PDA

View Full Version : Other Sci-Fi in Warhammer

enigma-96
13-04-2010, 03:48
So I'm bored as all hell and thought it would be fun for all parties involved to bring up this idea. Out of the countless sci-fi IPs out there, how many could be easily transposed into the warhammer universe and still be entirely, or almost entirely, the same thing?

So the rules for your little search are as follows:
A) Warhammer is the receiving uinverse not the other way around
B) Some minor details may be changed and major details may be changed if the change is more a repositioning than anything else, I.E. If a sci-fi series has someone SIMILAR to the Emperor than it's okay to count the emperor in their place.
C) Technology should be reasonably close/achieveable/plausible in the 40k verse, example: No 'Space Runaway Ideon' whole universe destroying weapons (Seriously) as that isn't quite yet possible in 40k :shifty:.
D) No fun allowed.....this is a serious post :shifty:.
E)The WHOLE universe must be transferable (or an appreciable part of it)

Anyways I'll start with a good simple one:

Judge Dredd: His world is more or less a forgeworld run by alternate adeptus arbites. The enemies he faces are easily explainable with psykers, sero-enhancement, and in some cases, warp based manipulation.

There's an easy one for ya, good luck finding some more :D.

Charistoph
13-04-2010, 04:10
Klingon Empire from Star Trek.

Culturally, they'd fit right in.

Yuuzhan Vong from Star Wars Expanded Universe. They're Klingons meet Tyrranids.

Hellebore
13-04-2010, 04:17
Most of them would fit. The origin of certain abilities though would change.

ie a jedi is a telekinetic/divination psyker with a powersword (not a force sword because a jedi can't powerup a lightsabre like a psyker can a force sword).

Even the methods of space travel fit. Everyone else uses a primitive version of the necron inertialess drive, B5 uses the tau warp skim etc.

Hellebore

MetalGecko23
13-04-2010, 04:19
Mass Effect could easily take place some where in the Tau Empire.

Absolutionis
13-04-2010, 04:26
Not to derail the topic this early in, but mentioning Judge Dredd, I've always thought the double-eagle insignia, the 'hive cities', the totalitarianism, and the limitless judge (inquisitor-like) would fit in exceptionally well into a 40k setting to the point that it seemed strange if 40k wasn't influenced by Judge Dredd.

Hellebore
13-04-2010, 04:35
Not to derail the topic this early in, but mentioning Judge Dredd, I've always thought the double-eagle insignia, the 'hive cities', the totalitarianism, and the limitless judge (inquisitor-like) would fit in exceptionally well into a 40k setting to the point that it seemed strange if 40k wasn't influenced by Judge Dredd.

Strangely you are correct. GW was influenced by 2000AD (many of the artists and writers they used early on were shared with 2000AD).

Hellebore

ehlijen
13-04-2010, 04:43
Dune?

Mutated navigators are essential for warp travel. It's a feudal system of government where the Emperor's only claim to the throne stems from his access to the most elite fighting force in the known universe (Sardaukar chapter). Oh, and a secret order of religious zealots keeps everything working smoothly enough for their likes but no more (go adepta sororitas!). Laser cannons that are useless against personal body shields, driving combat into bloody close quarter duels, sound familiar?

Needs a bit of bending, but mostly it fits. Once again, probably because 40k took a fair few pointers.

enigma-96
13-04-2010, 05:00
I just edited the rules and I put that all (or most) of the sci-fi universe must be transferable into the 40k verse. For example, Hellebore brought up Jedi (which do make sense) but is the rest of the star wars universe workable? Same with the klingon empire example, can the rest of Star Trek fit reasonably well into the 40k verse?

NOTE: If the sci-fi series in question spans an entire universe in of itself it's still okay to 'shrink' it to make sense. Example: Star trek has an earth too but obviously that doesn't work so it's okay to put that into a general 'feel' or 'something similar but not the same'. Likewise existing sci-fi empire's don't have to be incorporated into an existing faction so long as it is reasonable that the new empire/faction could reasonably work in 40k. Anyways keep it up.

Now then onto the current suggestions.

Star Trek: Democracy in 40k? Peaceful exploration? Kirk? I don't know I think this needs some convincing.

Star Wars: I can sort of see it but it could also be argued the other way as well, maybe a few more examples?

Mass Effect: This seems completely unreasonable too me since their is an immediate lack of all things grim dark, their isn't nearly enough xenophobia, and the weapons are a little too realistic to make sense in 40k.

Dune: It was only a matter of time before someone stated the obvious :D (Seriously though this one makes total sense.)

