PDA

View Full Version : Guess the contents of the new "BFSP"

_Ashdil_
25-04-2010, 19:09
Now first of, no there will be no new BFSP... but with 8th edition we dont know yet what they will call it, and to not write down too long a name for this thread i went with that. (with warseer you can never be to careful with what you write!)

We can all assume that the box will include HE and Skaven, and probably look similar to BFSP. In how many models it will include, and what type of models. So with all this in mind. What do you think we will see in the box?

This is mu guess, and hopes for the box!

HE
core
10-20 acrhers
15-25 Spearelves or

15-30 Lother sea guard. There where roumors when HE 7ed came out of new Lothern sea guard models, here is me hoping that we will see them in this box! With the new rules they will be awesome! Allways shoot in 2 ranks, allways fight back with 3 ranks! And thier high I will also make them hit first even if charged (if the new I rules come true)

with that base I move on to specials.

there could be 5-10 silver helms. But I hope more for either plastic WL or SM. As WL already have models in the form of a chariot, I can see how GW use that as a base to make normal WL aswell. The models look great and would be a great addition to the box, and HE in general.

So I will be hoping for 10 White lions and 5 silver helms.

for rare, a plastic eagle would make HE players everywhere jump high in the sky and buy 2-3 boxes!

then round of with a mage and commander and done.

For Skaven:

core:
40 clanrats
20 slaves
perhaps swarms and/or giant rats

specials
harder to guess, but as rat ogres are not the first choice for many, and so does not sell as well as say PM I guess they will include 2-3 rat ogres. so that people will try them out, and they will sell PM anyway...

would be cool with globaidiers or warplock jezzails, but I guees we wont see them sadly.

For rare, hard to guess, the only unit that seems to be close enough and easy enough to do, is the plague catapult, I dont belive in a models for the abomination, and the others already have nice models.

add in some characters, some weapon teams and then you have a nice box!

As I play both armies I am really looking forward to this box! And I will probably by 2 of them, no matter what's in it.

Davo
25-04-2010, 19:25
Battle for Skull Pass had:-

For Goblins-
2 Characters
4 Core (including one cavalry unit)
1 Rare

73 Models overall.

For Dwarves-
2 Characters
2 Core
2 Special

36 Models overall

(If i remember correctly)

What makes you think that they will be giving more special and rare options in the new starter set? Genuine question, not being snarky.

bigcheese76
25-04-2010, 19:43
I dont think there will be as much in the new box as you are hoping. GW will put in the smallest amount they can get away with and stll have a large enough profit margin, so it will be about the same in terms of core, special and rare as the current BFSP. Alot of the sales they will get though will be for the rulebook, which Im hoping they will still include (although with the current rulebook rumours, I dont know).

GuyLeCheval
25-04-2010, 20:12
Helfs:

15 spearman, 10 archers, hippogryph, probably some more elitetroops, mage, silver helms me thinks

Skaven: 10 stormvermin, 49 clanrats, 3 weapon teams, chieftain.

genesis873
25-04-2010, 20:19
Yeah there will probably be less overall since elves are much larger than dwarfs and I imagine the skaven might be a bit bigger than the goblins.

For elves, I don't know much about there list but it is rumoured that a griffon will be in it. I could see them putting in seaguard so they can avoid having both archers and spearmen, and could just put in seagurad instead. (They are the ones with spears and bows right?) Probably 5 cavalry of some sort, and maybe a bolt throw and one of the high elf specials.
So:
~15-20 Seaguard
5 silver helms
10 swordmasters
1 Bolt Thrower
1 Prince (maybe on griffen)
1 mage
Total:33-38

For skaven I would guess:

40 clanrats
2 weapons teams (hopefully the mortar and the close combat one)
2-3 rat ogres
8 poison wind globadiers (I hope)
1 Chieftain
1 Warlock

snottlebocket
25-04-2010, 20:23
I'm guessing the elves will take care of cavalry, warmachines, archery and flying game mechanics.

The skaven sound good for psychology mechanics, frenzy and hatred. Skirmishers. Monstrous infantry and possible sacrificial troops.

So with that in mind I'm guessing the elves get a griffon, pegasus or eagle, archers, spearmen, boltthrowers and some form of cavalry.

Skaven I'm guessing plague monks, censer bearers, clanrats or slaves. Rat ogres, maybe some weapon teams.

It covers as many game mechanics as possible.

