PDA

View Full Version : Starting 40 with Imperial Guard

H33D
14-04-2010, 06:43
So I am currently only involved in Warhammer Fantasy, but am looking into collecting an Imperial Guard army and starting 40k. The armies I currently play in fantasy are Dwarves and Beastmen. I am very interested in a WWII russian 'Vostroyan' themed army.

So I have a few simple questions, and I hope this is the right place to ask them.

-Do the different infantry types (cadian, catachan, vostroyan etc) have any different effect at all other than different looking models?

-Would bringing a lot of sniper rifles leave weaknesses in my army as a whole? If so, what else could I bring to counter this weakness?

-What is a good starting force? I am looking at around 1000 points with the basic command unit HQ, 2 platoons as Troops, Ogryns, and some vehicles of some sort. Is this a decent skeleton for a list to be built on, or should other choices be made at 1000 points?

-What is your best advice for playing as the Imperial Guard?

Thanks very much for your help. This army looks VERY excellent to paint and collect! I am thinking of creating fuzzy russian caps for my Ogryns so they fit the theme of the army :)

Let me know what you think and any other advice you have. It is very much apprecitated!

Desert thunder
14-04-2010, 07:53
-The armies don't have a difference, as all the rules are the same, the only difference in armies would be the HQ models.
-Having lots of Snipers has its strength in being able to take out infantry, it's possible for the snipers to destroy vehicles through well placed shots, but I wouldn't count on it when engaging vehicles. It would be better if you invested in some anti armor units like heavy weapon squads.
I don't know anything else, I started with IG and just built my army around having fun not really winning.

Vaktathi
14-04-2010, 07:58
So I have a few simple questions, and I hope this is the right place to ask them.

-Do the different infantry types (cadian, catachan, vostroyan etc) have any different effect at all other than different looking models? Generally not, Vostroyan's in the previous book were a Carapace armor force and as a result Vostroyan First Born units, fluffwise, are probably best portrayed by Vet's with Grenadiers (Carapace Armor) but they don't *have* to be.

-Would bringing a lot of sniper rifles leave weaknesses in my army as a whole? If so, what else could I bring to counter this weakness? Sniper Rifles aren't great weapons, they are probably the weakest of all IG special weapons. They are "heavy" as opposed to Assault or Rapid Fire, and don't pack the hitting power of the other special weapons

-What is a good starting force? I am looking at around 1000 points with the basic command unit HQ, 2 platoons as Troops, Ogryns, and some vehicles of some sort. Is this a decent skeleton for a list to be built on, or should other choices be made at 1000 points? three carapace vet units, a company command squad, chimeras to put them in, maybe a Leman Russ or a couple Hydra's, and a small Ogryn squad if you really want them?

-What is your best advice for playing as the Imperial Guard? Chimeras...

Also, keep it cheap. Do not spend any more points than are absolutely necessary on a unit to get its job done. Don't bother with powerweapons, Camo Nets, or Medic's and the like, put those points to more meltas, tanks and autocannons.

Benigno (WE)
14-04-2010, 08:15
-Do the different infantry types (cadian, catachan, vostroyan etc) have any different effect at all other than different looking models?

No, they are the same, you can take them as you want.

-Would bringing a lot of sniper rifles leave weaknesses in my army as a whole? If so, what else could I bring to counter this weakness?

The sniper rifles are a poor special weapon choice. The Vostroyan forces don't use abhumans if I remember correctly, but you can use Vostroyan Snipers as 'Ratlings' if you like them, they are a 'decent' way to include snipers.

-What is a good starting force? I am looking at around 1000 points with the basic command unit HQ, 2 platoons as Troops, Ogryns, and some vehicles of some sort. Is this a decent skeleton for a list to be built on, or should other choices be made at 1000 points?

With Vostroyans the best way is Veterans mechanized army, so a HQ with Plasmas and Medic, 3 veterans squads, and some tanks and armoured Sentinels are the way to go.

Don't take Ogryns, they are the worst and more expensive choice in our codex, and they don't fit with the Vostroyan theme, even with fur hats...

Keep the units as cheap as possible, and if you have spare points, add more boots.

There are no melta Vostroyan model I think, so you may want to convert the Flamer Vostroyan models into Melta guns maybe.

