PDA

View Full Version : How dirty would this be (mega wish listing)

mafty
14-04-2010, 02:14
Alright, with the new BA dex, mephiston is clearly a beast. Hes basically a better and significantly faster avatar.

What I was thinking was this, since mephiston is now given 3 psychic powers, which make him mega awesome, what if the new Eldar dex gave the Avatar something similar (psychic powers that is). I mean, a fast, fleeting, fortuned avatar would be mega OP (but so is mehpiston).

It seems like something GW would do, I mean Eldar are the psyker army, why dont more things get pschic powers, crap everything in the BA dex has psychihc powers lol

Vedar
14-04-2010, 02:33
The Eldar and Chaos marine codex both got the less is more treatment. I'm sure in a few years when the new Eldar and Chaos codex come out they will have some interesting and quite expensive options. I think Avatars and Daemon Princes will get the Hive tyrant treatment. More powerful, but at a steep price increase. The days of Daemon Princes blotting out the sun are numbered, but until then use them if ya got em.

MajorWesJanson
14-04-2010, 04:11
The Eldar and Chaos marine codex both got the less is more treatment. I'm sure in a few years when the new Eldar and Chaos codex come out they will have some interesting and quite expensive options. I think Avatars and Daemon Princes will get the Hive tyrant treatment. More powerful, but at a steep price increase. The days of Daemon Princes blotting out the sun are numbered, but until then use them if ya got em.

I agree. Well, Daemon Princes will still be smaller, but things like the Avatar and Greater Daemons will likely price up somewhat and be more imposing.

For the Avatar specifically, I'd expect some leadership and attack boosts as an aura, and ailing Doom to be beefed up. Something like a S8 AP1 Lance when thrown, and ignores or forces rerolls of invul saves in CC.

Gensuke626
14-04-2010, 04:30
Personally, I expect the Avatars to get rules similar to the BA's Blood Talons rules...I mean, in 2nd ed he was like 3 attacks at ws 10...back when hand to had was resolved by roll your attacks, take the highest single die, add your WS, Add +1 for every 6 you roll after the first and -1 for every 1 you roll (Or something like that). Then you compare the totals. Whoever rolls highest inflicts a number of hits equal to how much he rolled higher than his opponent by.

So on average, an avatar would hit a space marine heroic captain something like 4 or 5 times per assault phase and take no attacks in return.

Reflex
14-04-2010, 08:12
wait though, how dirty would this be:

Necrons and Dark Eldar getting a new codex!

haha i crack myself up...

ontopic.
i dont think it would be dirty, i think it would be justified for eldar and chaos to get some super crazy powers. after all chaos is basically dudes running around in wet bathing suits covered in warp rather then water and eldar are.. well they made a chaos god because the are so in tune with that cesspool.

although i dont think the avatar should get any psychic powers, he is a manifest of a war/ murder god, i think he should just be a fiery ball of combat wrath with maybe a flamer... you know like he is suppose to be. not a calgar fist bitch like he is now...

Tokugawa100
14-04-2010, 11:21
wait though, how dirty would this be:

Necrons and Dark Eldar getting a new codex!

haha i crack myself up...

That would be nice, I wish the Avatar was more powerful but I wouldnt like the codex to be part of power creep, its not beffiting of the Eldar to be powerful nor to creep.
"oh wait":D
"There Eldar, their sneaky,.......:shifty:.....get it:D

Comrade Penguin
14-04-2010, 11:29
Oh I am terrified of what may happen to the Avatar with a new codex. If mephiston is any indication of the way 40k is going then you can expect some truly godlike chaos demon princes and a nasty avatar.

Arkturas
14-04-2010, 11:55
Yes but is the Avatar still nasty if it costs north of a Land Raider

Comrade Penguin
14-04-2010, 11:59
As long as he has abilities to match it I would be fine. Mephiston is well worth his points and he costs about as much as a landraider.

Blue Orphen
14-04-2010, 13:37
As long as he has abilities to match it I would be fine. Mephiston is well worth his points and he costs about as much as a landraider.

Mephy also sits comfortably on a 25mm base, can hide completely behind a Rhino, and moves like Jump Infantry.

The Avatar will NEVER enjoy the first two...and I doubt he'll ever be able to move the same as Mephy does.

Vepr
14-04-2010, 14:00
Mephy also sits comfortably on a 25mm base, can hide completely behind a Rhino, and moves like Jump Infantry.

The Avatar will NEVER enjoy the first two...and I doubt he'll ever be able to move the same as Mephy does.

The only thing Meph is missing is the 2d6 armor pen. With 6 str10 attacks I don't that the extra armor pen matters though. :p I still can't help but compare him to a winged tyrant or swarmlord and shake my head.

