PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions re: Ad Mech

firestorm40k
17-02-2006, 07:41
Hello, I'm working on a short-story at the mo, it involves a tech-priest, and I have a couple of questions which I hope someone here might be able to help me with.

1) When a Tech-Priest is praying for the blessing of the Omnissiah whilst working on repairs, what language would he pray in? Machine Code, Latin, English... ?

2) Do you think it is plausible that a Gun-Servitor would have a 'self-destruct' capacity if it ran out of ammo? (If there's vehement disagreement to this, I may have to change big swathes of my story...)

Thank you for looking, and for any responses! :cool:

Yodhrin
17-02-2006, 09:12
1) When a Tech-Priest is praying for the blessing of the Omnissiah whilst working on repairs, what language would he pray in? Machine Code, Latin, English... ?

They are always presented in Low Gothic(ie, English) in books and fiction, and certainly there are several "mundane" prayers to Machine Spirits which are said by the uninitiated(Guardsmen etc) such as the Litany of the Lasgun. I assume the more secret chants and sermons of activation and maintenance on the truely ancient and forbidden tech would be spoken in Machine Code or some other language only known to hight ranking Tech-priests.

2) Do you think it is plausible that a Gun-Servitor would have a 'self-destruct' capacity if it ran out of ammo? (If there's vehement disagreement to this, I may have to change big swathes of my story...)

It would depend on the situation, I think. While a Servitor is merely a vat-grown lump of flesh/a filthy heretic who's mind has been wiped with a few low-grade bionic upgrades, it's still an asset, and can always be refitted to perform another task if it runs out of ammo.

On the other hand, if a force of AdMech were in a situation they thought would make retrieval of damaged/out of supplies Servitors unlikely, and were defending something important enough, some kind of self-destruct would allow them to get more use out of each Servitor before it's demise. For example, a Sevitor might be instructed thus; blast Filthy Xenos with Heavy Bolter, bash Filthy Xenos in the face when out of ammo, if you're going to be swamped/disabled, blow up and take as many as you can with you.

In a normal circumstance thought, I wouldnt think it would be common practice, as Servitors seen on the battlefield are often simply production or maintenance servitors given a quick refit, and fight in large groups so one exploding could potentially do as much damage to it's own side as it would the enemy.

Mojaco
17-02-2006, 09:17
1) When a Tech-Priest is praying for the blessing of the Omnissiah whilst working on repairs, what language would he pray in? Machine Code, Latin, English...
It can be anything that fits your story. Essentially the techpriests as a whole probably never use the same prayers or even language over the whole galaxy. So when they speak latin on mars it's very possible they speak High gothic on Triplex Phall.

Khaine's Messenger
17-02-2006, 16:42

Anything from Old Gothic (see Traitor General for more info) to Low/High Gothic to Lingua Technis (the English/Pacific pidgin or "binary")...whichever you feel is most appropriate, really. I imagine Tech Priests would take pains to speak in Low Gothic, however, in order to keep their "mysteries" in a concise pattern: intelligible but impenetrable, regular but arcane. In the presence of "commoners," speaking in a variant of Low Gothic would give more comfort, although spouting a bunch of barely understandable words would probably give them just as much assurance that their machine's spiritual needs have been properly catered to.

2) Do you think it is plausible that a Gun-Servitor would have a 'self-destruct' capacity if it ran out of ammo?

Er...one could install such measures (some Tech Priests have installed them into themselves), but I'm not sure why you'd want to. It's well within the Imperium's tech base to do stuff like that. I doubt it would be very common, however, and in desperate situations it's more likely to be jury-rigged than a design feature.

Icarus
17-02-2006, 16:49
I doubt all gun servitors would be fitted with a self-destruct, but I see no reason why some might be, especially if they were custom-built to an Inquisitor's specifications.

firestorm40k
17-02-2006, 21:45
Thank you Yodhrin, Mojaco, Khaine's Messenger and Icarus! This has been a great help to me.

I am relieved that the exploding servitor doesn't seem inappropriate, it'll make sense in the story (I hope!)

In regards to the Lingua Technis, where can I find examples of this?

Mechanicus
18-02-2006, 09:01
Well, that depends. If you think Ligua Technis is binary, reflected in the later books from Black Library (Caves of Ice, Dark Adeptus). It is supposedly a sort of twittering sound.

If you believe it's a mixture of european and pacific languages, you could just make it up really, as I don't think there are any examples, though I could be wrong.

Yodhrin
18-02-2006, 10:40
I prefer to think of Lingua Technis as an extremely advanced form of Binary, it suits the AdMech more.

As to what it sounds like, I imagine if you overlay about ten dial-up modems all dialling different numbers etc, you would get something close.

Minister
18-02-2006, 11:06
Even if it is commonly "spoken" in binary, it still has to be the binary of something. that, and only those with neural and vocal implants could get away with using binary, so most of the cult Mechanicus is ruled out.