Thanks very much for your help. This army looks VERY excellent to paint and collect! I am thinking of creating fuzzy russian caps for my Ogryns so they fit the theme of the army :)

If you really love the Ogryns go ahead, it can be funny, but not fluffy :)

Let me know what you think and any other advice you have. It is very much apprecitated!

Good luck :)

theJ
14-04-2010, 11:39
Q-Do the different infantry types (cadian, catachan, vostroyan etc) have any different effect at all other than different looking models?
A-Nope, they're the same as far as the rules are concerned.

Q-Would bringing a lot of sniper rifles leave weaknesses in my army as a whole? If so, what else could I bring to counter this weakness?
A-You'd be leaving weaknesses alright - snipers are good for pinning dangerous units (although a lot are resistant), but they cannot bring an army down on their own.

Q-What is a good starting force? I am looking at around 1000 points with the basic command unit HQ, 2 platoons as Troops, Ogryns, and some vehicles of some sort. Is this a decent skeleton for a list to be built on, or should other choices be made at 1000 points?
A-Sounds like it'd work as a classic gunline army to me, make sure you keep your ogryns safely behind cover or out of line of sight and use them ONLY to counter charge whatever makes it through the rain of lasshot and heavy weapons you'll be putting out from your platoons - ogryns are powerful but they're too costly and low in number to charge enemy lines proper (great for protecting your squishy guardsmen though). Make sure you bring some potent AT weapons, as you'll need to down enemy transports fast - heavy weapon squads with lascannons can work for this, either that or those chimaeras with melta vets that everyone seems to love these days. Leman Russes are never a bad option.

Q-What is your best advice for playing as the Imperial Guard?
A-Be prepared to paint a rediculous number of models, don't ever charge into melee, don't get angry when your guardsmen get slaughtered by the hundreds. :p

Bunnahabhain
14-04-2010, 12:04
So I am currently only involved in Warhammer Fantasy, but am looking into collecting an Imperial Guard army and starting 40k. The armies I currently play in fantasy are Dwarves and Beastmen. I am very interested in a WWII russian 'Vostroyan' themed army.

I think you'd better look a bit further back than WW2 Russia for the Vostroyans. A good 100 years or so...

No effect, but if you have a force including say veterans, regular infantry and conscripts, the different infantry are a good way to differentiate them.

Yes, mainly due to taking up the spaces for more useful special weapons. If you wish to use them, by far your best bet is ratlings, or counts as ratlings.

I'll just quote Vakathi, due to it being a good answer...three carapace vet units, a company command squad, chimeras to put them in, maybe a Leman Russ or a couple Hydra's, and a small Ogryn squad if you really want them?

[/QUOTE]
-Chimeras are very, very good.
-Keep units cheap. Decide on their purpose, fit them for that purpose, and give them nothing else.
-Be careful about combat. You can win it, but it's not easy, and only if you are using the right units in the right way.
- Focus your firepower, destroy/cripple enemy units, and move onto the next one. Lots of enemy units are very dangerous, even if reduced down to just a few men. You'll learn which ones, but most are some kind of space marine...

Grubnar
17-04-2010, 20:05
I just thought I should give you two little warnings nobody has had the good grace to give you already.

1. Vostroyans are an expencive army to collect because all the infantry models are made of metal. (So are the Valhallans if you are looking for a World War Two themed Russian army). You can get around this by having fewer infantry that normal, by useing veterans rather then regular infantry.

2. The Imperial Guard is addictive. You start out with just several squads and a few tanks and before you know it you have an entire army made up of many different regiments, armored support, some navy flyers and their own administrative staff!

Happy gaming.

baphomael
17-04-2010, 20:53

WWII russian themed vostroyans? Interesting, but vostroyans dont really look anything like the WWII Red Army - Valhallens, on the other hand, *are* WWII Red Army (only, with lasguns instead of Mosin-Nagants and little skulls instead of red star cap badges). I suppose vostroyans could fit as cossack themed stormtroopers or veterans, but really they look too much like Streltsi for WWII Red Army.

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
17-04-2010, 22:53

1. Do the different infantry types (cadian, catachan, vostroyan etc) have any different effect at all other than different looking models?

