PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Heresy TSons Paint Scheme

CoolKidRoc
19-04-2010, 15:15
Hey Guys,

I was thinking about starting a pre-heresy thousand sons army. And was looking through the Horus Heresy Graphic Novel and noticed that the shoulder pad trim changed from White to Grey to Silver to Gold. And not in a very uniform way. Is there any reason for the changes of color, is there a set scheme?

Thanks

wazatdingder
19-04-2010, 15:18
Tzeentch has his ways.

Whitehorn
19-04-2010, 15:25
It's a good question.

Artists take liberties, but I would put this down to organisation.

We have 5 cults in the Thousand Sons which could translate to colours. Perhaps they're simply veterans in white.

Thanatos_elNyx
19-04-2010, 15:30
In A Thousand Sons, they describe them as trimmed with Ivory.

CoolKidRoc
19-04-2010, 15:38
Yeah, I was trying to figure out if it was organization or not. Maybe broken down to FOCs (kind of works that way) but then you have Tac Squads with the four different colors, the Heavy Teams are generally a grey or dark silver, and the elites are usually a gold.

It's just those darn liberties of artists that start to screw things up ;)

So Thousands Sons says Ivory huh? Is that for the entire chapter?

Oh and what are the 5 cults (pre-heresy?)

Thanatos_elNyx
19-04-2010, 16:17
I'm not sure it was for the entire Legion, but that is also how the cover art is depicted

The Cults were ('are' if the post-heresy still use them):
Corvidae = Far Seers
Pyrae = Pyrokinetics
Raptora = Telekinetics
Athanaeans = Telepaths
Pavoni = Healers

Thats off the top of my head, I can recheck later tonight or someone will correct me.

EDIT: Thanks Whitehorn

Whitehorn
19-04-2010, 16:24
Athanaeans :)

Gold seems prominent on Ahriman and his bodyguard, which is 1st company, Scarab Occult.
Phosis is shown in gold (2nd company)
Uzthizarr also in gold (5th)
Most other pictures seem white trimmed, with some gold trimmed troopers too.

It really is a mix up between white and gold from the art :/

AndrewGPaul
19-04-2010, 17:49
The white, grey and silver are probably supposed to represent the same colour, or at least, the trim is officially pale grey but some Marines use silver. Same as how the Ultramarine's 2nd company colour is yellow, but they all have gold trim. The gold could be unit-specific or a sign of rank or decoration.

Off-topic; graphic novel? where?

CoolKidRoc
19-04-2010, 17:57
Ok, maybe not exactly graphic novel, but book with pictures ;) http://www.spuler.us/40k/large/the_horus_heresy_-_vol_1.jpg

Aiwass
19-04-2010, 18:11
Here some images for inspiration. All seems grey and/or gold.

Lordsaradain
19-04-2010, 18:18
Weird. The "Thousand Son" heavy support squad leader has a World Eater-looking-sign on his knee...

CoolKidRoc
19-04-2010, 18:47
Yeah, here are some pictures that are more of the Whites and Dark Greys I was referring to.

So you can see, that it ranges very much from White, to Gold, to Silver/Grey, to Dark Grey.

I just don't know why. Does anyone know why?

AndrewGPaul
19-04-2010, 20:38
Different artists. I don't suppose the art directors really got that nitpicky as to make them all use exactly the same shade of grey. :) It's not really important.

Magos Explorator
19-04-2010, 21:20
I figure you can do whichever you prefer--in a large Legion and several new types of armour during the Great Crusade/Heresy, it's possible things changed or were nonstandard. I use gold for mine.

primarch111
19-04-2010, 21:35
some one correct me if I'm wrong but i think in the book it said that the cult they belonged to was show by an icon on their shoulder guard and not the trim.

Whitehorn
19-04-2010, 22:16
...and yet the arists go and put the TS logo on whichever pad they fancy :)

Short answer: The book shows 4 choices of trim. Pick one. Or more...

yanlou
19-04-2010, 22:21
from what i remember reading white represents first company, but that could be wrong

Aiwass
19-04-2010, 23:30
I'm not sure it was for the entire Legion, but that is also how the cover art is depicted

The Cults were ('are' if the post-heresy still use them):
Corvidae = Far Seers
Pyrae = Pyrokinetics
Raptora = Telekinetics
Athanaeans = Telepaths
Pavoni = Healers

Thats off the top of my head, I can recheck later tonight or someone will correct me.

EDIT: Thanks Whitehorn

Little off-topic question here. Where can I get some fluff about this cults and symbols?

Thanatos_elNyx
19-04-2010, 23:37
It is in the Horus Heresy book A Thousand Sons. Its a good read, well worth it for any Thousand son fan.

AndrewGPaul
20-04-2010, 08:39
Mind you, if you read the book for "fluff about this cults and symbols", you'll be disappointed. The novel really doesn't go into any detail about the Thousand Sons cults - Ahriman explains briefly their roles to one character, and we see their different powers in use - and there's no mention at all of any cult markings. It's a novel after all, not a uniform guide.

"well worth it for any Thousand son fan" That's selling it a bit short. It's worth a read if you want a good novel in the 40K setting, and not just because you like the colour of the Marines on the cover. :)

Irbian
20-04-2010, 09:16
Here you can get some inspiration: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228225

Aiwass
20-04-2010, 09:28
It is in the Horus Heresy book A Thousand Sons. Its a good read, well worth it for any Thousand son fan.

Mind you, if you read the book for "fluff about this cults and symbols", you'll be disappointed. The novel really doesn't go into any detail about the Thousand Sons cults - Ahriman explains briefly their roles to one character, and we see their different powers in use - and there's no mention at all of any cult markings. It's a novel after all, not a uniform guide.

"well worth it for any Thousand son fan" That's selling it a bit short. It's worth a read if you want a good novel in the 40K setting, and not just because you like the colour of the Marines on the cover. :)

Thank you guys for the info. As I imagined, is a novel :( and I'm of the view that codex>novels in fluff terms, so no cults for me.