PDA

View Full Version : Who's playing what?

Aeddon
13-04-2010, 19:33
Hey everyone,
So with the approach of 8th edition I figure it'll be a good time to finally start a WFB army. I've looked at starting one for a little while but have been busy building up my 40k forces so it's gone to the wayside. Now, this isn't so much of a "what army should I play" thread but more of a "what do you play" thread. I know in 40k the majority of players play some sort of Space Marine army and I'm wondering if there is the same kind of trend in WFB. I don't really want to end up being "just another 'army-X' player".

So what do you play? What do you see a lot of?

Thanks.

Aeddon

Ultimate Life Form
13-04-2010, 19:35
I play Lizardmen and Skaven and I will play Vampire Copunts if I ever get them finished. Also ambitions towards Orcs & Goblins and Daemons of Chaos but waiting for 8th Edition/ new book.

jesusjohn
13-04-2010, 19:36
Playing Beastmen, seeing Lizards, Dark elves, High elves and daemons.

Troah
13-04-2010, 19:36
I play Lizardmen and Bretonnia.....I'll continue to play them, however I may expand to Orcs & Goblins because of their orkieness. From what I've noticed there really isn't a Space Marine equivalence in terms of popularity for Fantasy.

MasterSparks
13-04-2010, 19:38
I've a feeling that this will vary a lot from place to place, depending on who you ask. Either way, you don't need to pick a locally uncommon army to distinguish yourself, it's more a matter of how you choose to play your lists. Find your own style by trying out new things. Discover what works for you and soon enough you'll have your own personalized way of making armies that your opponents will recognize as yours. :)

Edit: And to go along with the flow, I play Vampire Counts. :)

Malorian
13-04-2010, 19:41
I mainly use my orcs, dwarfs, and empire.

I see a lot of dark elves, lizardmen, warriors of chaos.

Histeria
13-04-2010, 19:44
Lizardmen and not planning on moving to other armies. I take the Great Plan way too seriously :D

VoodooJanus
13-04-2010, 19:45
Well, the greatest thing about Warhammer is that there really isn't a 'Space Marines' army. A lot of people use Daemons, VC, Skaven and Dark Elves at tournaments, simply because they are some of the more powerful books, but in general and casual play, most armies get a fairly even spread- with the exception of Beastmen, Dogs of War (who are way out of date) and Ogre Kingdoms (who a lot of people own, but don't play because they're so difficult in the current incarnation of the rules.)

It all depends on what you like though- I played Tau in 40k first, and I liked that style so I decided to jump on board with the Wood Elves (who also come complimentary with some very cool combat things too). In total, I personally play Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos and Ogre Kingdoms (who, despite what people say, are SUPER fun.) I have a few other side projects (my Gnoblar horde is currently occupying my time at the painting table- no other army takes 18 hours to paint 160 points :D.)

The armies I see the most of are Dark Elves, Vampire Counts and Warriors of Chaos. I rarely see Beastmen, with Brettonnia being right behind.

However- there's pretty much an army for every style and nuance you could imagine and there's really no overplayed army- so you're free to choose. Every army has its own 'cheesy' combination, and so you may be labeled as 'one of those' in that way, but for the most part armies as a whole are pretty well rounded.

I know you probably aren't looking for 'suggestions' but If you'd hear me out...
Bretonnia (at least in my area) are fairly underplayed, still pretty competitive, and on top of all that very very fun to game with/against.

stroller
13-04-2010, 19:46
Orcs to compete, goblins for fun. I play against vampire counts/vampire pirates with occasional outings for skirmish bands of bretonnians, empire, dwarves and lizardmen.

mrjellybeans
13-04-2010, 19:48
High Elves, Orges and Tomb Kings for me. If you want an army that you will not see too often, try orges.

Jusu
13-04-2010, 20:01
a few orcs and a crap ton of goblins. go fanatics!!!!! slowly getting models for skaven 200+ model army....

Desert Rain
13-04-2010, 20:03
I play High Elves and I'm slowly starting a Vampire army. I used to play Lizardmen but I haven't fielded them in over a year as they don't really fit my preferred style of play.

