PDA

View Full Version : Well I'll be damned

wanderingblade
25-05-2005, 06:27
Ok, I lifted this from another forum. They in turn took it from The Times apparently, but damned if I can find the article to link to so I'm posting here:

THE British are one of the most inspirational peoples in the world, whose warmth and friendliness appear to be without bounds and whose cities are among the most vibrant.

The people are “uninhibited, tolerant, exhibitionist, passionate, aggressive, sentimental, hospitable and friendly. It hits you like a breath of fresh air”, says the new edition of the Lonely Planet, the self-styled backpacker’s bible.

It has concluded that Britain is one of the most wondrous places on the planet, with buzzing cities, breathtaking scenery and extraordinary culture. And they must be right, because only three of the nine authors are British. Published today, the sixth Lonely Planet guide to Britain — which inserts the word “Great” in the title for the very first time — says that the old North-South divide has become a thing of the past.

Manchester is one of this country’s “most exciting and interesting cities”, and Newcastle upon Tyne has displayed “miraculous powers of urban regeneration”, while Leeds is described as the “Knightsbridge of the North”.

The change is so dramatic that even Liverpool, it says, has thrown off its reputation as a city “full of smart-**** scallies who would as soon nick your car as tell you a joke”.

Blackpool boasts amusements “to thrill even the most jaded”, while today, Glasgow is now “almost a byword for style and chic”.

Gone are the days when a trip to continental Europe was required to experience high-quality culture and arts.

Referring to cities that are “buzzing”, full of “historical wealth” and “a treat” to dine out in, 21st-century Britain has a capital which is a “cradle of multiculturalism” and cities in the provinces where there is “a palpable sense of excitement”.

Nottingham, it says, “draws movers and shakers from all over the region” and Norwich is described as “attractive and energetic”. Even the Lincolnshire resort of Skegness is painted in a flattering light, where it is possible to see “thousands of pasty optimists doing brave impressions of sunbathing — regardless of the weather”.

David Else, the guidebook’s co-ordinating author, believes that the great North-South divide is now “a myth”.

“When it comes to great destinations, Great Britain is now comparable with fine countries such as Italy, which boasts an array of unmissable cities like Rome, Venice, Florence, Turin and Milan,” Mr Else said.

Dismissing claims that the guidebook had gone soft, Mr Else said: “We were very clear about the fact that Britain has changed for the better — and particularly the cities outside of London.

“But from our perspective we have changed our reviewing slightly, in that while we are still very honest and opinionated, we now waste less time and space with negatives

“If a place is bad, we simply leave it out. We’re not putting a spin on anything, just trying to guide our readers to what is best.”
Although the guidebook has bent over backwards to limit the number of places that are portrayed negatively, such a courtesy has not been extended to Madame Tussauds, the waxworks museum in London, which is dismissed as “toweringly tedious”.

As for Gloucester, “whose glory days are long gone”, and Ipswich, they now “barely register on the list of England’s most important towns”.

Perhaps the harshest treatment of all is singled out for John O’Groats, on the tip of Scotland, which is described as a “seedy tourist trap”.

The guidebook, which also disputes that resort’s claim to be the most northerly point in Britain, says: “If John were a person, he’d be a second-hand car salesman or a gerrymandering politician.

“How else to explain the seedy tourist trap that has grown around the lie that it is the most northerly place in Britain? It’s not — that title goes to Dunnet Head, further west.”

RECOGNISE ANY OF THESE PLACES?

A “If you thought Brummies sounded funny, wait till you get here”

B “A rugged cultural identity and up-to-the-moment music scene”

C “Fondly-tagged ‘London-by-the-sea’, the South Coast’s outrageously hip and vibrant resort”

(Answers: A, Wolverhampton: B, Liverpool; C, Brighton)

Yup, apparently Britain is hip, cool, we're... uhm. Exactly.

So my question to you is - does anyone recognise Britain in there? Anyone? Anything? The description of John O'Groats and Wolverhampton was fairly spot on, but elsewise I'm wondering where in the name of the dark lord's hairy **** they were...