2. Would bringing a lot of sniper rifles leave weaknesses in my army as a whole? If so, what else could I bring to counter this weakness?

3. What is a good starting force? I am looking at around 1000 points with the basic command unit HQ, 2 platoons as Troops, Ogryns, and some vehicles of some sort. Is this a decent skeleton for a list to be built on, or should other choices be made at 1000 points?

4. What is your best advice for playing as the Imperial Guard?

A Vostroyan WWII Russian style army is going to be expensive. I don't know what you have in mind for you platoons, but for a Russian style list, I would suggest 2 10man squads, 1 hvy wpns team and a large conscript squad in each platoon.

1. The different models don't have any special rules, but the fluff behind each of them have a different play style that can be emulated by taking different units and upgrades from the codex.

2. While sniper rifles sound cool, unfortunately the rules don't support them as very effective. If you want a sniper squad, I would suggest using the rules for the ratling entry with whatever sniper models you want. This way they aren't too expensive and you don't waste the shots of the rest of the squad.

3. What you gave could be ok, it completely depends on how you fill in the details. I would suggest taking at least 1 vet squad in a chimera at a minimum. A mobile troop choice is a must. For the ogryns, think about how you want to use them. Are they a counter-assualt unit for your platoon squads or will they be in a chimera assaulting enemy positions with your vets?

4. Fully mech guard are very popular and a pretty good list right now. Don't let this discourage you from trying anything else. Balanced IG lists (ie a mix of troops and tanks) can still be competitive. Whatever list you decide to build, just make sure you cover the basics (anti-tank, anti-infantry, some mobility, counter-assault).

Also, just because you are using Vostroyan models, doesn't mean they have to be Vostroyans. The Imperium is huge and they could be any regiment you want to make up with their own fighting style and doctrines.

Olja
18-04-2010, 02:15

The only effect IG models might have on the game is if you were using Catachans and upgraded them to Grenadiers. I think you would have a hard time convincing somebody they are wearing carapace armor.;)

If you are going to convert your Ogryns may I recommend using fantasy Ogres. They already look kinda Russian.

And as another poster wrote, Vostroyans are going to cost you some coin. But as an IG player you will get used to spending money. :D

wazatdingder
18-04-2010, 03:05
I notice most people are saying that there is no difference in infantry legions. While technically this is true, there is a difference in what weapons are available for the models, especially the metal. And as people say, Vostroyans are better as Vets since they got carapace armors.

As for those who whine about cost, your one of them or your not. Hopefully not, true guard players play \m/.

Play what turns you on, snipers have their down side, compensate in other places.

Fithos
18-04-2010, 05:05
I play a guard army with a lot of sniper rifles in it as part of an artillery regiment. I find it to be very competitive. If you like a theme then just find a way to make it work for you.

elite_dannux
18-04-2010, 08:45
The only effect IG models might have on the game is if you were using Catachans and upgraded them to Grenadiers. I think you would have a hard time convincing somebody they are wearing carapace armor.;)

Sister Repentia HAS 4+ save and they are naked ;)

Logarithm Udgaur
18-04-2010, 17:01
The different style figures only have an effect on the army list if you build it toward the background, so Cadians would have Karskin (Carpaced Vets). Catachans would have no/minimal tanks, Sentinels, and Ogryn. Vostroyans would have Carapace on everyone that could take it, etc...

Like people have said, the Sniper Rifle is not the most brilliant weapon. It is very cheap though, so you can have a lot of them. The biggest problem with them to me is that they a basically only an anti-infantry weapon. The other special weapons all have some utility against both vehicles and infantry, while a Sniper Rifle is rather a lost cause against vehicles. You can enhance there effects with a Psyker Battle Squads power that drains Ld. To mitigate the weakness of the Sniper Rifle, I would suggest lots of other heavy weapons, prefferably vehicle mounted.

Th force you list looks pretty good to start. You may want to leave out the Ogryn for lower point games and just load up more manpower.

The Imperial Guard Tactics Thread
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212569&page=272
Its message tends to get lost in over 250 pages, but there is a good tactics article at the start, and plenty of people to help you with any questions.

H33D
19-04-2010, 17:33
Yeah I am new to 40k so I wasn't aware of how poor Ogryns are in a list. I picked Vostroyans for my 'WWII' theme because I can't find many valhallan miniatures and I don't think the valhallan ones look so good anyway. It will really be sort of a mix WWII red army/Cossacks etc.