Aeddon
13-04-2010, 20:10
Wow! Thanks for all of the responses! This helps out a lot and it's good to know that most of the armies are played.

I'm thinking of playing either Empire or Bretonnians, leaning towards Empire because painting the multi-colored Bret's seems like more effort than I want to put into it :P

mythic77
13-04-2010, 20:12
I have Dark elves and Tomb Kings

Bedsheets
13-04-2010, 20:12
I play Daemons, Lizards and Orcs. Have enough painting to keep me on these for a while.

SeaSwift
13-04-2010, 20:25
Empire sounds good Aeddon, I'd go with them over Bretonnians since Empire seem to be one of the rarest armies around. And I don't just mean locally, there seem to be a lack of Empire armies everywhere, and there is lots of fluff to start your army's background from.

VoodooJanus
13-04-2010, 20:27
Wow! Thanks for all of the responses! This helps out a lot and it's good to know that most of the armies are played.

I'm thinking of playing either Empire or Bretonnians, leaning towards Empire because painting the multi-colored Bret's seems like more effort than I want to put into it :P

Brets aren't any harder to paint than Empire, because although the effort per-model ratio goes up, Empire tends to have quite a bit more models in total.

klini
13-04-2010, 20:47
An all goblin army. :) Great fun really

Death Korp
13-04-2010, 20:50
I have and only play a stupid amount of Warriors of Chaos (10,000pts mark soon :o ), but lose alot with them. I see lots of Dark Elves, Vampires and some other armies thrown in too.
I play Orcs and Goblins the most, and always have a close game. O&G are a decent army if played well!
I want to play Empire next I think....

Cheers,

DK

Pacorko
13-04-2010, 20:51
Well in order of "love":

1.- Ogre Kingdoms.
2.- Dark Elves/Skaven.
3.- Wolf Riders/Night Gobbos/Dwarves.
4.- Beastmen/Wood Elves/Warriors of Chaos/Vampire Counts.
5.- Orcs/Bretonnians/High Elves.
6.- Tomb Kings/Empire.
7.- Daemons.

I'm still looking to finish my Middenheim army and to the chances of getting one that would be Nulnian, but mainly for conversion effort and collecting purposes, respectively, as I really don't get into the "feel" of the whole Empire thingy.

But yes, I only need to start collecting High Elves and Daemons to own every WHFB army there is.

Narf! :p

it's coming this way!
13-04-2010, 21:00
Ogres and Night Goblins... The goblins are quickly becoming my primary though.

I'm thinking that I'll wait for 8th/the new army book before I try to get back into the ogres

It's

The Red Scourge
13-04-2010, 21:18
Woodies, VC and just sold off my WoC for some darkies - I like the fast elven playstyle.

My group mainly goes for races not already played by others - and though we all want to do skaven, only one had the courage to deal with the horde ;)

Condottiere
13-04-2010, 21:27
Mercenaries, or in this case, Dogs of War.

w3rm
13-04-2010, 21:34
Skaven and Orcs and Goblins. I own a small DoC army but i never really use it.

langolas
13-04-2010, 21:54
Starting with dwarfs. A good start so far, we'll see how I play ;)

GitzBlasta
13-04-2010, 21:57
I play Orcs & Goblins... I can't stop buying Orcs & Goblins...

Used to have Beastmen about 10 years ago but they were painted so badly and the models were so old I ended up losing them or throwing them away. A few years ago I used to have a Tzeentch Chaos Warriors army made entirely of the old wizard's familiar models, but they fell apart and went missing in my various moves. Also used to have an Empire army but ended up giving most of it to a friend.

It's all about the Orcs & Goblins! There's something uniquely satisfying about your troops accidently killing each other.

Deon
13-04-2010, 22:11
i'm playing dwarfs, night goblins, and vampire counts

Grymlok
13-04-2010, 22:12
Without a shadow of a doubt I will be collecting Ogres for 8th edition. I'll still crank out the Lizzies and Brets, but I want something different and it was between Ogres or O&G.

BigbyWolf
13-04-2010, 23:14
I play Orcs and Goblins, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen (not so much since the new book came out...) and have recently added Ogre Kingdoms to my collection. My next project will probably be Lizardmen.

