PDA

View Full Version : Awesome new Orc stuff

Brother Mordeus
14-04-2010, 02:24
Im just amazed at what they have put out. The boar boys are just wicked, same with the trolls, can't wait to get my hands on them.

Ultimate Life Form
14-04-2010, 02:36
Yes, this time they've scored a definite hit.

A few points:

As has been raised in another thread the River Trolls are insanely expensive (I gasped at the first moment) and the question was why people went mad over the Minotaurs while the Trolls who are just as expensive are happily welcomed. Answer: With the Minotaurs GW expects us to fork over a bucketload of cash for ********, while the River Trolls while expensive are so utterly amazing they give you the feeling you get quality for it. Very good quality. I hate Trolls, but I will get some just for the pure awesome. I dig this slimey-finny-hooky river style.

The Boar Boys. Oh well. The riders are okay, no question (except that they once again all look like clones in different armor but that is a general problem with the army), but the Boars... well, to be honest I expected a bit more. These Alf wannabes are an eyesore, but it is my conviction that they are yet again helpless victims of GW's horrible new painting policies.

Yes, both have once again been completely messed up by the 'eavy metal team. Some less (River Trolls), some more (Boar Boys and especially Boars). What exactly are GW up to!?! Normally you try to show the best side of your products in an ad, not... this. What kind of disease causes hair loss in Boar faces?

Rabid Bunny 666
14-04-2010, 03:46
The River Trolls are superb, they look exactly like the ones in the rulebook. I'll definately be picking up a box for the sake of painting.

Tenken
14-04-2010, 03:58
These models are too damn nice. I'm considering starting an O&G army for no reason other than those river trolls. They're just superb models! The boar boyz ain't bad either. Yes the mysterious hairless faces are weird but they're a sight better than the old ones if you ask me. Much more dynamic (and orcy) too.

Malice&Mizery
14-04-2010, 04:22
They're very pretty indeed.

This gives me high hopes for future O&G releases :)

outbreak
14-04-2010, 04:25
i just don't see what everyone is seeing in those river trolls. to me they look retarded. The new boars look pretty decent although the boars faces look like alf wannabes.

Ultimate Life Form
14-04-2010, 04:38
i just don't see what everyone is seeing in those river trolls. to me they look retarded.

Well I suppose that is the point. ;)

Bingo the Fun Monkey
14-04-2010, 07:23
Well I suppose that is the point. ;)

Argh! You beat me to it!:chrome:

Zapfork
14-04-2010, 07:40
The Trolls are decent...I have yet to decide if i like them better than the metal ones, but they are decent. The boarriders are great. Dynamic, mean, just right.
The boars on the other hand... *sigh*
I think their shaved heads look closer to the odd soccer hooligan than to a boars.
Probably another fine art from the pumbagor sculptor.

Witchblade
14-04-2010, 07:43
Why not make another thread on this eh? We only had 3 locked so far.

Denny_Crane
14-04-2010, 09:34
New trolls look awesome, made of plastic, cheaper and LOOK AWESOME (I think i already said that one)!

...Whats not to love?

New Boar Riders same story yet people still whinnying about these releases. If there was a commissar attached to Warseer I'm sure there would be some summary executions happening.

Ultimate Life Form
14-04-2010, 09:57
Why not make another thread on this eh? We only had 3 locked so far.

Those were in the rumors section where they were redundant copies and thus rightfully closed. This is a general discussion thread, and a very good idea.

I must say the quality of your posts lately is not to my liking. The condescending stance you treat other members with is not well recieved, and sometimes it appears to come down to blatant trolling. I shall report the next instance I witness.

dayfer
14-04-2010, 10:00
I am seriously considering collecting an o&g army now, It would my first warhammer army too.

Alathir
14-04-2010, 10:02
Just buy the trolls and stuff of Maelstrom, much better prices.

But yes, these kits are both awesome. I really, really love the trolls! Completely nailed in my opinion.

Memnos
14-04-2010, 10:20
I don't know why GW always seems to nail the trolls. The Stone Troll, with his single beady eye and one huge dinner-plate eye is one of the most characterful models in the range and it's decades old. Now, they've come out with the River Trolls are one of the best models they've ever released.

For some reason, GW can do no wrong with Trolls. Except the Chaos Trolls. I'm putting them in to the 'Refuse to believe they exist' part of my mind, with Highlander 2 and Masters of Orion 3.