_Ashdil_
25-04-2010, 20:40
Battle for Skull Pass had:-

For Goblins-
2 Characters
4 Core (including one cavalry unit)
1 Rare

73 Models overall.

For Dwarves-
2 Characters
2 Core
2 Special

36 Models overall

(If i remember correctly)

What makes you think that they will be giving more special and rare options in the new starter set? Genuine question, not being snarky.

I dont think there will be more models, not by any large marging anyway. So many of my ideas are "this or that", not both, so eaither spears+ archers or 2 smaller seaguard units. for skaven a rare seems more unlikely when I think about it. But 60 rats, plus an ogre or two and perhaps something else, seems not to be so far from the truth.
But I think there will be more HE then dwarfs from the old box. As they are not as hard as dwarfs, and need somewhat bigger numbers to be on equal terms with a much bigger skaven force. I think T4 for dwarfs cut down thier model count by 10 atleast.

Deff Mekz
25-04-2010, 21:15
1) Where is the Griffon in your lists!
2) Seaguard have been confirmed aleady.
3) No Skaven Weapon Teams? Already been confirmed as being in the starter.

Harry has said that Pjschard and I have come the closest to guessing the actual box contents. Here were our lists.

Mine:
20 skaven clanrats with shield and spear, full command
20 skaven clanrats with Shield and spear, full command
20 skaven slaves with slings
Rat Ogre(s) w/ Handler
Weapon Team *2
Warlock Engineer
Warlord
Harry also said the Skaven would be more than just rats and more rats with guns. I orginally thought he just meant Rat Ogres, but now I think he's hiding something

10 Swordmasters full command
10 seaguard full command
10 seaguard full command
5 Silver Helms
Special character hero on Griffon
Mage

Psjchard's:
20 skaven clanrats with shield and spear, full command
20 skaven clanrats with Shield and spear, full command
20 skaven slaves with slings
10 Giant rats with Handler
1 Rat Ogre
with Handler
One bone breaker Rat Ogre
Warpfire thrower *2
Warlock Engineer
Warlord

8 Swordmasters full command
12 seaguard full command
12 seaguard full command
5 Ellyrian Reavers
Hero on Griffin (new profile to be added to high elf list)
Mage on Foot

Cheers, Deff.

duffybear1988
25-04-2010, 21:24
hmmmm what about new plastic night runners/gutter runners? that would give the starter set some skirmishers??

Tae
25-04-2010, 21:27
Given the amount of value you get from the AoBR 40k starter I can see GW being some what generous in terms of the WFB one.

That said, I think it'll be somewhat similar to the current one. Personally I would think it's somewhat similar to what Deff has put blow, though I think it'll be one big unit of Sea Guard rather than two smaller ones. And there will be one unit of archers as well. And I think there wont be any slaves, only clan rats.

But apart from that, pretty similar I think.

_Ashdil_
25-04-2010, 21:29
I did mention weapon teams, read the second line from the bottom. :)

I alos thought that the griffon had been said to be untrue. Thats why I did not include it. Otherwise it seems I come close aswell. I do hope for white lions rather then swordmasters. More beocue I have SM already then anything else. Seaguard as a "fact" is a really nice thing to hear! I had missed that roumor!

w3rm
25-04-2010, 21:31
I say

20 Clanrats with Spears
20 Clanrats with Spears
20 Slaves with slings
Plagueclaw Catapult
Cheiftain
Warlock
Rat Ogres
2 Weapon Teams

15 Spearmen
15 Archers
10 Swordmasters
Eagle
5 Silver Helms
Noble
Mage

Deff Mekz
25-04-2010, 22:03
Ah so you did mention them sorry.

rodmillard
25-04-2010, 22:15
I'm guessing one (or both) of the weapon teams will be a poison wind mortar, since they fire as stonethrowers with 6-24" range, and can therefore be used to teach war machine rules without *actually* including a war machine.

Since HE are getting a griffon, I wouldn't be surprised to see a mount of some kind in the Skaven force - most likely a bonebreaker (better counterpart to the griffon) but conceivable a war-litter or great pox rat.

I think we may see some kind of skirmish unit on the skaven side as well - gutter runners would be most likely, although plague censer bearers are also an option (frenzy) - IMO poison wind globadiers are the least likely of the three, although it would fit with the mortar if there is one.

ftayl5
25-04-2010, 23:49
Gobbos got a troll, dwarfs didnt get a 40mm base thing so why would skaven if helfs are?

