PDA

View Full Version : Forge World Newsletter #141

Lord_Dante
17-02-2006, 12:58
Haha up first I hope :)

In today’s issue of the Forge World Newsletter we have a few new Elysian Drop Troop releases and some really neat upgrades for Black Templars Space Marines to show you too. We are pulling together the last few loose ends for Games Day Atlanta which is only a few weeks away, as well as starting work on Games Day France and Games Day Los Angeles a few weeks later.

Elysian Hardened Veterans
A few weeks ago we released a Cadian veteran upgrade pack with some really neat new shotguns. This new pack of Elysian Hardened Veterans also have combat shotguns that I think are equally cool! This complete multi-part resin five-man unit comes with four large calibre pump-action shotguns that feature a sliding collapsible stock: Perfect for close quarter battles when bulky weapons can quickly become a liability. Backing the rest of the unit up with some heavier firepower is the fifth member of the team who is equipped with a bipod mounted Meltagun. And of course this new unit is available with or without Grav Chutes; the choice is up to you.

Link: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/ehvshotguns.htm

Elysian Scanner & Lascutters
The military issue Lascutter is used for cutting through bulkheads and sealed doorways, allowing Imperial troops to get into areas which might not be otherwise easily accessible and outmanoeuvre their enemy. It can also be used to devastating effect in close combat against immobile vehicles and bunkers. All this makes the Lascutter perfect for Elysian Drop Troop forces which rely on speed and manoeuvrability to bring their limited firepower to bear on their foes. The Elysians can also now be equipped with the Accatran pattern Long-Range Ground Scanner. These are larger and more powerful versions of the hand-held scanners used by some Imperial Guard officers. The Accatran Scanner can provide a wide array of useful data on enemy movements and locations to the Elysian commander which can then be quickly communicated to the rest of the force via the vox-network. Full rules for using Lascutters and the Long Range Ground Scanner will be available fairly soon in our next big book, Imperial Armour Volume 4 – The Anphelion Project. All four Elysians in the pack are supplied with ‘normal’ helmeted heads, but we also include four of the new style heads with respirators too. Both of the heads for the scanner crewman are a little bit different to the rest of the unit as they heads incorporate a really neat flip-down data screen. Once more, this new unit is available for you to choose with or without Grav Chutes.

Link: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/elylascutters.htm

Elysian Heads with Respirators
Again, a few weeks ago we released an upgrade pack of Cadian infantry equipped with Respirators. Imperial Guard units use Respirators when operating in environments containing gases or particulates that could be harmful or impair the fighting ability of the troops. A few likely examples are smoke filled buildings, noxious swamps or spore filled Tyranid Hives. This is a pack of twelve individual Elysian Respirator heads, eleven ‘normal’ and one special one for your vox-caster.

Link: Not working at the moment (You can see them by going to pre-orders though).

Black Templars Storm Shields
Back in White Dwarf issue 312, some pictures of Mark Bedford’s converted Black Templars Terminators aroused plenty of interest, with lots of requests for Forge World to make and release similar Storm Shields. Working together, Mark Bedford and Simon Egan have created a set of five different Black Templars Terminator Storm Shields even more ornate and characterful than Mark’s originals! These new Storm Shields attach to your Assault Terminators in the same way as the standard plastic shields you get in the box, but these are literally covered in purity seals and honour badges, all of which adds heaps of character to your elite unit.

Link: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/blacktemplars.htm

Black Templars Terminator Shoulder Pads
To help enhance both your Terminator and Assault Terminator squads, Simon Egan recently finished work on a complete set of shoulder pads for the Black Templars. The set is made up of 5 left-hand pads, all bearing a beautifully detailed Crux Terminatus, and five individual right-hand pads that really are mini works of art. One thing I love is how Simon has aged each shoulder pad: Look carefully and you can see the scrapes and nicks that the armour has picked up during centuries of combating the enemies of Humanity.

Link: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/blacktemplars.htm

Avian
17-02-2006, 13:02
I wonder what las-cutters will be like, rules-wise. Short range low powered lascannons, perhaps? Sort of like a melta-gun without the melta-effect?

self biased
17-02-2006, 13:03
damn. so close.

my god those storm sheilds are huge. think the templars are overcompensating for something?

Chaos and Evil
17-02-2006, 13:04
New Elysians! New Elysians! All the visitors are crashing FW's website! New Elysians!

