PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Squats!

Olja
21-04-2010, 23:54
If, and that's a big IF, Squats/Demiurg were to return how should they be included in the game?

Ozendorph
21-04-2010, 23:55
lock thread, destroy with fire.

MajorWesJanson
21-04-2010, 23:57
Reset the doomsday clock :(

Wolf Lord Balrog
22-04-2010, 00:16
I'd love to see the Squats come back. After they update and FAQ every other codex first. :)

owen matthew
22-04-2010, 01:17
As units in Tau codex.

ASSASSINAWOKEN
22-04-2010, 01:45
No point in multi quoting when all of the replies are hillarious.

Lulz

I for one hate squats, they look really bad and worse they look like marine armies where every marine has the profile of "Timmy"!

Please do not return the squats, they should be poo. I voted to keep them poo.

Hellebore
22-04-2010, 01:50
No point in multi quoting when all of the replies are hillarious.

Lulz

I for one hate squats, they look really bad and worse they look like marine armies where every marine has the profile of "Timmy"!

Please do not return the squats, they should be poo. I voted to keep them poo.

:rolleyes:

You try being sculpted in the 80s and retain a supermodel physique.

If we went by that logic we'd ban EVERY army because their 80s incarnation looks crap.

Luckily we have a thing called 'updating'. You should try it, every army in 40k did, more than once, except the squats. If the space marines remained their 80s incarnation they'd have giant lips painted on their armour, hair metal hair, and they'd be riding scootypuff jnr jetbikes.

Hellebore

Comrade Penguin
22-04-2010, 01:52
I never understood the appeal of that butt ugly army. There is no room in the 40k universe for biker space dwarfs.

Citizensmith
22-04-2010, 01:55
Bring them back as members of the newly reformed Rainbow Warriors SM chapter. And do it before you update the damn emo/goth space elves, its fun to hear them whine. :)

Mabd
22-04-2010, 02:26
Bring 'em back as refugees and part of the IG codex.

Hey, if all the Thousand Sons didn't go to the Eye then all the Squats aren't being digested. That and I'm rereading The Inquisition War. Huh!

ooglatjama
22-04-2010, 02:30
They are more legendary as that race that got ousted

MadHatter
22-04-2010, 02:51
Bring them back as members of the newly reformed Rainbow Warriors SM chapter. And do it before you update the damn emo/goth space elves, its fun to hear them whine. :)

:lol: this is to funny and it would send them right over the edge. You have my vote. :chrome:

As for me I voted for bringing them back. They appeal to some of the older players and as hellebore pointed out they would have a more up todate look and feel.

Everyone in this game has an army or two they favor. and one they truely dispise. So each thier own. Beside we might get some new players with thier return as people for some reason love the drunken dwarves.

rabblerouser
22-04-2010, 03:00
Hahaha inb4 *********

Seriously though, I like the demiurg concept by Jes Goodwyn. I think they have a lot of potential as some sort of ugly, stunted, space miners.

Maskedman5oh4
22-04-2010, 03:15
Main Entry: squat
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): squat·ter; squat·test
Date: 15th century
1 : sitting with the haunches close above the heels
2 a : low to the ground b : marked by disproportionate shortness or thickness

Main Entry: squat
Pronunciation: \ˈskwät\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): squat·ted; squat·ting
Etymology: Middle English squatten to crush, crouch in hiding, from Middle French (Picard dial.) esquatir, escuater, from Old French es- ex- + quatir to hide, from Vulgar Latin *coactire to squeeze, alteration of Latin coactare to compel — more at cache
Date: 15th century
transitive verb
1 : to cause (oneself) to crouch or sit on the ground
2 : to occupy as a squatter <squat in an abandoned building>
intransitive verb
1 : to crouch close to the ground as if to escape observation <a hare squatting in the grass>
2 : to assume or maintain a position in which the body is supported on the feet and the knees are bent so that the buttocks rest on or near the heels
3 : to be or become a squatter

In length, no.

Sturm Moonwolf
22-04-2010, 03:26
Squats are great, I think everyone should own one.

sabreu
22-04-2010, 03:54
Perhaps the second or third serious reply, that isn't written by a child...

I would like to see the Demiurg emerge one day as masters of gravity tech, with weapons that cause pinning, force "slow and purposeful" on their enemies, teleporting. Weapons that can be lifted, er, inspired by Deadspace with the mining theme.