As for what I see played...everything! I haven't seen the new Skaven yet as our only player left the area just before they were released, and the one guy who's taken them up is a complete perfectionist and won't put them on the table until they are entirely painted.

AFnord
13-04-2010, 23:31
Lizardmen & Wood elves for me.

Empire sounds good Aeddon, I'd go with them over Bretonnians since Empire seem to be one of the rarest armies around. And I don't just mean locally, there seem to be a lack of Empire armies everywhere, and there is lots of fluff to start your army's background from.
Around here we have lots of empire players. Empire is rare in tournaments that don't use any form of comp system tough. It's not that empire is bad, not at all, they are somewhere in the middle as far as power level go, it's just that DE/VC/DoC (and to a lesser degree lizardmen) really dominate the tournament scene.

orcs of fire
14-04-2010, 07:48
ogres, orcs and goblins and chaos dwarves

snurl
14-04-2010, 07:57
Dwarves! and TK. I will soon have my VC army ready to take the field as well.

shelfunit.
14-04-2010, 08:30
Dwarfs as well :) Hoping to start Lizzies soon, but have dabbled with Empire and Orcs and Gobbos in the past.

Lordsaradain
14-04-2010, 09:00
I play WoC, Empire, O&G, DoC, VC, DE and OK.

Zapfork
14-04-2010, 09:24
O&G, and i hope for a decent Tomb Kings book soon, might get into those undead buggers

martinmshine
14-04-2010, 09:32
I collect dwarves and orcs and goblins
I was probably influenced a lot by Battle for Skull Pass as I am a skint teenager so the less money i spend the better!:)

Symrivven
14-04-2010, 11:19
Dark elves and mainly and some Vampire Counts. I have some old lizards laying around but I don't play them any more, mainly because I don't like the old models.

Alathir
14-04-2010, 11:46
I play High Elves, Bretonnians and Skaven.

badgeraddict
14-04-2010, 12:48
Bretonnia,
Dark Elves,
High Elves,
Wood Elves.

:)

Xzazzarai
14-04-2010, 13:22
I play Dark Elves and usually play vs WoC, greenskins and dwarves, though I do play vs most armies.

rtunian
14-04-2010, 13:37
i play orcs orcs orcs orcs & gobs

i often play against.... elves elves and more stinky elves! high elves, dark elves, wood elves, gallore. after some kind of elf, the next most common opponent of mine is vampire counts. i also have several stuntie opponents, and i occasionally see empire, warriors of chaos, or lizardmen

i've only played skaven and daemons once, and i have yet to play tomb kings, ogres, chaos dwarves, bretonnia, or beastmen. i have also never played another o&g player, although i occasionally see them at the store.

i think that's all of 'em, right?

Hannimar
14-04-2010, 13:44
1. High Elves
2. Vampire Counts
3. Dwarfs
4. Ogre Kingdoms
5. Wood Elves

And I play against any other army out there except Empire and Brets.

Dejay
14-04-2010, 17:57
Empire for me :)

smallgreenguy
14-04-2010, 22:14
Ogres, wood elves, and vampire counts. Rarely play the vc though.

As far as armies I see, most have at least one player Ive seen often. I never see skaven or beastmen though, though I know several people that own them.

puppetmaster24
14-04-2010, 22:25
I play VC but am moving too DE.

Crovax20
15-04-2010, 17:41
Empire is supposedly one of the best selling fantasy armies... yet I seem to be the only one at my LGS who actively plays them. I know at least 2 others have them, but one of them fields cheese gunlines (and usually plays VC or Lizardmen cheese lists) and the other mostly does Lizardmen.

What I see on the table the most are Vampire Counts, Bretonnia, O&G, Lizardmen. Other than that we got every army but dwarves and daemons of chaos.

Notasquick
15-04-2010, 20:52
I know in 40k the majority of players play some sort of Space Marine army and I'm wondering if there is the same kind of trend in WFB.

