PDA

View Full Version : Ordinary goblins?

Botjer
25-04-2010, 07:16
Does anyone actually play ordinary goblins? as in NOT nightgoblins? I've never even seen an ordinary goblin unit fielded in a game...

snottlebocket
25-04-2010, 07:30
In this edition no. They made goblins more expensive which actually makes the goblins pretty lousy for what they do. In previous editions common goblins were worth it simply because they were cheap troops with a 4+ armoursave.

Now that they're not that cheap anymore the only thing that makes them worthwhile is the extra's night goblins get like nets and fanatics.

TMATK
25-04-2010, 07:31
It's pretty much always better to take night goblins for the fanatics and/or Netters, unless you're going for a themed/fluffy army.

Common gobs cost the same for light armor, and 1 point of leadership. Not worth it imo.

Luckywallace
25-04-2010, 08:02
I always use a block or 2 of 'common' Goblins, but that is because I wanted to have a totally 'common' Orcs and Goblins army. No Black/Savage Orcs and no Night/Forest Goblins.

They were certainly better back in 6th edition but I stick with 'em.

ftayl5
25-04-2010, 08:07
I've only ever seen them used for fluff purposes, an all common goblin army who shun their darker cousins. They have higher LD, thats a plus and I've seen common gob characters are more popular than NG characters for the +1 LD. COmmon gobs have a good save, they've better LD, but no fanatics or netters and they cost more so :( not many people use them

Condottiere
25-04-2010, 08:32
I find Goblins sympathetic, but pathetic as a stand alone army. At least the NGs have neat toys and Shamans who have the potential to do great, if dangerous, things.

Lordsaradain
25-04-2010, 10:53
I use wolf riders, but never unmounted common goblins.

Urgat
25-04-2010, 11:02
Does anyone actually play ordinary goblins? as in NOT nightgoblins? I've never even seen an ordinary goblin unit fielded in a game...

Yes, got a few units, wolfriders and warriors, but it's really only because I like them, no gameplay reason worthy of being mentioned (saves a few points on netters and that's it).

ghostline
25-04-2010, 12:12
I actually have 300 common goblins that I use in my army.

The one thing that really get's me though, is that the Box set's dont allow for Hand Weapon and shields, it's either spears or bows.

brendel
25-04-2010, 12:45
I have only seen them war machine crews, wolf riders (spider riders), uses to see them all the time in 5th and 6th ed, night goblins are more versatile at present.

Stuffburger
25-04-2010, 16:20
Between the BfSP box flooding the market with amazingly cheap (for warhammer, at least) night goblin models, and the fact that common goblins have only 2 pros and several cons compared to night goblins means there's in and out of game reasons they'll never be taken.

Commons get:
+ Light armor
+ +1 Leadership (But still terrible)

At the cost of:
- 1 point more expensive
- Can't get nets
- Can't get fanatics (This is the big one)
- -1I

Essentially, common goblins are stuck in the no-man's land between Night goblins and Boyz. As archers night goblins are cheaper and can get fanatics for protection, or you can get arrer boyz who are much tougher and have better range for +2 points. As spearmen, well, spears are sub-par anyways but you'd be much better off with 7 point boyz instead of 5 point goblins. As Hand weapon guys you can spend 4 points on a HW&S goblin or 2 more on an orc for +1 S (effectively), +1T, +1WS, +1 Ld and immunity to goblin panic.

I hope GW at least finds a niche for common goblins in the new O&G book, I do like the goblin models but have no incentive to get them as it stands. It's a bit of a tough problem as O&G have so many cheap horde troop types already it's difficult to give them all a specific use... I'm thinking they could get some additional options (like flaming arrows or a sharp stuff equivalent) or interesting add-ons like weapon teams of some sort.

rtunian
25-04-2010, 16:51
The one thing that really get's me though, is that the Box set's dont allow for Hand Weapon and shields, it's either spears or bows.

well, you get 1 hand weapon arm per 5 gobs (ie per pair of sprues). that's not enough to field a hw&s unit legally, but if you buy like 80 gobs instead of 30... that would give you 16 sword arms, which is technically enough to field a unit of 35 gobs (w/ muso & standard). leaving you with 45 gobs to split between bowgobs and wolf riders, who would then have to have bows or spears.

alternatively, you can give your common goblins bows & shields, and have a missile unit with a 4+ armor save in combat to the front. a quite handy supporter if the enemy has large targets. in addition, your models can go further, because now the bow armed ones count for "equipped right" instead of "equipped wrong"...

but generally, i do agree with you: the sprues should have more hand weapons!

BigbyWolf
25-04-2010, 17:33
Every now and then if I'm in the mood for a little fun I take a common Goblin horde. There are a few little tricks you can get in there. Namely if your just taking them it leaves your special slots open for war machines and your rares for Giants, and you can take a nice fat unit of archers and add BSB with the poison banner.

