PDA

View Full Version : Gun Blazing Dwarfs!

ROCKY
16-02-2006, 19:03
Hi all I just bought some dwarf models and constructed an all shooty dwarf army! Tell me what ya all think!:cool:

Lords/heroes:
Rune lord: anvil of doom, gromril armor, rune of stone, GW, master rune of adment, 2xrune of spell breaking, rune of spell eating= 471points
Thane: GW, gromril armor, shiel, dwarf handgun, rune of stone= 86points
Thane: GW, master rune of gromril, master rune of spite= 139points

Core units:
10x thunderers: shields, musician= 155points
10x thunderers: shields, musician= 155points
10x quarrelers: musician, shields= 125points
10x quarrelers: musician, shields= 125points
14x thunderers: shields, musician, standard bearer, champion= 235points(thane with handgun goes in this unit)

Special units:
1x cannon: rune of reloading, engineer= 115points
1x cannon: engineer= 105points
1x grudge thrower=80 points
2x bolt throwers: engineers= 120points

Rare units:
2x organ guns= 240points

Total 2151points:cries:

So what do ya all think?:evilgrin:

static-breed
16-02-2006, 19:35
Boring to say the least.

Anything with cavalry would give you some serious trouble, I suggest atleast 1 unit of warriors with great weapons, or even some slayers ro something. Anything but this, though.

dwarf lord
16-02-2006, 20:12
I think your opponent will only play you one time thats what I think. Dwarf armies have 2 great strengths and you are only using one of them..get some rock solid infantry in there too! From a win loss point of view if you want to play a all shooting army then make your units of thunderers about 16 strong with full command so they can reform 2 take a charge It will be hard to get all the guns to bare but those units w/ full command can hold there own against most core infantry in hth. I think you will soon become tired of this army and your opponent wont be to thrilled with you but thats just me. The dawrf army has tons of good troop types(I always have trouble fitting in what I want) so use that variety and you wont become bored.

Quin 242
16-02-2006, 20:35
Why would he only get played once?
I'm new to WHFB but that army looks like fun. The Dwarf quarrelers and thunders, when given shields make for decent hand to hand combatants once any part of the enemy get close enough to charge and with that much fire power it can be hoped that not much will get that close...

Since there are unlikely to be 5 hills on the Dwarven side I can see why the units are as small as they are. They allow the units to line out without completely filling the deployment zone and blocking LOS for the cannons/warmachines...

At any rate.. it's possible that this player has BEEN fielding the standard mixed unit dwarf army and just wants to try something new :)

dwarf lord
16-02-2006, 20:44
Quinn, since you are new heres the deal. People dont like playing against any maximized type army(ie shooting, magic etc). This army is perfectly legal and he is welcome 2 play it. Have you ever played against a all skink army? Try facing 100 skirmished, poisoned skinks in 2000 pts and tell me how fun it is. Or maybe say 10 ratling guns? Or about 16 power dice of magic? Go play those armies and then ask this question again.

Akuma
16-02-2006, 20:58
In short - typical gunline - will lose to all undead ( VC , TK alike ) and lods of chaos ultra fast armys ... remember that you will have huge problems in deploying to get all those units to shoot on top of that Brettonia will give you big problems - either RAF or even normal maxed out knight army ... you would also suffer aginst WE as he can shoot your troops from affar ( while beeing so mobile to easly avoid your crossbowman ) in fact making gunline is - a) booring b) not so overpowered ( empire will easly make mockery out of your army ... ) ... all in all i wouldn't recomend this set up - try to take 40 warriors - somethin WILL get to you ( via screening for example ) and when this happens in short - your tosted ...

static grass
16-02-2006, 21:14
If I was going to max out on something then I wouldn't chose shooting as it is not that effective by itself. The dwarf list works best with some combat unit so I do not consider this list to not be the cheesyistical list I have ever seen.

I think the looks fun except for the runelord. It is a little lame to take a good old traditionalist runelord along with all that gunpowder leadbelching whizbangery. Swap him for an Engineer instead and swap a thane for a mere runesmith and I'll be happy with it.

When you post an army list that is unbalanced that there will be a queue of experts waiting to teach you how to play Warhammer rock-paper-scissors. With lines like... you WILL lose to army X plusrmy Y will pwn you too.

Just remember though that (if) you need to (write with so many) of these() guys (then you are probably) if not (definately) a little stupid.

gortexgunnerson
17-02-2006, 01:17
You are not making the best out of your shooting as you have no runes on any warmachines! Though you can get more a few well choosen runes turns dwarven artillery into real killers.