MetalGecko23
13-04-2010, 05:09
Mass Effect: This seems completely unreasonable too me since their is an immediate lack of all things grim dark, their isn't nearly enough xenophobia, and the weapons are a little too realistic to make sense in 40k.
Lol too realistic to make sense...:D
No I meant the look and feel of the architecture seems to me what you could fine on a Tau trading hub.
Though the guns use mass accelerators which are not too far from railguns.
An xenophobia is very much a part of Mass Effect.

Hellebore
13-04-2010, 05:24
I miss understood. You mean are there other settings or components of settings that fit the IMAGE of 40k and thus could be ported in?

I was simply saying that the 40k universe possesses so many ways to explain things that any scifi universe pretty much could fit into the setting. How long they lasted is another matter.

Hellebore

enigma-96
13-04-2010, 05:33
I miss understood. You mean are there other settings or components of settings that fit the IMAGE of 40k and thus could be ported in?

I was simply saying that the 40k universe possesses so many ways to explain things that any scifi universe pretty much could fit into the setting. How long they lasted is another matter.

Hellebore

Image and fluff wise. So it shouldn't just make sense in the sense of being possible in the 40k verse (otherwise most sci-fi would fit in) but also have a feel to it that makes it feel 40k like.

Voss
13-04-2010, 05:42

Actually, the arbites only exist because at one point point GW had the Judge Dredd license (for game products, anyway). Most of the Arbite models are based on JD designs with the serial numbers filed off. So, yeah. There is a reason for that stuff.

Much of the background was nicked straight from Dune, as well. God-emperor, navigators, etc. Lasguns, though sadly without the shield interaction :D
But yeah. Rogue Trader had a nice little timeline, including a bit during the Dark Age of Technology when mankind destroyed all the 'thinking machines.'

Anyway, most small scale sci-fi stuff can be waved off as 'stuck behind a warpstorm'. You could easily stick the Serenity series in a small backwater area and handwave it as 'well, people thought Earth-that-was was in imminent danger of bad things happening. Especially because they largely did... Warlords, wastelands and general badness.

MetalGecko23
13-04-2010, 05:47
The Necromongers from The Chronicles Of Riddick would fit in quite nicely within the Imperium.

Condottiere
13-04-2010, 07:20
Obviously, Starship Troopers - guys in powered armour and a non communicative Insect empire whose purpose is to be shot up.

enigma-96
13-04-2010, 07:37
Obviously, Starship Troopers - guys in powered armour and a non communicative Insect empire whose purpose is to be shot up.

Definately. In fact I would say both the book ST and the movie ST would make great fits in 40k.

"Rico you know what to do"

Rico: "Execute you then watch my romantinc fling get butchered by what essentially amounts to an arachnid appearing out of no where?"

"Well yes but it isn't nearly as cool when you say it like that."

Hunger
13-04-2010, 08:39
The masterpiece that is Blade Runner.

No, not the ice-skating one, the one set in a huge futuristic city where machinery is primitive compared to the tech-base and everything malfunctions from the lowly image enhancer right up to the androids.

The ultimate in 80s cyberpunk cool, the oppressive setting has all the hope and hopelessness of day to day life in an average colony. If we were Imperial citizens, we'd all be the chinese food vendor.

xerxeshavelock
13-04-2010, 11:04
stainless steel rat

djinn8
13-04-2010, 11:54
Well Dune would be more an alternate universe than an addition to current 40K. It would mean a differnent Imperium. Instead of the one we have now ruled over by the Emperor (a Messiah of Western idiology) we would have Muad'dib (a Messiah of Eastern Idiology). No Greek and Roman Influence. Insterad of Space Marines carrying Gladius we would see them carrying Scimitars. Instead of Iron Halos the'd have Iron Turbans (lol). Tallarn would have a complete plastic range.

Here's a pic of some Alternate Timeline Custodians
http://www.arrakis.co.uk/jpg/mes5l.jpg

chromedog
13-04-2010, 12:22
Stainless Steel rat for sure. He already carries a .75 cal recoilless pistol.
(one of the influences for the boltgun in the game. The other main one being a Judge's (Judge Dredd) Lawgiver pistol.

sliganian
13-04-2010, 13:09
Given how much 40K is essentially derivative of the big classics of Sci-Fi, a retro-fit wouldn't be that hard of a task. Some essentials:

-Foundation Trilogy
-DUNE (Books 1 - 6, nothing that Frank Herbert's idiot son wrote after Frank died)
-Starship Troopers (book, not the vortex of suck that was a movie)
- Lord of the Rings: yeah yeah, sue me. Where else are you going to learn about Elves? (in space or otherwise)

Essentially, almost all sorts could be brought in IF you caveat them with the "the Imperium hasn't found them yet" clause. Or you just make the setting sometime before the Great Crusade reaches the worlds. Robert Silverberg's world of Majipoor in "Lord Valentine's Castle" (and sequels) is a wonderful "lost world" example of an essentially medieval society that has skimmer tech and lots of xenos running about happily.

rodmillard
13-04-2010, 13:14
Anne McAffrey (sp?) Brainship series could fit right in - disabled humans whose brains are given a new "life" as the CPU of vast spaceships.

