PDA

View Full Version : Codex Epic Fail - Create the best list with the worst garbage.

ETP
23-04-2010, 09:18
Hello, this is an idea ive been having for a while. The concept would be a casual campaign where every player must choose their list from the choices in Codex Epic Fail. I want your help. I want you all to make the best list you can with the following options. This will give me a good idea which choices should or should not be on the list, or if any restrictions need to be made. Also, if i missed any horrible, or vastly underrepresented units, please tell me.

The point here is to force people to use units that almost never used (or used, but still awful).

Without Further Ado:

Codex Epic Fail

Special Rules:
All rules and options from their original codex applies with the following exceptions:
Space Marine Honour Guard may be taken once for each HQ unit of any kind.
Necron Wraiths do not phase out
For Daemons, Divide only the portion of your army that consists of daemons for their special deployment, the rest of the army can set up at normal.
Units requiring an Inquisitor or Priest no longer require them.
Any units that are 0-1 choices no longer have that limitation.
Guard Conscripts do not require a platoon (and you cant choose to buy a platoon, they are taken alone)
Land Speeder Storm may carry any model with armour 4 or worse that uses a standard infantry base size who could normally embark a vehicle.

HQ:

Lucius the Eternal
St. Celestine
Bjorn the Fellhanded
Aun'Va
Parasite of Mortrex
Death Company Tycho
Baharoth

Ethereal
Dark Angels Librarian
IG Techpriest Enginseer
Space Marine Honour Guard
Ork Weirdboy

Elites:

Necron Pariah
Ork Tankbustas
Space Marine Techpriest
Space Marine Servitor Squad
Daemon Beasts of Nurgle
Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard
Daemonhunter Daemonhosts
Tyranid Pyrovore Brood
Tyranid Lictor Brood
Witch Hunter Arcoflaggellants
Witch Hunter Sister Repentia
Dark Eldar Grotesques
IG Stormtroopers
Daemonhunter Death Cult Assassin

Troops:

Tau Fire Warriors
Nurglings
Ripper Swarms
Guard Conscripts
Penal Legion Squad
Blood Angels Death Company

Fast Attack:

Chaos Spawn
Dark Eldar Hellions
Guard Rough Riders
Land Speeder Storm
Tyranid Spore Mine Cluster
Tyranid Sky Slasher Swarms
Daemon Furies of Chaos
Tau Gun Drone Squadron
Vespid Stingwings
Necron Wraiths
Eldar Swooping Hawks
Eldar Shining Spears

Heavy Support:
Eldar Support Weapon Batteries
Ork Flash Gitz
Ork Looted Wagon
Tau Sniper Drone Team
Tau Skyray Missile Gunship
Guard Deathstrike Missile Launcher
Witch Hunters Retributor Squad
Grey Knights Purgation Squad
Witch Hunter Penitent Engines

Post your lists and Suggestions Below!

Urgat
23-04-2010, 09:27
I'll save some time and just report this to be moved where it belongs...

edit: or I won't, I'm a noob, I can't find the report button ><

ETP
23-04-2010, 09:36
I dont know, its a pretty general. Talking about the worst, or most underrepresented units in the game. The fact that i turned it into a listmaking game shouldnt really hamper that. The thread that inspired this came from this forum anyway.

Urgat
23-04-2010, 09:37
But this belong in the 40k forum, not this forum, which is the fantasy battle one ;)

Sloeberjong
23-04-2010, 09:38
Yeah, except that you post 40k stuff in the fantasy section ;)

*ninja'd!, do'h!*

Revlid
23-04-2010, 09:49
I'll save some time and just report this to be moved where it belongs...

edit: or I won't, I'm a noob, I can't find the report button ><

Bottom-left corner of the post. :)

ChaosVC
23-04-2010, 10:06
Haha! Whats wrong with these people! They don't seems to be able to tell the difference. Is this a 8th ed conspiracy?

Fixer
23-04-2010, 10:19
Considering that a musket in Fantasy is str 4 and even the best medieval armor wouldn't have the stopping power of Eldar 5+ mesh armor this army would be pretty nasty in Fantasy.

Let's get the basic stuff fleshed out.

Imperial Guardsman: 5 points, 2+ save,

Lasgun str 8, 8 shots. 72" range
Monomolecular edged bayonet: Ignores fantasy armor in close combat.

This considered, the epic fail army could almost compete with Demons! :)

Hunger
23-04-2010, 11:06
Rough Riders shouldn't be on your list - they are excellent. A unit of ten of them costs at least half (possibly even a third or even A QUARTER) the points of most assault units, and on the charge they can consistently wipe out significant numbers MEQ, even terminators.

Plus you can have 3 units of them! Use them to race out and clean up half-strength units after your Russes and artillery have shelled them.

ehlijen
23-04-2010, 11:31
There's a whole bunch of units on that list that I'd consider decent if not good. This thread will very quickly degenerate into a debate as to which personal opinion of which unit is right or wrong.

grissom2006
23-04-2010, 11:35
Personally i don't even think we needed this thread as we've had every single thing in the OP's post covered to death in one thread or another.

Kulgur
23-04-2010, 12:21
There's a whole bunch of units on that list that I'd consider decent if not good. This thread will very quickly degenerate into a debate as to which personal opinion of which unit is right or wrong.

QFT, beat me to the post there

Vepr
23-04-2010, 15:14
I don't think the parasite is epic fail though I would hesitate to call it good either for the points but I do think you left off Old One Eye. Old One Eye might just be the worst entry in the Tyranid codex and that is saying something. It is nice though that our brand new codex seems to have at least one or more entries in every category.