I think your line will be far too static no thunderers have lost move and fire, and without combat support will be destroyed by most experienced generals. 20 units of 20 warriors with hand weapons and shields in exchange for the large unit of thunderers and 1 cannon will really increase the amount of wins as these units are cheapish at ~200 and with T4 and 3+ save can fight off the majority of combat units. This forces your oppenent to try and out play you in the movement phase. This takes extra time which brings in vital extra rounds of shooting.

patataman
17-02-2006, 16:52
Boring army
ad...Dwarf is a good army don ruin it whit a boring SAD army ._.

PD: I beat your army easy whit mi skaven whit the baner of the storm :P put runes to the warmachin :P

ROCKY
17-02-2006, 17:25
I am sorry:cries: I am new with dwarfs. I thank you all for the tips. So you are all suggesting that I drop some thunderers and put in some units of warriors/longbeards and such, groovy. As for the rune lord, I like him here because of heavy fire power (2d6 hits on up to 3units anywhere on the table if i roll ancient power on the wrath and ruin spell). so assuming i add warriors/longbeards what should I chnge about my gunline? I was considering taking 1unit of 16thunderers, and one unit of quarrelers (around 16) and use the points to get (as said) warriors/longbeards and how about i drop a cannon and take some iron breakers or miners.:evilgrin: ps. I know how dull this army seems, but do not worry! I actually have a balanced army for my dwarf lord and his hammerers!:D I merely wanted to see if it was a good idea for an army to have this many guns.oh well:skull:

Akuma
17-02-2006, 18:23
1 Runelord @ 440 Pts
General; Gromril Armour
#Anvil of Doom [0]
Runic Armour [75]
aster Rune of Gromril
Rune of Resistance
Rune of Shielding
Runic Talisman [50]
Rune of Spellbreaking (x2)

1 Master Engineer 80 Pts

2x 20 Warriors 205 Pts
Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician; Veteran

2x 10 Thunderers 140 Pts

2x 10 Miners 145 Pts
Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Prospector; Steamdrill

1 Bolt Thrower 80 Pts
Engineer
Flakkson's Rune of Seeking
Rune of Burning

1 Bolt Thrower 75 Pts
Engineer
Flakkson's Rune of Seeking

1 Cannon 105 Pts
Engineer

2x Organ Gun 240 Pts

Dispel Pool: 6
Casting Pool: 2
Models in Army: 107
Total Army Cost: 2000

Here you are :) I suggest this if you want not so dull and VERY competable dwarf army - resolves around shooting but has lods of tricks to unleash on opponent ... feel free to comment on it ( dwarf runesmiht is personal preference - runes can be changed freely )

patataman
17-02-2006, 19:26
I am sorry:cries: I am new with dwarfs. I thank you all for the tips. So you are all suggesting that I drop some thunderers and put in some units of warriors/longbeards and such, groovy. As for the rune lord, I like him here because of heavy fire power (2d6 hits on up to 3units anywhere on the table if i roll ancient power on the wrath and ruin spell). so assuming i add warriors/longbeards what should I chnge about my gunline? I was considering taking 1unit of 16thunderers, and one unit of quarrelers (around 16) and use the points to get (as said) warriors/longbeards and how about i drop a cannon and take some iron breakers or miners.:evilgrin: ps. I know how dull this army seems, but do not worry! I actually have a balanced army for my dwarf lord and his hammerers!:D I merely wanted to see if it was a good idea for an army to have this many guns.oh well:skull:

use ironbraker :S they are hard to beat (ARS 2+and tougnes 4 :S)
The anvis is a good opcion to

The shoty army is a good idea.......boring but win just like te SAD army ^^u

ROCKY
17-02-2006, 23:41
Thanks for the tips y'all! I think I am going to beef up the miners (combine them so that they are around 18) and get a unit of 15iron breakers! (i am playing a 2150point game) plus i might trade in a organ gun to get a gyrocopter (can fly/shoot:cheese: ). again, thank you all for the help!:p

TAU AIR CASTE
18-02-2006, 02:21
I think you should make your units 12 strong so they can rank up and have 2 ranks if needed. I think you should lose the anvil as the ancient power is unreliable, it can blow it's self up and I think it works better when you have block units. I would instead add a unit of warriors 19/20 strong so they can fight and hold a charge attach your new lord? to them. Also an engineer would be a good addition to the army and you could entrench a war machine making them far more survivable. By the way I don't think your army is boring or cheesy.

Crazy Harborc
18-02-2006, 20:24
IMHO, why not an all shooting army? HOWEVER......if it's going to be the only version of a Dwarf army he will be fielding, then it'll get very old very quickly. Opponents just may find reasons not to play against the player/army.

Very few opponents I know have only one "carved in stone" army list for any of their armies/races. In fact none do.

It does take time to have the numbers of minies to make up different versions of a Dwarf (or whatever) army list for a battle. It's worth it to be able to have a variety to choose from;)