My plan at this point is to fill out a regular platoon and a command platoon, put the command platoon and veteran platoon in chimeras, group the normal infantry together and bring a squad of scout sentinels and a leman russ.

What I don't know at this point is what weapons to field with my units. I have been browsing different lists and tactica and came up with various tactics. I think I will have at least one lascannon heavy weapon squad and give my chimera units meltas etc. Heavy flamers on the chimeras themselves.

So since I am new you guys can count me as stupid for now. That being said is there anything I should really know? Anything a new player wouldn't know would be something I don't know as well...

Thanks for the help with your suggestions btw

IGoblinego
19-04-2010, 18:45
Do the different infantry types (cadian, catachan, vostroyan etc) have any different effect at all other than different looking models?
(No.)

Would bringing a lot of sniper rifles leave weaknesses in my army as a whole? If so, what else could I bring to counter this weakness?
(yes, there's always weaknesses, you just have to reduce the limit of them.)

What is a good starting force? I am looking at around 1000 points with the basic command unit HQ, 2 platoons as Troops, Ogryns, and some vehicles of some sort. Is this a decent skeleton for a list to be built on, or should other choices be made at 1000 points?
(It's you're choise how you do you're force, this question should be placed in tactics quarter.)

What is your best advice for playing as the Imperial Guard?
(Trust In The Numbers!)

There you go, my opinions straight in the quote.

elite_dannux
19-04-2010, 20:34
There are also some thirdparty model manufacturers other than GW/FW.

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/index.htm
Pig-Iron are perhaps one of the most common models as they are made as "replacement" ig soldiers with most special/heayweapon options ready.

example regular infantry: http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery
Warmachine differ some in style but have some really nice models too.

example trench units: http://privateerpress.com/files/products/cygnar/units/trencher-unit.png

PigIron heads fits GW bodies and so on. Alot to choose from.

Archangel_Ruined
19-04-2010, 22:29
If you want snipers then ratling squads are the way to field them (with vostroyan sniper counts as models if you're going for a theme), they don't get the problem of move or fire as they can infiltrate and all have sniper rifles, so you put them where you want and fire away. Ogryns aren't useful in smaller forces, too pricey and no assault vehicle platform damages their effectiveness, if you really want them then go for it though, this is a fun game after all. I'm building up a mech vet list, to replace my 4th ed grenadier force, chimeras are the daddy in the new list. I'd run flamers, grenade launchers or melta guns in the infantry, they don't penalise movement so you can perform drive by attacks from your transports.

AFnord
19-04-2010, 22:47
Generally speaking, when building infantry squads the only upgrades you want on them are weapons. It's also usually worth giving them both a heavy weapon team, and an other weapon (if you have stationary squads, grenade launchers are always useful, as they are cheap, and can still add some fire once the enemy gets close). If you run chimera mounted vet squads, then meltas are quite useful. Other upgrades can have their place in a squad, but it's usually better to simply aim for more squads.

Wicksy
19-04-2010, 23:07
As someone who has never beaten 5th edition IG and only drawn with them twice, i feel qualified as to what can win ;)

Tanks.....IG get arguably the best transport in the game - the Chimera. I'd trade all those bloody stormravens and fast rhinos for chimeras. AV 12 and armed with a multilaser and heavy bolter. Plus has either 4 or 6 fire points (cant remember off the top of my head).

My mate generally runs stripped down leman russes with battle cannons plus a demolisher for harder to crack stuff. He then takes a nice large unit of guardsmen - say 30 - 40 with a comisar and sgts. Doesnt tool anyone up except the comisar with a power weapon. Then as many meltas or plasmas as can fit. He usually takes another 20 man squad with 2 lascannons that sits on a home objective with a commisar.

Stick in appropriate command squads etc.. Use the master of ordinance...a good laugh and very useful. Also take Sly Marbo.....the best 60pts ever spent!

Er, now grab some veteran squads in chemeras with meltas and a demo charge.

Basically the IG army is so flexible you can sit and prioratise your tagets and keep hitting them until they die. Landraiders - enough pies and meltas and they die. The troops inside....same.