PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting skaven (1k)

vorthain
15-04-2010, 02:09
I'm a little burned out on my 3k Dark Elf army, so I'm considering starting a small skaven army. I'm still not sold on if it is a good idea or not, but here is what I am thinking I would do. Let me know what you think.

Warlock Engineer (158)
- Level 2
- Warplock Pistol
- Doom Rocket
- Warlock Optics

Stormvermin x 20 (220)
- Full Command
- Ratling Gun

Clanrats x 40 (265)
- Full Command
- Shields
- Poison Wind Mortar

Giant Rats x 7 (29)

Rat Ogres x 5 (208)

Warplock Jezzail Sharpshooters x 4 (120)

Do you think this might be a good starting point? It will have a big infantry base, some ogres for the tough stuff, and some fair shooting. Thoughts?

therat
15-04-2010, 02:58
Engineers are good, but one thing you really need to think about in a Skaven army is leadership. The chieftain has ld6, so any rank & file units would be able to max out at ld9 instead of 8.

Stormvermin are more fluffy than good. I use them in every battle because I'm a fluffy kind of guy.

In a 1k battle I wouldn't feel bad about taking clanrats in units of 20. I'd split the 40 in half.

The mortar is my favorite weapon team. Ratling guns are decent, not crazy good like last edition, but I'd say still worth their points.

I haven't used rogres yet this edition. I didn't use them at all in 5th & 6th, never really liked them. I've been meaning to use them and plan to in upcoming battles. My only suggestion is that you might be taking too many for 1k. I'm going to use 4 in my 2250 army.

Jezzails are always good :D

Everything looks good for the most part. If I were to tell you to change something it would probably be the engineer to a chieftain. The ld bonus can help a lot. The rest is really personal choice and play style. A 1k by me wouldn't look like this, but I think yours will still be effective. The rogre unit might be a big target, though.

vorthain
15-04-2010, 03:22
Right, I just like engineers as I was thinking going Skryre, model-wise. Stormvermin have absolutely fantastic models, but I suppose that might not be enough to carry an army. I was torn on the clanrat unit size, but good point. Rat Ogres, I was thinking, would be good because they'd be something big and strong. Also I have ideas of making them more Skryre-y using mostly Necron bits.

Another reason, and this is not really a army list related thing, is that skaven all tend to look alike (rat-men wearing rags). Rat ogres offset this. Thanks for the comments though. Still on the fence...

Also, how do I change my army tag from beasts to rats?

Xynok
15-04-2010, 17:17
Your jezzies are priced wrong. That's 4 you've got down for the points of 6.

Looks a little bit prone to problems though. 40 Clanrats is a bit much to invest in one unit IMO at this points level. 25/30 is more common.

BSBs are really important for the leadership for that all important reroll. Plus it lets you stick in some support and combat res.

At the end of the day it's your army but i'd be more inclined to drop the warlock's equipment down and an ogre and use 2 units of 25 clanrats and a BSB without really sacrificing much.

therat
15-04-2010, 17:19
Skryre is one of my two favorite clans, the other being Pestilens. Skryre themed armies give a lot of conversion possibilities, you can pretty much go wild.

No matter what you end up doing, getting the models you mentioned will not hurt you at all. In my opinion there's a use for every unit in the Skaven army (except maybe some special characters).

Another thing I thought of was to ask you what kind of DE army you had. I assume you want something that will play differently. If you ran a CC heavy list, Skryre is an excellent choice because it is primarily ranged (except for the doomwheel). If you ran shooting you might consider focusing on Moulder or Pestilens.

vorthain
16-04-2010, 14:21
@Stuart Tombs - My mistake regarding the jezzails. I thought you could upgrade any number to sharpshooters, but I realize now that is a unit champion. I will take a look at Battle Standard Bearers too.

@therat - My dark elf army was fairly melee-heavy and magic-light, which was another point for Skryre.

Dantès
16-04-2010, 17:23
My advice to you, is to drop the 40 clanrats to 30, drop a rat ogre, and downgrade the sharpshooter, to pick up a chieftain, and maybe a unit of 21 slaves plus muso for more bodies.