PDA

View Full Version : Gamesday Atlanta Tidbits

Alpharius
20-03-2005, 02:14
Kust got back from Gamesday Atlanta, and here are some interesting tidbits.... (Most from the seminars)

(Sorry, no pictures!)

1) The new Hive Tyrant model is unbelievably awesome! Jes Goodwin's done it again! It uses the 2nd Edition model as its spiritual successor, but improves on it by quite a bit... Book out in June (army deal in May)

2) Not sure of biomorph names, or point costs, but it will be possible to have a Carnifex with a toughness of 7, or one with 5 wounds. And you'll be able to do the 8 monstrous creature army, but that will probably be most of your points! They showed a shadow outline of the new model, and mentioned that EVERY biomorph for it will have bits on the sprue...

3) NO Genesteeler cult list in the book, but they definitely want to do it it the future (Possibly in the oft mentioned Alienhunters book, which was hinted at being a LONG ways off). It is possible though, by using the Brood Lord (Big Huggy Bear HQ Steeler) to have an ALL Steeler army.

4) The "background" (no dead kittens here!) is being moved forward with the 'Nids, which is how they're explaining the new studio color scheme.

5) NO Harlequins in the upcoming Eldar codex, and no Dark Eldar in that one either (no dates! But seemingly a bit of a ways off. Black Templars are next, with Orks somewhat strongly hinted at as next after that. But, as always, anything beyond two books out is subject to change). Phil Kelly said he'd like to do a Chapter Approved on them though... And that the Dark Eldar will get their own book sometime in the future...

6) This one took me back a bit: NO PLASTIC DROP POD is planned, at all. They were rather sure of this. Stated it strongly. So, will this be the "Wave Serpent" for the Marines? Or will Forge World continue to reap the benefits?

7) Phil Kelly mentioned wanting to do something more for the Necrons, using the "bastard red headed step child" C'Tan, the Outsider. Possibly with a new troop time as well (No timetable given).

Can't think of anything else just now... a 3 hour drive home will do that to you...

boogle
20-03-2005, 02:16
looks like home made drop pods will be the order of the day for the foreseeable future

Alpharius
20-03-2005, 02:40
They mentioned that they're re-doing (via 4th edition update FAQ style, I think) the Catachan Codex and then putting it up on the web for free download... (again, no timetable)

Having been out of 40k since 2nd edition, I think this is a bigger deal than I realize?

Was there something especially wrong with it originally?

Or was it made really unplayable by a 4th ed FAQ?

boogle
20-03-2005, 02:46
not really, but as they are moving away from mini Codexes, it would be a smart move, same with the Lost and the Damned and 13th Company lists (unless the 13th co are going into the main Wolves book, when it gets redone)

Rincewind83
20-03-2005, 02:47
Well, I still use it sometimes under 4th edition without any problems, however there are still things that could get an update, like the ambush rules (maybe making them available to other regiments as a doctrine?)

boogle
20-03-2005, 02:47
you would have thought that the Jungle Fighters doctrine would have gotten that

Rabid Bunny 666
20-03-2005, 02:59
nope, they get no lascannons, lighter armour, i think heavy flamers and nothing else of note

Rincewind83
20-03-2005, 03:05
With jungle fighters they get most of the Catachan codex abilities, however there are still things that were left out, like the special characters, ambushes and units that were armed with shotguns (they're quite nice for ambushes, actually).

boogle
20-03-2005, 03:05
for pure a Jungle Fighters Doctrine you would need to have:
Skills and Drills: Independant Snipers (1 Special weapons team, split into 3 seperate teams, 1 spotter, 1 sniper)
Skills and Drills: Ambush - As per Explained in the Catachan Codex
Special Equipment: Booby Traps - As per the Catachan Codex

also I would say that Commissars were disallowed in a pure Jungle Fighters army (far too likely to have an accident)

Tastyfish
20-03-2005, 09:59
Just out of curiosity, was there a Forge World seminar? One of writeups (Inisfall site or something) mentioned that the WFB/40K/LOTR seminars had been combined or has this always been the case for the non-UK ones?

the_yuk
20-03-2005, 10:15
I know the marines are the most important and logical choice to re-do, but id liket o see some of teh other dexes done first. So there doing away with mini-dexes, but are keeping the chapter specific marine ones, I was of the impression taht these were mini-dexes per say.

philbrad2
20-03-2005, 10:44
Well Portent is back and its GD season ... my life is complete!

