PDA

View Full Version : Terror from the Deep Question

WildAnimal
21-04-2010, 00:29
Hi everyone

The Mawloc ability "Terror from the Deep". How does it work?

You can't according to the rulebook choose to deep strike on enemy models, so i figure the mawlocs can't either with its TftD ability? this sounds absurd!
I think the meaning is that the Mawloc "Large Blast" can be directly targeted ontop of enemy models, and then roll for scatter.

Are you then having to trust on a lucky scattering roll to hit the enemy? Becouse then its totaly useless

come on! it cost 170 points! GW please release a FAQ!

MasterDecoy
21-04-2010, 00:31
Covered numerous times by numerous threads in the rules forum, search more, troll less please.

WildAnimal
21-04-2010, 00:32
Sorry tried the Search feature, found nothing, so its was not intended trolling

Someone show me there Search-Fu ability, yes?

LonelyPath
21-04-2010, 00:39
Try this:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242612&highlight=Mawloc

But it is pretty simple to work out with a little common sense and thanks to a article in WD a couple of months ago. Hopefully it'll be made even easier if they decide to release a FAQ and clear it up once and for all.

Bestaltan
21-04-2010, 01:57
We need an FAQ for a lot more than the mawloc rule.

Which is why my Orks are going to Ard Boyz this year instead of my Bugs. Shame that, as my Bugs are usually my favorite tournament army to play.

noobzilla
21-04-2010, 02:42
I'm not sure where in the rulebook it says that you can't deepstrike on top of enemy models.

All in all, if your opponent wants to be a gigantic jerk and rob a unit of it's intended purpose, he's probably the kind of guy you want to just pack up and leave against, because the rest of the game won't be enjoyable at all.

massey
21-04-2010, 06:33
He appears from nowhere and forces your guys to play X-Com 2. They kill themselves in frustration.

ehlijen
21-04-2010, 08:08
I'm not sure where in the rulebook it says that you can't deepstrike on top of enemy models.

All in all, if your opponent wants to be a gigantic jerk and rob a unit of it's intended purpose, he's probably the kind of guy you want to just pack up and leave against, because the rest of the game won't be enjoyable at all.

Whether he can or not, he does not loose his funtion. Even if he can't aim for enemy models, he can still aim to turn up in btb contact and get at least some of the with his blast marker. Less useful, yes, but not useless.

WildAnimal
21-04-2010, 10:19
Whether he can or not, he does not loose his funtion. Even if he can't aim for enemy models, he can still aim to turn up in btb contact and get at least some of the with his blast marker. Less useful, yes, but not useless.

Are you serious?, You cant deep strike directly into base to base combat. then i would just pick a normal Trygon for going into hth. The Mawloc is kinda bad in hth...anyway guess you are one of those guys who will rob the miniature for its intended purpose.

Sorros
21-04-2010, 10:46

Same person who would ignore the Banshees striking first into cover--its obviously their intended purpose, but the wording got screwed up.

I suppose I would allow the deep strike for friendly games and such, but for competitive, I wouldn't really know. Might just roll it off. I would wait for an FAQ or something, its a highly debatable rule.

WildAnimal
21-04-2010, 10:50
Its quite easy, people will not use the Mawloc if they can't use there ability as intended, then they would go for another Trygon instead.

Generaly i have other enjoyable things to do in my life, then spending time with people who just want to win not having fun playing.

Thanks for answers, people. I will just wait for the FAQ to be come, if ever.

ehlijen
21-04-2010, 10:52
Are you serious?, You cant deep strike directly into base to base combat. then i would just pick a normal Trygon for going into hth. The Mawloc is kinda bad in hth...anyway guess you are one of those guys who will rob the miniature for its intended purpose.

You misunderstand. All I'm suggesting is placing the mawloc as close to the enemy models as possible wihout actually placing it on top of them (ie btb contact). That way, his rule is still triggered and you get at least some of the models with the blast while avoiding the potential argument. I am fully aware that this won't trigger a combat and that is not what I am suggesting.

WildAnimal
21-04-2010, 11:05
OK,thats still much better to get the Normal Trygon then. Anyway the idea of the rules for the mawloc is to put a finger on a model or ground. then roll the scatter and then where it ends up put the large template and then place the mawloc.

The rules are simply worded so bad. Its making me not want to play the game, when such thinks come up. Guess we just all have to play Space marine chapters then.

NeoMonolith
21-04-2010, 11:27
You can deep strike wherever you want: on top of enemy infantry, besides tanks, on top of close combats, etc.

If you happen to end up on units after the scatter's been rolled, then you are to look in the big book to see what happens to them.

WildAnimal
21-04-2010, 11:38
Think the problem is the initial targeting of the Deep Strike. Its says you have to put the model down first and roll for scatter. Or are im incorrect? problem is that the mawloc can't be placed ontop of enemy models before the scatter, according to the big book.
Can't just use your finger to point at a place on the table.
quote the big book:
"First place one model from the unit any where on the table"

Think the idea was to use the Large blast instead, and then as written in the rules to put the mawloc on the table AFTER the large blast have done its job.

Thoras
21-04-2010, 12:00
He appears from nowhere and forces your guys to play X-Com 2. They kill themselves in frustration.

I'm glad i i'm not the only one who read the thread title and cast his mind back to the head days of isometric turn based stratagy...

