PDA

View Full Version : Raven Guard as Blood Angels

jesusjohn
22-04-2010, 19:25
Now i have to preface with a quick word, i am not bandwagoning. I am loyal to my first edition crimson fists and us fists are stuburn!

Looking through the BA Codex i noticed that jump troops as troops choices seems to me a good basis for a Raven Guard army. Fast Rhinos also seem to be good for this, Sang Guard could be used as first company and Death Company could be some of those monsters that Corax knocked out of his lab. Storm Ravens seem to be made for them too.

Obviously alot of sense would have to be had with this, i.e. no Sang priests and Baal Preds seem to me being out.

Anyway let the discussions begin.

Ba'al Starslayer
22-04-2010, 19:33
I thought about this too! Shame there is no better representative of Kayvaan Shrike than Shrike himself :(
Corax's Abominations used as DC is a new one on me... Sounds cool and fluffy though! :)

Project2501
22-04-2010, 19:34
The only drawback you're legitimately going to get is that shrike is stuck in C:SM thanks to the beginning of GW's recent push towards SC centric mania.

Green-is-best
22-04-2010, 19:34
What about Red Thirst? Furious charge and fearless aren't very covert ops like.

Gimp
22-04-2010, 19:41
What about Red Thirst? Furious charge and fearless aren't very covert ops like.

Then again I cant imagine Terminators being able to fleet and infiltrate.

Also remember there are more heroes in the Raven Guard than just Shrike. Dante could make a great Captain or even Chapter Master with his Hit and Run.

But yeah.

Fast tanks
Assualt Marines as Troops
Sanguinary Guard with their Hit and Run
Dante with his Hit and Run

All the makings of a Raven Guard Army better in fact that the SM codex if you ask me

Dr.Clock
22-04-2010, 19:45
I would have no problem with this.

Assault Squads as troops alone makes this a great fit.

Hints:

Sanguinary Priests aren't even that far off: struggling with their geneseed following Corax's foolishness could lead to increased focus on chaplains.

Scouts: make sure you take some scouts for the 'covert' feel.

Don't take any Special Characters.

I don't like Death Company: the abominations were likely (rightly) destroyed.

Storm Ravens WILL make this seem like bandwagon jumping.

Steer clear of too many dreads or armour in general.

Take mostly units that are also found in C:SM.

And how is Fleet more 'covert-ops' than the possibility of fearless and Furious Charge??

If Raven Guard are about mobility and carefully considered shock attacks/hit and run (and I think they are) then Furious Charge and Descent of Angels shows the Raven Guard to be good at both those things: they are great at coming down precisely where needed and Hit really hard because they know that they need to make the most of their attack before they fade away to find new targets.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

jesusjohn
22-04-2010, 19:56
I forgot about the curse.. hmmm. Still not keen on sang guard. Don't forget you don't need to take Shrike!

I don't think the Storm Raven is all that, i like it as very fluffy bit of kit, but not a game winner.

Ba'al Starslayer
22-04-2010, 19:58
Fleet has both the idea of sneaking around into better positions, and it favours an assault based army. The first thing that springs to mind when someone says "Furious Charge" is "Khorne Berzerkers" lol :p
Yeah the Abominations were rounded up and destroyed, but you could use a fluffy army that was pre-Isstvan V....

EDIT: Sanguinary Guard would make an amazing Shrikes Wing if you ask me.... though alas and alack, Shrike is stuck in the stupid Ultramarine Codex :/

Green-is-best
22-04-2010, 20:01
How is fleet more covert ops style than furious charge? Really? How about dashing from cover to cover to get the drop on your enemy?

I agree that the rest of the codex is a good fit for some aspects of the Raven Guard, particularly the fast vehicles and hit and run rules, but Red Thirst is just gonna be out of left field thematically. That shouldn't necessarily stop anybody from fielding a RG force using the Blood Angel Codex, but trying to justify that rule as some how applicable is kind of silly.

jesusjohn
22-04-2010, 20:02
Actualy 'Furious Charge' could represent that moment when a swat team lays in wait and then hits full on to overwhelm and 'shock and awe' the enemy. This kind of fits with Raven Guard, manuvering into positiion until they strike as hard as possible to overwhelm the enemy before jumping back into the shadows to stalk their next target.

rabblerouser
22-04-2010, 20:08
Doesn't sound so great. I would probably just play with the regular codex, include shrike, and maybe ask your opponent if you can take assault squads as troops.

Green-is-best
22-04-2010, 20:13
Actualy 'Furious Charge' could represent that moment when a swat team lays in wait and then hits full on to overwhelm and 'shock and awe' the enemy. This kind of fits with Raven Guard, manuvering into positiion until they strike as hard as possible to overwhelm the enemy before jumping back into the shadows to stalk their next target.

That's already represented by the additional attack from charging.

Think about the units that have furious charge. Khornate Bersekers, Blood Angels given over to the Red Thirst, Death Company, Khornate Daemons. It's supposed to represent crazed bloodlust, not hit 'em hard hit 'em fast gusto. Plus, it's random in a Blood Angels army so you really can't say it's a tactical decision.

Anyway, it's your army. If doing the mental gymnastics to make Red Thirst fit into a Raven Guard army makes you feel better about fielding a proxy army, go for it. But it probably isn't worth the time and it probably won't make a lot of sense.

jesusjohn
22-04-2010, 20:19
@Rabblerouser yep i agree with asking an oppenents permission, i'm lucky my regular opponets are very cool, hell they let me combat squad a tac squad out of a Rhino becasue it makes sense!

Dr.Clock
22-04-2010, 21:37
How about rather asking your opponent whether they mind you dropping Red Thirst for Combat Tactics??

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Alessander
22-04-2010, 23:15
The BA rules suit the RG well. "Descent of Angels" works with drop pods, which is one of the RG's strong suits.

Being able to use a lot of Assault Squads is another RG trait. Just make sure to have scout squads too.

Chem-Dog
23-04-2010, 02:20
Death Company could be some of those monsters that Corax knocked out of his lab.

Corax destroyed each of the Weregeld personally soon after they were made.

GrogDaTyrant
23-04-2010, 05:01
So... what's wrong with just waiting for IA8 before you modify your lists to BA, and running that instead? Provided of course you're not a tourney buff.