PDA

View Full Version : No more CAmpaigns?

suplicor
18-04-2010, 17:47
So I take it the GW SUmmer CAmpaign is a thing of the past? I really enjoyed them,EotS,Medusa V.

grissom2006
18-04-2010, 17:51
To early at this stage to say there will or won't be one. But this year for the summer the lime light is meant to be on WFB as it gets it's new book.

Mannimarco
18-04-2010, 17:52
I think they're a thing of the past, they're a lt of hassle to put toget her and theres lots of people cheating, you cant please everybody.

To this day theres still people rather upset by the 13th black crusade outcome

bigcheese76
18-04-2010, 18:07
No news yet on wether GW will be running a campaign this summer, although it is quite unlikely.
However, you are more than welcome to join in the Kasabian campaign which will be starting during the summer. See this thread for details: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252704&highlight=kasabian

Stormbrow II
18-04-2010, 18:19
Hopefully they are. There was absolutely no point to some of the more recent ones - Storm of Chaos and Black Crusade did very little to change the background of either game. All that effort on behalf of players (just imagine all the energy they expended in order to cheat) was pretty much wasted.

If a campaign was to massively change the fluff then it might be worth it, but it probably uses up more staff hours in Lenton that it's worth.

Damien 1427
18-04-2010, 18:21

And Storm of Chaos. And Armageddon. And every single one of them, because the result was decided long in advance, which meant that despite one side having overwhelming victories, it was still the other side that one. Or it was a rather dull stalemate.

Odds are we won't see them again. They probably cost too much to run.

Spider-pope
18-04-2010, 19:55
Given the worldwide campaigns were a pain in the **** to set up, cost too much in terms of money and man hours to maintain and brought them nothing but complaints in exchange for a marginal increase in sales i doubt we will see one again anytime soon.

muskrat
18-04-2010, 20:04
There's also that the current date of the fluff is at the end of the millenium, so any new fluff or invasions that could have any outcome would have to advance the fluff, making the game 41000. course their "new" fluff is more predictable than the stuff that's going to happen anyway.

seriously. all the traitor legions and all the traitor guard in the EoT come pouring out, and chaos destroys one world? one?

Though very high props to Medusa V. In the Hydra sector, I and another poster were co-commanders of the warseer Chaos branch, and due to his plans and strict dissemination of the proper info to send we actually got our operations and warbands mentioned by name in the fluff, and seized the upper hive, something no other sector did afaik.

maze ironheart
18-04-2010, 20:13
I think they're a thing of the past, they're a lt of hassle to put toget her and theres lots of people cheating, you cant please everybody.

Lets us not forget the nemesis crown LOADS of cheating their I would like a summer campaign.

Iracundus
18-04-2010, 21:50
And Storm of Chaos. And Armageddon. And every single one of them, because the result was decided long in advance, which meant that despite one side having overwhelming victories, it was still the other side that one. Or it was a rather dull stalemate.

Oh another one of those EoT deniers. So just because it wasn't an Imperial victory you claim it must have been rigged? The EoT campaign was not decided by sheer number of victories alone. It was the Imperial Control levels that decided it. Victories only mattered in so far as they affected that Imperial Control level. Placement of victories was as important as their sheer number else the less numerous factions would never have stood a chance. The result of Chaos victory was not rigged. If anything, the template of the event cards paralleled that of the Gothic War, but unlike that pre-written story, there was no final Imperial resurgence or victory. Learn about how the campaign system actually worked before making outrageous claims of cheating and rigging.

seriously. all the traitor legions and all the traitor guard in the EoT come pouring out, and chaos destroys one world? one?

Chaos destroyed 1 world with the Planet Killer, with another 2 Exterminatus'ed by the Imperium. However Chaos also sacked and occupied a lot of worlds in Agrippinaa sector, including forming a new Nurgle daemonworld from an agri-world.

ehlijen
18-04-2010, 22:11
The EoT campaign mainly suffered from the scale difference in the 3 game systems it supposedly supported (40k, Epic, BFG).

The few BFG games that were played, compared to the 40k games, and their slant to Imperial victories had to be counted less in order to not overwhelm the input of the much more numerous 40k players, despite their supposedly higher importance in the background (in BFG, the fate of an entire world can be decided in one engagement).
That had the hilarious side effect of 40k chaos players successfully invading world after world despite the fact that their BFG brethrens repeatedly failed to pierce the Imperial Navy blockades protecting those planets.

