View Full Version : Chopping up the Armorcast Baneblade; Blackadder's Heresy

14-04-2010, 01:41
Well I did it and I'm glad. Back in the days when my son was just starting out in 40K gaming we bought a tired old Armorcast Baneblade on Ebay and refurbished it. Although he was in ecstasy over it I was always bothered by the rather primitive design and the cranium sized rivets so after I replaced it with a Mars Pattern Baneblade (his fav not mine) I asked him if I could do a bit of a face-lift on the old relic.

http://i.imagehost.org/0612/4_23.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0612/4_23)

As usual my documentation is sporadic and there's a lot of pictures of the same thing. My biggest regret is not showing the step by step manufacture of the demolisher cannon which I am especially proud of. Casting new lascannons for the sponsons is missing but the actual barrel manufacture is available so let's get started with a battle board scene of the tank company and the hapless Armor cast Baneblade in her prime.

Here we see the victim in my favorite color scheme,

http://i.imagehost.org/0989/1_80.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0989/1_80)

Gray sandable primer with flat black accents.

http://i.imagehost.org/0517/2_34.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0517/2_34)

http://i.imagehost.org/0820/5_2.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0820/5_2)

Not too big on camouflaging Superheavy tanks as the true life dimensions are literally as big as my house so other that disguising it as a boulder there's not much point.

The Lucius Pattern Baneblade in the foreground is my favorite tank.

http://i.imagehost.org/0314/3_29.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0314/3_29)

I picked it up on EBay for next to nothing and it was a pitiful wreck with the treads glued on backwards and globs of glue and paint all over it. After I lovingly scrapped all the paint and glue off I pried apart all the pieces with surprisingly little breakage and reassembled. That project will be documented in another thread.


15-04-2010, 12:41
First order of business is to get rid of the outrageous over-sized rivets

http://i.imagehost.org/0330/6_6.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0330/6_6)

http://i.imagehost.org/0635/7_13.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0635/7_13)

and cut out the sponsons for a drum mounted pair of bolters.

http://i.imagehost.org/0031/8_13.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0031/8_13)

I find a razor saw and sandpaper invaluable in modifying resin models, also the resin does not hold paint very well so scraping with a dull Exacto #11 tip while time consuming will remove all the paint down to the bare resin.


15-04-2010, 12:42
I take a rather dim view of the new GW Baneblade considering the bottom has dropped out of the resin Baneblade market. My hard won Forgeworld Baneblades have lost considerable value since the advent of this kit and I'm surprised Forgeworld hasn't protested this copy. LOL

I'll not be using any parts from the Baneblade plastic kit. Almost every thing will be cast or scratch built including the nuts on the bolt on bumper. Rivets are the easiest of all, I use various sized straight pins. Pins have the added value of anchoring the armor panels where plastic is glued on resin and at the scale we're talking a round head and a hex head bolt are too similar to be concerned about IMHO.

About the only bits I used are the various hatches and doors and vents mainly from Leman Russ and Chimera kits.

The chopping continues:

http://i.imagehost.org/0388/9_17.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0388/9_17)

If I had it to do over again, I probably would not have chopped up the turret as apart from the excellent mount lock design there was very little left of the original turret when I finished.

http://i.imagehost.org/0770/10_7.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0770/10_7)

I feel like Sweeney Todd,

The Blackadder

15-04-2010, 12:42
Time to stop my mad careering path of destruction and actually do something constructive.

Using industrial quality 'Met-all' epoxy I formed the rear storage compartments on the turret and by laminating sheets of styrene from the slat of a cheap Venetian Blind fabricated the front turret shield. The strap hinges are from round stock and blind material.

http://i.imagehost.org/0679/11_19.jpg (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0679/11_19)

The main gun is a gray marker pen and the secondary gun is scratchbuilt out of various sized plastic tubing. styrene blind strips formed the edge gusset strips and decorating pins for Styrofoam ornaments cut to length form the rivets. I'm more than a little irritated that I didn't document the fabrication of the front hull details. The forward viewport hatch approximated the one that is offered as a bitz from the chimera kit that I didn't know was available. I have the dubious knowledge that mine required a couple of hours labor. The headlight housings, armor, hatch with periscope, periscope forward viewport splash shield were all hand crafted from styrene. Flare launchers and winged skull are the only bitz in the picture.

Insanity thy name is Blackadder

15-04-2010, 16:15
Bravo! Keep on, O courageous Edmund.