PDA

View Full Version : Do Eldar settle new (Exodite?) worlds?

Night Bearer
19-04-2010, 15:08
Are the only Eldar worlds those they already inhabited before the Fall? Are Exodite colonies the only kind of Eldar worlds that exist?

In other words, and for lack of a better word, would "Craftworld" Eldar ever be found on a planet, with an equivalent level/breadth of civilization? Have the Eldar settled new worlds since the Fall?

theJ
19-04-2010, 15:32
Well, the craftworlders are effectively bound to their craftworlds (they need 'em to place their spirit stones in). The dark eldar on the other hand could very well have some colony somewhere - although none have ever been mentioned in the fluff.
Exodites, as a whole, rarely bother with 'stuff' happening outside of their respective planet. It's certainly possible for them to move to another planet, but they would only do so if they had absolutely no other choice (by no choice I mean tyranid invasion, exterminatus, planet getting dragged into the warp, that sorta thing). Once again, no recorded events of it happening - ever.

NeoMonolith
19-04-2010, 15:45
Craftwolders don't really become exodites, but some craftworlds are dead-set on capturing new planets, that they can move exodite populations to.

Idaan
19-04-2010, 16:11
Yes, they do colonise.
CRAFTWORLD COLONIES
Since the Fall, the Eldar Craftworlds have established many colonies of their own. These colonies are not independent, but remain a part of their society, and provide troops and raw materials for the home Craftworld. Colony planets are connected to their Craftworlds by means of warp tunnels. The number of colony planets associated with a Craftworld is tremendously variable, some have hundreds while others have only one or two. Most have about a dozen. These colonies are quite distinct from the earlier phase of colonisation by Exodites prior to the fall. The Eldar Knights, as the Exodites call themselves, remain fiercely independent. Although they trade and sometimes aid the Craftworlds they conduct their societies along entirely different lines, regarding the Craftworld civilisations as being dangerously close to the old Eldar ways which led to their downfall.
The colonies are mentioned again in modern fluff, on p12, second paragraph of 4 edition Eldar Codex.

Master_of_Asgard
19-04-2010, 18:52
Well, the craftworlders are effectively bound to their craftworlds (they need 'em to place their spirit stones in).

I know it's a bit off topic but what happens to exodite souls then?

Mr Zoat
19-04-2010, 18:55
Plugged into the World Spirit, a network of obelisks which perform the same role as the Infinity Circuit on a Craftworld.

theJ
19-04-2010, 18:56
The Exodites were not involved in the whole decadence schabang, therefore their souls are not bound to Slaanesh and so they die "free".

I could be wrong...

EDIT: crap, someone beat me to it... and it seems I was wrong, too... *cries*

[SD] Bob Plisskin
19-04-2010, 21:47
EDIT: crap, someone beat me to it... and it seems I was wrong, too... *cries*

Hang your head in shame :)

Certain craftworlds would be more into this kind of thing as described above. I would suspect biel-tan are one of the craftworlds that do this the most as they are fiercly protective of Eldar communities and maiden worlds.

elvinltl
20-04-2010, 05:20
They should seriously just establish another homeworld and stop their nomadic craftworld adventure.

Poseidal
20-04-2010, 08:02
Craftoworlds have advantages that a lone planet wouldn't get.

They use colonies on planets to get materials and supplies for the craftworld which they otherwise wount have; I think meat was the biggest import.

Kal Taron
20-04-2010, 08:33
The most notable advantage of a Craftworld is that it's almost immune to attack. Your enemy needs to find you first which is almost impossible. (IIRC even Iyanden faced the battle voluntarily.) And then you have to bypass the defending fleet.

Iracundus
20-04-2010, 08:43
The most notable advantage of a Craftworld is that it's almost immune to attack. Your enemy needs to find you first which is almost impossible. (IIRC even Iyanden faced the battle voluntarily.) And then you have to bypass the defending fleet.

You do not remember correctly. Iyanden was forced to fight because Kraken was too large of a fleet to hide from and too large to preemptively strike with Iyanden's fleet. This fact had to be driven home to the assembled Iyanden population by the Eldar Ranger that had seen and tracked the Tyranids' advance.

Craftworlds don't seem to provide as much protection from their difficulty to find as they used to given how Craftworlds have been destroyed in both the SM and Tyranid codices.

Flame Boy
20-04-2010, 11:47
That is interesting. I didn't know there were Craftworld Colonies. The current Eldar Codex says that Biel Tan protect Maiden Worlds visciously to act as the foothold for when the Eldar attempt to rebuild their empire, but the way it was worded, I didn't think that was happening.

Do you think these colonies are totally sanctioned by the parent Craftworld, or that they are comparable to a B&B for any Outcasts passing by?

elvinltl
20-04-2010, 14:11
You do not remember correctly. Iyanden was forced to fight because Kraken was too large of a fleet to hide from and too large to preemptively strike with Iyanden's fleet. This fact had to be driven home to the assembled Iyanden population by the Eldar Ranger that had seen and tracked the Tyranids' advance.

Craftworlds don't seem to provide as much protection from their difficulty to find as they used to given how Craftworlds have been destroyed in both the SM and Tyranid codices.

I think their Farseers had foreseen the Tyranid incursion and held a long long long long long debate until the rangers told them that the time spent arguing could very well steer Iyanden off the course of the Tyranids. lol

Ambience 327
20-04-2010, 14:20
Exodites, as a whole, rarely bother with 'stuff' happening outside of their respective planet. It's certainly possible for them to move to another planet, but they would only do so if they had absolutely no other choice (by no choice I mean tyranid invasion, exterminatus, planet getting dragged into the warp, that sorta thing). Once again, no recorded events of it happening - ever.

Since the "World Spirits" of the Exodites (their "Infinity Circuit" analog) are bound to their settled worlds, for the Exodites to up and leave their world wholesale (i.e. everybody goes) would be nearly unthinkable. To do so would be nothing less than abandoning the souls of countless generations of their ancestors to the depredations of the Warp. This is not something they would even consider doing unless the doom of their entire population was basically guaranteed.

MagosHereticus
20-04-2010, 14:58
Since the "World Spirits" of the Exodites (their "Infinity Circuit" analog) are bound to their settled worlds, for the Exodites to up and leave their world wholesale (i.e. everybody goes) would be nearly unthinkable. To do so would be nothing less than abandoning the souls of countless generations of their ancestors to the depredations of the Warp. This is not something they would even consider doing unless the doom of their entire population was basically guaranteed.

its not impossible for some of the population to bud off and form a new colony leaving most of the community behind

Condottiere
20-04-2010, 19:59
I think that subject was dealt with in James Cameron's Avatar, though the aliens seemed a little too blue, too big and too pacifistic.