The solution of course is to not let such differing games be part of the same campaign any more. Which is what they did in the following campaings.

Damien 1427
18-04-2010, 22:21
I don't claim anything. There was a backlash, and people were less than impressed. A few random planets are gone, and the status quo is exactly the same as it ever was. Then again, the cries of "fix!" were usually from the forces of Chaos, as despite kicking the Imperium firmly in the teeth, what did they get? Effectively, bugger-all.

Iracundus
18-04-2010, 22:23
The EoT campaign mainly suffered from the scale difference in the 3 game systems it supposedly supported (40k, Epic, BFG).

The few BFG games that were played, compared to the 40k games, and their slant to Imperial victories had to be counted less in order to not overwhelm the input of the much more numerous 40k players, despite their supposedly higher importance in the background (in BFG, the fate of an entire world can be decided in one engagement).
That had the hilarious side effect of 40k chaos players successfully invading world after world despite the fact that their BFG brethrens repeatedly failed to pierce the Imperial Navy blockades protecting those planets.

Your conclusion above is fatally flawed because posting wins to the sector warzones was not limited to BFG. The Imperials got an edge in the sector warzones because of sheer numbers, of which the majority were 40K postings. That is why when Fanatic Magazine released the "pure" BFG results, there were differences from the overall campaign picture. Chaos in a few zones had an edge in total BFG victories but the overall warzones still rose in Imperial Control because these were swamped by the number of 40K Imperial victories. Since sector warzones had no significant threshold effect, there was not much more to them other than sheer brute force numbers.

So it was not BFG victories counting for less, just that they counted equally as 40K victories, and there were a lot more 40K ones.

ehlijen
18-04-2010, 22:23
They killed eldrad!

...and he's still kicking. Yeah, they got nothin'.

edit: Iracundus:
That is exactly what I meant. BFG victories counted the same as 40k victories despite one battle in one deciding the fate of a planet, story wise, while one battle in the other is a minor skirmish. Yes, it had to be that way for fairness sake, but no, it didn't really make sense in the background. It was just an unfortunate side effect of planets being little more than really cool terrain in BFG.

Iracundus
18-04-2010, 22:26
I don't claim anything.

You make a definitive statement saying the results were already decided beforehand. That is making a claim the results were pre-determined and therefore the campaign was rigged.

Then again, the cries of "fix!" were usually from the forces of Chaos, as despite kicking the Imperium firmly in the teeth, what did they get? Effectively, bugger-all.

I suggest you search more carefully online then, even if just on this particular forum. Over the years the vast amount of complaining and cries of "rigging" or "fixing" have been from the Imperial players trying to argue or find justifications why "loss" doesn't really mean losing but either stalemate or even winning.

Ironhand
18-04-2010, 22:27
Highly unlikely there will ever be another worldwide campaign run by GW, IMO.

Firstly because they take a tremendous amount of effort to organize, and I believe GW let all the folks who ran the last ones go during the recent staff reductions.

Second of all because GW learned after Eye of Terror to never, ever let the fluff out of their control again. They've spent the years since EOT desperately retconning the results out of existence.

Gensuke626
18-04-2010, 22:49
But kids loved the Green Kroosade.

Also, I think the "Fluff" boards for Eot were the best things ever. Yeah there were some ******* people on them, but for the most part you got a lot of cool people who were trying to tell a story while trying to curbstomp the other faction.

Also, wasn't it Medusa V where the Tau players claimed to have an invisible asteroid being pinpoint dropped from Orbit as a joke on how they would "win" their campaign, and GW said "Ok, lets do that!"

ShaiAhlude
19-04-2010, 00:58
To answer the OP: I highly doubt it.
Sending in battle reports simply does'nt work, as it's too easy to cheat. Did everyone in Battle of Armageddon cheat? Of course not. Do I really think someone played 3 3000pts games in 2 hours, all chaos victories? Not a chance. Yet I saw that posted. I also know my personal DE army went undefeated in that period but there was little to no mention of DE in the campaign.
IMO, it would need to be:
1) One type of game (40k or BFG). No mixing of the two.
2) Only the "official" stops can affect the outcome.
3) Every race would need an objective, or deny another race's objective.

And that would mean a lot of extra work for the organizers, and gamers could only participate if they went to "official" stops, which not a small number would object to.