PDA

View Full Version : Using a model's rules without the model itself.

Kalandros
25-04-2010, 06:02
So here's the deal, I've had this crazy idea of starting a Forest Goblin horde.
Yeah, I'm random like that.

So now the problem of Goblins is LD5-6, with heroes reaching, -GASP- 7.

Then I look at my Gorbad Ironclaw model on my shelves and I'm thinking it'd be pretty awful to use one Orc in a Goblin Horde.

Especially since that Orc is basically racist against Goblins, hah!

So while I enjoy following fluff, I'm thinking that with all the restrictions already on Orcs & Goblins (Hello Animosity) I might get away with it by using the Warboss on Giant Spider model to "count as" Gorbad Ironclaw on the table - I want his 18" LD10. His ASF Ignore armor axe is just a bonus, as he is rather weak on the defense and losing even the first wound is fatal - my 18" general/bsbship is reduced to 6"!

So I ask here, would it bother you if someone did that or would you rather have the orcs & gobs player break the fluff completely by taking Gorbad's model in a goblin horde? o;

Havock
25-04-2010, 06:13
If you make the Goblin model suitably awesome, why the hell not? Make it clear before the game however, Ork=/=Goblin. You might run into WYSIWYG problems at tournaments though.

Then again, maybe you should use the origina model -because- he is 'racist' against the goblins ;)

Kalandros
25-04-2010, 06:24
Haha perhaps, but just looking at the lil goblin on top his huge spider, he has a similar pose to that of Gorbad. Just missing the big pointing gauntlet, hehe.

I do agree that some tournaments I'd probably have to use Gorbad's model, and maybe I will nonetheless, that Giant spider model is going in my army even as filler! :D

Fanatics will be Giant Spiders (possible LotR models from GWshop) on round bases or maybe some nasty beast they had trapped and released and then its running around.

And while we're having LD10 in a large radius: 1 or 2 units of the new plastic trolls?! Hm hm, sounds good. I'll have Spider Hoppers as well, no need for expensive metal models (I already have 20 squig hoppers for my winter mixed horde).

Gah, now I gotta spend money cause I really want this army now haha.

Condottiere
25-04-2010, 07:11
I never found proxying a problem, especially if it's clearly explained before a game.

Maybe it's possible to do some minor conversions on Gorbad (an extreme makeover, if you will) that turns him into a sexy, if large boned, Goblin.

Kalandros
25-04-2010, 07:34
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4604887#post4604887

Here's the list I'm considering, providing I actually get all the models I'm aiming for.

Dwalin
25-04-2010, 08:14
Wow, awesome list. I love the theme, and as long as you tell people whats what before the battle i don't think you will run into any problems.

Tae
25-04-2010, 10:20
Souds cool. What are you going to use as your squig hoppers?

snottlebocket
25-04-2010, 11:42
Souds cool. What are you going to use as your squig hoppers?

Jumping spiders obviously.:D

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x268/PaNTHeRa_/QuickMovies/eight_legged_freaks.jpg