EmperorNorton
14-04-2010, 10:32
I really like the boars, but I'm not as awed by the trolls as many seem to be.
If somebody could take the time to point out to me why they think the trolls are that great, I'd appreciate it.
I think they're okay and I'll probably get a box eventually, but I seem to be missing something.

Grimmeth
14-04-2010, 10:49
I think the paintjob on the trolls doesn't do them justice - the darker paint job looks much nicer, and they do succesfully combine the look of monstrous but stupid rather well.

Not got an Orc army, but I'm thinking some would go nicely for Blood Bowl...

Tokugawa100
14-04-2010, 10:59
Superb models, the River troll vomiting head looks a little odd to me but its still cool.
Im quite fond of the new Boar Boy boars, even if they do look like Alf:D

Alltaken
14-04-2010, 12:53
I'm so considering buying an O&G army after this!

darkstar
14-04-2010, 13:58
I, too, think that those trolls look badass, and am considering how much stuff I have or would have to get to have a solid orc and goblin force.

Valtiel
14-04-2010, 14:36
I really consider some Trolls for my Warriors of Chaos. They look great! :D

brendel
14-04-2010, 14:39
I have to get the boar boyz, my plans of an all goblin army out the window now, oh well ill think ill get over it.

Grapeshot
14-04-2010, 15:37
I like the new trolls and boar boyz. The boars do have a bit of cartoony looks to me. I like the trolls sickly yellowish-green colour scheme. The idea of a vomitting troll is great, its minis looks good, though it also got a cartoony face.

StarFyreXXX
14-04-2010, 15:40
the only thing i would have preferred for the trolls is for them to be taller...but oh well. they are great :)

Sanjay

Hammer49
14-04-2010, 17:37
Have to say I quite like the new trolls, they should be interesting to paint, while I really dislike the new boars (its basically the head I dont like).

zak
14-04-2010, 17:44
I don't have any River trolls currently. That will most certainly change. I really like the stance and character in the models and with the extra options in the box I can make them really individual.

Zurubbu
14-04-2010, 20:18
Seriously... I'd take minotaurs over those trolls. The orc boar boyz look retarded like always, and the only good looking things are those unboary boars.

Frep
14-04-2010, 20:23
I really like the new trolls and boarboyz, but I have a question. Would the boars be large enough to be used as razor gors? I guess it would take some conversion, but plastic is just so much nicer to work with than metal

Spike Fiend
14-04-2010, 20:33
Damn, I love these models!

The new Boar Boyz are great and SO much better than the old ones, with much more speed and brute force. But now the Boars pulling the Chariots and being ridden by Savage Orcs look more ridiculous than ever! XD

I guess that there is no need to explain why I love the new River Trolls... ^^
The only downside is that I now regret that I ever spent money on my old (previously beloved) River Trolls... :shifty:

Hojo
14-04-2010, 20:42
Will use those troll for chaos trolls.Boars look nice too.

Desert Rain
14-04-2010, 20:43
I really like the river trolls, and they look suspiciously fishmeny...:shifty:

The boars are better than the current ones by far but they look a bit to much like the pumbagors, and they have strange bald heads whcih I don't really like.

The new painting style on the armies isn't than appealing to me either, but I guess that's just a matter of personal taste. I much more prefer a gritty look than the super-neat ultra clean look of the recent models.

wizbix
14-04-2010, 21:05
Personaly I prefered the old river trolls. Sorry.

Witchblade
14-04-2010, 23:24
Those were in the rumors section where they were redundant copies and thus rightfully closed. This is a general discussion thread, and a very good idea.

I must say the quality of your posts lately is not to my liking. The condescending stance you treat other members with is not well recieved, and sometimes it appears to come down to blatant trolling. I shall report the next instance I witness.
How is this thread any different from the rumour section thread? It's a place where people give their opinions on the new Greenskin releases.

Volker the Mad Fiddler
15-04-2010, 00:39
Personaly I prefered the old river trolls. Sorry.

I agree. Though it is really only the puking one I don't like of this group. In general, they look a bit too 'fat' to me- too much like Jabba's guards from Return of the Jedi (that's what they made me think of). They are not bad, but I definitely prefer the old ones. The boars are okay, but the heads are a bit weird. How would they size up to the old heads?

