PDA

View Full Version : Adamantine Mantle on a model...

Sanguinary
17-02-2006, 14:47
Does anyone know what the adamantine mantle should look like? I want to model it and have no clue what it should be. Pictures would be great if anyone has some.

LostTemplar
17-02-2006, 14:54
Like a big flowing cape, with a large Superman icon drawn on it!

It'd sugest keeping it as a cloak of some sort, even though one would be willing to accept some style of runes/heavy parchments denoting immense resistance!

halo
17-02-2006, 14:58
One of the GW contributers thought that the mantle may look like a chainmail cloak.So that's what he done.
I believe he used the cloaked body from the Space marine Command sprue, covered it with greenstuff, then made holes using a pin. He enlarged these with the sculpting tool til they looked the right size, and the overall effect looked correct.
Try looking on the GW website, modelling, space marine commanders. Good luck.

Sanguinary
17-02-2006, 15:07
I am just sick of my Chaplain dying to powerfists. So this will help alot. Now to figure out how to model cloak with jumppack.

halo
17-02-2006, 15:13
You may have to model that yourself, but if your Chaplain has a jump pack would,nt a cloak (or mantle) be a hinderance.

Aidan
17-02-2006, 15:15
Heh. A cloak with a jump pack would probably result in the cloak being sucked into the engine, realistically :P

SPACE MARINES, ATTACK!
*boom*

Phyros
17-02-2006, 15:18
Look in the bitz section for Chaplain Xavier's Salamander Mantle.

ffclubhero
17-02-2006, 15:49
I used the Archaon on foot model from Games Day 2003 (?) as the basis for a commander with Adamantine Mantle. Didn't worry too much about the backpack....

Eduard
17-02-2006, 15:59
Anyone who has seen "The Incredibles" knows that cloaks are out of fasion :D
you could also use the old necron lord model, and use his cloak. It would involve a lot of cutting though.

marv335
17-02-2006, 17:07
or do what i did and convert a chaplain out of the new commander box. add a jump pack and a crozius made from a thunder hammer and a banner top.
the cloak sits under the JP and looks as if it is billowing out behind him. especially if you use a pair of assault marine running legs.
there is enough bling inthe box to make the armour look ornate enough to be a chaplain

Da Reddaneks
17-02-2006, 17:13
it would look asthetically different based on the army using it. model it how ever you want as long as it fits into the theme of the army.

Kymar
17-02-2006, 19:12
The "Wrath of the Righteous" Campaign has a special character that has a Adamantine mantle:

http://ca.games-workshop.com/Wrath/Hobby/titus.htm

Ya, its just a cape like everyone else said, but maybe it will help.

Tom
17-02-2006, 19:41
The cape in the marine commander box should do just fine. Wargear can take many different forms, as long as there's something on the model that could feasibly represent it without needing excessive explanation or just sounding silly it'll be fine. It could be his armour's been coated with a blast-absorbing polymer and it's represented by gloss varnishing the armour plates. It could be a force field generator.

SalamandersStink
17-02-2006, 22:16
adamantine mantle on a chaplain? thats a lot of points just because a few powerfists get through from time to time. he still gets a 4 up invul. save. with adamantine mantle on him he becomes an even bigger point target.

Skyth
18-02-2006, 00:35
I'd personally use the Dark Angels Special Chappie...He has a Toga-type thing that could double as one. Just replace the sword arm with a bolt pistol arm.

Heru Talon
18-02-2006, 02:14
The Adamantine Mantle on my Terminator Armoured Chapter Master is made out of metal foil, which after molded into the correct shape and look, was then covered in super glue and left to harden.

Metal foil really gives the Adamantine feel.

Otherwise you could use paper, like I used on my Inquisitor, cutting it into shape then using super glue on it. After it's hardened I painted it with boltgun metal streaks.

So in other words cloaks are easy to make.

Lame Duck
18-02-2006, 15:26
Does anyone know what the adamantine mantle should look like? I want to model it and have no clue what it should be. Pictures would be great if anyone has some.

I would think it looked like chainmail interwoven into some kind of elaborate cloak. Good luck modelling that!!! As an alternative you could represent it with something else, like a small sheild generator, if u arent picky about WYSIWYG.....which may cause problems......