PDA

View Full Version : Help for a new Chaos player.

pyromaster55
25-04-2010, 17:34
A friend of mine has decided to start playing chaos and is looking for a good place to start. He's found a pretty good package deal that has a Battle force, squad of termies and Daemon prince, and I have a Razorback that we will chaos up into a Rhino enough berzerkers to make 2 squads of 10, and enough chaos space marines to round out that 5 man squad to 10.

So as it stands he will be running

Daemon prince (with wings probably)

possessed marines

termies

squad of berzerkers in rhino

squad of berzerkers in rhino

squad of marines

squad of marines

We don't have the codex yet so if anyone has a rough estimate on the points total and any changes that should be made or additions later on that would be much appreciated. Also remember that most of this is coming as a packaged deal and the rest is free. I figured next would be a land raider or predator or two for some ranged anti-armor.

technotemplar
25-04-2010, 18:20
Lemme break out the calculator :P

Prince w/ wings 130

5 Terminators 150

5 Possesed Marines 130

5 Khorne Bez. in Rhino 140

5 Khorne Bez. in Rhino 140

5 Chaos Marines 75

5 Chaos Marines 75

Roughly 840 pts assuming you use the numbers I gave above. Keep in mind this doesnt include special weapons/squad leaders, etc...which you are going to want some of (particularly on the vanilla Marines)

pyromaster55
25-04-2010, 18:29
sweet sounds good.

the squads of bez and marines are 10 man squads.

can standard chaos marines take lascannons? we'll probably be shooting at 1250 to 1500 points and he will need some anti-tank at that game size.

Thanks for the help, I know nothing about chaos marines.

Dvnjhn
25-04-2010, 19:36
Cant take lascannons - but can take melta guns. For anti tank - I would suggest 3 obllts at 225 pts. This way after you have taken out any mech, you can bast high armoured troops with a Plasma cannon, or decimate normal troops with bolters. For anti troop tell him to get a defiler as they make mincemeat of all apart from termies.

pyromaster55
25-04-2010, 19:41
kk, i think the oblits are cool he may like that.

yanlou
25-04-2010, 20:03
csm sqauds can take lascannons, along with autocannon, heavy bolter, missile launcher, so if you have a 10 man squad you could give it a special weapon, like plasma gun, melta gun, flamer and a heavy weapon, but i agree about oblits

technotemplar
26-04-2010, 04:06
Make the Prince a psyker with Lash, he wont regret it

pyromaster55
26-04-2010, 04:21
i've heard alot about it but I'm not sure what it does, also does anyone have any experience with possessed? what is their role/ are they good at it?

Eulenspiegel
26-04-2010, 05:05
Most players would say the best use for Possessed is for conversion bitz ;)

Some (this being the internet) swear by them. They are a shock/assault unit that requires a Rhino to function properly.
If you look at their rules and say "meh", you can still use them as Champions or to bolster the warrior or Berzerker units.

Lash of Submission is a psychic power that annoys your opponent to no end. It basically allows you to move one of their units. YouŽll see if you get the codex.
Seeing as you have a strong core of Berzerkers, you might not want a Sorcerer Lord purely for fluff reasons, though.

pyromaster55
26-04-2010, 05:14
I did indeed look at their (possessed) stat line and thought to myself "meh", can they deepstrike?

this is his first 40k army so i think he's just building the army to save money, and i think he'll get a feel for the game and come up with a playing style later.

boardbox
26-04-2010, 05:25
No they can't deepstrike and for a starter I think I'd stay away from them anyway. It's an expensive unit to field and zerkers probably accomplish the same tasks with greater efficiency.

Finn
26-04-2010, 07:20
Make the Prince a psyker with Lash, he wont regret it

Please no.
Maybe he won't regret it because it'll do things that help him win, BUT-

I strongly suggest picking your (his) flavor of Daemon Prince based on feel, not for the "omgbbq" factor of some power you've heard about. You can make a lot of viable DP builds without using Lash.

As that list stands, you're looking at about 1100 before any unit upgrades.
I would encourage use of combiweapons in the terminator squad, and avoid plasma pistols in the berzerker squads. If he wants to continue running them, I strongly suggest picking up a Land Raider to get them to combat.

