PDA

View Full Version : OK So I have been out of WFB for a while.

Sedge
16-04-2010, 10:40
I stopped playing fantasty after getting annoyed with the balance issues and the power creep. It happened about the time that WotR came out so I jumped into that system which I have really enjoyed. I recently went to a freindly tournament for WFB (Whoops Apocalypse.) which was a lot of fun.

Anyway I would like to get back into WFB a bit more this year with the prospect of the new Rulesets release. I was thinking of collecting a themed skaven army along the lines of the old Bubonic Court (all Clan Pestilence) and I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Are monoclan armies any good? Is that big new furnace thing any good? Does anyone have any hints and tips on making a catapult thing (I can't remeber the name)?

How do the rumors about WFB Version 8 will effect the Skaven army? Will it be positive or not. Just random musings obviously nothing is concrete yet.

Thanks all
Sedge

Kayosiv
16-04-2010, 10:50
Having a friend who's favorite clan is pestilence, yes, a mono clan army can work, and pestilences is one of the most powerful.

Skry doesn't hold the market on range any more, and plague censor bearers, while powerful in 6th edition, have been super charged (another extra attack, FOR, FREE) and clan pestilence heroes are now wizards.

The list is a bit hard to control with just about everything in it having frenzy, but it is a terror to behold, and plague furnaces are extremely good, some claim better than the screaming bell.

Trying to make a plague mortar, no idea; I'm sure others will be able to help you in that regard.

Heimagoblin
16-04-2010, 11:00
plauge furnaces are certainly better than screaming bells when used with a sizeable amount of monks

Sedge
16-04-2010, 11:28
A few questions then...
So what is so good about the plauge furnaces?
Plague preists can cast spells! Wow, how good is that. What are the spells like?
I am aiming for a 1500pt army to start with, what troops can comfortably fit into the pestilence theme?

yabbadabba
16-04-2010, 11:34
Your probably best off having a look at the book mate. Also, with the new ruleset coming out this year, you kind of have 2 choices. If you are getting an army to be "competitive" you might want to wait until the new BRB comes out so you can evaluate what you favour. On the other hand if you just love a themed skaven army, then how they play under the new rules won't make much difference you can start collecting now.

Dai-Mongar
16-04-2010, 11:39
I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't point out that the clan is actually called Pestilens.
Ahem.
More relevantly, Skaven were released so recently that it would seem likely that they were designed alongside 8th ed, so they will probably fare quite well in the new environment.

Valaraukar
16-04-2010, 11:58
On the catapult front, a good conversion can be made from the O&G rock lobber plus the vat of liquid from the screaming bell on the end which you won't use if you make a furnace, any plague monks etc. for crew.

Sedge
16-04-2010, 11:58
I have the new Skaven book coming soon so I will have agood read when it turns up. I know it is called Pestilens but I used to run the Bubonic court army for a lot of years and old habits die hard. I did everything I could with them, they even won me a tournament and I always did quite well with them. They were hard with all the frenzy but a lot of fun.

I think that the new book won't give me as many plague monks as I'd like being special along with the Censer bearers, but I will try out th etheme anyway.

For 1500pts I was thinking 3 Priests +furnace all wizards if possible.
2 big monk units
1 big PCB unit
Mortar thing
slaves
rats nd clanrats (are any weapons team inkeeping with the theme?)

Any thoughts. I know I don't what points yet but roughly what I want to do.

Valaraukar
16-04-2010, 12:05
There are poison wind mortars as weapons teams now, technically skyre but I always thought of them as plague globes and quite in keeping with clan pestilens.

Sedge
16-04-2010, 13:53
Well the book just turned up and I have to say 'Nice'. Not sure if poison wind mortars really fits the theme. I think the Rat swarms would be ok (are they any good?) and possibly the giant rats (are they too moulder?).

The spells are ace and there are a view good magic items, looks like i will enjoy the new skaven :D

PeG
16-04-2010, 14:28
For 1500pts I was thinking 3 Priests +furnace all wizards if possible.
2 big monk units
1 big PCB unit
Mortar thing
slaves
rats nd clanrats (are any weapons team inkeeping with the theme?)

Any thoughts. I know I don't what points yet but roughly what I want to do.

3 furnaces at 1500 points :eek:

If you are looking for friendly games and playing against your opponent more than once you might want to reconsider that part. Also they do cost a rather large amount of points (at least for being skaven) and taking three will limit your other choices.

Taken together you have a rather unfriendly list even if you remove a furnace and add some weapon teams (not sure you can fit everything in 1500 points).

ZeroTwentythree
16-04-2010, 16:26
Furnaces are only an extra 100 points, so not too expensive. But you do need a separate monk unit for each furnace.

While it may seem initially powerful, the list does have some weaknesses. The furnaces can be targeted by magic and shooting, and all those frenzied troops can be baited around the battlefield all day long.

Not sure what you mean by a "big" PCB unit, but after a certain point, it's not worth making them larger. You need to get enough guys into combat and pile up attacks. Beyond that, it's just extras.