Grand Master Raziel
21-04-2010, 12:57
I don't have the main rulebook with me right here, but I don't see any confusion with the way the Malwoc TftD rule is worded. One places the large template where the Malwoc is going to go and it runs from there. If the BGB states models may not DS onto other models, then the intent is obviously for the Malwoc to be able to ignore that restriction. Besides, technically speaking, it doesn't. You choose your location, roll for scatter, then place the large blast template on that location to see what's hit. Anything surviving is then moved out of the way, then you place the Malwoc. If someone wants to rules-lawyer with you, you can use that clause to rules-lawyer right back, stating that no DSing onto enemy models is taking place because of that clause.

That said, TftD really, really annoys me, precisely because it breaks a core rule. It's not the attack that bothers me so much as the fact that TftD makes the Malwoc immune to Deep Strike mishaps. If the Malwoc came up under a Land Raider, it really ought to be like the scene in Tremors where the Graboid chased Val and Earl until it ran headlong into a concrete wall. Didn't go so well for the Graboid.

TheShadowCow
21-04-2010, 12:58
Think the problem is the initial targeting of the Deep Strike. Its says you have to put the model down first and roll for scatter. Or are im incorrect? problem is that the mawloc can't be placed ontop of enemy models before the scatter, according to the big book.
Can't just use your finger to point at a place on the table.
quote the big book:
"First place one model from the unit any where on the table"

Think the idea was to use the Large blast instead, and then as written in the rules to put the mawloc on the table AFTER the large blast have done its job.

Indeed, that's the sensible way of handling it.

The unfortunate side-effect of the "but you have to place the Mawloc first" is that you pick a point on the table currently occupied by an enemy model, attempt to place the Mawloc, cannot do so because of the enemy model and therefore proceed straight on to the Mishap table (as you are instructed to do, if you cannot place the model), which in turn morphs into the Terror attack. The "but you have to place the Mawloc first" argument actually allows you to resolve your Terror attack without scattering the attack, which is of course highlights the stupidty of the argument.

WildAnimal
21-04-2010, 13:09
@TheShodowCow: This example with not rolling for scatter is the infamous "Godloc" effect right?

Anyway this just means that i have to have two lists ready for each game, one with a Mawloc and one with a Trygon. Have to ask each opponent before game, how the Mawloc is going to be used. This is really really annoying.

MystheDevourer
21-04-2010, 15:05
That said, TftD really, really annoys me, precisely because it breaks a core rule. It's not the attack that bothers me so much as the fact that TftD makes the Malwoc immune to Deep Strike mishaps. If the Malwoc came up under a Land Raider, it really ought to be like the scene in Tremors where the Graboid chased Val and Earl until it ran headlong into a concrete wall. Didn't go so well for the Graboid.
It is a monstrous creature that can possible rip said land Raider to SHREDS! And what rule does it break? Honestly all it does is change the rule for just it and nothing else.

Remember kiddies Codex Overrules BRB

Indeed, that's the sensible way of handling it.

The unfortunate side-effect of the "but you have to place the Mawloc first" is that you pick a point on the table currently occupied by an enemy model, attempt to place the Mawloc, cannot do so because of the enemy model and therefore proceed straight on to the Mishap table (as you are instructed to do, if you cannot place the model), which in turn morphs into the Terror attack. The "but you have to place the Mawloc first" argument actually allows you to resolve your Terror attack without scattering the attack, which is of course highlights the stupidty of the argument.

This is a SIMPLE matter actually. You take said Mawloc hold him over where you want him (Over the unit you want to kill) and say well I cant place him there because your unit is there so TftD activates and voila; Roaring Mawloc appears (que cheezy battle music)

Simple way that I have used since I got my Mawloc (which was the first of 3 of the kits)

TheShadowCow
21-04-2010, 16:31
@TheShodowCow: This example with not rolling for scatter is the infamous "Godloc" effect right?

Anyway this just means that i have to have two lists ready for each game, one with a Mawloc and one with a Trygon. Have to ask each opponent before game, how the Mawloc is going to be used. This is really really annoying.

Haha yes it is. You're not by chance referring to a monstrous 3,000 word rules/essay I popped into the old Mawloc thread in the Rules section by chance are you? :p

This is a SIMPLE matter actually. You take said Mawloc hold him over where you want him (Over the unit you want to kill) and say well I cant place him there because your unit is there so TftD activates and voila; Roaring Mawloc appears (que cheezy battle music)

Simple way that I have used since I got my Mawloc (which was the first of 3 of the kits)

So do you (as in you, not "the rules") roll for scatter or not? I'm genuinely interested, especially if your regular opponents swallow (lolpun!) that interpretation of the rules.

MystheDevourer
21-04-2010, 16:37
Haha yes it is. You're not by chance referring to a monstrous 3,000 word rules/essay I popped into the old Mawloc thread in the Rules section by chance are you? :p

So do you (as in you, not "the rules") roll for scatter or not? I'm genuinely interested, especially if your regular opponents swallow (lolpun!) that interpretation of the rules.

Oh I roll for scatter but i have to measure from the middle of where I want the base. For that I place a dice and move the dice in the scattered position. 1 time so far i have had to pop it up without the large blast but that was only once.

The store I play at has accepted that that is how it was created to be played and has enforced that set of translation.

Hoodwink
21-04-2010, 16:48
My Mawloc can't DS under your units because models can't DS ontop of other models.

Your Space Marines can't shoot at my units because you can't draw LOS from their eyes as they have no eyes.

I will agree to this scenario of stupidity...

xerxeshavelock
21-04-2010, 16:50
I don't care enough about the wording to not let my opponent place right on my squads. As I don't play as Nids I'm happy enough with that interpretation.