Lots of people have Chaos Warriors and Empire due to the Storm of Chaos campaign. Lots of people have Empire, Greenskins, or Dwarfs, due to the last two starter sets. Many generals get bored by Dwarf movement, magic, and tendancy towards a shooting playstyle, so move onto more interesting armies with magic and quicker movement. People get frustrated by Greenskin animosity and usually give up for more reliable combat armies. Dwarfs and Greenskins are both weaker armies than Empire.

Bretonia are feudal knights supported by peasants (effectively Space Marines without missiles with gun servitors). Knights are devastating on charging but peasants are plentiful and excellent missile troops. Both are probably stronger together than alone but people tend to knight armies (mixed armies are uncommon, peasant armies are rare).

Chaos Warriors are barbarian knights supported by mages (effectively Chaos Space Marines without missiles). In previous incarnations, before daemons and beastsmen were split away, they were very popular due to being much more powerful than most other armies. Chaos Warriors will probably win most combats provide they can get through the hail of fire that you will surely face. Under a decisive general they will beat most armies but struggle against those in the top tier.

Empire is the jack of all trades army with added detachments. It is reasonable effective against most average armies under a competent general. I suspect GW would like Empire to be the poster child equivilant in warhammer of combined loyalist Imperial Guard and Space Marines (that would probably be more commerically viable in 40K as well), but for whatever reasons it is still not a vastly more dominant army than any other faction.

So what do you play? What do you see a lot of?

Collect:

Dwarfs. Single army collector with the occasional kit from other races for basing, detail, or making alternative war machines. In my opinion, the cost of each single model has reached absurd levels. In particular, the plastic versus metal cost is simply unjustifiable.

Play:

Dwarfs, mainly core with a wide variety of unit types and runes. Occasional another army if someone wishes to play a reverse rematch.

Currently see:

- top rated armies
- army of the month
- armies based on starter set
- empire
- chaos warriors

Expecting in 8th edition:

Warhammer 40K meets LOTR.

Elves, vampires, magic, heros, and monsters, to be uber. Chariots, cavalry, and monsters, to be devastating on the charge. Huge blocks of infantry to be hard to destroy quickly. Horde armies to be competitive. Elite infantry armies to suffer, especially those without enhancing special rules. Slow armies to be uncompetitive.

To keep up the purchases of large model kits: Units for swarms, infantry, monsters, beasts, cavalry, chariots, war machines, and flyers. Differentiation between unit types in terms of line of sight, movement, shooting, combat, and psychology. Special characters moving units from special and rare to core. Unit upgrades with heros and special characters.

To drive the volume of plastic kits: Number of mandatory core slots increased rather than going back to selection percentages. Exceeding the mandatory core opens up slots in special, rare, and characters. Basic and average game sizes much higher.

To facilitate terrain kits: Terrain becoming an integral part of the game rather than been treated by players as impassable areas. Much more variation and quantity of terrain on the average game table.

To facilitate chariot/war machine kits: Chariots and war machines units used in squadrons and batteries. War Machines on rectangular bases. Magical attacks by chariots and war machines can be dispelled. Ratios for shooting units versus non-shooters. Overall toning down of shooting power. Shooting becoming less important in winning games.

Fundamental changes in equipment, magic, and psychology. Big changes in movement and combat. Armies weak at movement, magic, or psychology, at a considerable disadvantage.

Will see more:

- huge infantry blocks
- cavalry units
- monster units
- elvish armies
- undead armies
- monster armies
- hordes armies

Top armies:

- elves
- undead
- daemons
- monsters

Plastic Kits:

Core metals continued to be replaced in all armies, special and rare metals in popular armies. Popular units in either old plastics or metals redone. New units in popular armies.

Dwarfs in 8th:

Dwarfs fall out of the starter set and become a much more costly army to begin, but allows more scope in the development of the Army book. I am hoping that they take the Dwarf parts of the Battle for Skull Pass and put them in any Dwarf army box as a bonus.

The details of Dwarf magical resistance will potentially be removed from the 8th edition rulebook, and instead placed in the Dwarf army book (initially via FAQ) thus allowing it to be constructed alongside any future army book. Dwarf Magic probably requires extensive redevelopment.