I haven't tried using my possessed models yet. I always choose some other unit over them, typically terminators or noise marines.

technotemplar
26-04-2010, 10:35
i've heard alot about it but I'm not sure what it does, also does anyone have any experience with possessed? what is their role/ are they good at it?

It allows you to move an opponents unit just by passing a psyker test. Its a good power and def. worth it unless your friend is making a Khorne themed army or something.

I dont have much experience using possesed, but I have fought them and have to say they arent anything too scary (I imainge if they are lucky enough to roll for power weps they may be, but the random abilities thing hurts them)

ICEMANQ
26-04-2010, 11:31
Slaaneshi prince with Warp Time ftw.

You strike before everything else and due to the wording of Warp Time you don't have to use the ability if you like the to hit rolls you get first time around!

Brother Nidus
26-04-2010, 11:51
You have a fairly decent army there. with 4 troops choices (Berzerkers and Marines) you have plenty of capacity for taking objectives. The possessed will work well on the flanks as a distraction unit, trying to coax a few enemy units to deal with them.

i would suggest you put the Marine squads in the rhinos as the berzerkers can't assault when they disembark, however the Marines CAN rapid fire and 40 bolter shots can ruin anyone's day. The berzerkers can follow up behind as they'll be shielded by the nice scary tanks and can keep up if you Run them in the shooting phase. after the marines opening salvoes the berzerkers charge forward and mop up the rest while the marines jump back in the rhinos and gun for objectives.

For the terminators i'd suggest equipping them with combi-meltas and a heavy flamer. It's only 5 pts each and if you can deep strike them behind enemy armour, cracking the rear armour values with the one shot meltas should take the pressure off your troops. Then go infantry hunting with the heavy flamer and bolters.

The daemon prince is tricky. He's big and easily targeted as he can't hide in squads. best bet is go with the wings and keep him behind cover till you're in range to assault.

Going forward the Land Raider would be good to put a berzerker squad in as it's an assault vehicle so they CAN assault as soon as they disembark and a raider rush is very hard to counter. If your looking for long ranged support then a predator is a good option, but i reckon your force could use a vindicator it's close range weapons suit an assault orientated force and its demolisher cannon can bust through anything.

hope this advice helps, Glory to Chaos!!

Nidus

pyromaster55
26-04-2010, 14:25
You have a fairly decent army there. with 4 troops choices (Berzerkers and Marines) you have plenty of capacity for taking objectives. The possessed will work well on the flanks as a distraction unit, trying to coax a few enemy units to deal with them.

i would suggest you put the Marine squads in the rhinos as the berzerkers can't assault when they disembark, however the Marines CAN rapid fire and 40 bolter shots can ruin anyone's day. The berzerkers can follow up behind as they'll be shielded by the nice scary tanks and can keep up if you Run them in the shooting phase. after the marines opening salvoes the berzerkers charge forward and mop up the rest while the marines jump back in the rhinos and gun for objectives.

For the terminators i'd suggest equipping them with combi-meltas and a heavy flamer. It's only 5 pts each and if you can deep strike them behind enemy armour, cracking the rear armour values with the one shot meltas should take the pressure off your troops. Then go infantry hunting with the heavy flamer and bolters.

The daemon prince is tricky. He's big and easily targeted as he can't hide in squads. best bet is go with the wings and keep him behind cover till you're in range to assault.

Going forward the Land Raider would be good to put a berzerker squad in as it's an assault vehicle so they CAN assault as soon as they disembark and a raider rush is very hard to counter. If your looking for long ranged support then a predator is a good option, but i reckon your force could use a vindicator it's close range weapons suit an assault orientated force and its demolisher cannon can bust through anything.

hope this advice helps, Glory to Chaos!!

Nidus

Very helpful.