As for the boyz being clones, well, aren't they. Sexual reproduction amongst the orcs is a concept simply beyond frightening.

Brother Mordeus
15-04-2010, 05:00
To be honest it would be simple to paint the faces differently on the boars, as well as not painting the eyes the same way. I think they are very nice im really happy ill finally have a beautiful unit as my boar boys. The sculpting is really good don't think people should complain about it.

Brian Nelson sculpted them no? I think he is an awesome sculptor cuddos to him.

Rosstifer
15-04-2010, 09:57
Great. Now all that cash from getting rid of all my 40k stuff is gonna end up on my new O&G army. Seriously though the models are great. But hey, I liked the new minotaurs. Actually I LOVED them. They look metal as ******.

Hojo
15-04-2010, 10:42
Looking at them again their only privilage is that they are cheaper than the metal ones.
The chaos trolls look a thousand times better.

duffybear1988
15-04-2010, 10:49
Im loving the trolls and will have to get some for my OnG and my WoC... heck I even quite like the paint job - its very cartooney. The boarboyz I could quite happily leave in the shop as they just look pants... pumbagors with riders it seems.

Brother Mordeus
16-04-2010, 01:48
Well the boars are really good, proportionate and all, its just the way they painted the head that makes it look weird.

Jind_Singh
16-04-2010, 03:50
I.....LOVED the new trolls! can't wait to get my paws on them1
Boar Boyz- the riders are insane! Love them!
The actual boars...while not horrible there is something about the head which really puts me off - just dont know why they are so long, hairless - and my issue is that they already had amazing plastic boar with the warboss/standard bearer kit - why deviate from that awesome pig!
Problem with river trolls - I dont use river trolls, if your going to pay a 20pt upgrade take magic resistance 2 with a 5+armour save for some tough to kill stone trolls! But now I need to somehow convince myself that no, river trolls are waaaay better - hold on...job done! River trolls are amazing and MUST be used in all my lists!

nanktank
16-04-2010, 06:34
I really like the models of the boarboyz boar and rider, the trolls I am fond of as well but I already have enough rare choices including normal trolls not to be swayed by them. The boarboyz though Im trying to justify buying them, as cool as they look theyre just not hard hitting enough gamewise, hopefully 8th edition improves their usefulness.

Mudkip
16-04-2010, 09:42
I really like the new trolls and boarboyz, but I have a question. Would the boars be large enough to be used as razor gors? I guess it would take some conversion, but plastic is just so much nicer to work with than metal

The Boars would make decent Razorgor if you used them 2 to a base and said it was a "boar stampede".

Valaraukar
16-04-2010, 11:11
I plan on using one as they're still quite large and I intend to add spikes, horns and spawn bits including a tail and bulk the fur out a bit around the shoulders to cover the joins for the additions.

rtunian
16-04-2010, 15:22
looks to me like the boars heads are not actually bigger than gnarla's or the warboss kit boar's head. they seem longer because they are not broken up by the plate, and the boar boyz champ's boar's head has a different, longer plate than gnarla or wb's, which goes all the way to the tip of the snout, as opposed to leaving a bit of snout sticking out. so it seems longer, but i think isn't

they look very much in line with gnarla & wb kit, though i am not keen on the idea of trading out any of my 2 chariots, 2 chuckas or lobba... though if i had 560ish to spend on special instead of 4 choices...

logan054
16-04-2010, 15:32
I am a massive fan of those river trolls, i think they make some excellent chaos trolls :D

Stuffburger
16-04-2010, 16:29
Now I'm feeling a bit silly for getting a bunch of the old savage boar boys off of ebay... Haven't even painted them up yet and already out of date :(

rtunian
16-04-2010, 17:08
idk stuff, if you were gonna buy the savages, you prob want savages and not regs converted to sav right? so wait a bit and buy the new boars from a bits seller (since you don't need riders) and presto-chango~

Lord Dan
16-04-2010, 17:17
I think the trolls have a similar problem to the minotaurs, which is that the bodies are just too wide. The details (like the vine on the club and the vomit) are fantastic, but they're really not well proportioned.