Dwarf background continues the downward spiral in the main rulebook, future army books, and black library products. Pyrrhic background is fine, but this continual loser status has now gone much too far. Along with removal from the starter set, this must now be a significant problem in successfully marketing dwarfs to new players.

Dwarf army book not having a high priority in the release schedule. Major decision required on whether to make minor adjustments or rethink the army implementation. Probably they will not make that decision, inaction will then lead to sales falling too far, and a minor update will be released in a panic. I suspect that ultimately it will be a failure and therefore the last edition for the army.

Without a new book Dwarfs will probably get:

- Extensive army FAQ for the new edition which clarifys, modifys, adds, and removes, many rules;
- White Dwarfs rules for old special characters plus maybe new unit upgrade special characters;
- Four plastic kits Hammerers, Iron Breakers, Bolt Throwers, and Slayers;
- Repackaging of Throne of Power, Anvil of Doom, Lord on Shield Bearers, Thane on Oath Stone, and Gyrocopter;

perplexiti
15-04-2010, 21:02
Dwarfs & Lizardmen mainly, I've got plenty of both. Although I have got a very small Bretonnian army and am proxying a Wood Elf force in our current campaign.

outbreak
15-04-2010, 21:03
at the moment my skaven get played the most. I also play tomb kings and dwarfs and i've got a dark elf army lined up waiting for me to start painting it and half an orcs and goblins army i've slowly amassed somehow that i may decide to make playable at some point.

Ridarsin
15-04-2010, 21:19
I currently play Vampire Counts, and I don't think I will invest in another army. My friends have different armies, as it creates more diversity. At tournaments I tend to see daemons the most, followed by Skaven, Dark Elves, Vampire Counts, and Lizardmen.

Atropos
15-04-2010, 22:57
I play Vampire Counts, Dark Elves and Skaven ^_^

ShaggothLord
16-04-2010, 02:35
I play Lizardmen( Kinda) and Orcs and Goblins. There are alot of armies I wanna do though.

Kayosiv
16-04-2010, 10:07
I play lizardmen, dabble in Vampire Counts (I find 7th edition vampire counts to be extremely boring) and wood elves interest me.

Lord Shadowheart
16-04-2010, 10:15
I play most fantasy armies, for the past year or so though, its been Mainly High elves, and wood elves on occasion.

Arkfatalis
16-04-2010, 10:47
I play Dogs of war , but I left and only recently started playing again , so I'm using the WOC rules with some "count as" models. Empire just doesn't allow me to create a powerful character that's good in close combat, and creating a Tilean type of helcannon, which I call the "KamBOBulator", created by master engineer "Bob", looks just riduclous and was soooo fun to make and is the centre piece of my army.

The SkaerKrow
16-04-2010, 11:36
I am currently painting/playing Beastmen. I have a completed army of Dark Elves sitting on the shelf to the time being, and I will most likely be starting Dwarfs in 8th Edition (assuming I make the jump to 8e).

The most common armies in my area are Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Wood Elves and Warriors of Chaos.

ftayl5
16-04-2010, 23:38
I play Ogres, Tomb Kings, VC, I have the BFSP armies, and I'm starting to start the process of starting to start SKaven!!!

Ironhand
16-04-2010, 23:43
Actually, I'm not playing WHFB at all right now. Assuming that I like the 8th Edition Rules and start playing again, I've got a fully painted Dark Elves army, and unpainted Orc, High Elf, Beastmen, Warriors of Chaos, and Vampire Counts armies, so I'll probably play one of those.

The best army choice advice I ever got came from Phil Barker of WRG fame who said "Pick an army you can love even if you lose".

Agnar the Howler
16-04-2010, 23:57
I play Lizardmen (albeit not very well) and i'm working on a Tzeentch-Nurgle WoC (with a mono-nurgle and mono-tzeentch list as well as a mixed list).

The armies I see a lot are Daemons (in Slaanesh and Khorne variety), Empire (in dual-cannon varieties mostly), Skaven, VC and there are a few Dorf players around too. There are a few other armies knocking around but they don't see much use.

Poisonpen
17-04-2010, 00:20
My Armies: Ogre Kingdoms & Skaven.

Most common opponents: Empire, High Elves, and Vampire Counts.