Squats as they were are horrible by today standards, but reimagined could be awesome. Just remember nay sayers, Battlestar Galactica, the original series, held to my viewing today reeks. But the reimagining was awesome, and gave birth to Caprica. So I would gladly accept GW giving the squats that treatment!

Plastic Rat
22-04-2010, 04:08
Confused about the poll. Had no idea there was anything in 40k about cosmetics salesmen... but oh well. *flees*

Project2501
22-04-2010, 04:12
As fond as my memories of rouge trader are, I'm still content with the progression to our current magenta trader :p

On topic: only bring them back in a triumphant return to do battle as part of the end of times :)

EmperorEternalXIX
22-04-2010, 04:12
lock thread, destroy with fire. This.

If the squats ever returned I would punch myself repeatedly in the genitals until I died from sheer pain.

Citizensmith
22-04-2010, 04:31
This.

If the squats ever returned I would punch myself repeatedly in the genitals until I died from sheer pain.

Just make sure to record it and post it on you tube. :)

Hellebore
22-04-2010, 04:40
This.

*Prays to the dark gods that GW does bring the squats back*

Hellebore

The Ginger Ninja
22-04-2010, 04:49
:rolleyes:

If we went by that logic we'd ban EVERY army because their 80s incarnation looks crap.

Hellebore
*CoughNecronCoughTauCoughSisters(?)Cough*
On a positive note, Space Marines would be banned as well :evilgrin:

hobodog
22-04-2010, 05:50
Games Workshop is already going slowly downhill. If the squats return the hill will become a cliff-face.
So NO

Orktavius
22-04-2010, 05:53
instead of playing roshambo solo....how about punching whoever makes the decison to bring squats back in the nuts repeatedly

Wolf Lord Balrog
22-04-2010, 05:54
This.

Now I want them to come back just so I can see this. :D

MadHatter
22-04-2010, 05:54

I would subscribe to this channel if you did.

though I think squats have every bit of a right to be and i do not see them as being the end of GW. if they are sinking its on thier own rules and prices.

Hellebore
22-04-2010, 06:21
*CoughNecronCoughTauCoughSisters(?)Cough*
On a positive note, Space Marines would be banned as well :evilgrin:

Well the necron metals were pretty dire. But I do agree on the tau and sisters. Their initial models were good (probably helps being newer, although the necrons were too...).

Hellebore

Godzooky
22-04-2010, 08:53
You could always bring them back in some capacity as re-animated Tyranid poo.

Squits in excretia armour could be a good seller. :shifty:

grissom2006
22-04-2010, 10:08
Rouge Trader that like the red pirate books i used to read as a kid.:p

If they get done which is highly doubtful after christ knows how many years of cursing GW for dropping the range in the first place. I'd want them back as a stand alone race unlikely to happen they'll end up as some little option to add to the Tau at a guess though.

Memnos
22-04-2010, 10:14
I voted 'Other'. I'm not sure why the Squats would join the Rouge traders. I guess if they were Mary Kay Cosmetics salespeople, then trading rouge would make sense.

I'm always surprised at the number of 40K rouge traders there are. You'd think the old Rogue Traders, who have guns and cannons and sleek thief ships, would kill the pink-and-lacy rouge traders.

Hunger
22-04-2010, 10:16
I think they should give squats a makeover, reinvent them as Squatters.

They would infest long-abandoned planets in the same way as Necrons, but instead of marching out on missions of galactic conquest, they would simply get stoned and avoid washing.

When the righteous warriors of the Imperium arrive to cleanse the planet, the Squatters would play to the Imperial bureaucratic system, presenting all manner of 'Squatters rights' documents that would have to be checked and processed before the planet could be reclaimed.

Godzooky
22-04-2010, 10:20
I voted 'Other'. I'm not sure why the Squats would join the Rouge traders. I guess if they were Mary Kay Cosmetics salespeople, then trading rouge would make sense.

I'm always surprised at the number of 40K rouge traders there are. You'd think the old Rogue Traders, who have guns and cannons and sleek thief ships, would kill the pink-and-lacy rouge traders.

Indeed. I imagine Avon have a lot of representatives hanging around the Eye of Terror making a killing with Slaaneshi worshippers. :eyebrows:

Sai-Lauren
22-04-2010, 10:35
Dropping ranges just because the figures looked bad? Cortez was so bad that Marines should never have existed, just to prevent that thing from ever being made.

To all the nay-sayers I ask this question - don't you want to see another different army opposite you on the table, rather than just another bunch of Marines painted a slightly different colour to the last lot?

