PDA

View Full Version : Dan's Real Multi-Weekly Poll #3

Lord Dan
21-04-2010, 15:17
Sorry about that. For those who missed the final result of the last poll, almost half of the players who voted in the poll use only 2 scrolls in tournament play.

So this poll is obviously a little different from the other two. Simply take a look at the models you have painted and count up the colors you have on any given model. Now obviously different models will have different amounts of colors, so pick a model that you feel represents how most of the models in your army are painted (don't choose your carefully and meticulously painted lord, for instance, if the rest of your troops have 3 colors on them). For those who have multiple armies, choose the one that is most complete.

Undercoats and any paint on the base of the model does not contribute to the number of colors.

Leth Shyish'phak
21-04-2010, 15:29
I was really surprised to see that out of everyone that has voted so far, people only ever use 3, 4, 11 or 12 colours on their models. :wtf:

Then I saw that mine was the second vote. :shifty:

Lord Dan
21-04-2010, 15:34
I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

Peregijn
21-04-2010, 16:24
7-10 on all the models, including inks (old stuff that gw doesnt sell any more) excluding washes (the replacements for inks).

sssk
21-04-2010, 16:38
I've gone for 3 or 4, on the assumption that you mean "main colours". For instance on my wood elves I use red, orange, and grey. So I've classed that as "red", rather than "blood red, ruby red, the red of night, red and breakfast, red-uce reuse recycle" (sorry, sanity vanished from my mind for a second there).

Calibretto
21-04-2010, 16:54
I put 11-12 but that included colors i used for shading and highlighting (and would probably make it 13-14). Actual colors visible (ignoring shades) is probably 7-8.

logan054
21-04-2010, 17:16
i put 17+ if it includes highlights and washes

Arkfatalis
21-04-2010, 18:40
What do you mean? Do you mean main colours or do you mean different colours of paint? Does undercoating count etc ?

FORtheGREATERgood
21-04-2010, 19:44
I fall under the 3 to 4 category but those results are nothing short of shocking.

Ascendant Valor
21-04-2010, 20:10
I went 5-6. I'm no Golden Daemon-worthy painter, and I don't strive to be, but I think anyone, even myself, can get good results with a modest palette and some effort.

I may go back and touch up my models, but that will likely be based on merit. After all, I want my MVP's to look the part!

Desert Rain
21-04-2010, 21:53
I use over 20 different colours on my High Elves.

If you mean main colours, not the actual amount of different coloured paint, I have 4, white, grey, silver and gold.

Lostanddamned
21-04-2010, 21:57
I use about 13-15, depending on which army - my older armies can go as low as four or five but I'd feel like I was cheating if I did that nowadays.

Mudkip
21-04-2010, 22:06
People clearly have different definitions of the word "colour" here due to the lack of a definition in the first post. Are all shades of red one colour, or are red, the darker shade of red from giving the crevices an ink wash and the mixed lighter red highlight three different colours? Bit late for definition now though, since dozens of people have already decided what they think it means and voted.

mrtn
21-04-2010, 22:27
People clearly have different definitions of the word "colour" here due to the lack of a definition in the first post. Are all shades of red one colour, or are red, the darker shade of red from giving the crevices an ink wash and the mixed lighter red highlight three different colours? Bit late for definition now though, since dozens of people have already decided what they think it means and voted.

I used the second definition and voted 17 for a rank and file gor. That's only one of my armies, though.

Oguleth
21-04-2010, 22:58
Used the interpretation as "main colors" (so not counting washes, highlights etc), I voted 5-6. The first minis I painted tended to look like a hippie artwork, so I try to limit myself as much as possible.

Commissar Goddard
21-04-2010, 23:04
Went for 5-6 as main colours.

Davo
21-04-2010, 23:08
Currently painting up Beasts, only painted Gors and Ungors so far so feel that is a fairly good indicator of how my army as a whole will look.

I use different shades of brown, flesh, silver, red and black. Nothing else.

I am a shockingly poor painter though.

someone2040
22-04-2010, 01:26

Yeah... it's kind've hard to vote without that definition of 'main' colours, or colours in total.
Main colours, I try to keep things simple. So flesh, hair, 3 colours for clothing (generally different for boots, pants and shirt), and then probably throw in metal for weapons and shield. So that's 6, but if you include shading and washes it's much more (at least 3x).

Condottiere
22-04-2010, 02:40
If three is the minimum, so be it; painting is neither a strong suit nor a favoured one of mine.

mr.kislev
22-04-2010, 07:35
11 or 12 including highlights and washes

EmperorNorton
22-04-2010, 07:56
I answered 5 or 6, which is just the base colours. For shading and highlights, multiply by 3.

-Grimgorironhide-
22-04-2010, 10:33
Well for my VC vary enormously in colour amounts.

I.e For my ghouls (6th-5th ed models) I have reddish-pinkish skin, Green cloth, Bone nials, Yellow/brown bone weapons, white eyes. So 6. But if it means highlights/shades etc I would be pushing 30+ i'd say.

My etheral models on the other hand have just one. Greenish/blueish greyish white.
Ah I love painting etheral models.

My Grave guard have green, silver, Bone, Wood and gold + white eyes.

cheers.

Whitehorn
22-04-2010, 10:57
This is going to be split amongst those who are thinking colours and those thinking shades.

I use 3-6 colours on a model. Add in low lights and highlights and that translates to 9-18. Adding in multiple highlights....

EdFireborn
22-04-2010, 11:28
7 or 8 usually....

I like having different colours to represent different types of materials, so pouches & bags on empire models are painted differently to one an other for example.

if im painting something that requires little variation (space marines) obviously a lot lower. Though when I painted my unit of eternal guard, there were a lot more (16)

Sureshot05
22-04-2010, 11:31
I answered 5 or 6, which is just the base colours. For shading and highlights, multiply by 3.

For infantry, this is definitely the case for me as well (though maybe mulitply by 3-4).

Grand Warlord
22-04-2010, 14:25
I am not a great painter I am not even very good, But I can usually paint clean enough to get a good look but I rarely go past 5 colors accept on the occaisional banner.

selone
22-04-2010, 17:50
A couple of base coats, say 4-5ish over that, a wash but no highlights really.