I reckon they'll try to minimize model count, but maximise point value, so even slaves will have eqipment, full command for everything

I'm confused as how they'll use the griffon since HE heroes cant ride griffons, only lords can so........ yeah

If you pretend you can do that then a grffon costs 200pts so thats about 400left for the army (I'm assuming thers gonna be 600pt armies like BFSP)

Noble on griffon(illegal) 285pts
Mage (with Lore of Fire) 100pts

15 Spearmen, FC, 160pts
10 Seaguard FC, shield, 155pts

thats 700pts! so I'm guessing the griffon is used else-whise or the pt level is going up
or maybe theres no mage, but thats unlikely

w3rm
26-04-2010, 00:09
I highly highly highly doubt there is going to be a Griffin I don't care what the Rumor Buffs say. I cannot see them putting a lord in a starter set especially a terror causing monstrous mount...

ftayl5
26-04-2010, 00:18
yeah, and the griffon sounds especially dumb with the new 25% character thingy. 285pts is totally less than 25% of 600pts, its more than a thrid!

My only solution is if teh points value goes up, which I don't think it would be as it seems GW wants to put as little in it as possible

Phelix
26-04-2010, 00:20
My guess

Skaven vs Beastmen

It doesn't have to be Good vs Evil, 5th editions started was Lizardmen vs Bretonnia, and Skaven & Beastmen are the most recent races to come out (I think, I may just be having a brain fart and cant remember who else came out recently) So my guess is that they were designed with 8th edition in mind.

So my guess is either them (or one of the other armies to come out in the last year or so) or two armies that have not had a 7th edition release.

as for Content

~Skaven~
Chieftan
20 Clanrats
5-10 Gutter Runners (new plastic version)
5 Jezzails (new plastic version)
A weapon team (can be made as any of the four or five current weapon teams, sorry don't have my book on me)

~Beastmen~
Beastmen basic combat Hero choice (cant remember what it was called, I haven't played or faced beastmen in years)
15-20 Gors
15-20 Ungors
3 Minotaurs

LaughinGremlin
26-04-2010, 00:22
I tend to agree about the griffon not fitting within the paradigm - OR we can think outside of the box? :)

Lord (Kroak) knows!!!

Halelel
26-04-2010, 00:37
20 skaven clanrats full command
40 skaven slaves
10 plague monks or stormvermin
3 weapon teams
5 globadiers or plague censors or gutter runners
Warplock engineer
Warlord

(I could see them making a smaller, compact warp lightning cannon like the dwarf one in BFSP, maybe I am just secretly hoping for one)

20 spearmen full command
12 archers full command
8 seaguard full command
5 Silver Helms
War Eagle w/ character hero
Mage

Ramius4
26-04-2010, 01:21
Here's my guess for what it's worth...

20 Clanrats with shield and spear, full command
20 Night Runners with a Nightleader
20 Giant Rats with 4 Packmasters
5 Gutter Runners with Deathrunner
1 Poisoned Wind Mortar
1 Warp Grinder
Warlock Engineer
Warlord on Rat Ogre Bonebreaker

10 Archers full command
15 seaguard full command
5 Shadow Warriors
5 Silver Helms
Mage
Character on Griffon (only because that's what the rumor mongers say)

LordoftheBrassThrone
26-04-2010, 06:12
even thoough the rumours dont seem to support it, i would be shocked not to see some form of chaos in there. dwarfs vs goblins, empire vs orcs, bretts vs lizardmen and high elves vs goblins are the only ones i can remember. Have they ever had the ultimate evil in there? It would be similar to Black Reach if they did- super hard marines/chaos warriors vs hordey orks/ (goblins/skaven/empire etc).

Odin
26-04-2010, 13:35
I dont think there will be as much in the new box as you are hoping. GW will put in the smallest amount they can get away with and stll have a large enough profit margin, so it will be about the same in terms of core, special and rare as the current BFSP. Alot of the sales they will get though will be for the rulebook, which Im hoping they will still include (although with the current rulebook rumours, I dont know).

What makes you think they will do this? Recent starter sets have crammed a huge amount of quality models in, and my understanding is that GW actually make a loss (or at least very little profit) on them. They are "loss leaders" - i.e. GW don't make a profit on them, they use them to tempt people into the hobby, or tempt veterans to start a new army - then they make a profit from everything else those people go on to buy.

shredshredxx
26-04-2010, 22:57
this whole griffin thing has be wondering.

it makes me think that maybe it's a captured baby griffin to be used as an objective or something.

that'd make so much more sense.

Shadowsinner
27-04-2010, 01:40
ok ill put my wager in...