*phew*

Lord_Dante
17-02-2006, 13:06
Maybe thats why everything is so expensive. Because of the bandwidth we use looking at all the cool models :) I hope they do the shields for other chapters. At the moment I'm thinking of doing something similar using Blood Angel icons and the current shields.

self biased
17-02-2006, 13:07
yeah, i did my sergeant's sheild with the DA pack. it came out quite nice.

Gethzerion
17-02-2006, 13:10
Hmm, even though I have several hundred pounds worth of Elysians, I am not sure about the new minis.

After reducing the size of the standard las gun for a drop army, why do we have such a long barrelled shotgun? surely a shorter version would be more appropriate? (this is in the same vein as the appalling flamer).

The new heads are ok, but for some reason I prefer the mock up someone did on the PT board using the cadian heads with resperators.. even if the question of why they would have two sets of breathing apparatus on each model was never completely answered.

The Las cutters look good, but they are let done by the stock poses of the models available. Given that there are only 5 or 6 (i forget which) sets of legs, surely some new poses would have improved the look of the models and introduced some more variaty (sp?). I may use these as flamers...

The long range scanner model is probably my favourite, but I'll have to wait to get IA4 to use it (oops I think you need IA4 for the shotguns vets and las cutters) only to find that its points cost out weighs its value... but it may make a good objective marker.

my_name_is_tudor
17-02-2006, 13:11
ha to all the people who said my Karadz Westers (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/my_name_is_tudor/Concepts/KWester2.gif) concepts were flawed because they had two respirators - so do these guys! (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Imperial%20Guard/Elysians/lascutter2.jpg)

Bloodthirster90
17-02-2006, 13:20
my god those storm sheilds are huge. think the templars are overcompensating for something?

that's possible they are anatomically correct they are just slightly inamnimate

back on topic, I dont care much for guard and the templars...*pshh*

Dunr II
17-02-2006, 13:22
oh my god :eek:
so cool must resist tau to come must resist

Luke
17-02-2006, 13:24
ha to all the people who said my Karadz Westers (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/my_name_is_tudor/Concepts/KWester2.gif) concepts were flawed because they had two respirators - so do these guys! (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Imperial%20Guard/Elysians/lascutter2.jpg)

lol, thats the first thing i noticed! and i recall your westers regiment, which is what made me immediately think of why the fw ones had messed up.

my_name_is_tudor
17-02-2006, 13:27
Lol, well I have decided to use cadian torsos on my Westers anyway, but still..

philbrad2
17-02-2006, 13:27
I wonder what las-cutters will be like, rules-wise. Short range low powered lascannons, perhaps? Sort of like a melta-gun without the melta-effect?

Could be, they look a bit ALIENSesque for cutting/sealing bulkheads for Anphelion Project games. Scanner has overtones of a motion tracker to me.

Elysian respirator heads look well nice. Shotguns are far more substantial than the Cadian Vet ones, I like these more especially because of their tubular stocks.

BT shields and pads look great ... as ever

DAMN YOU FW WHY DO YOU MAKE SUCH TASTY MODELS!!!!!

:chrome:

my_name_is_tudor
17-02-2006, 13:30
The Black Templars parts are almost enough to actually make me paint up some of that godawful chapter's models! Might do 'white templars' or something.. perhaps they will release other giant storm shields in the future.

smed9
17-02-2006, 13:41
Lord Dante.......my thoughts entirerly.:D As usual FW get us drooling and slavering, I don't do BT's, but are cosidering some Termies just for the Shields.....more money, more money:cries:

Darkseer
17-02-2006, 13:46
Those shields are just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big

Keravin
17-02-2006, 13:48
I'm now torn between buying two packs of the Elysian heads for the same price as the Cadian gasmask upgrades.

Damn you Forge World give me a Cadian Gasmask only pack.

Old School
17-02-2006, 14:07
The picture of that last hardened veteran looks so good, that is an amazing model.
(http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Imperial%20Guard/Elysians/vet4.jpg)

Looks like they just kitted out a real person with all that equipment, and just spray painted him light grey......and made him stand on small black disc etc... ;)

The Judge
17-02-2006, 14:08
Not big enough more like...

Cadian Respirator-only pack, yes please.

Chaos and Evil
17-02-2006, 14:33
I can at least answer why there are two different sets of respirators.

At GD'05 I was chatting with Will Hayes about the Elysian Veterans on display there (He sculpted these new shotguns, and all of the Elysian weapons in fact).