Like I said this is his first army and I know nothing of chaos. Our idea for the berzerkers in rhinos was a fast assault force, blasting the rhinos in then dumping the bez's and shielding them for a turn, then assaulting. While using the marines (with lascannon and flamer) to sit on objectives closer to his table edge and blow stuff up from afar. but maybe change that lascannon to a melta and use them in the rhinos like you said to shield the bez's. He's also looking into sticking Kharn in with one of the Bez squads because he loves the model. I'm sure we'll play a few games before we set anything in stone, but its nice to get differing opinions. His primary opponent is me with a semi mech eldar list, and we aren't going to be super competitive, more of a just for fun deal. At about 1100 points without upgrades we can stick a tank in there, either a pred or vindicator, he also likes the defiler, and that should put him up to about 1500 points (few tweaks here and there). Not bad for only being in it about $160.

Thanks for all the help guys, and in the next month or two look for a new chaos project log and battle reports!

Finn
26-04-2010, 22:08
Very helpful.

Like I said this is his first army and I know nothing of chaos. Our idea for the berzerkers in rhinos was a fast assault force, blasting the rhinos in then dumping the bez's and shielding them for a turn, then assaulting. While using the marines (with lascannon and flamer) to sit on objectives closer to his table edge and blow stuff up from afar. but maybe change that lascannon to a melta and use them in the rhinos like you said to shield the bez's. He's also looking into sticking Kharn in with one of the Bez squads because he loves the model. I'm sure we'll play a few games before we set anything in stone, but its nice to get differing opinions. His primary opponent is me with a semi mech eldar list, and we aren't going to be super competitive, more of a just for fun deal. At about 1100 points without upgrades we can stick a tank in there, either a pred or vindicator, he also likes the defiler, and that should put him up to about 1500 points (few tweaks here and there). Not bad for only being in it about $160.

Thanks for all the help guys, and in the next month or two look for a new chaos project log and battle reports!

Kharn will serve him well.

technotemplar
27-04-2010, 01:18
Best of luck to ya! If you ever fight Blood Angels do me the favor of posting a bat rep :P I havent had much chance to face Chaos with my favorite Angels, curious to see how they match up

Repentant Son
27-04-2010, 02:27
Mark of Nurgle w/ Warptime for a daemon prince is grossly disgusting for your opponent to deal with, throw in some wings and it can tear through a good chunk of the opponents army.

Plague marines are great for holding objectives, you might want to put just one in there simply for that purpose - one squad to hold your home objective, and your berzerkers to go steal their objective.

Sorcerors w/ lash is pretty useful, and Teminator or Jump Pack really helps depending on the role you want him to be in.

Agnar the Howler
27-04-2010, 02:55
I'm surprised, almost 20 posts and i've seen 1 fleeting comment about getting the codex.

To Do List:
1) Buy Chaos Space Marines Codex
2) Use advice to make an army list
3) Post army list in the Army Lists subforum
4) Make changes as required.

General comments about things can only get you so far without a proper army list, and to make that you need the codex!

Johnnyfrej
27-04-2010, 04:38
Killer 2k Khorne list I have had awesome success with and have gotten several other locals to start with:

-Daemon Prince with Wings and Warptime

-3 units of 3 Terminators with 2 Combimeltas/1 HF/1 PF

-6 units of 8 Berzerkers, Sarge w/ PW and Icon(5/6 have Icon) in Rhinos w/ Dozer Blades

-2 Possessed Vindicators

pyromaster55
27-04-2010, 17:25
I'm surprised, almost 20 posts and i've seen 1 fleeting comment about getting the codex.

To Do List:
1) Buy Chaos Space Marines Codex
2) Use advice to make an army list
3) Post army list in the Army Lists subforum
4) Make changes as required.

General comments about things can only get you so far without a proper army list, and to make that you need the codex!

He's new to 40k, I'm not.

The point of the thread is that he is going to have:
1 deamon prince
1 squad of terminators
1 squad of possessed
2 squads of CSM
2 squads of Bez
2 rhinos
because he's getting them as a package deal, and I am trying to figure out if he can build a decent 1500 point list without spending alot of money. He can't just go buy the codex and build an army unit by unit like most people do because we are poor college students. So yes, he will be buying the codex as well as another vehicle or two. The army list will probably not end up on the sub forums because he will probably end up turning it into a plog and you will see it more than a few times in battle reports once we get it all together.