PDA

View Full Version : Leman russ demolisher vs medusa

High speed low drag
25-04-2010, 17:43
Hi guys i am thinking of running a unit of 3 tanks in my 1500 points IG engineer regiment and am wondering what the general consenus is upon the diffrences between the leman runn demolisher and the medusa seige mortar

Bunnahabhain
25-04-2010, 18:09
Demolishers are scary tanks, which are hard to stop, and sponson options.

Medusas are horribly vulnerable, AV12, open topped. The extra 12" range and slight points break simply isn't worth the drop in armour to my mind. If you want range, get proper range- 48"+

Archangel_Ruined
25-04-2010, 18:11
The demolisher kicks out a hell of a lot more firepower and is much more survivable, but then you pay a hefty chunk of points more for it. If you're planning to sit back and defend your tanks then the medusas are a nice points saving. If you're planning on using them as an offensive unit then the demolishers really are hands down better, heavy bolters all round and the pie plate is scary enough and as cheap as you'd want to run them.

scopedog91
25-04-2010, 20:13
As long as those weark AV12 Meddies have somewhere to hide, fine.
The demolisher is a far better choice,
I will nver play without one. Besides, all the great options in the Leman Demolisher tank are fantastic, and the switchable sponson/gun options make it one of the greatest GW kits for us Guard players in years...

ehlijen
26-04-2010, 01:11
If you want the big pie plate, demolishers all around. If you are ok with the small blast, a medusa with breacher shells makes for a nice sniping platform.

Raven Down
26-04-2010, 01:19
Demolisher over Medusa anytime, Hell I'd rather take Manticore's over both of them

ehlijen
26-04-2010, 05:29
Manticores? Those things with barely any AP and still no more armour than a medusa? They may be kinda neat, but they're not in the same class of killyness as the demolisher.

Vaktathi
26-04-2010, 05:33
Manticores? Those things with barely any AP and still no more armour than a medusa? They may be kinda neat, but they're not in the same class of killyness as the demolisher.

Depends on what you're going for. For AT, the Manticore will generally be superior. For anti-infantry, against anything in cover the Manticore will be better, and against anything not in power armor it'll be superior. Depending on scatter, it'll still be pretty decent against power armor. S10 with 3 blasts but not penetrating armor versus S10 1 blast penetrating armor. And you can hit stuff on the other side of the board.

nagash66
26-04-2010, 07:46
+ for Manticore, the best anti transport+ units hiding behind it tank in the game, also geat vs orc hordes, or even lots of 3+ if they are bunch together.

I mean most of the time they get a 4+ for cover anyone so i rather have loads of wounds on there 3+.

Bunnahabhain
26-04-2010, 10:23
Also, as the Manticore is not open topped, it does effectively have more armour than the medusa... that +1 on damage tables is lethal.

Archangel_Ruined
26-04-2010, 10:31
You can put the enclosed crew compartment on to stop that, but it's a bugger to model, expensive to buy and puts the model ever closer to the points cost of a demolisher. At 150pts I'd take a standard russ anyway, a battlecannon is scary enough 95% of the time and has 'reach out and smack you round the head' range. Backed up with 3 heavy bolters it's a tasty weapon and sits happily between the costs and abilities of the choices you're musing.

ehlijen
26-04-2010, 11:59
Don't forget 2+ save models. Even in cover, a demolisher or medusa will be better at killing them then a manticore which spreads it's blasts around (and is not even guaranteed to get more than one blast).

And no, against vehicles I call the breaker medusa superior to the manticore. The russ is worse offensivly, but still wins either contest through thicker armour.

duffybear1988
26-04-2010, 12:11
Take the demolisher every time... I frequently play a friend who runs mech guard with a medusa and it does nothing every game as its either dead early on or stunnded for most of the game. The demolisher has much better armour so doesnt have to worry quite so much.

Raven Down
26-04-2010, 12:14
Depends on what you're going for. For AT, the Manticore will generally be superior. For anti-infantry, against anything in cover the Manticore will be better, and against anything not in power armor it'll be superior. Depending on scatter, it'll still be pretty decent against power armor. S10 with 3 blasts but not penetrating armor versus S10 1 blast penetrating armor. And you can hit stuff on the other side of the board.

Exactly, I prefer Manticore's to any other piece of Guard Armor.If their being exposed to enemy fire your using them wrong.The only point I can award Demolishers for is the AP advangtage,But if Power Armor is in the open and in the Demolishers short range (Yes I count 24" as Short) your opponent isn't very bright or is simply unlucky.

Volchek
26-04-2010, 12:41
Why not Griffons instead of the Medusa? Reroll Scatter, 75pts per vehicle, 48" range.

Take 2 Demolishers in separate squadrons and then a squadron of 3 Griffons for arty support. Park the Griffons in cover and out of LOS as much as possible and blast away.

Commissar Vaughn
26-04-2010, 14:12
Griffons FTW. Though I use 'em to back up 2 mbts and 3 devildogs...

Archangel_Ruined
26-04-2010, 22:07
Nobody seems to be too keen on the standard russ here, strange. I'd also agree with keeping any russ variant in 1 vehicle units, vehicle squadron rules really aren't helpful if you intend on moving. Not so bad for artillery models though, the only real benefit is more big guns though, so if you've got the slots free then use them.