1x grey seer
1x warplock engineer

40x clanrats with one plastic warpfire crew and one plastic ratling gun crew
20x slaves

5x plastic globadiers
5x plastic jezzails

highelves get...

character on griffon
mage

15 spearmen
12 archers

5x silver helms
10x white lions

5x shadow warriors

Cypher, the Emperor
27-04-2010, 04:01
HE's:
15 Spearmen
20 Archers
one foot mage and one foot hero
plastic eagle

Skaven:
20 Clanrats
30 Slaves
one combat hero
one assassin
possibly five jezzails

The thing to remember is that this set is to intro new players, that means no complex rules, and probably no non-base book lores (the shaman in BFSP used lore of fire). So that basically puts out the idea of including an engineer.

This edition is supposed to bring the focus back to infantry, so I suspect the box will be about building up a good core of troops more than anything.

Dai-Mongar
27-04-2010, 04:24
HE's:
15 Spearmen
20 Archers
one foot mage and one foot hero
plastic eagle

Skaven:
20 Clanrats
30 Slaves
one combat hero
one assassin
possibly five jezzails

The thing to remember is that this set is to intro new players, that means no complex rules, and probably no non-base book lores (the shaman in BFSP used lore of fire). So that basically puts out the idea of including an engineer.

This edition is supposed to bring the focus back to infantry, so I suspect the box will be about building up a good core of troops more than anything.

That's really small. Considering the amount of goblins in BFSP, there's likely going to be a similar number of Skaven. I'd expect the Elves to be in similar numbers to the BFSP Dwarfs as well, except that they would get a cavalry unit like the goblins did before.
Also, you kind of solved your own problem with the Warlock. There's no reason he couldn't use the Lore of Fire as well.

snurl
27-04-2010, 09:03
It will most definately include at least one cool new model that you cannot get anywhere else.

Ovassilias
27-04-2010, 09:30
I'm confused as how they'll use the griffon since HE heroes cant ride griffons, only lords can so........ yeah

im gonna take a wild guess here and state that since a dark elf hero can ride a Manticore...the HE hero in the new book could be able to ride a Griffon.:shifty:

who knows...maybe with the new release we will get some FAQ's/errata's to help us out.

Leogun_91
27-04-2010, 09:58
Gobbos got a troll, dwarfs didnt get a 40mm base thing so why would skaven if helfs are?

I reckon they'll try to minimize model count, but maximise point value, so even slaves will have eqipment, full command for everything

If you pretend you can do that then a grffon costs 200pts so thats about 400left for the army (I'm assuming thers gonna be 600pt armies like BFSP)

Noble on griffon(illegal) 285pts
Mage (with Lore of Fire) 100pts

15 Spearmen, FC, 160pts
10 Seaguard FC, shield, 155pts

thats 700pts! so I'm guessing the griffon is used else-whise or the pt level is going up
or maybe theres no mage, but thats unlikely700pts isn't a horrible jump as both current forces can easily make 700pts armies (and the dwarfs can make even more if they max out their runes). No mage isn't unlikely, there is allready a great plastic set for one and then the Skavenforce could be given a warplock engineer instead, the mage could then be turned into a small elite unit.

HE
Griffonrider (Possibly Eltharion)
15 Seaguard (FC)
10-15 Archers (FC)
5 Silverhelms (FC)
(Translates fairly well to the dwarf force)

Skaven:
Chieftain (Greatweapon)
Warplock Engineer (Brace of Pistols, uses fire or possibly death in the booklet)
20Clanrats (Spears,shields,FC)
20Clanrats (Spears,shields,FC)
10-20 Gutter runners
A Ratogre or two.
10 Giant rats
(Translates fairly well to the goblin force)

Some terrain pieces and extra stuff, a pincushioned skaven is not unlikely.

ChaosVC
27-04-2010, 10:34
An AP 1 sword for the HE and skaven hero?

w3rm
27-04-2010, 17:07
I cant see them putting a Griffon in there. And I dont see them putting sea gaurd and archers in the same set. To much shooting.

FORtheGREATERgood
27-04-2010, 21:19
I'm sorry if it was already mentioned as I read most of the posts but not all of them, but why is everyone so sure it will be skaven and high elves? Did GW release something saying this? Or is it just a rumor?

Desert Rain
27-04-2010, 21:25
It's a rumour, but it has basically been confirmed by all the rumour guys.

Sea Guard and a Griffon are pretty much confirmed as well.