PDA

View Full Version : lumpin crooks fighting cocks

VonUber
22-04-2010, 20:23
There pretty cool models. After seeing those I'm thinking of using halfling models to do a high elf army (use there rules). Would only do 1k of them
Any thoughts for cool conversion ideas?
I am allready using the hotpot as a bolt thrower :D

Condottiere
22-04-2010, 20:33
You'll need something to get M5.

innerwolf
22-04-2010, 21:02
And all the other stats...

theunwantedbeing
22-04-2010, 21:09
Nope, stupid terrible idea.
ASF ruins it.

Just use a dogs of war army with as many halflings as you can fit instead.

Or use the Daemon rules rather than the High elf ones, it makes more sense like that.
Or bretonnians and mount them on cavalry bases.
A halfling is the equal of a barded knight surely.

:rolleyes:

decker_cky
22-04-2010, 21:14
Just use a dogs of war army with as many halflings as you can fit instead.

This.

Hot pot is better than a bolt thrower anyways. :P

stompy
22-04-2010, 21:16
Alternatively, have you considered an empire army? Bowmen stats aren't awful for halfings (not ideal, but not ridiculous), and hot pot throwers could be represented by mortars.

Tarliyn
22-04-2010, 21:22
Wow no support so far.

I am betting he choose High Elfs for one or both of these reasons:

A) He likes the High Elf rules
B) It is a small elite army so he doesn't have to spend an arm and a leg on models and conversions

I say go for it. An elite m5, ws4+, asf army may not be the best fit for a halfling army but ultimaltly it is your time, money, and army so do what will make you happy and if that is m5, ws4+, always striking first halflings, well then by all my means you make those super speedy halflings of doom.

Jeez guys show some support. :shifty:

decker_cky
22-04-2010, 21:29
Halflings have perfect rules already...in the dogs of war. About the only things that fit in High elves are BS4 and T3 heroes.

Condottiere
22-04-2010, 21:29
You can show six soup plates for multiple shot.

But TBH, Halflings are meant to be satirized.

it's coming this way!
22-04-2010, 21:37
I have to agree that high elves are among the worse matches for halflings out there.. the high elf stats just don't reflect how remarkably average (at best) a halfling is at fighting. I would recommend going for an Empire list-- afterall, the state army of Averland does use halflings

Try some blocks of swordsmen with detachments of archers, you could also use some free company, sort of like the LOTR hobbit militias.. You could field the hot pot as a mortar (which better suits it than a bolt thrower), and perhaps have some halfling pistoliers that ride large dogs or.. sheep or something :p. Character-wise, at 1000 points, you might want a Captain of the Empire to lead the force... who could either be a halfling himself, or an officer from Averland (to make sure the halflings actually DO something, as opposed to laying around and eating and such). Also, a halfling chef could make a cool level one or two wizard with the lore of the heavens

That wouldn't be a bad 1000 point list, and would fit halflings a lot better than the very skilled high elves.

-It's

VonUber
22-04-2010, 21:40
The reasons im choosing high elves are, they have archers (halflings best), halflings have scouts (high elves have them), halflings have warmachine (hotpots sort of count), and its elite if im paying £30 a unit and doing some conversion work im not gonna spend that much. Its only going to be 1000pts.

E-Dog
22-04-2010, 21:41
I have to agree that high elves are among the worse matches for halflings out there.. the high elf stats just don't reflect how remarkably average (at best) a halfling is at fighting. I would recommend going for an Empire list-- afterall, the state army of Averland does use halflings

Try some blocks of swordsmen with detachments of archers, you could also use some free company, sort of like the LOTR hobbit militias.. You could field the hot pot as a mortar (which better suits it than a bolt thrower), and perhaps have some halfling pistoliers that ride large dogs

Great idea! Much better......

To everyone else that replied thats how its done!

Cpt. Drill
22-04-2010, 22:19
Do it, if you like they idea whats to stop you?

As long as all of your units can be clearly identified as what they are supposed to represent with no problems at all I think it would be fine. Dont listen to anyone else if its what you want to do...