Nighthawke
16-04-2010, 22:09
I think the trolls have a similar problem to the minotaurs, which is that the bodies are just too wide. The details (like the vine on the club and the vomit) are fantastic, but they're really not well proportioned.

i dont understand people who say stuff like this :S they are river trolls , look at the old ones and the new ones and they are pretty much in the right proportions. they are meant to be fat stubby hunched trolls, the tall lanky ones are the stone trolls

Lord Dan
17-04-2010, 06:12
i dont understand people who say stuff like this :S they are river trolls , look at the old ones and the new ones and they are pretty much in the right proportions. they are meant to be fat stubby hunched trolls, the tall lanky ones are the stone trolls

Fat, stubby, and hunched is one thing. Taking a picture and stretching it to create the illusion of fat, stubby, and hunched is another. These models look like they were...well, stretched.

Ultimate Life Form
17-04-2010, 06:20
Is this more to your liking?

Valaraukar
17-04-2010, 08:49
sadly yes!

Garion
17-04-2010, 08:54
I think all their models are starting to look far too cartoony, I do still like them alot but probably slightly prefer the old trolls.

I don't understand why every time there is a new release in warhammer fantasy the models look more cartoon like, they should be going for realism.

Valaraukar
17-04-2010, 09:20
I agree, some of it is the ridiculous paint schemes but I fear part of it is their increasing reliance on digital sculpting. Don't get me wrong I kow this can be done to just as high a standard (or even higher as is the point) as manual sculpting but GW seems to end up with this too smooth too perfect cartoonsih look to a lot of their newer models.

EmperorNorton
17-04-2010, 09:27
they should be going for realism.

Why?

For realism I think I'd go to a historical game.

Valaraukar
17-04-2010, 09:39
I would like plausible looking fantastic creatures though if you get what I mean that look detailed and gritty etc. but crazy and magical. I think generally speaking the quality of anatomy, proportion and surface detail have all decreased whilst style and movement has somewhat increased.

5Pointer
17-04-2010, 11:32
I don't like either, the boar riders are average Orc, the boars are terrible. The Trolls look like they are from Hordes or something, not Warhammer.

Garion
17-04-2010, 11:41
I would like plausible looking fantastic creatures though if you get what I mean that look detailed and gritty etc. but crazy and magical. I think generally speaking the quality of anatomy, proportion and surface detail have all decreased whilst style and movement has somewhat increased.

I would completely agree, I want the models to look scary, gritty and realistic for the Warhammer universe but the models are starting to resemble something like Disney characters more and more each generation. There features are just getting very cartoon like. I do like the way each troop in a unit now looks individual and no longer looks static its just a shame you imagine your Orc units singing hi ho, hi ho, its off to work we go as you move your models across a battlefield, because you should be imagining blood curdling screams to the beat of an orc drum.

Urgat
17-04-2010, 14:13
the models are starting to resemble something like Disney characters more and more each generation.

That you choose a topic about orc and gob units to say that is pretty amazing. You've ever seen the older orc minis?

rtunian
17-04-2010, 15:59
you mean like shrek here?

Lord Dan
17-04-2010, 17:03
Is this more to your liking?

Yeah, that looks a lot better. The middle one in particular.

w3rm
17-04-2010, 17:04
I love those metal orcs!! And by the way the trolls and the boar boyz are siiiiick!

ftayl5
17-04-2010, 22:11
The Trolls are brilliant, especially the one thats vomitting :)

About the boars, I love them, they are anatomically correct too, as boars do not have hair covering their face, more of a fuzz, but how do you expect someone to model ultra tiny fuzz onto a model and how do you expect me to paint it? they definately got the snout size right.

Anyway, as anyone got them yet, I'm hoping you dont have to model half of it yourslef like the old boars. Are they bigger too? They look bigger and if they aint: :mad: ever compared an old boar boy to a chaos knight? :(

Rolo Ramone
18-04-2010, 17:26
In a first impression, I thought the trolls are great , but I have to admit that the look a bit "cartoony". Seems to be the sculpt style. Something similar with some of the Skaven character. Anyway, great models.

But the boars... Well, of course they are better than the older boars, but its not that great. I was thinking in something like this:

87239 87240 87241

Yeah... Those are boars...

Brother Mordeus
19-04-2010, 05:12
I do agree that models are looking more and more cartoonish :( I really hope they will make their models more realistic, thats what Warhammer is all about, a dark gritty fantasy world. I feel GW is stepping away from the dark atmosphere of their games, 40k and Fantasy.