PDA

View Full Version : Do the LotR expansion books contain scenarios from the movies and books?

bluekitsune13
22-04-2010, 16:41
Not a lot of my friends are into LotR, and I'm just getting into it myself. I'm most interested in playing scenarios instead of regular pitched battles. I looked online at some of the scenarios that GW has, which were taken from the books and movies. They tell you exactly what units each force has, and give an objective.

I have the regular LotR rulebook, but it doesn't really list any scenarios. I see there are half a dozen other books on the GW site that are book specific (the Two Towers) or force specific (Mordor). Do those books have scenarios in them too?

captain krak
22-04-2010, 17:01
Yes, both the journey books (Fellowship, Two Towers, Return of the King), and the sourcebooks (Mordor, Ruins of Arnor, etc.) contain a lot of scenarios. The Journey books are pretty much linked campaigns of scenarios, but also with articles on terrain building, painting, and info on the forces involved. All great books imho.

Whitwort Stormbringer
22-04-2010, 17:18
The "Journey Books", i.e. The Fellowship, Two Towers, and Return of the King, all have movie- or book-specific scenarios. Other books do have scenarios that are similar in composition (i.e. they tell you the participants and objectives, rather than a "pitched battle" type of scenario), but these are not always straight from the books. Many of them are based on background stories in Tolkien's Middle Earth, though.

Most of these scenarios will also have guidelines for using forces other than those outlined, if you wanted to try them out with different characters but still play the same general battle and objectives.

I don't have Gondor in Flames, Khazad Dum, Mordor, or Harad, so I can't say for sure what's included in there, but here's a quick rundown of what some of the other sourcebooks include.

I'm not counting the Journeybooks, you can pretty much guess what's in them. They did, however, introduce some characters from the books that weren't in the movies (for instance, in the Fellowship journeybook there are rules for Gildor).

Fall of the Necromancer:
- Battles between the White Council and Sauron's forces in Mirkwood (mostly wraiths, trolls, and spiders).
Shadow in the East:
- Early Rohan history, with battles between Eorl the Young's people and the Variags/Easterlings that were invading Gondor. Also some pre-War of the Ring stuff in Ithilien involving rangers and a made-up captain named Cirion.
Ruin of Arnor:
- Fall of Arnor, with Arvedui, Glorfindel, The Witch King, etc. etc. GW decided to mix it up a bit and threw in Gulavhar (a vampire).
- Also Dunedain ranger stuff, including Arathorn and a scenario involving his death.
Scouring of the Shire:
- pretty much what the title implies. None of the profiles are new, since this one came out before the One Rulebook, but there are scenarios of all kinds involving the hobbits, including the scouring of the shire by Sharkey & Co., Golfimbul's invasion, warg attacks, and Fatty Bolger's exploits just prior to Frodo's departure.
Shadow & Flame:
- If you can get your hands on this one, then it's got a number of scenarios that aren't really themed, it's more just a hodge-podge of new content. I believe this was the first "sourcebook" released for LotR, maybe before even the RotK boxed set came out (if not, then just after), so you'll have all the profiles already in your One Rulebook. This is the book that introduced Tom Bombadil & Goldberry, Murin & Drar, Elladan & Elrohir, and Glorfindel, so there are scenarios centered around those characters. I can't remember if/what the evil armies got in this book, though, and it's also been out of print for quite a while now.

Zenithfleet
29-04-2010, 15:10
Just to add--the first two journeybooks (Fellowship and Two Towers) give exact model requirements (e.g. '8 Orcs with bows, 8 Orcs with shields'... etc) with a few notes on fighting with other forces. Return of the King does it the other way around--it gives you the amount of points on each side and then says things like 'we suggest including Mordor Orcs' etc.

The RotK journeybook also seems to follow the book much more closely than the first two (e.g. it's got the real proper Pelennor battle with Prince Imrahil and all the fiefs from down south).