If you are not set on just GW models then check out this blog, I have pawed over it in the past.

http://doc.frothersunite.com/minis/halflings.html

Look at Black Hat miniatures, these guys look alot like the warhammer chubby halflings and im sure you could fool the odd gw officials claiming them as some old 80's halflings.
http://www.blackhat.co.uk/online_shop/index.php?cPath=121_123_166&osCsid=8bbc99358c1177cc61061fd35ac3b494

Also check out Mirlton games as they do a host of halflings for super cheap. They look a little more like the 'Half men' style of LotR hobbits.
http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-half-men

Good luck with the army.

brendel
22-04-2010, 23:02
I was thinking of doing the same, with empire rules (Halfling's on wolfs with pistols).

If you want to use high elf rules go for it but I would tend to lean toward's wood elves, as you get move through woods special rule, I would also drop there weapon skill to 2 just for the sprit of armylist, there is nothing stopping you hitting them on a 5+ or 4+.

Whatever you choose, Good luck and have fun with your list.

someone2040
23-04-2010, 00:34
Yeah, sorry, I don't buy it. Elves just don't suit ruleswise, the only common link is they have BS 4.
The very first thing that comes to mind is Empire for Halflings. As others have mentioned, flings make good Marksmen and Hotpots make good Mortars.

outbreak
23-04-2010, 02:49
If you picked high elfs to keep the cost down. Put them on 40mm bases and go ogre kingdoms. You'll only need like 20 models!

nobsb
23-04-2010, 03:27
If you picked high elfs to keep the cost down. Put them on 40mm bases and go ogre kingdoms. You'll only need like 20 models!

Halflings with the bull-charge impact hits lol!!!!

I like the idea of High Elf army book Halfling models. I get it, you can even use the great eagles and perch a halfling on one of those.

Not to take away from the High Elf idea, but what about the Wood Elf army book? Treemen, bowmen, and using halflings as dryads. That's pretty fluffy too.

Devil Tree
23-04-2010, 06:33
That actually sounds like a really good idea. I think using HE stats would be perfect for representing Halflings. Beyond whats already been discussed they would also have:

ASF so they can pick pockets before anyone can react
WS 4 for cutting purse straps
STR 3 to muscle candy away from little children
and
M5 for sprinting away from rightful owners of whatever they “borrowed.”:shifty:

Condottiere
23-04-2010, 07:10
Goblins might have been an option, since they have some weird units and crazy magic (magic being both dangerous and spectacular because the Halfling hedge wizards have absolutely no idea what they are dealing with).

Danforth
23-04-2010, 08:32
I like the idea of ASF halflings, the rule here would represent them being so titchy they can dodge the incoming weapon & rabbit-punch the wielder in the ribs. And steal their stuff.

Go for it, OP!

Oh, and try to snag a copy of the Citadel Journal with the Halfling army list. Cavalry mounted on sheep, rams (for characters) and goats (skirmishers)? Flyers on Giant Swans? It ruled :)

hwd
23-04-2010, 09:19
I already use the hot pot as a mortar in my empire army and have many a time longly viewed ebay auctions for large numbers of halflings to do a small (500) point detetchment to hang about with my empire force...

Condottiere
23-04-2010, 09:24
It's at times like this that the obvious source, LotR, frustratingly makes miniatures that are out of scale with Fantasy.

Mithras69
23-04-2010, 20:12
This great thread might be a usefull reference for alt figures: http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/miniatures-f2/halfling-warband-t2140.htm

LaughinGremlin
24-04-2010, 17:23
Your reasons for using Elves are also represented in the Empire army. Empire has scouts for instance, as well as everything else you mentioned. If you want to keep your force small, put a lot of points into your characters. I know it's a fantasy game, but you don't need to throw all reasonable logic out the window by making dumpy halflings (with SHORT BOWS as good as elves. On the other hand, I don't think that halflings are utilized enough, so if using an elf list is the only way to get you to play with halflings, then go for it. Heck - use the dark elf list for that matter.

Please don't use sheep or dogs if you have mounts -- unless they're large big horn sheep.
Use ponies. Pony-up! pwn your enemy!

Condottiere
24-04-2010, 17:39
Bill goats; bill goat gruffs for Dragon Princes.