I second the nomination for Assimov's foundation novels (at least the original trilogy) - a galactic empire collapsing in on itself while powerful psychics manipulate the destiny of the human race and technology is elevated to the level of religion? the shoehorn isn't neccessary (in fact I suspect it was one of the inspirations behind the original Rogue Trader concept).

moonwhisper
13-04-2010, 13:17
Stargate.
The tv series would be set just before the Dark Age of Technology and the coming of the Emperor. The G'oauld/Ori oppressive menace and religious fanatism suits well. The G'oauld empire dominated before the Imperium but after Eldar and Necrons. And the Old Ones would be... well, the Old Ones? Or even the Eldar, those who created the Warpgates ?

don_mondo
13-04-2010, 13:20
Given how much of GWs background is already 'borrowed' from other sci-fi sources, I find it amazing that anyone can find new sources to include...................

Condottiere
13-04-2010, 13:33
For some reason, I'm reminded of Triplanetary, the first of Doc Smith's Lensman series, and Skylark of Space, classic space operas, in the sense of scale and technology not quite understood.

SandQueen
13-04-2010, 13:37
Alot of Ray Bradbury's short stories fit in flawlessly. Particularly the ones concerning the first baby-steps of space travel and the colonization of Mars.

"The Other Foot" = Explorator mission gone wrong, plain and simple
"There will come soft rains"= post exterminatus

Bunnahabhain
13-04-2010, 13:47
Given how much of GWs background is already 'borrowed' from other sci-fi sources, I find it amazing that anyone can find new sources to include...................

Easy. Just find ones that have only been created recently, after the general tone of 40k had been established, so barring warp storms, couldn't contribute to the background.

A good example would be the Chronicles of Riddick, which has entirely the right tone of grim-dark, hyperviolent science fantasy to drop right into the 40k universe.

N810
13-04-2010, 13:49
Well Dune would be more an alternate universe than an addition to current 40K. It would mean a differnent Imperium. Instead of the one we have now ruled over by the Emperor (a Messiah of Western idiology) we would have Muad'dib (a Messiah of Eastern Idiology). No Greek and Roman Influence. Insterad of Space Marines carrying Gladius we would see them carrying Scimitars. Instead of Iron Halos the'd have Iron Turbans (lol). Tallarn would have a complete plastic range.

Here's a pic of some Alternate Timeline Custodians
http://www.arrakis.co.uk/jpg/mes5l.jpg

Actualy house Atreides is suposed to be Greek, (Pauls family)
and the Fremen are actualy desendants of Gypsies.
Although there are a lot similaties between Dune and Laurence of Arabia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Family_Houses_in_Dune#House_Atreides

sliganian
13-04-2010, 13:58
Actualy house Atreides is suposed to be Greek, (Pauls family)
and the Fremen are actualy desendants of Gypsies.

Spoiler Alert: I'm fairly certain they we supposed to be descendants of Jews (comes up in Heretics of Dune, I think, or Chapterhouse). That whole "oppressed peoples always fleeing and wandering in the desert" thing.

sliganian
13-04-2010, 14:02
One that I'm not sure fits in (though of course one can always crow-bar anything) is Niven/Pournelle "Mote in God's Eye / The Gripping Hand". As much as I like the books, the Human tech is just too advanced in some ways (Null Shields) to flow neatly into 40K's ship-to-ship combat with chainsaws approach. :D

N810
13-04-2010, 14:06
Spoiler Alert: I'm fairly certain they we supposed to be descendants of Jews (comes up in Heretics of Dune, I think, or Chapterhouse). That whole "oppressed peoples always fleeing and wandering in the desert" thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religions_of_Dune
while there does appear to be some Jewish influences left
I don't beleve they are the Fremen, since the Fremens beliefs
are a cross between Zen Buddhism and Sunni Islam.

sliganian
13-04-2010, 15:13
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religions_of_Dune
while there does appear to be some Jewish influences left
I don't beleve they are the Fremen, since the Fremens beliefs
are a cross between Zen Buddhism and Sunni Islam.

Ah. Ok. I remember the Theilixu (sp) being ZenSunni but not the Fremen.

In other news, I had really wished when they did Sisters of Battle for the WitchHunters Codex that they would have added a more Bene Gesserit aspect to them. While an army of nuns with guns who all look like Debbi Harry of 'Blondie' is interesting in its own right I think a lot more could have been done (at least special character wise).