Anyway, the Squats didn't look that bad compared to the other ranges around then *(and some of the RT era figures knock their current equivalents out of the ballpark IMO), their fluff wasn't the greatest but passable. The real reason they were removed is because the designers coudln't work out what to do with them, especially as they wanted to take the Imperium to a more "technology as religion" level, and the Squats functionally stood against that.

I say bring them back, updated, and split them off from the Imperium.

Ok, we had the "eggs on legs" of Exo-Armour, and some of the bikers were a little too Hell's Angels, but nothing that couldn't have been improved on - bring the bikers back to a more military type and make the Exo-Armour into mini-dreadnoughts - sized between TDA and a Dreadnought suit, for example.

Whitehorn
22-04-2010, 10:51
Who is this mysterious red trader?

sigur
22-04-2010, 11:43
He's the lovechild of the Emporer and Commissoner Yerk.

Just one serious word in this storm of insanity and trolling: Using "but they is ugly modles" isn't an argument if it's based on personal taste and comparison to today's minis.

Apart from that, I think that this discussion really is interesting and necessary. :)

Fist full of Pills
22-04-2010, 11:49
we still have squats there just called Ratlings! :)

sigur
22-04-2010, 11:53
we still have squats there just called Ratlings! :)

Ratlings are called Ratlings. Squats are called Squats. Ratlings are Halflings. Squats are Dwarfs. I dare you walk into WHFB Background and declare that Halflings are Dwarfs.

machine_recovered_meat
22-04-2010, 11:53

I believe that the much mentioned Rouge Trader is in fact the Avon lady ;)

No idea when she'll get her own codex. Probably after the fishmen.

Ironhand
22-04-2010, 11:55
snip...

To all the nay-sayers I ask this question - don't you want to see another different army opposite you on the table, rather than just another bunch of Marines painted a slightly different colour to the last lot?
...snip

Frankly no. I want to see GW update its current codexes in a reasonably prompt manner, and the last we need is another codex of anything, not just Squats, to gum up the queue more than it already is.

They're making fun of the OP who misspelled "Rogue" as "Rouge".

Panzerkanzler
22-04-2010, 11:59
This.

But...wouldn't you pass out because of the pain BEFORE you dies? I think you will need an assistant to complete the nut crunching.

sigur
22-04-2010, 12:00
I'm sure that there are more than enough people willing to help with that. :)

Sai-Lauren
22-04-2010, 12:14
Frankly no. I want to see GW update its current codexes in a reasonably prompt manner, and the last we need is another codex of anything, not just Squats, to gum up the queue more than it already is.

Maybe if GW stopped releasing Marine codexes whenever the month has a vowel in it (ok, an exaggeration, but it does seem like that sometimes), we'd have worked through the queue and be well beyond into Exodites, Adeptus Mechanicus and everything else. ;)

Captain Semper
22-04-2010, 12:34
I really fail to see where this strong loyalty to Squats is coming from... I mean they are not a part of the background for ages and the minis are there since the 80s. So even people who used to play them must have writen their investment off by now. It's not like their background was so integral in the 40k mythos that are sorely missed in the greater context and the people who created them in the first place (GW that is) don't beleive they're worth maintaining. I mean I can understand some anger coming out of the gaming community during the early to mid 90s but why would anyone care anymore? Maybe because people want the introduction of a new race? If so why limit our imagination to the unsuccessful past and not ask for something competely different? DE, Tau and Necrons were definitely successful additions and completely new races when introduced!

I voted for them to remain within the Tyranid digestive system!

Godzooky
22-04-2010, 12:41
I really fail to see where this strong loyalty to Squats is coming from... I mean they are not a part of the background for ages and the minis are there since the 80s. So even people who used to play them must have writen their investment off by now. It's not like their background was so integral in the 40k mythos that are sorely missed in the greater context and the people who created them in the first place (GW that is) don't beleive they're worth maintaining. I mean I can understand some anger coming out of the gaming community during the early to mid 90s but why would anyone care anymore? Maybe because people want the introduction of a new race? If so why limit our imagination to the unsuccessful past and not ask for something competely different? DE, Tau and Necrons were definitely successful additions and completely new races when introduced!

It's more to do with the fact they were there, then taken away. People tend to romanticise lost things and put them on a pedestal they never deserved.

I did that with my ex. She was a royal pain most of the time, but I still missed her when she went, tending to focus on the good side of things I'd lost with her going.

She didn't look like a Squat, by the way.

Rombo Baak
22-04-2010, 12:41

Hey! Orks were great back then!