He mentioned that in IA:4, the Elysians would be using a second breathing device, because the grav-chute respirators only carry enough oxygen for the 5 minute fall to earth, so they would be using new helmets with rebreathers/extra oxygen in addition to their normal air supply, because (IIRC) apparently Anphellion has a nasty atmosphere that it isn't advisable to breathe.

Thus the second air supply system, tadaa!

philbrad2
17-02-2006, 14:40
Elysian respirator heads for the hard of clicking :angel:

http://www.retribution40k.net/photos/respheadsstore.jpg

Do the same for the Cadians please. My son got his Cadian resiprator pack yesterday to make his command sqaud and those resin bit rock! Especially the 'Kasrkin' style heads. I wonder what the Elysain heads would look like on Cadian bodies? The helmets are sort of Delta Forcey rather than normal 'bonedomes' might be good for a Cadian 'special forces' kill team :evilgrin:

:chrome:

Keravin
17-02-2006, 14:42
I really like the Vox operator head.

JageR
17-02-2006, 15:04
i love the new storm shields for BT *drool*

boogle
17-02-2006, 15:45
hmm it's almost as if i'm psychic: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=487537&postcount=17

there's another 68 to be spent

Sai-Lauren
17-02-2006, 15:48
Woo, las-cutters are back, last seen disappearing alongside phase field generators when RT gave way to 2nd edition.

I'd guess they're not going to do too well against moving targets, rather they'll interact with any rules for doors, walls and similar impassable features.

Gierek
17-02-2006, 16:07
The new templar shiels are great, maybe a bit to large, but thats how storm shields schould look like.

boogle
17-02-2006, 16:22
the only problem i now see with the Respirator helmets is, if you give them to normal Elysians, then they will have 2 sets of respirators, 1 on their face and 1 on their chest

t-tauri
17-02-2006, 16:31
hmm it's almost as if i'm psychic: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=487537&postcount=17

Haruumph. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=486462#post486462)

You're psychic?

That's a load of those heads I'll be needing, then.

Lascutters rules I'd expect to see something like a very short (or zero?) range meltagun. IIRC there are rules in Necromunda for the old lascutters

pricetb
17-02-2006, 16:44
wonder what the Elysain heads would look like on Cadian bodies? The helmets are sort of Delta Forcey rather than normal 'bonedomes' might be good for a Cadian 'special forces' kill team

My thoughts exactly. Can't wait to get my hands on those!

Ubik_Lives
17-02-2006, 16:52
the only problem i now see with the Respirator helmets is, if you give them to normal Elysians, then they will have 2 sets of respirators, 1 on their face and 1 on their chest

Think of the chest one as an air supply for the jump, and the face one as a filter for the contaminated air that the trooper is now in.

Ki-Adi-Monkey
17-02-2006, 16:52

They wouldn't have two sets of respirators. The one attached to the chest is an oxygen mask they use when dropping in it not a respirator. The respirator allows them to continuosly breath the air on the planet, with the nasty bits filtered out.

Rob

sanctusmortis
17-02-2006, 17:28
I don't do Guard. I don't do Guard. I don't do Guard. I don't do Guard...

I really like these Elysians, but damnit I can't add another army to the queue! It's already Tau then Tyranids then Chaos... must not add a fourth.

Axel
17-02-2006, 17:31
> 2 sets of respirators
I`ll use the second one as chemoinhalator, injecting drugs as needed :-)

ferrus
17-02-2006, 17:57
Nice... I hope they do more variaties of Cadian/Catachan/Elysian Vets with different weapons in the future.

t-tauri
17-02-2006, 18:39
The last set of IA4 releases should, in theory, include character figures who'll be good for regular Elysian vets and COs.

Chaos and Evil
17-02-2006, 18:50
An Elysian special character model is 99% confirmed (I suspect him to be General Syveka who appeared in IA:3 leading the Elysians there before being captured by the Tau, escaping, getting rescued, getting surgically enhanced with bio-mechanics & being assigned into the retinue of an Ordos Xenos Inquisitor)

Gen.Steiner
17-02-2006, 18:52
On one of the explanations for the 'two respirators' issue:

If you have an O2 supply for the jump, then you have to take that off, and put on your second respirator... um... you expose yourself to the nerve gas/poisonous atmosphere.