A few more Atlanta rumours raided from http://www.inisfail.com/gd-atlanta-2005.htm

Space Marines

Next up in the roller-coaster tri-system seminar was Space Marines. Marneus Calgar and his bodyguard were shown off. Mention was made of Calgar's Land Raider shown in White Dwarf 303, which Phil refered to as a "Pimp My Ride" Land Raider. The Space Marine painting guide and the new Terminators were shown off, the latter being largely nothing new as most of us in the seminar room had already gotten our mitts on a box (or two!).

Tyranids

Practically the whole Tyranid range is being redone. Brilliant stuff! The Gaunts, Stealers, Warriors, and Carnifex will be plastic.

The Brood Lord is a nasty HQ choice to help you create an all-Genestealer army. He has S5, T5, counts as a power weapon for attacks, and can Infiltrate (as well as the Genestealers). He cannot, however, use Fleet, as he's simply too big.

The Zoanthrope can have two psychic powers, and has vanes that belch out a gas containing bacteria that attack nearby organisms. This gives the Zoanthrope some bite in an assault.

Synapse creatures aren't the only ones that benefit from no Instant Death. All models within the Synapse range are immune to Instant Death! This was done to promote more use of the "midrange" bugs, such as Warriors. It is said to represent the Hive Mind adapting to new combat methods.

Living ammunition now has rules! You can reroll to wound rolls with any weapon that has living ammunition. This includes fleshborers, devourers, and deathspitters. Termagants are now mighty little bugs with their guns, but the points cost for these weapons has been adjusted to match their new effectiveness. Make of that what you will.

A silhouette of the new Carnifex was shown, and it's a big, hunched bug. He has several options, including +1T, +1W, 2+ Sv, D6 Attacks, and Regeneration. As has been rumored, any Carnifex under 115 points counts as an Elites choice. No minimum army points were mentioned for this, so it's possible any size Tyranid army has the option of running six Carnifexes.

"Make your own hive fleet" is gone. It was too confusing, so they scrapped it and made Tyranids customizable to a degree hardly ever before imagined. As they suggested, there is no "special hive fleet", the Hive Mind will be quick to spread useful mutations, and will test other mutations across several warzones.

Tyranid seeding swarms will still be around, but as a downloadable list on the Internet.

Codex: Black Templars

We were shown a picture of Paul Dainton working on the cover for it, and hinted that it could be out soon. There is supposed to be "lots of goodness" for them, both with rules and models.

Q&A

Basic work on the Eldar has started. Phil hinted at new aspect warriors. The same answer was given for Orks: A lot of preliminary discussion, but not much actual work so far. Alien Hunters are even worse off.

Warhammer 40K will be getting a campaign book like Lustria in the future, but not any time soon

Harlequins could get a Chapter Approved list in the future to allow people to continue using the current model line, this will be a holdover until they can figure out what direction they want to take Harlequins in.

Ghazghkull is not dead. :cool:

boogle
20-03-2005, 13:09
so that finally rules out Eldar Alien Hunters and Orks as the next Redone Codex, so that makes it very intruiging as to what it will be, maybe the Tau Codex that was mentioend on the old version of Portent may well be the 1st 40K release of 2006

malika
20-03-2005, 13:45
No new ForgeWorld rumours? :(

philbrad2
21-03-2005, 02:22
so that finally rules out Eldar Alien Hunters and Orks as the next Redone Codex, so that makes it very intruiging as to what it will be, maybe the Tau Codex that was mentioend on the old version of Portent may well be the 1st 40K release of 2006

Even though I play Tau I'd really like the Eldar or Orks get a look in. Of course its down to GW marketing who gets the post-BT's codex.

by gamers - for gamers .... yes well....