And that's about it...

Still, I've won a couple of games with an all combat list. It's centrepiece is a unit of 60 Goblin "Honour Guard" armed with H/W, Shield, Bows and backed up by a combat kitted-out general and the bsb. That unit does love being charged by large targets (for the 60 poisonous shortbow shots...people only make the mistake of charging it once), and is backed up by several other units of Goblins (30-40+), 4 Wolf Chariots, a Caddy on chariot and an assassin boss on chariot and 2 giants. It has won a couple of minor victories and lost heavily quite a few times, but is still a good laugh.

Botjer
25-04-2010, 17:44
seriously? cant you just cut off the spears and call it a club?
or take the blade of the spears and glue them on the hands to look like daggers or swords?

Lordsaradain
25-04-2010, 17:50
or take the blade of the spears and glue them on the hands to look like daggers or swords?

Of course!
rtunian's idea is just silly, why would you want that many goblins?. :P

Botjer
25-04-2010, 18:14
i make kickass swords from the highelf spears, just chopchop

rtunian
25-04-2010, 18:20
you would be able to, because high elf spearpoints are elongated, and could easily pass for shortswords. goblin spearpoints, on the other hand, are big fat triangles. the nightgoblin spearpoints are different, those can pass for crudely constructed hand-weapons with the shafts hewn. but the common goblin ones are... a bit more on the hillarious side.

Urgat
25-04-2010, 18:30

Because with common gob spears, it looks like crap. better to switch weapons from other kits (skeletons, etc).

cornixt
26-04-2010, 00:36
Cheapest thing to do is to file the bows into daggers and swords. Easy to do too. Just flatten two of the sides, then file the edge into a blade.

Schmapdi
26-04-2010, 01:00
Between the BfSP box flooding the market with amazingly cheap (for warhammer, at least) night goblin models.

That would be my guess as the main reason why. A nice cheap core of units to get your army started is certainly a good motivator. The skull pass goblins are 90% as good as the box sets ones imo, and faster/easier to paint and assemble. It's why I started my pure Night Goblin force.

Look for an influx of new skaven/elf armies starting soonish.

TheOniwaban
26-04-2010, 02:38
I still use the older night goblin models. I call them "Were-Goblins" since they pretty much tower over BFSP Ngoblins. I have equipped them with hands weapons in the form of long pointy sticks with metal on the ends, if you catch my drift...

Jind_Singh
26-04-2010, 15:18
I play all-Goblin lists, and to date the core units were Night Goblins (2 units of 30 spears, full command, netters, spears, 2 fanatics, and 20 archers, full command, 1 fanatic)

But on the plane journey back home I am trying to include 30 Goblins, full command, bows, shields as I really want more common goblins than just wolf riders and crew.

I am going to use them as my combat unit with their 4+ save, stand & shoot ability, and maybe add the BSB to them to make them poisoned!

I am also modeling them so they have the classic Roman Turtle formation!!!

But they are taken for fluff reasons, and for variety - it just doesn't make sense to take them in favor of other units

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
26-04-2010, 17:45
I use the alot actually, in most of my goblin armies I field a unit from 24 or 25 goblins with shortbows and shields. A 4+ save and 25 shot on large targets is great in my oppinion. I converted the unit with the bows and shields from the 6ed dwarves so that the look ard:p

Cheers,
G

grumbaki
26-04-2010, 18:01
Just a quick question:

For you gobbo players, would you rather have common gobbos have a lower point cost so that they are fielded more, or for them to have 'special options' like night goblins?

Tokamak
26-04-2010, 18:03
Common goblins are far cooler than night goblins.They don't need special stuff, a lower point cost would be welcome though.

Col. Dash
26-04-2010, 19:34
I use a single unit in my otherwise night goblin weighted army. I have two units of wolf riders and 2 spider rider units, but i wanted justification for using common goblin leaders. I have a common goob BSB currently with the red banner. This unit has shields and bows and marches in the middle behind the main two blocks of NG infantry using the red banner to support the army. Tempted to use them with the spider banner and put them back and in between the two units to shoot. Theres only 20 though.

Urgat
26-04-2010, 20:15
Just a quick question:

For you gobbo players, would you rather have common gobbos have a lower point cost so that they are fielded more, or for them to have 'special options' like night goblins?

How about both? I wish they could get things that reflect their raider status. Fire arrows would be great for them, the lill' buggers are known for torching towns, no (yeah, ok, not more not less than any other greenskin, but that's the only idea I got)? Just cheaper won't make them be more interesting than ng+nets+/orfanatics different combinations.

ghostline
27-04-2010, 17:38
I'd prefer cheaper point cost. Like 2 points for a common goblin with Light Armor, Hand Weapon, and Shield, or Bow. No special options. Being able to field 500 in a 2,000 pt game is a nice special ability in itself :).