PDA

View Full Version : Powers of Old

ShaggothLord
25-04-2010, 19:38
We all know the strong armies of 7th edition (Daemons, Vampire Counts, and Dark Elves) but I'm curious: Which 3 armies were the big dogs in 6th edition? In fifth? I started with 7th edition so I'm completely curious.

Thanks,
SL

snottlebocket
25-04-2010, 19:47
Back in the 4th edition there was one huge box of magic item cards that was shared by every army. And every army had access to the same list of monster mounts. It meant anyone had the option of making really nasty characters.

High Elves were fairly nasty. Repeater boltthrowers were downright mean and they could bring whole rows of them.

Undead were a lot less nasty though. Kill the general and the whole army fell apart on the spot.

Havock
25-04-2010, 19:49
Except that their generals had 7's across the whole statline or something.

In 6th I believe Brets, Skaven SOD and tomb kings did fairly well.
The latter, back then, still had their 'unstoppable magic phase' :')

snottlebocket
25-04-2010, 19:52

They did. But every army could bring incredibly nasty things. Amulets that just take your character out of the game. Swords that kill in one hit. Hell the bloodthirster had a statline full of 10's and an axe that did d3 wounds.

Orcs and goblins had a banner that killed any mage that touched the banner instantly. A hoot against undead.

Xzazzarai
25-04-2010, 20:00

No they didn't, just Nagash did.

The rest were overall slightly stronger than a Vampire Lord.

Gork or Possibly Mork
25-04-2010, 20:13
For 6th I'd say Bretonnians, Skaven and maybe WoodElves.

I can recall those three dominating top 10 spots for tournaments fairly often.

I started playing in 6th so I wouldn't know about 5th or below.

Gaargod
25-04-2010, 20:14
They still had stats like a fricking dragon and then all the magic gear. They reduced most stuff in front of them to dust.

In 6th ed, dwarf gunlines were fairly hardcore, brettonian charge lines killed stuff good and skaven SOD was ridiculous.
Oh, and vampire counts were fun. As in, to play with or against.

Troah
25-04-2010, 21:26
Skaven SOD?

snottlebocket
25-04-2010, 21:42
Skaven SOD?

Skyre army of doom. Lots of engineers with warp lightning. Warp lightning canons. Ratling guns, jezzails.

Basically it had more firepower than a gunline. Magic matching the heaviest of magic based armies and when all was said and done... not a bad horde of infantry to back it up either.

Davo
25-04-2010, 22:23
Most dogs have had their day, particularly in 4th/5th with the huge stockpile of common magic items.

Dwarf gunlines have always been an absolute pain in the posterior though.

Gork or Possibly Mork
25-04-2010, 22:35
Skyre army of doom. Lots of engineers with warp lightning. Warp lightning canons. Ratling guns, jezzails.

Basically it had more firepower than a gunline. Magic matching the heaviest of magic based armies and when all was said and done... not a bad horde of infantry to back it up either.

I always thought it was SAD...Shooty Army of Doom.

w3rm
25-04-2010, 23:23
Its all the same thing.