards are practically immune due to their 3 dice Ld tests, HE get to reroll all psych vs DE, so they're as good as immune, Dwarves will be testing on Ld9...

All you really hurt are humans, O&G and really poorly constructed lists from the other races. The problem is that lists like VC and daemons have made fear/terror so powerful a threat that most lists are built to counter them these days, making a terror bomb increasingly irrelevant.

w3rm
27-04-2010, 16:17
At first I thought list would be effective but now I'm not so sure. Hell even humans should do decent if they take 2 or 3 units of flagellents and use cannons to pick of your monsters.

VonUber
27-04-2010, 22:41
Well if i come across vamps or demons (i usualy do) i can just use dark magic and rip the army apart as usual.

w3rm
28-04-2010, 16:02
Ok any decent daemon army is gonna have at least 3 units of horrors and and 5-10 flesh hounds with MR 3 and a BT can get MR3 for only 15 points. So even with that many power dice he can shut you down fairly easily. Flamers to kill hydras and flesh hounds and Horrors to kill the rest. Bloodthirster makes a beeline for your Dragon Lord with the BT will make mincemeat out of. Then he procedes to terror bomb the rest of the army.