PDA

View Full Version : tomb kings 2000 pt list

Mr.Arg
12-04-2010, 00:58
Hey, so I know this list will immediately get rejected from tournaments, however, i don't plan on playing in any. When I play at my local games store, I want to go in with something strong ('cause it's either a kid playing demons/dark elves and unjustly winning, or it's someone who knows how to use a Slann). so, here it is:

Tomb King:
Spear of Antarek
Collar of Shapesh
Chariot of Fire
Light Armour
Enchanted shield

Liche Priest:
Hieratic Jar
Dispel Scroll

Liche Priest:
Cloak of Dunes (flying behind chariots giving them extra movement and combat phases)
Dispel Scroll

Liche Priest:
Dispel Scroll x 2

Chariots: x 4
Musician
Standard
Icon of the sacred eye

Skeletons: x 20
Musician
Standard

Skeletons: x 20
Musician
Standard

Tomb Guard: x 20
Champion
Standard
Musician
Icon of Rekaph

Scorpion

Catapult:
Skulls of the foe

Catapult:
Skulls of the foe

Total : 2034

Basic plan of attack:
- chariots move forward
- TG advance also
- skellies either advance or sit back or shoot
- other two LPs fuel catapults
- scorpion (hopefully) distracts opponent to some degree.

Thoughts, suggestions, anything to help would be great!

lord marcus
12-04-2010, 01:43
Why would you get rejected from tournies? by the way, tomb guard are gonna be a ponits sink. i'd go more skellies, preferably bowmen.

Mr.Arg
12-04-2010, 19:57
Why would you get rejected from tournies? by the way, tomb guard are gonna be a ponits sink. i'd go more skellies, preferably bowmen.

Two catapults is rejected by most tournaments because it's TOO powerful. with each LP giving them an extra shot, that's 4 shots a turn (most likely getting dispelled, so that's 2 minimum) one shot finds the distance, the others hit and crush.

I know TG are expensive, but I've learned how to use them. The killing blow and magical attacks at S4 makes them invaluable in my eyes. Plus, I've had great success with them.

but yes, the skellies i do have are 90% of the time bowmen.

lord marcus
13-04-2010, 00:30
true. I usually go to RTT's that allow anything in the army book.

Mr.Arg
13-04-2010, 00:58
true. I usually go to RTT's that allow anything in the army book.

hmm, interesting.

I'm going to play a few games with this list before people catch on :shifty:

Troah
13-04-2010, 02:36
I don't understand, why are two Screaming Catapults too powerful?

Mr.Arg
14-04-2010, 03:04
I don't understand, why are two Screaming Catapults too powerful?

should you get 4 shots off (usually never happens, if opponent is smart) that's one (first) shot to measure distance --by this shot you should know how far away target is-- the next three shots have a good chance of hitting (target in centre dot is hit at S10 and takes a D6 wounds) and teh rest are hit at S5, partials on 4+, magical and flaming attcks (good against tree giants and such)

let's say two hit directly (optimistic, but still realistic), that's 2 S10 hits dealing 2D6 wounds... target = dead.

also, if it has Skulls of the Foe, anything it hits suffers -1 to leadership --it could very well cause a unit (weak spirited ones) to run away after killing a few.

to summarize, it kills both big guys well, and little guys well. it does everything.

if you only take 1 catapult, that's not so bad.

Troah
14-04-2010, 04:06
Ok so the main thing is just the D6 wounds and the -1 to leadership then since the S10 is pretty much all stone throwers right?

Zaustus
14-04-2010, 04:12
D6 wounds is all stone throwers too (most are S4/S8 instead of S5/S10, too). The power is getting to check range with one SSC in the magic phase, which makes your other 3 guesses (one from magic, two in shooting) super-accurate.

Troah
14-04-2010, 04:15
Oh wow...that means my Bretonnian's Trebuchet is a lot better then what I thought, it too is S5(10) but didn't know about the D6 wounds for it..thought it was just 1 wound per model hit.

Mr.Arg
14-04-2010, 20:01
you would be correct!

Feminist
14-04-2010, 20:49
You simply cant go 34 points over. No one would allow that as it can plain and simple be avoided. Just drop some models from a core unit.