Spider-pope
22-04-2010, 12:50
Return of the Squats!

Take some Imodium Plus, that'll get rid of it again and perhaps a change of diet would help.

Hellebore
22-04-2010, 12:53

Technically the squats have been waiting longer than anyone else for an update.;)

Hellebore

piddlinggaley
22-04-2010, 12:59
I do think they should come back as Demiurg, but its true they do seem more popular dead than they did alive.

Panzerkanzler
22-04-2010, 13:07
I do think they should come back as Demiurg, but its true they do seem more popular dead than they did alive.

I smell a cunning plan! Considering how people/stuff always get more popular, for no reason at all, after it/they die in the next edition of 40k GW should declare that space marines are dead, they were all sent off to find the Emperors cyber-grail and died vicious deaths at the hand of the khorne bunny. Then, in a couple of years time, in time for the next edition again, GW could declare that Lands great-great-great-ad infinitum-great grandson found an STC that can make marines! All it needs is a couple of cucumbers and a six pack of red bull. The sales would drive any bean counter crazy and GW could just rake in the profits. I ill actually patent this idea so GW doesn't steal it.

grissom2006
22-04-2010, 13:20

Still got all my Squats and use them pretty much as IG.

Malagate
22-04-2010, 13:20
I believe that the much mentioned Rouge Trader is in fact the Avon lady ;)

No idea when she'll get her own codex. Probably after the fishmen.

Ahem, that's SPACE Fishmen buddy, this is 40K after all. The problem is it keeps on bringing thoughts of the Space Sharks (Sharks! But in SPAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaace...) and what GW would do with it (Shark-face McSharkerson wielding his Shark-tooth power shark-sword and riding his Cyber-Jet-Great White Flying Shark).

Some things must never be done in any circumstance. Dwarves (in space) are not necessarily one of those things, but it would be a fairly rubbish thing if 40K continued with more fantasy parallels. Might be a place for them, but probably not in their own codex.

Col. Tartleton
22-04-2010, 13:30
For the love of God they dropped the Squats and replaced them with Necrons!
They're a less blatant Dwarf archetype in space because it makes for better fluff.

Guess who got dropped it 1998? Guess who got added in 1999? For more information see:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249895&highlight=Necrons+Dwarves

sigur
22-04-2010, 14:09
Squats very probably were dropped before 1998 and Necrons were out before 1998 but I can't bring myself to get the WD issue out now.

Memnos
22-04-2010, 14:17
Technically the squats have been waiting longer than anyone else for an update.;)

Hellebore

Not at all. In 1995, I asked GW when they'd be coming out with the Squats book and found out they had plans to release it in the spring of 1997.

The moment the spring of 1997 rolls around, I'm running out and buying it!

onidemon
22-04-2010, 14:29
My thoughts:

take the word squat.

Reverse it. You get tauqS.

Lose the qS

Tau.

Loads of Str 5 weapons for the Thunderers. Really fancy exo-suits. They get along with alien races, once trading with orks and allying with the Imperium. They're short.

That's what happened to the Squats. They already got a rerelease.

Godzooky
22-04-2010, 14:41
Of course, people could just purchase models from Bob Olly's Scrunt range. Some are really nice little models.

Didn't he do a lot of the original Squats? Seems he still just can't let go.

susu.exp
22-04-2010, 14:52
I voted other.
I don´t want GW to do the Squats, mainly because of the work we´ve put into the Varyngr over the years. They are cooler than anything GW could do right now and the sheer amount of background detail is more than would ever fit into a Codex. I´m playing them somewhat regularly and anybody who wants a Squat army (or still has one around), should head over to the Rules Dev section, download the Hellebore Codex, note the changes and have a few games (and give feedback).

Spider-pope
22-04-2010, 15:00
Squats very probably were dropped before 1998 and Necrons were out before 1998 but I can't bring myself to get the WD issue out now.

White Dwarf 216 iirc, came with a free metal Necron.The full army list was WD217, which would place them November and December 1997 respectively. Squats were dropped as a serious project within the studio around the launch of 2nd Edition in 1993, so there is quite a gap between the dropping of Squats and the arrival of the Necrons.

Flying Toaster
22-04-2010, 15:20
My thoughts:

take the word squat.

Reverse it. You get tauqS.

Lose the qS

Tau.

Loads of Str 5 weapons for the Thunderers. Really fancy exo-suits. They get along with alien races, once trading with orks and allying with the Imperium. They're short.

That's what happened to the Squats. They already got a rerelease.