I won't be using the masked heads. The chest-mount respirators are all I need to be WYSIWYG if I want to take 'Chem-Inhalers' ... except I won't be. :P

Mist-man
17-02-2006, 18:58
I like the elysian drop troops. If it didn't cost so much money, then I would probally get some

boogle
17-02-2006, 19:14
An Elysian special character model is 99% confirmed (I suspect him to be General Syveka who appeared in IA:3 leading the Elysians there before being captured by the Tau, escaping, getting rescued, getting surgically enhanced with bio-mechanics & being assigned into the retinue of an Ordos Xenos Inquisitor)
never thought about him!!!

sulla
17-02-2006, 19:51
Gotta say I'm not that impressed by the veterans... the stock elysian poses look kind of boring with shotguns. they needed to be advancing IMO. Also, as veterans I sort of expected more ... junk on them... grenades, extra ammo, etc.

However, I really love the respirators and the lascutter (although the scanner is a bit unwieldy.

Best product in the new section has to be those 'sabre' defense platforms, especially the heavy stubber one. Awesome looking... crap in game terms probably, but awesome looking. I think I'll put one of those and those awesome respirators on my 'to buy' list with the ordo xenos disection table and holding tanks.

The tank crew look great too. Awesome work forgeworld!

Sulla

kendoka
17-02-2006, 20:07
OK, first I want to say that I usually love the FW releases (I am actually gluing a 10 Cadian shotgunners at the moment and a Sabre stubber, a Sabre search light, a Malanthrope etc. are heading my way).

This time... something is really wrong.

To quote "large calibre pump-action shotguns" - yet, all shotguns have the "pump" handle at the extreme rear position. How the heck do the Elysians pump? Forward?
Have some mech dude in ze future turned a drawing upside down or?

These pump rifles (although rather cool) are in need of some serious conversion work!

Gen_eV
17-02-2006, 20:10
Aaargh!
Twenty-seventh of March. MARCH! They finally put out some models I utterly can't resist, and I have to wait six weeks for the buggers! Noooooooooo!

Gonna have to buy me some of those Elysians - I was toying with the idea of making a Van Saar gang from them, and now they go and release both Shotguns and the perfect weapons to convert into Heavy Stubbers. Cheeky beggars.

With the addition of Stubber bitz and a variety of new heads, I'm looking at the best part of two weeks wages gone. (Darn university, taking up too much of my time to let me get a proper job).

Still, they are abso-bally-lutely gorgeous. Best Forgeworld releases in a long while, and that's saying something (beating the Malanthrope, Argus Lighter, all the other Elysians...)

Tom
17-02-2006, 20:17
To quote "large calibre pump-action shotguns" - yet, all shotguns have the "pump" handle at the extreme rear position. How the heck do the Elysians pump? Forward?
Have some mech dude in ze future turned a drawing upside down or?

Presumably. Imperial shotguns tend to pump forwards rather than backwards.

Jahrael
17-02-2006, 21:13
Presumably. Imperial shotguns tend to pump forwards rather than backwards.

Not all Imperial shotguns--because the Cadian vet's shotguns pump to the rear. I guess the Elysians just don't like to pump the rear. :angel:

burni
17-02-2006, 21:29
I guess the Elysians just don't like to pump the rear. :angel:

:D :D :D

Gotta be a sig in there somewhere (first time I've laughed out loud at Warseer)

Inquisitor Maul
17-02-2006, 21:38
Not all Imperial shotguns--because the Cadian vet's shotguns pump to the rear. I guess the Elysians just don't like to pump the rear. :angel:

That's just WRONG!!! :D

Damn, I spiled coke all over my keyboard now because I laughed so much :(

Anvils Hammer
17-02-2006, 22:05
my brother is kicking himself.. he saw the black templar sheild conversions and prompty purchased 5 BT rhino rear doors. lol

luckily 4 of them are unopened, so im going to make a polite phone call to forgeworld on his behalf tomorow and see about an exchange.

im not so sure about some of this new stuff, the respirators look too busy for my tastes, the shots guns are gourgeous though.

Tyra_Nid
18-02-2006, 06:12
The shotguns on the vets look great... but they dont look like vets. Just elysians with shotguns.

Tempted by the respirator pack to use with my regular cadians, but I think ill just get the normal cadian respirator pack and all the cool details toys that come with it :D

Ki-Adi-Monkey
18-02-2006, 09:50
On one of the explanations for the 'two respirators' issue:

If you have an O2 supply for the jump, then you have to take that off, and put on your second respirator... um... you expose yourself to the nerve gas/poisonous atmosphere.

Its higly unlikely they'd drop straight in to an area affected by nerve gas, or tyranid bio chemicals, so they'd have time to change.

If they were dropping into a planet with a poisonous atmosphere, I'm sure they'd have a while before they were affected to change into the respirators.