Kick in the ocd of non 20 man units :P

Lord Dralnu
14-04-2010, 22:31
I really couldn't see any tomb kings list being rejected due to being "too powerful". I'd say run the two catapults; it's a competitive move for a competitive environment, as most tourneys are.

gdsora
14-04-2010, 22:36
Woah two catapults= Too Powerful?

When did that happen?
4 shots per turn? Yeah if they aren't dispelled, Scatter, or misfire.

I have never seen anyone complain about two catapults.

Anyways I see nothing wrong with your list.
Do kinda have a lack of a strong *hammer*
You have the chariots, just make sure you pick your battles with them carefully they are fragile

Lord Dralnu
14-04-2010, 22:42
Not to mention you'd have to tie up all your priest's magic to try and get those shots off, thus leaving the rest of your non-marching army... in the dust :P

Witchblade
14-04-2010, 23:36
Scatapults are S4(8), not S5(10).

Mr.Arg
15-04-2010, 01:34
is 34 points really that much of a problem? If anything, i would let my opponent take an extra dispel scroll if they wanted just to fill up the points.

i know the 4 shots is improbable, but it makes my opponent (if they know better) to save their dispel dice for that as opposed to a chariot charge. works like the casket in that case.

yeah, i was planning on the catapults being the hammer here...
other than that, TKs don't really have hammer units, they just have to maneuver well.

honesrtly, i know my opponent is going to try to dispel the shots so i don't throw all my magic at them.

hmm... interesting... where did we get the idea they were 5(10)? where does it say 5(10)? i looked it up but can't find it, my armybook is in pdf so it's difficult to search :P

gdsora
15-04-2010, 05:09
No Idea where Str 5/10 came from

Catapults basic rules are that they are 4/8 in the Big rule book aren't they?
Anyways
To be clear

Screaming Skull Catapults are 4/8

Troah
15-04-2010, 19:31
the next three shots have a good chance of hitting (target in centre dot is hit at S10 and takes a D6 wounds) and teh rest are hit at S5, partials on 4+, magical and flaming attcks (good against tree giants and such)

That's where it came from me thinks.

Mr.Arg
15-04-2010, 20:01
ok. everyone i talk to seems to think it's 5(10)... well at least i know.

... i'll see how long i can go before some one realizes :P

HFXNSHC
15-04-2010, 21:40
is 34 points really that much of a problem? If anything, i would let my opponent take an extra dispel scroll if they wanted just to fill up the points.

Or you could drop a dispel scroll and a skeleton or two, or two dispel scrolls, and have a legal army list. The game is (I'm assuming) 2000 points, and you can very easily alter your list to abide by that.

Spiney Norman
16-04-2010, 10:02
Two catapults is rejected by most tournaments because it's TOO powerful. with each LP giving them an extra shot, that's 4 shots a turn (most likely getting dispelled, so that's 2 minimum) one shot finds the distance, the others hit and crush.

I know TG are expensive, but I've learned how to use them. The killing blow and magical attacks at S4 makes them invaluable in my eyes. Plus, I've had great success with them.

but yes, the skellies i do have are 90% of the time bowmen.

Tomb Guard are well worth their points cost, much more so than skeletons.

If you're worried about hate for your two catapults, drop one of them in favour of a casket of souls on one of your priests. The Casket is standard must-have kit for me these days, not only is it a powerful incantation which causes devastation if it goes off, its also a great boost for your dispel ability.

I would exchange the Spear of Antharhak for a mundane flail, unless you really need your King to have magical attacks its better in a lot of cases.

I'd also try and fit the Undying legion banner in there somewhere, even if its just on one of those skeleton blocks.

Mr.Arg
17-04-2010, 15:35
about the point total:

everyone at my lgs is pretty easy going, i'm sure they'd let it go. if not, i'll let them take an extra 50 pts of shtuff.

I'm considering getting a casket, but not until the next release of the armybook. hopefully it will come out in plastic, if not, then i'll just get one.

I understand where you are coming from. but the spear has proven invaluable to me (bring back dead chariots is a total punch in the crotch for my opponents)

i actually had that in one of my blocks of skellies before i revised this list. but i really needed to cut points.

kizzer2288
18-04-2010, 15:56
hi im new but have a tomb kings list and read this thread the other day and asked my friend who works at gw and he said that there is no reason y u wudnt b able to put 2 catapults in ur list,and i thought i would do the same in my list just too be cheeky lol

Mr.Arg
18-04-2010, 16:51
hey, if it says you can in the book, then no worries.