PDA

View Full Version : which codex to use?

world in grey
18-04-2010, 17:05
Those of you who have read any of my other posts will know that I have a thing for switching projects like most people change socks, my next switch in projects today has led me down the road of the Iron Hands marine chapter, I would be greatful if anyone could help me with a few things

1. which is the best codex to use for field an Iron Hands force, codex space marines or space wolves?

space wolves get HQ dreadnought and can put terminators in as squad leaders. fluffy for IH

vanila marines get master of the forge which would make a good character for IH

2. what is the fighting style and history of these marines? I have found it hard to find much in the way of info on this chapter, it seems they are a much unloved chapter

primarch16
18-04-2010, 17:14
Makes sence to me, accute sences could be replaced with some form of bionics on marines too.

Absolutionis
18-04-2010, 17:18
Fighting Style: Relentless firepower with resilience
History: Primarch died to Emperor's Children Primarch. Now they distrust all other loyalists for failing the Emperor. Primarch named "Ferrus Manus" after he dipped his hands inside Necron Necrodermis.

Idea: Use Chaos Space Marines codex
Plague Marines are IH with heavy Bionics.
Obliterators are perfect for Iron Hands.

duffybear1988
18-04-2010, 17:21
I would probably say the vanilla codex simply because you can field master of the forge and have proper tech marines and such (who actually get servo harnesses instead of just a servo arm).

The chapter itself is broken down into clan companies, each led by an elected hero... these can be dreadnoughts, captains or iron fathers (a mix of a master of the forge and a chaplain). Each clan company has its own assault/dev/tactical/scout squads and each fights individually, also sometimes there is infighting amongst the clans themselves and this is looked upon as fine as it keeps them sharp etc.

They dont have many terminator suits so the ones they have are reserved for veterans who OFTEN act as leaders of squads... if I remember the chapter approved bit on them I was reading the other day it said that they still do fight in terminator squads if they are needed to (e.g. for specific missions etc).

They also dont have lots of dreadnoughts (many people make this mistake) but the ones they do have are almost as old as Bjorn the fell-handed himself and are ancient relics in their own right.

Their fighting style is mixed between long-medium range fire and deadly armoured assaults, often making use of land raiders, predators and rhinos.

Each clan company has its own huge 'land train' that the company uses to move around their home world.

Hope that helps you mate.

EDIT -

Idea: Use Chaos Space Marines codex
Plague Marines are IH with heavy Bionics.
Obliterators are perfect for Iron Hands.

I would stay away from obliterators if I was you as they are a chaos creation and there is no reason for the iron hands to use them...

world in grey
18-04-2010, 17:24
I would probably say the vanilla codex simply because you can field master of the forge and have proper tech marines and such (who actually get servo harnesses instead of just a servo arm).

The chapter itself is broken down into clan companies, each led by an elected hero... these can be dreadnoughts, captains or iron fathers (a mix of a master of the forge and a chaplain). Each clan company has its own assault/dev/tactical/scout squads and each fights individually, also sometimes there is infighting amongst the clans themselves and this is looked upon as fine as it keeps them sharp etc.

They dont have many terminator suits so the ones they have are reserved for veterans who OFTEN act as leaders of squads... if I remember the chapter approved bit on them I was reading the other day it said that they still do fight in terminator squads if they are needed to (e.g. for specific missions etc).

They also dont have lots of dreadnoughts (many people make this mistake) but the ones they do have are almost as old as Bjorn the fell-handed himself and are ancient relics in their own right.

Their fighting style is mixed between long-medium range fire and deadly armoured assaults, often making use of land raiders, predators and rhinos.

Each clan company has its own huge 'land train' that the company uses to move around their home world.

Hope that helps you mate.

EDIT -

I would stay away from obliterators if I was you as they are a chaos creation and there is no reason for the iron hands to use them...

thats a great help thanks mate

wazatdingder
18-04-2010, 17:35
If you are not stuck to MOF, Blood angels may work with their access to vehicles. I would suggest avoiding the HTH unit. You could have 6 Preds, a ton of Dreads, LRs for troops.

jesusjohn
18-04-2010, 17:43
I'd go with Codex as the Master of the forge is perfect.

sigur
18-04-2010, 17:53
What makes you think that codex SW is suited? Iron Hands use Codex SM.

world in grey
18-04-2010, 17:54
How about if I used 2 small forces of codex marines and space wolves say 750-1000 points each and use 2 FOC that way I can have some squads lead by terminators a master of the forge and dread as HQ?

sigur
18-04-2010, 17:56
Do you have friends to play with that would allow such a thing? Why not go with the correct codex?

world in grey
18-04-2010, 18:07

fluff says some IH clans are lead by dreads as in SW Bjorn and terminator armour was given to squad leaders as in wolf guard in terminator armour attached to squads as leaders

Do you have friends to play with that would allow such a thing? Why not go with the correct codex?

And yes I have people to play against that would be happy with this. the only thing thats in space marine codex that fits Iron Hands is the master of the forge

By the way loving your work on CMON

Earthbeard
18-04-2010, 19:24

I'm with the Squirrel on this one.

Dr.Clock
18-04-2010, 19:35
^^^^^this.

There is no good reason to use anything other than the Codex:SM.

The MotF is basically the one nod to IH - They fight pretty much like any other codex chapter except for a slightly heavier emphasis on high levels of technology and dreadnoughts.

Grey Hunters and Blood Claws make no sense for IH troop choices. Terminator squad leaders would be nice but that one small benefit is outweighed by the fact that the meat and potatoes (troop choices) of your list will not reflect the fluff.

FTR the MotF is a great HQ... and a wicked cool model. I use him instead of Vulkan all the time for my sallies.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

duffybear1988
18-04-2010, 19:45
If only the master of the forge had recieved the 4+ invulnerable save like the iron fathers used to have...

you know I dont see why GW dont release all the old chapter approved lists with 5th ed updates in a brand spanking new Chapter Approved Annual... I mean they used to do them all the time and it would really give people the chance to field their old armies without needing to take a specific character, heck they could even bring back the old chaos lists like they used to do as well.

In fact if anyone would like to have a go at this kind of thing then PM me and we can have a go at doing it over the forum.