PDA

View Full Version : My Rant

Hero adamite
20-04-2010, 23:40
Here is my little rant. I recently purchased a Space Marine Thunderfire Cannon and boy was i angry. The gun barrel doesn't fit together properly as there is a big crack on either the barrel or the oppossite side depending on how you hold it.
Also the back (4 circle piece) part doesn't even fit into that little space at the back of the barrel. The spot for it is not big enough.
And why do they bother with making models in pewter when they just convert them to plastic eventually anyways most of the time.

Was just curious to see if anyone else has had or been having this same problem.

Thanks,

Hunger
20-04-2010, 23:47
That sucks.

You could send it back, but if the parts are as badly fitting as you say it may be a poorly made mould.

I say get busy with the file and greenstuff - it may be less hassle than trying to get hold of a good one.

massey
21-04-2010, 01:27
Call GW. They're usually pretty good about sending replacement parts. They'll probably send you a brand new one.

e2055261
21-04-2010, 01:31
Yeah give GW a ring/visit. They'll replace it and probably let you keep the one you have which can probably be fixed with a bit of filing, greenstuff and patience. So then you'll have two thunderfire cannons.

Laughingmonk
21-04-2010, 03:06
Two out of the three trygon kits I've had have come with warped bases. Not just a little warped, but enough to have the trygon rocking. This is exceedingly irritating. Other than that, I've really had pretty good luck with GW kits.

That being said, my brother had an interesting situation where he got a devastator squad to use for his long fangs, but in the box there were parts for 15 torsos and legs :wtf: . He went back, and they replaced the box with no questions asked (except for a receipt, of course).

Just call GW. Whatever their support of rules is, they are quite fantastic with customer service towards their model range.

Rich 123
21-04-2010, 19:26
Hi HeroAdamite,

Pity that it sounds so bad. I haven't made a Thunderfire for my marines (don't much like the mini and prefer my Techmarine on his bike) but I have heard the same complaints from many people. I think this mould just isn't the best of the pewter ones.

Getting it replaced might get you a slightly better one but, from the general moanings from those with the mini, it might be a better plan to sit down with your modeling tools and file, pin and sculpt the thing into fitting nicely! Shouldn't be too hard as it is quite a regular shape, so shouldn't need resculpting any details from what I can see (hopefully!).

That being said, my brother had an interesting situation where he got a devastator squad to use for his long fangs, but in the box there were parts for 15 torsos and legs . He went back, and they replaced the box with no questions asked (except for a receipt, of course).

Funny you should say that, I ordered a box of Devastators and got a box of Devastators in the post but, upon opening, it was all the parts in the DA veteran squad! Just like your bro GW were happy to replace it, and I got some funky bits for my bits box. It just never happened with any other box... maybe the person packing all the Devastator boxes just doesn't take much interest!

Good luck with the repair job!
Dicky

Hunger
21-04-2010, 19:34
Two out of the three trygon kits I've had have come with warped bases. Not just a little warped, but enough to have the trygon rocking.

Several IG HW teams of mine are mounted on warped 60mm bases. Its annoying, but I really didn't want to have to walk all the way back across the city to get them replaced.

I wish I had now, because its the little things like that that annoy me.

Starchild
21-04-2010, 19:59
It just never happened with any other box... maybe the person packing all the Devastator boxes just doesn't take much interestI've seen the kind of people who work at the GW Factory in Memphis, TN. They're all unskilled labor, the kind you'd see working at Burger King or McDonald's in the States.

Not that I have any prejudice against minimum wage employees, just making an observation. :o

jthdotcom
21-04-2010, 20:47
Thundefire cannons are one of the notorious "bugger to buil" models. Take it back to a gw store and they will give you a new one, as already mentioned, GW's customer service regarding product fault, and even just regular "I've changed my mind" exchanges, is excellent

Griffindale
21-04-2010, 20:53
Yeah, I heard the thunderfire cannon is just a really crappy model. I guess you can't really say the model is defective then, just really poor quality.

Vlad Urkana
21-04-2010, 21:04
Everytime I've had problems with models I've just called up GW and told them what the problem is and they sent a replacement. One time they even shipped out 2 carnifex kits to replace one that just a little malformed in the mold. That is a glorious little mistake to my benefit.

Apparently they have a tonne of problems with packing and moulding their models. I've had two leman russ kits that didn't have proper sponsoons in them, a lictor that came with 3 right legs and no left, a chaos marine box with no bases and myriad other errors. All of which I ended up getting a replacement for in the post.

I would definately say to call over going back to the store for your complaint. You are quite likely to end up with a completely new model.

viking657
21-04-2010, 23:27
Its a problem with this kit, your unlikely to get a better version though its worth trying. The quality of the parts is really shocking in this kit and many people have complained.

Vlad Urkana
23-04-2010, 14:29
All the more reason to call them up and try to get a replacement. I would much rather have two kits that need minor work as compared to one kit that goes together flawlessly.

gwarsh41
23-04-2010, 14:34
I order all of my high price kits off of the website so if there is a problem I can get it replaced quickly. That and the store out here is not a GW one so if the kit is bad from the store GW wont replace it.

Vlad Urkana
23-04-2010, 14:50
I buy almost exclusively from the Warstore and I've never had a problem with them replacing a kit if I call up. Emailing customer service is another story entirely though.

Shaftsbury
23-04-2010, 15:03
Not that I have any prejudice against minimum wage employees, just making an observation. :o

Most GW staff are on minimum wage.