PDA

View Full Version : BA Sanguinary Guard army

vinny t
20-04-2010, 20:47
Do you think an army made up primarily of Sanguinary Guard led by Dante would be any good?
Why or Why not?

Zanzibarthefirst
20-04-2010, 20:53
probably not; too few numbers and no invulnerable saves.

On the other hand, its mobile, has decent firepower especially against 4+ armies like eldar. Powerful on the charge especially combined with Sanguinor and a banner

baphomael
20-04-2010, 20:55
It'd be interesting to see, and certainly a strong theme, but would it be any good on the tabletop?

I'm not sure that it would. Putting all eggs in one basket springs to mind. Sang Guard are expensive, so your army is going to be pretty small. Likewise, for a similar points cost to five sang guard you can get five TH/SS termis which are far more resilien. Sang guard might have a tasty 2+ save, but without any kind of invulnerable an all sang guard armylist is going to get hurt a lot by those AP2 weapons. A Guard army, for example, with a good smattering of lascannons and plasma weapons could really put the hurt into an all sang guard army.

But then, of course, they hit hard and are pretty mobile with those jump packs. Of course, with very few models on the tabletop (and the chance that they might utterly destroy an enemy squad in CC, leaving them out in the open for retaliation) are they going to be able to dish out enough hurt on the enemy as well as claim/contest objectives? I dont think they will, a few unlucky rolls and a few casualties to AP2 weapons and things are going to look decidedly pessimistic.

swifty2
20-04-2010, 20:55
Its definitely got its merits, an entire army of truly elite assault marines that could cause serious damage to anything they encounter, however you're going to have so few numbers you'll feel every single casualty, you'll have a serious lack of support aswell which could leave the guard units vulnerable.

Znail
20-04-2010, 20:56
Pretty good against other marines with all those powerweapons and furious charge.

SPYDER68
20-04-2010, 21:00
Sounds like a weak version of a Terminator army to me.

Znail
20-04-2010, 21:09
Sounds like a weak version of a Terminator army to me.

Well, its a more mobile and with greater numbers then a Terminator army. The mobility is obvious and the greater numbers comes from no need for any transportation. Sanguinary Guard does have a pretty fair number of ups and downs compared with Terminators. Personaly I think the SG army looks significantly better then the Deathwing does.

hawo0313
20-04-2010, 22:08
also to remember they can deep strike with more accuracy thanks to descent of angels. I like the Idea anyway one thing sang guard can get termies dont are melta weapons

23rd elysian
20-04-2010, 22:50
I have played this type of army with Dante, librarian, 3 units of sang guard, 2 honour guard (for the meltas + fnp).

I have only played a couple of games against standard marines and tau. It worked surprisingly well and I have won all my games with it so far (only 4). HOWEVER the lists I played against were by no means close to tournament standard and 3 of the games were on 4X4 tables. Against a good player with a real list expect to get tabled unless you are pretty lucky.

Advice would be make careful use of fnp bubbles, deploy conservatively and make good use of Dante's lack of scatter.

A good tactic I found was to DS behind enemy tanks especially with Dante and hope you don't roll a 6 when you invariably blow it up. The wreck then provides you with cover, hopefully keeps you out of LOS and if done properly will not leave you too vulnerable assaults.

Edit: Librarian 5+ inv save power has also proved useful especially as its cast in your opponents turn so leaves you free to blood lance tanks or force weapon stuff in your turn.

NeoMonolith
20-04-2010, 23:48
Bad.
Lack of efficient anti-tank (meltapistols have almost no range), and your CC punch is fairly weak - compared to what other armies get.
All your shooting is also short-ranged, and won't scare many armies.

Guess if you packed in a bunch of honor guard, you'd get some priests, but I doubt it will be enough.

Completely uncompetitive, but having a bunch of marines wearing more gold than Mister T is badass.

Scribe of Khorne
21-04-2010, 00:01
Someone is doing it atleast. http://www.the-vanus-temple.com/?p=1881 :D

Doppleskanger
21-04-2010, 01:21
Superb fun in apocalypse I'd imagine!

Vaktathi
21-04-2010, 03:17
It might be a cool theme, but I can see some IG armies tabling it in two turns of shooting with clockwork regularity, and not standing a chance against a green tide or Tyranids.

Sanguinary guard, like many space marine CC units, are essentially anti-other Space Marines. An all sanguinary guard list might work against another CC oriented SM army, I imagine it'd probably do ok against Black Templars, but even then it'd be very sub optimal.

The low numbers mean it just can't sustain casualties, even one enemy power weapon over a round or two of CC will break the effectiveness of a 5man Sanguinary Guard unit turning into a one use squad, and their lack of an invul save means they will have no defense against such weapons, and god help them if an IG vet squad with 3 PG's runs up to them.

Thud
21-04-2010, 10:46
It's a tricky army to get to work, but yes, it can work. Not in a super-competitive way, but if you learn how to play with it you'll be able to put up a good fight.

Make sure you capitalize on your strengths, though.