PDA

View Full Version : Crappy Shoulder Pack

Estacado
17-04-2010, 08:21
Just letting everybody know, dont go buying the Blood Angel shoulder pad blister. The old metal ones that have been around since 98 or something. I got mine home today (after having to wait a fortnight for delivery) only to find they barely fit on a marine at all. They are far too small and dont really 'wrap' the whole way around and just look silly when paired with a normal plastic pad.
Very dissapointed GW!
Anybody have similar stories of bad quality products?

Reflex
17-04-2010, 08:42
sorry but i have to laugh at this as it happened to a mate, except he thought he would buy like 20 packs.

it sucks but older marines were smaller to the ones we have now...

Simo429
17-04-2010, 08:55
ive never had a problem using the ragnar shoulder pads on grey hunters

grissom2006
17-04-2010, 09:02
Not had this problem at all and i had a 6000pts BT army all with metal pads.

swifty2
17-04-2010, 09:48
They are smaller but they're not as bad as your making out, and theres no way in hell i'm hand painting 50 flesh tearer symbols :D

xxRavenxx
17-04-2010, 10:20
They will fit. I built 30 of the buggers last year for somene.

What I will say though, is I think they look pretty crummy. My personal preference is to stick to the regular plastic pads.

MadHatter
17-04-2010, 10:56
take the metal pad and put a bit of oil over it and the press a bit of green stuff over it, make sure you cover the entire emblem. carefully remove it. let fully harden and then you have a molde to make your new emblem for the plastic shoulder pads. apply oil to the inside mold and then press in fresh green stuff, remove and while still ply able use a bit a glue and place over shoulder gently. or wait till it dries if it easier for you. just get it out of the molde as quickly as you finish it.

DarkstarSabre
17-04-2010, 13:19
Wait a minute.

Aren't those Blood Angel shoulders essentially the same ones that were used with the Jump Pack Honour Guard and the metal Death Company?

The ones who used the Assault Marine arms which are the very same as the ones now?

Yeah. Maybe a bad cast requiring some cleaning but these are NOT as bad as you are making out. The only ones that are from 2nd edition are some of the Chaos Space Marine pads (from the old metal Veterans.)

Mannimarco
17-04-2010, 15:53
My old alpha legion pads were perfect, got 10 packs of them

someone2040
18-04-2010, 04:32
Wait a minute.

Aren't those Blood Angel shoulders essentially the same ones that were used with the Jump Pack Honour Guard and the metal Death Company?

The ones who used the Assault Marine arms which are the very same as the ones now?

Yeah. Maybe a bad cast requiring some cleaning but these are NOT as bad as you are making out. The only ones that are from 2nd edition are some of the Chaos Space Marine pads (from the old metal Veterans.)
They are. The original poster is just over-reacting.
They are smaller, but can be used on current day Space Marines. The problem is, they will look odd if you use one of the metal ones and then a regular marine pad on the other shoulder.

Just a pity that there are regular plastic pads in the Death Company set, but you'd have to buy a ton of boxes to get enough (and they'll be a hot commodity for bits as well).

It does make me wonder why they don't update them though. It would take them so little time to invest in these packs to update them to a proper size.

Gensuke626
18-04-2010, 04:35
So Glad I'm using Nightlords metal pads...those babies are designed for the current CSM set...so they fit loyal marines fine.

sorienor
18-04-2010, 08:06
I used the metal pads on my assault squads, the size difference really isn't noticeable and I had no issues with fit.

Vermin-thing
18-04-2010, 08:28
Try running them under hot water and then bending them with a soft tool so that they fit. i can understand that they might look odd with plastic pads.

world in grey
18-04-2010, 10:57
There are so many spare pads on the death company and sanguinary guard frames you really don't need the metal ones, I know they's not exact chapter symbols on all of them but you can improvise

shabbadoo
18-04-2010, 11:58
People may not realize that some of the GW metal shoulder pads are modeled off of the 2E era plastic shoulder pads, while others were patterned off of the newer(i.e. current) 3E era shoulder pads. You can tell which ones you've got by looking at the back side of the shoulder pad trim. If it is smooth and flat then it is a 2E era pattern shoulder pd. If there are the usual indentations along the back of the rim, you have a 3E era shoulder pad.

The 2E era shoulder pads are slightly smaller, but sometimes very noticeably so, and will often not fit all that well. The older 2E shoulder pads should be redone and based on the new 3E era should pad.

Zinge
18-04-2010, 13:01
Yup,
Some of the old BA ones are just too small and look awful to the crtical eye

grissom2006
18-04-2010, 14:19
Well they look pretty fine in the BA Conversions article in WD364.

rabblerouser
18-04-2010, 17:01
I took the shoulder pad from the baal sprue and cast up a bunch of copies in resin to avoid the scale problem. The metal BA shoulder pads predate the 3rd edition multi-part marines. They don't look too out of place if you use the metal versions for the right side, but do look odd when paired with one of the newer plastic shoulder pads.

DarkstarSabre
18-04-2010, 18:01
People may not realize that some of the GW metal shoulder pads are modeled off of the 2E era plastic shoulder pads, while others were patterned off of the newer(i.e. current) 3E era shoulder pads. You can tell which ones you've got by looking at the back side of the shoulder pad trim. If it is smooth and flat then it is a 2E era pattern shoulder pd. If there are the usual indentations along the back of the rim, you have a 3E era shoulder pad.

The 2E era shoulder pads are slightly smaller, but sometimes very noticeably so, and will often not fit all that well. The older 2E shoulder pads should be redone and based on the new 3E era should pad.

The 2nd edition Shoulder Pads IIRC - Chaos Space Marines (apart from the Conversion kits), Imperial Fists. Nothing else to my knowledge was out at that time.

rabblerouser
18-04-2010, 18:25
Not in kits, as we have now, but they were around as single bits, available for bits order, at games days, or in some blisters. There was an extensive range of chaos shoulder pads for all the legions and undivided, plus imperial fists, templars, blood angels, dark angels, white scars, and a few others.

DarkstarSabre
18-04-2010, 20:01
Not in kits, as we have now, but they were around as single bits, available for bits order, at games days, or in some blisters. There was an extensive range of chaos shoulder pads for all the legions and undivided, plus imperial fists, templars, blood angels, dark angels, white scars, and a few others.

To be honest, apart from Games Days none of those mentioned cropped up anywhere.

The Imperial Fists was the last 2nd edition release - the army set just before 3rd edition hit. The Chaos ones were from the Veterans. I can't remember others coming in during that era. I know straight into 3rd edition there were some...but they were designed for the newer ones.

rabblerouser
19-04-2010, 00:55
Around the time they had the imperial fists supremacy force, the mail order trolls had a package deal (basically a battleforce) that came with enough shoulder pads of your choice. Most of them were direct only. I think the death company may have had blood angel shoulder pads in the box but don't quote me on that. Metal dark angels veterans came with the dark angels pads. There were several variants for each chapter too - 3 for the ultramarines from what I recall.

DarkstarSabre
19-04-2010, 19:14
Ah. Possibly from that. But the DA Veterans are definately 3rd edition, released at the same time as Cypher.

The Death Company IIRC had the plastic shoulders, as did the Wolves. The metal pad thing became 3rd edition. It started IIRC with the Black Templars being the first to get actual individual sprue/blisters.

BrainFireBob
20-04-2010, 01:13
Not to egg the OP, but . . .

Some of the old pads do have this problem. You basically have three choices.

1) Live with it. They're not that noticeable unless you're close, and army-wide they look fine.

2) Get sculpted pads for the other arm too- they'll also be a bit smaller, even if designed for 3rd, and it "hides" the size difference. I did this with all my sarges, they look great- because I noticed the same discrepancy while modelling.

3) Break out the green stuff and copy the symbols. I tried this, but my GS skills weren't up to snuff, hence why I personally pursued option 2.

AndrewGPaul
20-04-2010, 08:35
Has anyone got a side-by-side picture of the metal pads next to the current plastic ones? The old 2nd edition plastic shoulder pads aren't noticeably smaller than the current ones - I've mixed them on models before - so I'm not sure why the metal ones would be significantly different.

Mind you, assuming the metal shoulder pads are moulded from plastic ones with detail sculpted on, there will be some mould shrinkage and distortion, but I'm not sure how much it will change.

shabbadoo
20-04-2010, 10:27

Most of the Blood Angels shoulder pads now available are from the 2E Death Company boxed set, which is where they first appeared. They of course were also available through GW's bits ordering service form that time onwards until it ended. The Chaos shoulder pads were also made from, and for, the 2E era Chaos Space Marines. I've had plenty of them for a variety of Legions and they are all ever so slightly too small. Some of the Dark Angels shoulder pads, which I also have, came with the 3E era robed Dark Angels Marines which were metal, so they are not noticeably as small, though they are every so slightly smaller than their plastic counterparts. The most recent shoulder pads being offered(Aurora Chapter, White Scars, etc.) should be only slightly smaller and should look decent enough.

A perfect way of doing the shoulder pads so that they fit right would be to rapid prototype a CAD shoulder pad at 105% or so of normal size, use that as a base to cast a bunch of blank masters, use those masters to make the variant shoulder pads, and then cast them. Ultimately, due to the ever so slight shrinkage resulting from multiple moldings, the end result would be a shoulder pad of just about the right size. GW of course has the has the tech to do this, but have no reason to redo what most people are already willing to buy "as is".

Petay1985
20-04-2010, 10:45
I think the fit can be achieved with careful bending as discussed above, however i do agree that the size of the shoulde pads is very poor, far smaller than the later produced pads (imperial fists + other codex chapters) or their plastic counter parts.

The 'new' flesh tearers pads are also simply the old pads recircualted, thus i would warn against using them too.

Thorpedo
20-04-2010, 16:56
The Imp Fist *upgrade* pack includes smaller shoulder pads (not too bad really) A round chapter badge, a shoe box(??) and a very very slender chainsword.

Petay1985
20-04-2010, 17:04
The Imp Fist *upgrade* pack includes smaller shoulder pads (not too bad really) A round chapter badge, a shoe box(??) and a very very slender chainsword.

not to be confused with the newer Imperial/Crimson Fists upgarde packs, they are of adequate size!!

spaint2k
20-04-2010, 17:05
Has anyone got a side-by-side picture of the metal pads next to the current plastic ones? The old 2nd edition plastic shoulder pads aren't noticeably smaller than the current ones - I've mixed them on models before - so I'm not sure why the metal ones would be significantly different.

Mind you, assuming the metal shoulder pads are moulded from plastic ones with detail sculpted on, there will be some mould shrinkage and distortion, but I'm not sure how much it will change.

You're right on both counts, but it's not really just a problem of shrinkage. If you look at the metal shoulderpads you'll see the rim is actually VERY narrow and it looks crap when paired with either a second or third+ edition shoulderpad.

If you look at the Flesh Tearer shoulderpads pictured here: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod550012a&rootCatGameStyle= you'll see how very very thin that banding is.