Comrade Penguin
14-04-2010, 14:43
The only thing Meph is missing is the 2d6 armor pen. With 6 str10 attacks I don't that the extra armor pen matters though. :p I still can't help but compare him to a winged tyrant or swarmlord and shake my head.

Agreed. I wish I could literally copy and paste his entry into my nid codex and call him an infested space marine lord or something. For about the same amount of points as our most powerful MCs he completely outpaces them in pure performance :wtf:

mafty
14-04-2010, 16:11

well im actually hoping they make the avatar faster somehow. give him some silly psycic power like mephy to move like he had wings. Justify it somehow in fluff and call it a day. I dont care if it costs 250 points, a fast avatar with fortune up is unstoppable lol.

w00tm0ng3r
14-04-2010, 21:33

WTF!?!? I figured the new codex would be more overpowered than putting Khorne on the table but how exactly does the codex justify this? Correct me if I'm wrong (don't play BA, don't have the codex, but it looks like I should start), but that trumps Kharn... Bloodthirsters can't even pull that s***... Exactly what the hell happened that made a pretty boy librarian stronger than a 30 foot incarnation of bloodshed?"

CrownAxe
14-04-2010, 21:50
WTF!?!? I figured the new codex would be more overpowered than putting Khorne on the table but how exactly does the codex justify this? Correct me if I'm wrong (don't play BA, don't have the codex, but it looks like I should start), but that trumps Kharn... Bloodthirsters can't even pull that s***... Exactly what the hell happened that made a pretty boy librarian stronger than a 30 foot incarnation of bloodshed?"
When he became a god by beating the Red Thirst

Well not a god, but he basically is.

It's actually quite fitting that he is stronger then a Bloodthirster since it was a Bloodthirster that caused the Geen-seed to have the Red Thirst in the first place

Worsle
14-04-2010, 22:05
It is a psychic power that makes Mephiston S10, a psychic power that every BA librarian has access too. It is also worth noting that a lot of BA powers are focused around self buffing too so you can atribute a lot of mephston's stats to innate psychic might. Oh and while we are at it BA are not codex creep might be confusing as GW has not done this before but they have been made different to C:SM not more powerful (or less powerful if you are a DA player).

Avatar needs to be a lot more powerful as it stands. Eldar do not have a set up that supports MC that well so really he needs to be good to justify his place and so do the wraithlords while we are at it. Lot of units need work to earn their place in the eldar codex when you take a good look at it, just a lot of balance problem there. Done by Phil Kelly too, not that he is to blame for all the faults but with books like this I'll never understand why he is warseers golden boy.

Devil-Tears
14-04-2010, 22:25
I'm pretty sure with the way things are going, the next time the marine codex roles by, you can take the Emperor. Most likely though, he'll just be slightly better than Mephiston, cuz you know, ones a demi-god while the other is just one. (I'll leave it up to you to figure out which is which)

Lord Humongous
15-04-2010, 00:11
When he became a god by beating the Red Thirst

Well not a god, but he basically is.

It's actually quite fitting that he is stronger then a Bloodthirster since it was a Bloodthirster that caused the Geen-seed to have the Red Thirst in the first place

How so? That's like saying my mom is more powerful then the 1943 US Airforce because she survived being in Dresden as a baby.

The bloodthirster (assuming that's how it happened) had the power to curse an entire geneline; that's a lot of power. Mephiston is the "one who got away", which makes him unique, but not inately more powerful than the bloodthirster. To whit, he hasn't undone all the OTHER damage the red thirst has done to all the OTHER BA's. I'd call that a pretty big net win for that bloodthirster.

(Anyhow- Bloodthirster? I thought it was "genetic memory imprinting" from Sanguinius dying at the hands of Horus. Which still doesn't necessarily make Mephiston all that powerful; his ability to master the rage nedn't confer god-powaz, even if it does imply great wisdom.)

Col. Tartleton
15-04-2010, 00:23
Nope it was a curse. But the killing of Sanguinius crossed the line into the Black Rage. The Red Thirst is just the insane bloodlust that Khorne gave them in an attempt to turn them against their will. The Black Rage is the result of everything that happened to Sanguinius in his final moments.

The thirst comes and goes and is to an extent a constant fear of losing their sanity temporarily and going berserk. The Rage is a death sentence of sorts. You're gone forever. Only Mephiston has beaten it (twice if you follow Swallow) but I think it's still a threat to him even if he isn't aware of it, it's just that he willed himself through it and the madness passed.

He should just be a better than average librarian with an incredible will that would help him in withstanding the perils of the warp. The fluff seems to be hinting there's something wrong that happened to him... he might be like... I'll just say one word. Arkio.