Eldacar
25-05-2005, 07:05

And they must be right, because only three of the nine authors are British.
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there? :rolleyes:

“But from our perspective we have changed our reviewing slightly, in that while we are still very honest and opinionated, we now waste less time and space with negatives

“If a place is bad, we simply leave it out. We’re not putting a spin on anything, just trying to guide our readers to what is best.”
Right. So deliberately leaving out all the places that you don't want people to be aware of isn't biased. :eyebrows:

Fusion
25-05-2005, 08:58
Geeze, from what you guys talk about here on P, you'd think that Great Britain was just one big chavnation.

My mum is from Yorkshire, but she's been over here in Oz for the better part of 25 years now. The last time we went over was 2001 to be honest, it was very dirty. That might've just been Bradford though...

I'm coming back to visit in December though, muahahaha!

wanderingblade
25-05-2005, 09:04
Geeze, from what you guys talk about here on P, you'd think that Great Britain was just one big chavnation.

My mum is from Yorkshire, but she's been over here in Oz for the better part of 25 years now. The last time we went over was 2001 to be honest, it was very dirty. That might've just been Bradford though...

I'm coming back to visit in December though, muahahaha!

It does feel increasingly like at times. Ok, its not entirely a chav nation, but the idea lots of people are queueing up to visit here and that our natural characteristics are such - well, maybe I've been going to the wrong part of our fair land.

But unihibited? I suppose if you mean we enjoy getting really drunk. And they've got aggressive right. Inspirational, warm and friendly? I believe we could well be stretching the limits. Or maybe I'm being too harsh.

Bubble Ghost
25-05-2005, 09:20
I stopped reading at "warmth and friendliness". Is there another Britain somewhere I don't know about?

wanderingblade
25-05-2005, 09:28
I stopped reading at "warmth and friendliness". Is there another Britain somewhere I don't know about?

Maybe the government secretly reinstituted witch burnings? Thats certainly warm. Not very friendly maybe, but then theres a significant divergance between backpackers and lonely old cat ladies. I wonder if this guide has a website, I'm quite curious to ask them some questions.

Wraith
25-05-2005, 09:50
We’re not putting a spin on anything...

...rugged cultural identity... Wolverhampton...

“When it comes to great destinations, Great Britain is now comparable with fine countries such as Italy, which boasts an array of unmissable cities like Rome, Venice, Florence, Turin and Milan.”

Uh huh... :eyebrows:

tzeentchgiant
25-05-2005, 11:27
That's certainly the view of Britain that is supposed to be being put across to the world. I however think that that is very bias, we may be cool, but that's really only in comparison to every where else.

TG

Drabant
25-05-2005, 11:42
Most countries are pretty nice if you ignore the people living there. Isn't it the same for Britain?

McMullet
25-05-2005, 12:00
Are you sure that isn't just cut from Tom Baker's commentary in "Little Britain"?

"There's a saying in Britain: Britain is top banana - Yeah!"

Maybe it's a different Britain. Are there any other ones out there?

Yorkiebar
25-05-2005, 12:04
The short bit on Nottingham is true - Nottingham Uni is starting to become one of the top in the country, and all the students this attracts means the night life is improving steadily.

However, saying "When it comes to great destinations, Great Britain is now comparable with fine countries such as Italy, which boasts an array of unmissable cities like Rome, Venice, Florence, Turin and Milan," is just ridiculous.

We may be 'quaint' to Americans but we're still a long long way from being a perfect tourist destination.

Eldacar
25-05-2005, 12:13
I'm Australian born and bred. :cool:

I'm not sure. I'll check a map, though. There very well might be.

What I don't get is how someone can give such a biased account of a country. Not even the French are that bad... :rolleyes: :p

wanderingblade
25-05-2005, 12:15
The short bit on Nottingham is true - Nottingham Uni is starting to become one of the top in the country, and all the students this attracts means the night life is improving steadily.

So's Leeds, but this doesn't change two facts:

1) Its ugly as sin.

2) If you're rich enough to be able to go on holiday, likelihood is you live in a place with fairly good nightlife and if you want to improve, you go all the way - not Leeds or Nottingham. That said, I know Leeds has at least one good museum so...