:cool:

KDP Morgoth
21-03-2005, 02:36
One guy in the Seminar I attended (the last one) asked if Fire Warriors would get any Heavy Weapon options and/or a BS of 4, and Phil seemed pretty adimant in his response that they were not needed. But when Phil was asked about the Tau Codex getting redone he said something akin to it being in the near future. I could be remembering this wrong though since I only got 4 hours of sleep the previous night and am slightly biased by being in the camp that thinks Orks and Eldar need attention more than the Tau right now.

charlie_c67
21-03-2005, 10:37

I think the way to view it is that eldar and orks generally were considered the worst lists out there. Therefore they need a lot of reviewing and revision, almost from the ground up. On the downside it means they'll take longer, on the upside they'll be playtested properly to give a much better set of lists to use which, at the end of the day, is all anyone really wants.

Evilmerlin
21-03-2005, 11:53
Hmm...no plastic drop pods....pity..real pity.

Alpharius
22-03-2005, 22:18
Not only a real pity, but real short sighted.

And strange.

I mean, the Rhino is "less usefull" in general, and in specific when compared to the Drop Pod.

A plastic drop pod could be sold for the same price, maybe $5 less?

And it well sell very, very well.

The response to my question was rather strongly negative, almost a "Not only no, but hell no" type of answer.

Which I just don't understand!

Not even a carrot of "well, maybe in 3+ years or so..."

So, plasticard it is, I suppose!

charlie_c67
25-03-2005, 00:40
The response to my question was rather strongly negative, almost a "Not only no, but hell no" type of answer.
Which I just don't understand!
Not even a carrot of "well, maybe in 3+ years or so..."

Specially when you consider the claim that nothing would be in the book that wasn't represented in the model range. A la autocannon scouts.

xenopsyllus
28-03-2005, 21:49
6) This one took me back a bit: NO PLASTIC DROP POD is planned, at all. They were rather sure of this. Stated it strongly. So, will this be the "Wave Serpent" for the Marines? Or will Forge World continue to reap the benefits?Funny thing is, the FW drop pod doesn't match the new C:SM drop pods. FW drop pods fit only five marines, while C:SM drop pods fit a whole squad of ten marines.

Delicious Soy
29-03-2005, 04:31
Scale isn't much of an issue in vehicle to infantry scaling. Try fitting six aspect warriors in the back of a falcon.

The evil Eldar part of me laughs at the lack of a Drop Pod, welcome to our world SM players! :p

The lack of harlequins is a bit of a blow, I really can't see the problems in 'what direction they want to go in'. Bit of a cop out if you ask me.

xenopsyllus
29-03-2005, 05:36
I'm not talking about scale problems. The FW drop pod has five marines modeled inside of it in five individual compartments.

Delicious Soy
29-03-2005, 05:48
You can buy the closed one though if you're that worried about it.

hood_oz
29-03-2005, 22:55
The Brood Lord is a nasty HQ choice to help you create an all-Genestealer army. He has S5, T5, counts as a power weapon for attacks, and can Infiltrate (as well as the Genestealers). He cannot, however, use Fleet, as he's simply too big.

A silhouette of the new Carnifex was shown, and it's a big, hunched bug. He has several options, including +1T, +1W, 2+ Sv, D6 Attacks, and Regeneration. As has been rumored, any Carnifex under 115 points counts as an Elites choice. No minimum army points were mentioned for this, so it's possible any size Tyranid army has the option of running six Carnifexes.

From what I heard, stealers were losing infiltrate to fleet of claw... don't care either way. I get to use my genestealer invasion force again! Huzzah! Just have to drop the hybrids and all is excellent.

From my rumour mill, I have gotten some info on the carnifex. Although it is meant ot be damn sexy and have all the modelling goodies known to man added to the sprue, some of the upgrades are killer! I believe it was thornback which doubles the counts as in close combat. A creature that counts as twenty models in combat? Hello combat modifiers for leadership and everything. Those extra wounds caused against enemy units and the plain useful nature of the upgrade is going to make it great for screamer killer carnifexes...

I kept hearing the tyrant was going to be plastic, but everything I saw was metal or resin. But it is a nice model regardless. ;-)

Just looking forward to getting all the new genestealers to add to my huge genestealer invasion force... nice new gribbly things and heavier armour...

plus getting lots of good stuff to add to my Marine Tyranid Hunters...

It is going to be a busy time for me.

No drop pod, ahhh well, I will just have to use the representation model for a few more years.

(my first post for the new portent!)

Wraith
30-03-2005, 09:36
From what I heard, stealers were losing infiltrate to fleet of claw...

That's correct, however the Brood Lord and his retinue loose fleet of claw and get infiltrate instead.

I believe it was thornback which doubles the counts as in close combat.

Symbiote Rippers (+1 to unit size for Outnumbering purposes)

Thornback (Doubles model’s “Counts as”, if on winning side)

Eversor
30-03-2005, 12:00
The lack of harlequins is a bit of a blow, I really can't see the problems in 'what direction they want to go in'. Bit of a cop out if you ask me.

Indeed a cop out. There's no need to change any of the background, just work out the kinks in Gav's old rules.

But then again, maybe it's for the best. That way it'll still be a rare army. And I'm afraid that new models would destroy the kitschy late-eighties feeling that the Harlies have ;)

StrainX
07-04-2005, 17:53
There was mention on the GD webpage that the store has these specialty blister packs. What are they and whats in them ?

Inquisitor Engel
07-04-2005, 18:01
There was mention on the GD webpage that the store has these specialty blister packs. What are they and whats in them ?
The helmetless Techmarine, and the female and ninja Ogre man eaters for WFB.

self biased
07-04-2005, 18:59
i think my techmarine will be the only other helmetless marine in my army, outside my grand master.

Ass Goblin
07-04-2005, 22:55
6) This one took me back a bit: NO PLASTIC DROP POD is planned, at all. They were rather sure of this. Stated it strongly. So, will this be the "Wave Serpent" for the Marines? Or will Forge World continue to reap the benefits?

Bugger I was hoping they would make one. I don't want to order from Forge World something that I can only use a few times a game :(

StrainX
08-04-2005, 05:20
What about the bitz store, is the full selection of bitz there ? I'm hoping to grab a few of the Leman Russ Exterminator cannons at GD LA.

Farseer Cirdan
11-04-2005, 22:52
:D

Just remember where you heard it first!

Alpharius
12-04-2005, 13:48
Er, what have we heard first?

And seriously, what I heard at Atlanta (and yes, it is now my interpretation, so, beware!), to me, strongly hinted that ORKS would be next after Templars.

BUT, if the models are taking too long to develop and ready, then maybe we will see a "quickie" Codex, and maybe that would be the Tau.

But, again, everything I heard pointed towards Orks...

Sai-Lauren
12-04-2005, 14:17
Cirdan's been saying that Tau will be after BT for about four months now. Others disagree, I'm in the "anything's possible" camp. I'd prefer Eldar or Orks, but Tau would require less changes to their rules or ranges right now - I mean what's to add outside of updated rules for drones and rail rifles for pathfinders.

No drop pod? What, there's something that marines aren't going to get, thereby not delaying other stuff for years? :eek: :rolleyes:

Ubik_Lives
12-04-2005, 14:29
As rabid a Tau fan as I am, I don't really think they deserve to be ahead of Eldar or Orks in getting redone codexes. There are some problems with the Tau, and there are a real lack of options, and there are a lot of vocal Tau players out there, but Eldar and Ork players have been holding onto their little revision tickets longer than we've been complaining. What does annoy me is that the Black Templars somehow qualify as a full codex now. They should have a 20 page codex and be labeled a side project, rather than throwing everyone else back half a year.

philbrad2
12-04-2005, 14:51
BUT, if the models are taking too long to develop and ready, then maybe we will see a "quickie" Codex, and maybe that would be the Tau.

But, again, everything I heard pointed towards Orks...

I hope the Tau are not after BT's personally. The notion of a 'quickie' codex I don't think makes much sense. GW will want to include a set of revised models out to support the codex. This is ALWAYS the case with any new codex. As we've heard that new Ork vehicles have been spotted, c'mon the weakest part of the Ork range is its vehicles which have to be the oldest in the game. I really think they'll be next. Then BA/DA or SW's and them probably Eldar.

I'm a Tau player and I like the army but I'd be surprised is the Tau got a revised codex and new/addiotnal minis if they do there's likely to be a lot of p!ssed off Eldar/Ork players out there. Of course as has been said what the studio want to revise and what marketing department want them to concentrate on I'd go out on a limb and don't always match up. We'll see at least one SM release for the few years as they're a regular money spinner for GW. Everyone love a Space Marine .. well maybe not everyone :D Of course Graham McNeil chat with YAKFACE in the LA GD thread ( HERE (http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=981)) puts another stick in the spokes of cevelopment with the studio as a whole being now one department for all games systems with developer 'assets' being moved between systems as the requirement dicatates. IIRC 40K/WHFB have always had their own dedicated developer teams with others on the fringes helping out as needed. I'm not sold on the notion of 'One team shall devlop them all!' *ahem* Perhaps this new format of development is one introdcuced in the post-Andy C GW. Its been said that GW don't want to have one sole head of a gaming system when it comes to development. We all know LoTR took a chunk out of the design studio's time and that has impacted on both 40K and WHFB, I'm no fan of LoTR TBH but with no core personnel dedicated to working on specific projects for each system I'm not 100% convinced of this new concept of multi tasking developers will give us what we want. Perhaps we'll have a case of 'too many cooks.. spoils the broth' with future GW 40K codex releases - we'll have to wait and see. I may sound pesimistic but I think The next 12-24mths outputcould help define where GW is going. New heights or down the 'dunny'.

A number of people have speculated Tau codex with a tie in to the IA3-Taros Campaign book being produced by FW. This is due this summer. Any post BT codex isn't due until mid 2006 a good 12 months after the planned IA3 release. I for one think this is too much of a gap to issue revised Tau as a 'tie in'. Look at EoT. We had CSM's late 2002, then DH's early 2003, Eot mid 2003 and IG late 2003 all tied in with EoT in one way or another and all were released within a year of the first release.

risK
12-04-2005, 15:16
Maybe a simple FAQ for Tau during the Taros Campaign could help out the minor probs of them...

...oh wait!
There aren't anymore FAQs!

Black DH templ.
12-04-2005, 15:23
From what I've heard there were NO FW seminar.

Alpharius
12-04-2005, 15:24
Count me in the camp of those who just don't "get" the Black Templars and the full codex treatment.

Keeping them in an mixed list "campaign" books sounds about right.

The full Codex treatment for a successor chapter, before the remaining 3 of the "Big 4"? Especially in light of how shafted the other FOUNDING chapters were in the latest SM codex?

It is a bit odd.

But then, I don't play BT's, so I am sure there are a lot of happy BT players out there.

philbrad2
12-04-2005, 19:26
Of course guys your forgetting the main reasons behind the BT codex ...

1) Its SM's - SM sell (KERCHING!) Look out for the next installment of the LoTR game system... "Scouring of the deviant abhumans of the Shire by the Righteous forces of the Imperum!" A crack Deathwatch killteam lead by Ordo Xeno Inquisitor Sauron is teleported into Middle Earth to kick some Imperial ass - sounds like a best seller. I believe Pete Jackson has bought the film rights .. honest!

2) There aren't enough BT players in this world *ahem* ... :D

OK ... I'll get me coat!

boogle
12-04-2005, 19:39
I hope the Tau are not after BT's personally. The notion of a 'quickie' codex I don't think makes much sense. GW will want to include a set of revised models out to support the codex. This is ALWAYS the case with any new codex. As we've heard that new Ork vehicles have been spotted, c'mon the weakest part of the Ork range is its vehicles which have to be the oldest in the game. I really think they'll be next. Then BA/DA or SW's and them probably Eldar.

I'm a Tau player and I like the army but I'd be surprised is the Tau got a revised codex and new/addiotnal minis if they do there's likely to be a lot of p!ssed off Eldar/Ork players out there. Of course as has been said what the studio want to revise and what marketing department want them to concentrate on I'd go out on a limb and don't always match up. We'll see at least one SM release for the few years as they're a regular money spinner for GW. Everyone love a Space Marine .. well maybe not everyone :D Of course Graham McNeil chat with YAKFACE in the LA GD thread ( HERE (http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=981)) puts another stick in the spokes of cevelopment with the studio as a whole being now one department for all games systems with developer 'assets' being moved between systems as the requirement dicatates. IIRC 40K/WHFB have always had their own dedicated developer teams with others on the fringes helping out as needed. I'm not sold on the notion of 'One team shall devlop them all!' *ahem* Perhaps this new format of development is one introdcuced in the post-Andy C GW. Its been said that GW don't want to have one sole head of a gaming system when it comes to development. We all know LoTR took a chunk out of the design studio's time and that has impacted on both 40K and WHFB, I'm no fan of LoTR TBH but with no core personnel dedicated to working on specific projects for each system I'm not 100% convinced of this new concept of multi tasking developers will give us what we want. Perhaps we'll have a case of 'too many cooks.. spoils the broth' with future GW 40K codex releases - we'll have to wait and see. I may sound pesimistic but I think The next 12-24mths outputcould help define where GW is going. New heights or down the 'dunny'.

A number of people have speculated Tau codex with a tie in to the IA3-Taros Campaign book being produced by FW. This is due this summer. Any post BT codex isn't due until mid 2006 a good 12 months after the planned IA3 release. I for one think this is too much of a gap to issue revised Tau as a 'tie in'. Look at EoT. We had CSM's late 2002, then DH's early 2003, Eot mid 2003 and IG late 2003 all tied in with EoT in one way or another and all were released within a year of the first release.

actually the Eldar Jetbikes are the oldest models for a range (granted they aren't that good either as models or in the game), but the Orks need a little less tweaking rules wise than Eldar, plus they need a push to be the REAL threat to the Imperium

philbrad2
12-04-2005, 19:52
True BOOG's should have remembered them, just helped my sons put 3 together from their new Eldar battleforce last week. As with the Ork bikes (and SM bike up until last year) the bike is OK its just the rider that's utter poo-poo. I like the Ork plastics and the trukks IIRC were pinched from the Gorkamorka range (Gork rest its soul :( )

I want to see the older Xenos races getting their make over first. Let the whipper-snapper likes of Tau and Necrons wait a while. ONce we start getting some descent Xenos codicies wecan look forward to the Ordo Xeno codex turning up. So whose up for a wait until around 2008 then :)

boogle
12-04-2005, 20:00
too true, but I would also like to see a couple of new Xenos races (Hrud and A-N-OTHER) in between the Tau and 'Crons

t-tauri
12-04-2005, 21:28
1) Its SM's - SM sell (KERCHING!) Look out for the next installment of the LoTR game system... "Scouring of the deviant abhumans of the Shire by the Righteous forces of the Imperum!" A crack Deathwatch killteam lead by Ordo Xeno Inquisitor Sauron is teleported into Middle Earth to kick some Imperial ass - sounds like a best seller.
I'm preordering this one. If it's Deathwatch vs Hobbits then I'm in. "Eat Metalstorm Ratling scum":D

The main reason for BT, in addition to the fact that Marines sell, (has anyone mentioned that?) is that the BT list is horribly, horribly broken.

The Eldar jetbike is IIRC by Saint Jes so therefore is immune to all criticism. It's a much better model than the horrible Ork bike and Trukk which really show their age. The trak isn't so bad but still needs redoing. Ork vehicles need to be redone, badly as they were done badly in the first place.

Evilmerlin
12-04-2005, 21:33
Abit OT here but could someone please tell me what the BTs are broken?

I've read some of their rules but just don't see it.

charlie_c67
12-04-2005, 23:25
When regarding army lists the term broken has several meanings. Sometimes it is because it allows power gamers to have a field day(1), taking away a lot of the fun. Sometimes it's because the entire list is screwed and it's impossible to produce a well balanced and fluff based list(2), other times it is because the list requires some use in tactical forethought. Finally there are the lists that are missing things(3)...

(1) BT's
(2) Eldar
(3) Orks

Inquisitor Engel
13-04-2005, 04:55
The Eldar jetbike is IIRC by Saint Jes so therefore is immune to all criticism. It is a fine model. All I want is a new rider for it, and I'll be satisfied.

A-N-OTHER
The "WTF" smiley is not currently available. :p

charlie_c67
13-04-2005, 08:49
It is a fine model. All I want is a new rider for it, and I'll be satisfied.

Anyone noticed how most people like the bikes but hate the riders? Only two that differ are the DE jetbikes, which I personally like all of, and the ork bikers which to me don't have the half bolted together look. I used to love the old RT ork bikers!

Duymon
13-04-2005, 09:52
With all the new poseable troop options the static bikers just don't cut it anymore I guess. People want poseable bikers, though the space marine biker really just as static as his predecessor unless you modify an arm or two to allow him to turn his hips.

Delicious Soy
13-04-2005, 11:12
Just the Chest and helmet for the sake of continuity with the foot guardians.