Charistoph
13-04-2010, 15:31
Can you fit Doctor Who in?

Bunnahabhain
13-04-2010, 15:34
Can you fit Doctor Who in?

Just a somewhat strange Inquisitor, using some massively complex and mainly misunderstood Dark age of Technology craft...

Condottiere
13-04-2010, 16:05
Doctor Who would be an Old One, probably Cegorach.

sliganian
13-04-2010, 16:27
Just a somewhat strange Inquisitor, using some massively complex and mainly misunderstood Dark age of Technology craft...

Aaah! The Good Doctor is about as FAR from an 'Inquisitor' as you can get. :mad:

Seriously, think about the Doctor then what you wrote, then take a breath, and hit yourself a few times. :D

To me, the Doctor would be better thought of as The Outsider. He is beyond mortal ken and is a force of nature in Time and Space.

And comes with a hottie assistant in the deal. :angel:

kanejax
13-04-2010, 16:33
Farscape could be brought in full in an out of the way sector

DeadlySquirrel
13-04-2010, 16:40
id say that Starship troopers would easily fit: bugs - tyrandis and MI - IG

the alien trilogy: nids

Predator: tau battlesuit??

stargate: sort of could work... old ones, parasites, humanity is always on the brink of total annihalation...

N810
13-04-2010, 16:43
I guess you could have Firefly and it's grew as rouge traders..?

Charistoph
13-04-2010, 17:31
Dalaks as Necrons?

For some reason I find it as hilarious.

ashc
13-04-2010, 18:00
The Doctor would still just be The Doctor, he slipped through some parallel universe crack again :p

enigma-96
13-04-2010, 18:12
The Doctor would still just be The Doctor, he slipped through some parallel universe crack again :p

So in this regard it isn't so much that the Doctor fits into 40k, just that the Doctor could end up in the land of Purple and it would still make sense for his universe.

AGC
13-04-2010, 18:25
Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Seriously, go and re-read the part of how come Zaphod is president of a "Galactic Empire". Pay close attention to the bit about what happened to the last emperor and you'll understand the secret of the golden throne.

As for the rest of the book - planets being demolished by bureaucracy gone mad - it fits far better than you might think.

N810
13-04-2010, 18:35
How about a Red Dwarf themed Space Hulk army (Space Marine)... LOL
against Polymorph invaders. (nids)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dwarf

jesusjohn
13-04-2010, 19:25
Event Horizon and Pandorum.

ehlijen
13-04-2010, 20:02
As the event horizon's engine core actually has the 8 pointed chaos star on it, I always assumed that it was actually meant to be a 40k movie, they just set it too far in the past to make that matter.

Also, it actually had boltguns :p

sliganian
14-04-2010, 01:32
As the event horizon's engine core actually has the 8 pointed chaos star on it, I always assumed that it was actually meant to be a 40k movie, they just set it too far in the past to make that matter.

Also, it actually had boltguns :p

Too bad it didn't have a coherent mid-plot or satisfying ending. :rolleyes:

MetalGecko23
14-04-2010, 01:41
Too bad it didn't have a coherent mid-plot or satisfying ending.
Still was awesome.

How about Nightmare On Elm Street. Perfect example of what haunts the Eldar at night.

Ghost In The Shell (the movie) could fit.

Charistoph
14-04-2010, 04:48

It was the first Warp ship that was launched. They didn't know they had to protect against Daemons.

DinoDoc
14-04-2010, 05:06
Ghost In The Shell (the movie) could fit.They'd be exterminated by Ad Mech/Inquisitorial forces for consorting with "thinking machines."

Sekhmet
14-04-2010, 05:35
Starcraft.

Yes, I just went there. Starcraft is one of the few IPs (maybe only?) that is partially based on 40k.

Dune (and thus Foundation), 2000AD, and others are the foundations for 40k itself, so of course they would fit in the 40k universe.

sliganian
14-04-2010, 13:23
They'd be exterminated by Ad Mech/Inquisitorial forces for consorting with "thinking machines."

Which circles us nicely back to the Butlerian Jihad. :)

N810
14-04-2010, 13:43
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind." :chrome:

Logarithm Udgaur
14-04-2010, 14:50
stainless steel rat
Yea god, I have not read those in ages. I should dig them out of my Mum's attic.

Predator: tau battlesuit??

This made me shoot coffee out the nose (yes it is painful), imagining the Imperials butchering a hapless suit pilot left behind after the Tau pull out. Then, when the story gets back to headquarters, the Stealth Suit pilot has become this monstrous being, slaughtering humans for sport. Sounds just like 40K.

For my submission, Bill the Galactic hero series. Nothing says Munitorum mix up like getting the wrong (size and side) arm installed after a crippling injury.