Cheesejoff
25-05-2005, 12:21
"Glasgow is now “almost a byword for style and chic" "

So the style would be "Kappa trackies and burberry caps" while chic is "buckie, slums, and dope-dealing"

Yorkiebar
25-05-2005, 15:39

You know why we say that? Because it is. It really, really is.

Piku
25-05-2005, 17:01
I'd be inclined to agree with the description of Brighton if it wasn't such an overused hackneyed old cliche. Thats just lazy writing.
I'd say that was more indicative of house prices than cultural feel.
Major difference between Brighton and london is that Brighton has less of an undertone of suspicion (the capital has it's fair share of political violence) and looks better in summer.
Also now and again, wooly jumpered politicians visit.

Tenoch
25-05-2005, 17:47
Nottingham has the most clubs bars pubs etc per square mile than anywhere in the rest of Britain. at least so I have heard.

I agree with the Brighton parts, but I'd extend it to be "Brighton is the nice part of London but by the sea".

Necrontyr
25-05-2005, 18:32

Well there is always New England....

C. Langana
25-05-2005, 20:17
I scanned that document word for word, even zoomed right in, I cannot find 'sponsored by the British tourist board' or 'Paid for by HM Governement' anywhere. I know they are there somewhere though...

de Selby
26-05-2005, 12:55
I may be wrong here, but isn't Lonely Planet the tourist guide company that found nice things to say about Burma (whose new tourist industry is built on slaves, more or less). I think their primary concern is selling shiny books, no?

edit: Yup, link (http://www.burmatoday.net/mizzima2003/mizzima/2003/11/031114_lonely%20planet_mizzima.htm)

neXus6
26-05-2005, 13:07
Great so Glasgow is the only positive place in Scotland... :rolleyes:
What utter bull, Edinburgh is way better. (or at the VERY least worth a mention what with being the Capital and all).

But then I might just be bias. :p

Riddy
26-05-2005, 13:28
Great so Glasgow is the only positive place in Scotland... :rolleyes:
What utter bull, Edinburgh is way better. (or at the VERY least worth a mention what with being the Capital and all).

But then I might just be bias. :p

Yea, i agree, simply mentioning only one place in Scotland is pretty much glossing it over. Edinburgh was much nicer than Glasgow last time i was there and they could atleast make a mention of Robert Burns' birthplace, Ayr is a beautiful town...although again, i may be bias.

grey_painter
26-05-2005, 15:00
Yea, i agree, simply mentioning only one place in Scotland is pretty much glossing it over.

Is John O’Groats not in Scotland anymore? :p But Scotland does have quite a few very nice cities that are equal or better than the ones mentioned for England.

pullsyjr
26-05-2005, 17:45
You may want to remember that the quote at the top was from BBC - they were probably just reporting what the English people wanted to see.

Nottingham is good, simply because of the university. Chicks, man! They're everywhere and they're nice...

The town itself is a dive - there's very little historical stuff here. When I go to see a castle, I want to see battlements and all that sort of cool stuff. Not here. Go elsewhere for that.

Kiro
28-05-2005, 01:09
What!?!? :wtf:
Sorry but this isn't the England I know, and have been living in....

Leviathan
28-05-2005, 13:26
Hello,

This document could be used as proof that extra dimensions do actually exist.

'Cause lets face, there is no way the Britain that thing is describing can be in this reality. :p

TheSonOfAbbadon
28-05-2005, 14:14

Um... it is.

Especialy Olney, home of the pancake race and birth place of the chav.

Cheesejoff
28-05-2005, 14:42
Aberdeen is probably the nicest city in britain...

Oh, and burns was bron in Alloway, not Ayr :p

salty
28-05-2005, 15:59
Hmm. I look out of my window at South Yorkshire, and some Chav with a shaven head glares back at me.

Britain is NOT a nice place. It may be the best country on the face of the world but its also a dump. And anyone who DARES to say that London is a nice place deserves beating repeatedly with a cricket bat, until their eyes fall out and get eaten by pidgeons (or have they been driven off now?). London stinks of smog, is crowded, and, frankly, was probably better when they still slung bucket of mess from upstairs windows into the streets below.

Unless, of course, they mean the island of NEW Britain, near Australia?

