PDA

View Full Version : Considering Marines, need opinions

Elanthanis
18-04-2010, 03:20
I've decided that I may want to try out a Marine army after all (rule of cool has finally soaked in enough over 15 years.)

I'm also INCREDIBLY indecisive. ;)

Cost isn't so much of a factor- this army could take 20 years to reach 1000 points and I view this as a modeling project more so than anything else.

There are a number of options on the table I'm willing to consider. Normally Salamanders would be among them but the awesome that is Vulkan means there is a disproportionate number at my local gaming store.

The options are as follows. Other suggestions are on the table as well.

Iron Hands (Potentially awesome conversion list)
Blood Ravens (Huge DoW fan- Considered a Librarian unit that "counts as" Grey Knight Terminators)
White Scars (Love Mongolians)
Raven Guard
Angels Encarmine

This is by no means a definitive list. I would like to use an army with established fluff simply because I'd like this to be a test of my modeling skills as much as creativity. I'm particularly looking for Marine chapters I can add my own personal "touch" to stylistically while still remaining true to the established look of the armies.

Gensuke626
18-04-2010, 03:30
It really depends on what you REALLY want from your list.

Do you want to be effective? Unique? Produce models like the Eavy Metal team? Better than Eavy Metal?

Personally, I'd take on the challenge of making a mostly plastic and green stuff "Black Templars" army that's modeled to look like an entire army of Legion of the Damned.

Griffindale
18-04-2010, 07:46
Angels Encarmine and use the BA codex. Lots and lots of different builds you can make out of it and tons of options.

jesusjohn
18-04-2010, 09:56
You have Raven Guard coming soon from Forgeworld and i think from a painters point of view i think that will be right up your street. I'd also grab some Sang Guard for the back packs and wings, that with beekie helms will look cool.

I love the idea of a counts as librarian unit, that and i like the look and background of the blood ravens.

Whitescars have bikes, thus lots of conversions again a painters dream.

I personally don't like Iron hands, but i think it's a cool theme for conversions.

Angels, meh i think they are a little trendy at the moment.

world in grey
18-04-2010, 10:11
salamanders or iron hands would be my choice, in fact they are my choices after i've finished my 3 other marine projects!

Sallies are good from a pianting point of view black skin vibarant green armour and flames but as you say they are used alot due to their special character

Iron hands are excellent for converting all those bionics to fit in. the metal kit has some nice bits to start from then loads of plastic card and rods will make for some fun conversions.

I don't really know the fluff on these two chapters yet, got enough on my hands building space wolves blood angels and my own chapter, but they both have different styles of fighting.

If i had to choose 1 i'd go Iron hands as they don't get much love at the moment

dragonet111
18-04-2010, 15:10
Angels Encarmine and use the BA codex. Lots and lots of different builds you can make out of it and tons of options.

Yes I'm 100% with you, I play blood angels since 3ed and they are really fun. Once you try the death company you can't do without it.
And the model looks great, I just bought Astotrath it's an awesome model.

Lord Malorne
18-04-2010, 15:12
Black Templars, read their background and try not to fall in love with them.

Gimp
18-04-2010, 15:21
If you want to play Iron Hands you can use the Space Wolf list to great effect. Teminators in Squads and a Dreadnaught Lord

Devastator
18-04-2010, 15:23
iron warriors to teh rescue!

Grand Master Raziel
18-04-2010, 15:26
My vote is for the Raven Guard, because I think the figure for Shrike is one of the best SM special character minis GW ever released. You also don't fall into that Vulkan trap, so you'll avoid some of the jumping-on-the-bandwagon stigma.

wazatdingder
18-04-2010, 18:10
Personally I think your choices already have too much fluff if you really want to flex your creative muscles. There are a TON of chapters that have been suggested in various books and fluff like the Babad war. These can give you a strong base to build upon, most of the chapters you mentioned started this way and became what they are when someone like you did a wonderful, creative job fleshing them out.

Melchiah
18-04-2010, 18:16
I would say Iron hands, lots of interesting conversions. If you still cant decide there's a list of Lexicanum.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters

Gensuke626
18-04-2010, 21:43
Black Templars, read their background and try not to fall in love with them.

I read their background. I didn't fall in love with them. But I'm a Nightlords fanboy...so my midnight blue and lightning bolt'd heart just said no.

Elanthanis
22-04-2010, 00:09
I painted up a Blood Ravens Vanguard character, but may still opt to go with Iron Warriors. The conversion potential is just too awesome to dismiss yet I think. That said, I absolutely love the look of the Blood Ravens (especially their veterans).

Thanks for the input!

noobzilla
22-04-2010, 01:27
Go with Blood Ravens. They are awesome :)

Nazguire
22-04-2010, 05:18
The Blood Ravens are great. Since DOW1 they have been fleshed out a lot and are now much more then just "mysterious background Chapter".

The amount of occult symbols, sorcerous things and familiars you could attach to your characters is intense.

That said, the Iron Hands are great, and severely under represented in the background. They are also a wet dream to convert. Think of all the arcane weaponry, robocop bionics and dreadnought conversions you can do!