PDA

View Full Version : Which edition did the codexes come from?

Axeman1n
14-04-2010, 03:26
I think I have this list correct, but could someone tell me if I got it wrong? Let me know if I missed any too.
-----====== Third Edition =====-------
Dark Eldar
Necron
----======= Fourth Edition =====-------
Daemonhunters
Eldar
Orks
Space Marines- Black Templar
Space Marines- Dark Angels
Witch Hunters
-----====== Fifth Edition ======------
Chaos Daemons
Chaos Space Marines
Imperial Guard
Space Marines
Space Marines - Blood Angels
Space Marines - Space Wolves
Tau Empire
Tyranid

GrogDaTyrant
14-04-2010, 03:34
Here, let me help you...

Dark Eldar
Necron
Daemonhunters
Witch Hunters
Tau Empire
Space Marines- Black Templar
Space Marines- Dark Angels
Eldar
Chaos Space Marines
Orks
Chaos Daemons
Imperial Guard
Space Marines
Tyranid

There, that should be about right... Not in order, however.

Tomalock
14-04-2010, 04:16
Its worth noting that orks and daemons could be put into 5th as they were written with that edition in mind. Daemons were released just a couple months prior to the launch of 5th. However it is true that 4th was still in effect when both hit the stands, so it really just matters whether you want to list them based on the date they released or which rule set they were intended for.

DJ3
14-04-2010, 04:27
No idea if it's entirely accurate, but Wikipedia has a list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_(Warhammer_40,000)

Reggen
14-04-2010, 04:40
I would still list orks under 4th as they don't have all the rules used in 5th. It is true it was made with 5th in mind i believe, but they had not given all the new rules names, where as daemons did use the wording from the 5th edition rule book, so daemons should be included in 5th imo.

ehlijen
14-04-2010, 05:57
Anything from Eldar onwards was written in the current codex style (SCs as part of the list, army list and army description entries for all units, first sighting of eternal warrior etc), which is markedly different from the styles used before, so it can be said that the latest design paradigm began with them (but obviously at that early stage not all 5th rules were set, so it's not a perfect match).

So 4th ed really only has the Tau and black templars as armies that were made with no regards to the likely shape of 5th ed. Eldar, Orks, Chaos and Dark Angels are sort of 4.5 test codices. Some worked better than others.

But as for the actual release dates, the second post has it spot on (even the order apart from 5th ed and the dark angels (they came after eldar)).

AbusePuppy
14-04-2010, 06:52
"Made with 5th in mind" is basically B.S.; Daemons, Orks, Eldar, and CSM all suffer heavily from being 4th Ed codices, with all the limits thereof.

AndrewGPaul
14-04-2010, 07:53
Imperial Guard
Space Marines
Tyranid

There, that should be about right... Not in order, however.

I believe the order goes
Space Marines
Imperial Guard
Space Wolves
Tyranids
Blood Angels.

There was also the 2-part Blood Angels army list in White Dwarf; wasn't that also technically 5th edition?

Sekhmet
14-04-2010, 08:11
I think this is more accurate?

Necrons 2002
Daemon Hunters 2003
Dark Eldar (2d edition) 2003
Witch Hunters 2004
Space Marines- Black Templar 2005
Tau Empire 2006
Eldar 2006
Space Marines- Dark Angels 2007
Chaos Space Marines 2007
Orks 2008
Chaos Daemons 2008
Space Marines 2008
Imperial Guard 2009
Space Marines - Space Wolves 2009
Tyranids 2010
Space Marines - Blood Angels 2010

Italics means they were released in a previous edition, but designed/updated with the next edition in mind. Orks, for example, had rules that made absolutely no sense until 5th came out.

Thanatos_elNyx
14-04-2010, 08:30
The Dark Eldar 2nd Edition was a joke of an update, all they got was some wargear and the option for Wych armies.

Half of those wargears don't even work in 5th Ed.

ehlijen
14-04-2010, 09:33
Witchhunters were definetly 3rd ed, not 4th ed. I have to confess I don't know if the Dark eldar update came in 4th, but I thought it was 3rd as well.

As for the 4.5 dexes, they also suffered from 5th edition not being out yet:
-gahzkull gained bonus attacks for charging, but immediatly lost them because SaP didn't change until 5th ed
-deamons got offensive and defensive grenades which were not defined anywhere until 5th ed came out

No, they were not perfectly fitted for 5th, because 5th was not out yet. But 'they were meant to work in 4th' was just as wrong.

Bloodknight
14-04-2010, 09:43
Dark Eldar (2d edition) 2003

The copyright date in that book says 2001.

Axeman1n
14-04-2010, 11:52
Thanks for the history lesson guys. I can't believe some of the codecies are that old.

Leftenant Gashrog
14-04-2010, 12:59
I believe the order goes
There was also the 2-part Blood Angels army list in White Dwarf; wasn't that also technically 5th edition?

The rules were cooked up along with the 4e Dark Angel codex, they did 'update' the pdf for 5th edition but all they did was fix the errata and remove the FAQ.

GrogDaTyrant
14-04-2010, 19:31
"Made for 5th edition" is total hogwash. Anyone can clearly see the differences in 5th edition codices and 4th edition, just by opening them up and looking at the army-list entries and paying close attention to the design philosophies.

Orks, CSM, Daemons are all 4th ed codices. They're not 5th. They may have made the transition into the 5th edition rules better than say 'Tau Empire' or 'Necrons', but they definitely weren't developed using 5th edition's style and development process.

Corrode
14-04-2010, 20:11
DE and Witch Hunters are both 3rd edition books - GrogDaTyrant's list is correct. As for 'made for 5th', the Chaos Daemon book is a 5th edition book - it came out 6 weeks before 5th edition did, and many of the rules in C:CD reference 5th ed rather than 4th ed. CSM, Orks and Eldar were made with 5th in mind - by which they were designed around the concepts which would eventually make up 5th edition - but that isn't the same thing as being 'designed in 5th edition'. It certainly shouldn't be taken as any kind of indication that they're 'true' 5th edition codices.