PDA

View Full Version : WYSIWYG Question

Smiles.
25-04-2010, 20:07
Hey all!

I'm soon looking to start a new themed army using the Bloo dangels codex as a base, I've got a head full of ideas, one of which is:

If I don't want my models to have guns in their hands, then how would i represent the models having them without the actual guns on the model, I was thinking of magnetising them incase I face a picky player, this will be for a veteran squad, all equiped with the boltguns to fire the special ammo, If you faced me in a game and my Veterans didn't have the bolter on the model, but all the models withing the unit were equiped the same, would you care/mind?

Thanks in advance!

Just a note: It will be a completely themed army, and I'm trying to give the feeling that they are esentially shooting energy from thei finger tips, and given that you choose the type of ammunition you shoot each turn, I think this would be the perfect unit to model/use this way.

dragonet111
25-04-2010, 20:28
I wouldn't care WYSIWYG is fine but as long as everything remain clear I don't care if you are not WYSIWYG beside Astorath is supposed to have a bolt pistol and the bolt pistol is not on the model so WYSIWYG fine but not compulsory (at least between my friends and me).

thesheriff
25-04-2010, 21:27
As long as you tell your opponent, it's fine. However, there are some Nobs in GW Worcester (lol).
Oh and the red riding hood thing was just plain weird, I'm quite impressed I thought of it!

Ba'al Starslayer
25-04-2010, 21:38
WYSIWYG basically works for OPTIONS. Stuff that is written into the entry doesn't STRICTLY have to be represtented (Such as the Astorath example above, as with many others). If you were, say, to give this squad a Heavy Bolter (For the purposes of this example) then you'd need to represent it in a tournament environment.

bigcheese76
25-04-2010, 21:39
I would be fine with the WYSIWYG as long as it was fuly explained before the game. Although, magnets could be a good idea too, just for picky people or tournies.

Smiles.
25-04-2010, 21:39
To be fair mate, I've not played one knob in GW worcester, everyone really hasn't cared about WYSIWYG.

And Topic unrelated: It was good, but not apropriate.

Smiles.
25-04-2010, 21:40
WYSIWYG basically works for OPTIONS. Stuff that is written into the entry doesn't STRICTLY have to be represtented (Such as the Astorath example above, as with many others). If you were, say, to give this squad a Heavy Bolter (For the purposes of this example) then you'd need to represent it in a tournament environment.

I hadn't seen it in that way before, thanks ;)

Bestaltan
25-04-2010, 22:13
Well, as somebody who scratch built one of his Ork trukks out of two boar chariots (I figured four boars lashed to the thing would make it count as fast :p), I certainly have no problem with "counts as" models.

Also, things like that usually aren't even much of a problem at tournaments. As long as your opponent knows beforehand, and the models are consistent, it's what's called "making your army look unique".

Heck, if done right, that's gonna be a beautiful unit.

Project2501
26-04-2010, 00:02
I always apply the WYSIWYG rule to army lists, and only to actual models in-so-far as they are not modelled for advantage.

However, as this implies, I also always provide my list to my opponent and expect the same in return.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
26-04-2010, 01:49
just take a bits box full of bolters. If anyone cries about your lack of guns just place one on the bases no need to stick them down then when finished take the guns off the bases and back into your bits box

Tehkonrad
26-04-2010, 02:45
the Bloo dangels.

GO BLOO DANGELS!!!

No but seriously, go for it. Perhaps you could paint the 'energy glow' different for meltaguns, bolters, plasma cannons etc. If your opponents are likely to be of a nobbish persuasion, then just follow Bob Plisskins box-o'-bolters suggestion.

Shas'o Kais
26-04-2010, 03:57
In a game i wouldn't care, though if your opponents ask you you should them tell them specifically what they have.

Smiles.
26-04-2010, 06:16
GO BLOO DANGELS!!!

No but seriously, go for it. Perhaps you could paint the 'energy glow' different for meltaguns, bolters, plasma cannons etc. If your opponents are likely to be of a nobbish persuasion, then just follow Bob Plisskins box-o'-bolters suggestion.

Great Idea! thanks for the tip, although they will most likely be using the same weapons, but great idea incase I want to switch things up.

Simo429
26-04-2010, 07:24
any issues with this just provide a army list for your opponent, i normally do so anyway

[SD] Bob Plisskin
26-04-2010, 08:11
LOL I thought Bloo Dangles meant ultramarines....

gonzosbignose
26-04-2010, 08:17
Smiles...

There is atleast one nob at Games Workshop you just simply haven't played me yet!

And re 'counts as' as long as you have a clear definition of whats what, combined with a decent enough representation of upgrades, i dont see how anyone will have an issue.

Regards

My name is Daniel and I am a wargamer

Lord Damocles
26-04-2010, 09:24
Why don't you want to have guns on the models?

Pacifist Space Marines :confused:

[SD] Bob Plisskin
26-04-2010, 09:52
I'm trying to give the feeling that they are esentially shooting energy from thei finger tips

so shootyfist not pacifist

Bunnahabhain
26-04-2010, 10:21
I only see one problem with it.

Everyone knows when you see 'Glowing fists of DOOOOOOOM!' tm on space marines, then they are power fists. Doing anything else will cause widespread brain failure.

Seriously, can't see a problem with it. I recommend for any heavily themed and converted army, doing a reference sheet for your army though.

[Thumbnail picture of Unit type A] Normal unit name, list of standard equipment
Repeat for all units that might be confusable

Laminate it up, and leave on the side of the table for you opponent when you're using the army. Much confusion avoided.

Lord Damocles
26-04-2010, 10:21
Reads first post again.

And again.

And again.

Oh yeah. Ocular functions seem to be deteriorating... :o

Smiles.
26-04-2010, 17:07
Reads first post again.

And again.

And again.

Oh yeah. Ocular functions seem to be deteriorating... :o

Thanks, The word Ocular just gave me another sweet idea ;)

Laminate it up, and leave on the side of the table for you opponent when you're using the army. Much confusion avoided.

Good idea, think this may be esential.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
26-04-2010, 20:36
I used to colour code my bases depending on what Part of the FOC the squad was in. just the ring around the front and back. Maybe you could colour code bases depending on what weapon they have?

fisher368
26-04-2010, 21:13
wysiwyg i use and am picky about only in tournies

friendly games i dont care about