Salty :)

The pestilent 1
28-05-2005, 16:15
And anyone who DARES to say that London is a nice place deserves beating repeatedly with a cricket bat, until their eyes fall out and get eaten by pidgeons (or have they been driven off now?). London stinks of smog, is crowded, and, frankly, was probably better when they still slung bucket of mess from upstairs windows into the streets below.
)

but then, i suppose thats what you get in the worlds largest city?

only redeeming factor are the museums, but i go there so rarely because they are oftne full of complete muppets anyways.

wanderingblade
28-05-2005, 16:59
And anyone who DARES to say that London is a nice place deserves beating repeatedly with a cricket bat, until their eyes fall out and get eaten by pidgeons (or have they been driven off now?). London stinks of smog, is crowded, and, frankly, was probably better when they still slung bucket of mess from upstairs windows into the streets below.

London is a fairly cool place. End of.

Yeah, its crowded - well, no **** really. Its a really big city, of course it is. I've never noticed the smell, but then I wouldn't. Yes, its hideously overpriced in places, has some ugly architecture and of course, theres the infamous London attitude.

On the other hand, its possessed of a hell of a lot to do - musuems, venues, shops, resturants, whatever. If you want to be in a quiet unspoilt place full of wonderful polite intelligent people, then its fairly obvious. Don't go to London. If however you want to do things and have some form of tolerance for the stupidities of this world, then if you can't find London a fairly good and yes, nice, place - then you are horribly in the wrong.

The pestilent 1
28-05-2005, 17:15
:eyebrows:
central london is a horrible place, foul, smog choked and full of ******.
why would i want to cope with all that except on the ocassional visit to my sister and the museums.

colour me blind if i like to live a relatively quiet life away from the smog-choked hell of an inner city.

lredman
28-05-2005, 20:04

Er...are you sure about that? It definately wasn't nice when I lived there.

I suppose that was a few years ago though. And I can definately think of worse places (ie: Fraserburgh)

tzeentchgiant
28-05-2005, 20:42
High end London is cool, just like the low ends are very very unfortunate places to be in.

It's the same for all cities, it appears that this report just comments on the possitive side of everywhere, and the cultures that Britain and Britons have adopted.

Overall it could be a lot worse, couldn't it?

TG

wanderingblade
29-05-2005, 09:51
:eyebrows:
central london is a horrible place, foul, smog choked and full of ******.
why would i want to cope with all that except on the ocassional visit to my sister and the museums.

colour me blind if i like to live a relatively quiet life away from the smog-choked hell of an inner city.

The discussion has arisen from an article about visiting somewhere, not living there. The fact that you willingly visit there for reasons other than kin backs up my assertation that it is worthwhile visiting. I freely admit London is no holiday for the nose, but that was extremely obvious to begin with.

Everyone knows London's weaknesses in this regard - which means if you find such things so odious that they destroy your enjoyment of anything else of the myriad things to do there, why on earth do you bother going? London mightn't be everyone's taste, but most people should be able to enjoy themselves - and that, under any objective judgement, has to place London as a good place.

Flame Boy
29-05-2005, 22:52
At least London has public transport. My Village has a calender instead of a bus timetable. :P

Wiseman
30-05-2005, 06:40
:wtf::wtf: :wtf: this guy is stupid

neXus6
30-05-2005, 06:59
@ Cheesejoff and lredman

Well Aberdeen certainly looks nice in the summer, but it's got nothing comparatable to Edinburgh Castle/The Gardens...Aberdeens okay but it's not got anything that stands out.

Riddy
30-05-2005, 13:14

Oh, and burns was bron in Alloway, not Ayr :p

Em...incase you didn't know alloway is in South Ayrshire, situated 10 mins from the town is Burns Cottage, a bit further along the road and you will come to the Tam O' Shanter experience, Ayr Rugby Club and the Brig O' Doon hotel, also note 10 mins walk away is Doonfoot, where i grew up. So dont try to lecture me on my home :p :p

nevermore
30-05-2005, 13:19
since when has Liverpool had a music scene??

I live in the damm city and all there is is dance clubs, oh sorry, one metal club populated by 16 year old ******** who think linkin park are metal!!

If you want to see a beautifull city go to durham. :angel: