PDA

View Full Version : Kislevs - Tournament legal?

Emperor Fooble
25-04-2010, 07:17
Are the Kislevs still a legal army at fantasy tournaments?

Both on their own, and used as an allied contingent as described in their small and only army book?

Sorry if a dumb question, but I'm brand new to fantasy, having been convinced to move down from 40k after a few years.

Artinam
25-04-2010, 07:56
It depends on your tournament organizers. I have seen a few tournaments who do allow them (either seperatly or as a single army), whereas most don't (most still allow Dogs of Wars though).

Your best bet is contacting the organizers from the tourneys you want to attend.

Emperor Fooble
25-04-2010, 08:11
Just checking, because I dont want to get an army going only to have it banned from friendly games and the like.

Do games workshop held tourneys allow them?

I'm thinking more along the lines of a pure army, because mixed might be a little iffy.

But was a FAQ or something ever released saying kislev are outdated like the EoT teams?

snottlebocket
25-04-2010, 19:57
Just checking, because I dont want to get an army going only to have it banned from friendly games and the like.

Do games workshop held tourneys allow them?

I'm thinking more along the lines of a pure army, because mixed might be a little iffy.

But was a FAQ or something ever released saying kislev are outdated like the EoT teams?

In a pinch you can always use the empire rules. The infantry is fine as is. Swordsmen could just as easily be axemen. Boyars or greatswords makes no great difference either.

Imperial knights are a bit heavier armoured than winged lancers, but to be honest you could use the edge if you're going to spurn warmachines. Put the better save down to the lancer's superior agility on horseback to evade blows. The knights even have a banner that'll let them cause fear on the charge, just like the old lancers.

The compound bows of the horsetribes supposedly were more powerful and faster to fire than normal bows even though their range suffered. Sounds like a nice job for pistoliers, circling the enemy firing two strength 4 arrows each.

A war altar could just as well be a tough and stubborn bear for kislevite clergy, large enough to cause impact hits. Obviously a real lord wouldn't be parted from his horse. (maybe stanks could be even bigger bears?)

Artinam
25-04-2010, 20:06
Yeah you could always go as a count as Empire army, a lot of the Kislev units mentioned in their novels arent even included in the list (the guys with handguns and halberd as an example).

To put it simple, if you want to use their rules be aware that they are a bit outdated they lack any non-special character Lord model and their choices are limited. It is very likely that GW store tournaments will not allow them (friendly games might be different as they are still GW models).

Griefbringer
25-04-2010, 20:41
In a pinch you can always use the empire rules.

Dogs of War army list could also do pretty fine, at least for the cavalry (horse archers as light cavalry, lancers and legion as heavy cavalry). Infantry might be a bit trickier, though.

snottlebocket
25-04-2010, 20:42
Dogs of War army list could also do pretty fine, at least for the cavalry (horse archers as light cavalry, lancers and legion as heavy cavalry). Infantry might be a bit trickier, though.

Yeah but dogs of war are in the same gray area as the actual kislevite rules.

Tymell
25-04-2010, 20:45
Can we just have a sticky somewhere about the topic of "Is X legal in tournaments?" :p Because seriously, these threads come up so often, and the response is always the same: depends on the tournament.

What is or is not allowed in any tournament is entirely down to the discretion of the organisers.

Woodsman
25-04-2010, 21:20
Yeah you could always go as a count as Empire army, a lot of the Kislev units mentioned in their novels arent even included in the list (the guys with handguns and halberd as an example).

Which books mention Kislev?

Artinam
25-04-2010, 22:44
The Book with the Kislev Horsemen on the front. Riders of Death or something.

Also one of the Gotrex and Felix journals mentions some Kislevites and their culture.

LaughinGremlin
25-04-2010, 23:41
Riders of the Dead is a great read for any Kislevite fanatic. The troops mentioned in that book who are medium cavalry with lances and pistols are actually Imperial troops that join forces with Kislevlite winged lancers to fight chaos hordes. So, the Kislivites in the book are similar to models / army list outside of the book.

ChaosVC
26-04-2010, 04:34
Well, as far as my group is concern, we collect stuff that are outdate in rules and fluff like kislev. Simply because this is a modelling hobby, gaming is a bonus because the rules are crap and 8th editions smells full of it...well at least the rumours do. So it all comes down to the people you share your hobby with, if they accept the rules for allies contigent, go for it. But, if you are a tourny lover, best of luck to you then.