OH DEAR GOD... its all so clear to me now!

susu.exp
22-04-2010, 15:20
Given that they released Squat models in 94 (Cyclops) and the last army list for Squats in 97 (Citadel Journal 20), you are off by at least 4 years.

Whitehorn
22-04-2010, 15:36
Perhaps we'll see them in Warhammer 30,000, before the Tyranids arrived.

Poseidal
22-04-2010, 15:37
I still prefer Squats to any of the 3rd edition races. I also find their fluff and models frankly less embarrasing than some concepts that have been introduced since 3rd.

Olja
22-04-2010, 15:51
I am suprised that some people really hate them that much, especially that poor guy who would commit suicide via testicle damage. 40K still has Orcs, Elves, Demons, Ogres, and Haflings and no one is too upset at that. Yet they hate Dwarves.

The old Squat models are *****. But, as a another poster wrote, most RT era models were ugly. Since a Squat hasn't been cast in over fifteen years I'm sure they would look a lot better. I am a little sad that not even Forge World has sculpted a few. At least give them another chance.

sigur
22-04-2010, 16:20
Perhaps we'll see them in Warhammer 30,000, before the Tyranids arrived.

I really hope we never see "warhammer 30,000".

owen matthew
22-04-2010, 17:05

This FTW, IMHO.

Whitehorn
23-04-2010, 14:20
I really hope we never see "warhammer 30,000".

Too late Mr. Grumpy!

jesusjohn
23-04-2010, 16:48
New industrial robot (not necron) based army please, with Demiurge as HQ/Elites in control.

Nezalhualixtlan
23-04-2010, 17:27
Demiurg could be cool, but so could AdMech. I have nothing in particular against them, other than wanting to make sure that enough development goes into them and is able to continue to develop the already established armies. Wouldn't mind seeing what could be come up with for them.

Lord Asgul
23-04-2010, 18:45
Technically speaking the Squats are still around...just in a different form. They are part of a hive fleet now. Just look out for the hive ship with a giant beard on it then you know where the remains of the squats are...

Overlord Krycis
23-04-2010, 21:09
I voted to bring them back as a whole new race, but ONLY if it was Demiurg...and ONLY if codices in desperate need of an update have already been done.

As for Squats...they need to stay dead. The whole "drunken-biker-dwarf-miner-in-space" worked well with the older tongue-in-cheek, but not so well with the current grim darkness of the far future's dark grimness universe of 40k.

viking657
24-04-2010, 22:21
It would be nice to know what they are up to now in the world of 40k? Yes I think I'd like to request their friendship on facebook, nosey around their profile and then delete them.

CushionRide
25-04-2010, 01:07
it wouldnt be to hard to update squats from the second ed books. i did back in 3rd, lol for models, buy dwarves, give'm shootas for look. as for concept. lol the do lack. i think allied imp guard would be the best way to introduce them back though. they more or less are ratling snipers. i dont know much about demiurg but if it has a good plot to it, maybe that would be cool

???

Darth Bobo
25-04-2010, 07:08
Consider this:

Tyranids assimilate and "use" gene material to improve their own race, they ate the Squats and the fact that there are no tyranid "species" which displays any of the Squats characteristics goes a long way to say how useless they were... :shifty:

Poseidal
25-04-2010, 08:46
Consider this:

Tyranids assimilate and "use" gene material to improve their own race, they ate the Squats and the fact that there are no tyranid "species" which displays any of the Squats characteristics goes a long way to say how useless they were... :shifty:
Actually, Squat DNA would be VERY useful to Tyranids.

In RT, it mentions that the regular Tyranids are a spaceborne race, and are actually more adapted for that environment in a hive ships.

Squats on the otherhand are naturally adapted for high gravity worlds and survival in them.

So actually, ALL Tyranids use Squat DNA as if they didn't, they would just fall apart when they hit the planet and be too weak to stand up.

So there.

magicmonkey
25-04-2010, 08:56
they don't deserve to be an army
plus they cant what with the new height restriction for codexices
or they could be released after dark eldar
(so never then):p

freebooter
25-04-2010, 09:18
This.

Please film this?

The Squats were a great race... Just a shame they didn't seperate them a bit more from their fantasy incarnation.
I think GW shouldn't waste time on the Dark Eldar being redone, just put all those time and funds into a new Squat codex.

revford
25-04-2010, 16:39
Demiurg as henchmen for an Inquisitor or as members of the Tau Empire would be nice.

Hakar
25-04-2010, 18:30
The more non-imperial armies the better.