PDA

View Full Version : Hun Army

ftayl5
25-04-2010, 10:33
Hey, I've been recently inspired to do a 'Hun' army, inspired by 'Mulan.' I'm wondering whether Ogres or Chaos Warriors (but just marauder choices) would fit better. I don't care which is more playable or anything, I'm concerned an all marauder army with no marks or beasties would be very boring and weak, an ogre army is what I'm leaning towards.
I have been using ogres for 2 years but would love to make everything 'hun-y'
Any ideas or opinions?

Condottiere
25-04-2010, 11:21
Considering the imagery, Ogres would be a better fit, though where you'll find ponies that will voluntarily carry them ...

Maybe a larger scale Shetland pony. Rhinoxes I think are too large, and probably too expensive.

Grom Wronghand
25-04-2010, 11:22
The problem with that is that ancient Hunnic peoples were renowned for their use of cavalry, specifically horse archers. Ogres, obviously, have no such thing. Chaos Marauders could work though, but there would be a lack of variety.

kormas
25-04-2010, 11:25
hmm, have you considered gobbos?, there was an amazing tread somewhere in the fantasy plog forum about mongoblins, a guy converted up his goblin army to be mongols, i know it isnt exactly the same as the huns (actualy it would be rather different) but it still is an idea for cool conversion ideas.

i am not sure how an ogre army would work, i would be kmore towards the WOC, also i think that mulan had the mongols?, dunno fi teh huns got anywhere near china :)

Davo
25-04-2010, 11:27
Hobgoblin heavy Chaos Dwarf army is the closest I can think of. Mounted marauders would work but be a little boring and they don't have bows. The imagery is all there with Ogres but not in there fighting style.

Mithras69
25-04-2010, 11:28
I think Gobbo wolf riders would be the best fit for a Hun army. But if you would like to convert & play Ogres then I'd say go for it!

Davo
25-04-2010, 11:30
I think Gobbo wolf riders would be the best fit for a Hun army. But if you would like to convert & play Ogres then I'd say go for it!

Or indeed, this. That will be one hell of a lot of wolf boyz to assemble and paint but it would look fitting and pretty cool. Especially with a few simple conversions.

Condottiere
25-04-2010, 11:39
I like Hobgoblin Wolfriders, but they look sneaky; those guys in Mulan looked dangerous.

Leogun_91
25-04-2010, 12:16
Kurgan or Hun Marauders would be the best fit, you don't need to skip marks though, that's not needed. Obviously the Boss has been gifted with a magical falcon by Tzeentch and many others have unatural feriocity gifted by Khorne or an uncanny resilience gifted by Grandfather Nurgle.

Griefbringer
25-04-2010, 12:37
DoW army consisting only of light cavalry would probably be the closest you can get to the historical Huns. Or a Kislev army consisting mainly of horse archers.

Davo
25-04-2010, 12:46
DoW army consisting only of light cavalry would probably be the closest you can get to the historical Huns. Or a Kislev army consisting mainly of horse archers.

If Atilla and his top cronies had Chaos Armour the hordes may have swept right through Europe.

Makaber
25-04-2010, 12:48
An obvious solution would be to take a lot of Marauders and Chaos Ogres in a Warriros of Chaos force. I also don't think you should be too scared about mixing in some Warriors, after all the segmentation between "Marauder" and "Warrior" is a lot more fixed in the rules than in the actual background. Getting some chariots, for example, only using heavily armoured Marauders as crew, would work like a charm.

Oh, and you could get some wicked oriental-looking Dragon Ogres!

Shadow_Steed
25-04-2010, 18:29
I have always wanted to do a Goth army, like the one that sacked Rome, but my will sack The Empire. So far I have 5 Marauder Horsemen, painted in neutral colours, the shields all painted in different colours. I think The Marauder Horsemen are much more Germanic than eastern but with some conversion, eg add bows etc it would work very well as a hunn army! I love historically themed warhammer armies!

Mithras69
25-04-2010, 18:38
\Or a Kislev army consisting mainly of horse archers.

Hadn't thought of Kislev horse archers, they would fit you theme perfectly. You could model them from marauders (give them bows) and then use the Kislev rules.

Kalandros
25-04-2010, 18:54
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=54908

could interest you

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj61/Arn_Khraidour/baggycolour1.jpg

ftayl5
25-04-2010, 21:57
Thanks for all the replies, it looks like a DoW army would work well, but I'll probably stick with Ogres so the converting I'll do is going into a 35pt Ogre not a 5pt goblin/marauder or whatever.

I've actually made fluff for the army too, sort of half chinese, half hun, half mulan, half ogre (yes i know thats 4 halves). The story (basically) is that when the great maw came, and all the other ogres fled to teh mountains, these guys went up to the eastern steppes of cathay, they were allied with the cathayan's and helped fight the Hung marauder tribes. But, there was a disagreement in payment, and the ogres rebelled, and took control of nearly all of cathay that isnt protected by the bastion

Now years later, the latest tyrant of the Hun's is ShanYu, who single handedly gut barged through the bastion and ransaked cathay, only to be foiled (by a stupid girl), and (instead of being blown up) ran away with what remained of his army to begin plotting once more

The army will be made up of tyrants, few butchers, bruisers, bulls, guts, gnoblars, no rhinoxes or yhetees or gorgers, maneaters will be nigh mandatory, probably no giants, hunters yes, but with a giant bow not a giant crossbow, this guy will represent the archer in the movie who survives the avalanche and kills one of the messengers for the sake of it.

ShanYu will be represnted by a bruiser or tyrant (depend on points level) he has a sword gnoblar (hayabusa (the eagle)) and a cathayan LS, in fact everything that can take a longsword will have one.

ChaosVC
26-04-2010, 04:02
Well some historian speculates and suggest that the Huns were perhaps a central asian nomardic tribe that was forced or pushed west ward, directly by or indirectly, by the defeated Xiongnu empire(another nomadic eastern people) after the Xiongnu lost their wars against the Han Dynasty(china) and were force to move westward themselves.

~PrometheuS~
26-04-2010, 04:10
Orges would eat horses.... so marauders might be way to go

Darkspear
26-04-2010, 04:13
The Huns are descended from defeated Xiongnu fled west. They then eventually interacted with the central asian people and finally pushed to the west in 240 A.D.

ChaosVC
26-04-2010, 08:25
The Huns are descended from defeated Xiongnu fled west. They then eventually interacted with the central asian people and finally pushed to the west in 240 A.D.

Actually this is still debated among historians, there is little to no evidence that the two are connected or related though there are lots of debate about the language.

Revlid
26-04-2010, 08:37
Orcs & Goblins: Ton of Wolfriders. A moustachioed and/or fur-hatted Giant. I like this best.

Warriors of Chaos: Ton of Marauder Horsemen. Some Chaos Knights, or Marauder Infantry if you swing that way. I'd recommend Undivided, with some Slaanesh for gatherers of trophies and Khorne for blood-raiders.

Ogres: No real alteration in theme here, to be honest. They're pretty hunny to begin with.

ftayl5
26-04-2010, 09:36
yeah I'll stick with ogres as if they pretty much are huns, just up scale and too big to have a horse and almost fast enough to need one.

Zestyfork
27-04-2010, 21:18
Some Dark Riders with some minor Conversions could look good.