If not then they simply wouldn't air drop in; they'd be inserted by dropships with respirators on already. There oxygen masks would still be present because it is part of their gear.

Rob

t-tauri
18-02-2006, 10:01
You'd just take the mask off the drop air supply and plug the pipe directly into the respirator. Then when you hit ground you disconnect the air tanks and go over to respirators to filter the air. No way would you ever change masks. You'd risk getting a lung full of some hideous tyranid spore or biotoxin and die in short order.

Ki-Adi-Monkey
18-02-2006, 10:17
You'd just take the mask off the drop air supply and plug the pipe directly into the respirator. Then when you hit ground you disconnect the air tanks and go over to respirators to filter the air. No way would you ever change masks. You'd risk getting a lung full of some hideous tyranid spore or biotoxin and die in short order.

No, that just wouldn't happen. They wouldn't just drop into an affected area and have to change to their masks if it was too dangerous.

And they obviously don't have respirators that aren't face mask mounted, or they would have them instead.

Rob

t-tauri
18-02-2006, 10:29
Eh? Don't understand your point.
If you have to drop, you have to drop. It's a man's life in the Drop Troopers. That's why the air supply for the halo drop and the respirator would need to be integrated.

Respirators have to go over the face-it's where your nose and mouth are. ;)

Ki-Adi-Monkey
18-02-2006, 10:39
If you have to drop, you have to drop. It's a man's life in the Drop Troopers. That's why the air supply for the halo drop and the respirator would need to be integrated.

If that was the case, then the elysians would have a respirator system like you describe. They don't...

Respirators have to go over the face-it's where your nose and mouth are.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If they had to plug the pipes from the oxygen mask into a respirator, without taking the mask off, the respirator would not be on their face.

Rob

Chaos and Evil
18-02-2006, 11:12
If that was the case, then the elysians would have a respirator system like you describe. They don't...

Yeah they do, the respirators are clipped to their chests on the models.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If they had to plug the pipes from the oxygen mask into a respirator, without taking the mask off, the respirator would not be on their face.

Rob

Bleh.

t-tauri
18-02-2006, 12:02

The respirator goes over your face when you're in the dropping aircraft. Then you plug the air supply in to the repirator so you can still breathe as you drop through the thin air. When you hit the dirt and ditch the grav chute then you just unplug the pipe. The repirator stays sealed over your face until you get out of the contaminated air. No need for the second mask or to change masks.

Ki-Adi-Monkey
18-02-2006, 14:03
The respirator goes over your face when you're in the dropping aircraft. Then you plug the air supply in to the repirator so you can still breathe as you drop through the thin air. When you hit the dirt and ditch the grav chute then you just unplug the pipe. The repirator stays sealed over your face until you get out of the contaminated air. No need for the second mask or to change masks.

Ah I see what you mean. That would work, but evidently the elysians don't have the right kind of respirators :D

Rob

Lord_Dante
18-02-2006, 16:04
Don't they use two respirators in the Gaunts Ghosts where they drop in on a sort of jump pack? The one with the sort of domes. I'm sure its as described, one for the drop and one for chemcial defense.

The Black Aquila
18-02-2006, 18:37
:D

Well, reading through the post I didn't see anyone answer this, but maybe i'm blind :P. In IA3 you can have Human Aux miner people with lascutters and it is the same as a Meltagun it says. Might have changed that for IA4 though.

I personally love the Elysians Vets as I am not much good at converting and I always take my Hardened Vets with shotguns. Having two squads of 10 shotgun totting vets in my current army i'm building, i'll be advancing ordering them now :D :D

One problem with the respirator heads, how would you explain the respirators on the chest?

Ki-Adi-Monkey
18-02-2006, 19:25
One problem with the respirator heads, how would you explain the respirators on the chest?

Haven't you read any of the other posts in this thread? :D

Ki-Adi-Monkey
18-02-2006, 19:37
Don't they use two respirators in the Gaunts Ghosts where they drop in on a sort of jump pack? The one with the sort of domes. I'm sure its as described, one for the drop and one for chemcial defense.

Yes I think you are right. They did it in The Guns of Tanith when they were on phantine.

Rob

The Black Aquila
18-02-2006, 21:36
Oh, now I get you about the two respirators thing, I was a little confused because I was glancing over quickly really :D. That would seem logical yea if they were dropping into a area where they needed defense from a toxic environment. I'm sure the Elysians only ever carry enough oxygen in their chest respirator for the drop only and so it wouldn't help after that.