Mojaco
23-04-2010, 15:21
Fun list you made there. I don't agree with all of it, as I find some units okay, but there's nothing really wrong with it. Most of these are rare, as you partially intended.

I love the Weirdboy though.

TheSanityAssassin
23-04-2010, 16:03
The problem with something like this is that these units suck (generally) in comparason with the rest of their list. Suddenly start letting a gunline of Fire Warriors get backed up by Death Company, and things just get crazy.

Bunnahabhain
23-04-2010, 16:29
Rough riders are excellent, but have really high class competition for their slot, awful and expensive, very nice but incredibly expensive FW, or simply unavailable models.

Taking the OPS list as a basis

FW Gunline, with Rough riders as counter assualt, backed up By Death strikes and Eldar support weapons.

Tankbustas and Storm troopers provide some focussed firepower. HQ is difficult. Celestine and ???

santso
23-04-2010, 16:56
hey your list is not perfect! add dark eldar madrakes there fast! grotesques r far more usefull than mandrakes(grotesgues actually can win closecombats:))
and scourges too, they r far too expensive nowdays.

Ozendorph
23-04-2010, 17:26
Pariah Squads outflanking onto the table, mounted in Land Speeder Storms ftw.

puppetmaster24
23-04-2010, 17:39
i use actually wraiths i'll have you know. and they have done very well for me.

Ozendorph
23-04-2010, 17:57
I use Wraiths too, but I find them to be rather sub par. Small unit size (insert joke) and lack of special attacks means I always end up running a Destroyer Lord with Orb/Scythe with them. It's a mess of points and typically doesn't have a game effect to match. I'm just a slave to cool looking models ;)

Gaargod
23-04-2010, 18:00
A lot of units which are considered 'bad' are actually only bad in their own codex. Or at least, become a lot worse there.

I.e. pyrovores. they're pretty bad anyways, but compared to the other tyranid elite slots, there's just no point at all.

Mojaco
23-04-2010, 18:15
I miss all the Phoenix Warriors. They're all overpriced.

Comrade Penguin
23-04-2010, 21:05
I don't think the parasite is epic fail though I would hesitate to call it good either for the points but I do think you left off Old One Eye. Old One Eye might just be the worst entry in the Tyranid codex and that is saying something. It is nice though that our brand new codex seems to have at least one or more entries in every category.

Vepr hits the nail on the head, old one eye was one of the biggest disappointments of the new codex. I actually own a third edition version of this model, so I was ridiculously excited to be able to use him again..... But a week after the codex release OOE was placed in my display case and hasn't moved since then :(

Anyway back to the list, I will add stuff from the tyranids since that is what I am most familiar with.

HQ: I wouldn't consider any of these epic failures, the parasite is a little weak but not an epic fail.

Elite: pyrovores and lictors... truly awful.

Troops: SPINEGANTS!!! Sorry I have over 60 fully painted and based spinegants sitting in a box somewhere. Ripperswarms got even worse :wtf: Warriors also got a heavy nerf, but they aren't in the epic fail category.

Fast Attack: I literally laughed out loud when I read the Harpy's codex entry. I just kept picturing a Chimera knocking this guy out of the sky in the first or second turn. Also: Flying rippers, flying warriors, spore mines.

Heavy Support: Tyrannofex and his little bro the carnifex take the cake in terms of pure suck. Both are over-costed for what they do and most competent players know to just ignore them and focus on your synapse. I would also like to submit the mawlock as another fail... simply because he had so much potential and ended up being a crappy trygon :shifty:

Ozendorph
23-04-2010, 21:08
I miss all the Phoenix Warriors. They're all overpriced.

This is true. The PLs should all have invuls at least (with Asurmen having a slightly better one, I'd suppose). They don't hold a candle to the current crop of SCs and even generic HQs

only joking...
23-04-2010, 22:31
HQ: Celestine

Elites: none

Troops: 250 points of spinegaunts (don't have the 'dex so don't no what they cost)

Fast Attack: 30 chaos spawn :eek: (1200 points)

Heavy support: none

That should be about 1500. My plan is to contest objectives. :D;)

BTW take Rough Riders off that list they have to be one of the most effective counter-assault units in the game.

ETP
24-04-2010, 02:56
This is a very epic fail thread. I post in the wrong section and then everyone Fails to reply with the purpose, which is to make army lists out of this.

If you feel a unit is strong and shouldnt be on the list, make a list that spams them or shows how they are good. And yes, as i had said in my first post, some arent "terrible" some are just totally overmatched by other things in their own codex. Rough Riders can be okay, but there are so many better ways to spend your points in the IG dex which is why they are here. One time in 6 they do something awesome, the rest of the time they get cut down prematurely doing nothing.

Bunnahabhain
24-04-2010, 09:20
Rough Riders can be okay, but there are so many better ways to spend your points in the IG dex which is why they are here. One time in 6 they do something awesome, the rest of the time they get cut down prematurely doing nothing.

I disagree entirely, and I have a full platoon of them.

Used carefully, they provide at least one, if not more of:

A looming target the enemy devotes far too much effort to killing, so makes themselves vulnerable.

A lethal High grade CC punch, that can be delivered into an ongoing combat, unlike firepower

A mobile reserve- 19-24" of movement, that can't be shaken/stunned. Once a unit has used it lances, I've sometime had them ignored as no longer relevant, but they can still contest stuff...

For about 100pts, they form a perfectly capable CC element on their own, which cannot be found anywhere else in the Guard codex- any other passable CC unit costs much more- ogryns, blobbed up platoon with commisar, straken + men to boss about....

The problem is that decent models for them either cost a fortune, or require lots of converting, and that Valkyries and Vendettas are awesome, very, very useful, and somewhat underpriced, so tend to take the Fast Attack slots