PDA

View Full Version : What's your worst 40k injury?

Bestaltan
26-04-2010, 00:57
So, as I sit here nursing my injured thumb, I got to thinking......How badly have you gotten hurt in 40k playing/building/driving to a tournament/other calamity.

For me, I think this thumb takes the cake. I was building my own deff rollas last night (sorry GW, but $1 lint removing rolls>>>> $18 kits). While I was cutting the rolls down to a more workable size, my modeling knife slipped. Problem was I had a lot of "umph" behind it, so I cut through a small portion of my thumbnail and kept cutting through the tip of my thumb about 4-5 mm deep. And of course, since it's a very clean cut, the sucker bled like crazy. My battlewagon got a little TOO red last night.

So let's hear it. Your trip to the gaming store end up a trip to the hospital? Glue more than 4 fingers together? Drop that modeling knife on your toe? How have you hurt yourself playing 40k?

technotemplar
26-04-2010, 01:05
Worst ive ever done was a nasty gash on the forearm cleaning up my Inquisitor Lord, got a little frustrated with the exacto knife, slipped, and bam there we go haha

chromedog
26-04-2010, 01:24
I keep stabbing myself on my clubmates CoD buildings (I don't use those stabby bits on mine at all).

As for cutting anything down to size - saws work better than modelling knives in most circumstances.

wazatdingder
26-04-2010, 01:25
I had just bought the new 3rd edition box set and was over at a buddies house where we were enjoying some of Bugman's brew while assembling the models. I pulled out my first sprue of DE and was using an utility knife with a looong blade instead of clippers to remove the models. In my fanatical first swoop my cut went wild and I hit my left hand. I then looked at my hand and it looked ok...a few seconds laker the blood began to gush out of my middle finger. After running around for a few moments we decided its best to see a professional. At the hospital, the doctor took a closer look. The cut ran the entire length of the middle section of my middle finger, it cut down to the bone at an angle and took a nice chunk out of the muscle. It sits nicely under a smaller cut on the tip of my finger I had got during 2nd ed. as I tried to remove the red grail from Corbulo with a knife. That cut was not as bad but memorable since I just let the blood drip into the grail as an offering to the blood god.

Bestaltan
26-04-2010, 01:29
I keep stabbing myself on my clubmates CoD buildings (I don't use those stabby bits on mine at all).

Oh yea. Getting spikey bits from my friend's chaos army under the fingernails (and my own Tyranid spikey bits) is such a common thing I hardly even notice anymore.

Nocculum
26-04-2010, 01:32
I'm impaled myself cheek, forehead and even eye (I blinked in time, fortunately) leaning down to get a first person perspective. It's usually unpainted spears that get me, but I've got a few memories running around of a run in with a Branchwraith I'd rather forget.

I don't know many times I've gotten Goblin spears under my nails either, vicious little blighters!

CULCHAIN
26-04-2010, 01:42
my right thumb is criscrossed with scars from cleaning up models.

MarshallSam
26-04-2010, 01:49
Trying to hold 2 pieces together while the glue dried. One piece slipped and hit me square in the eye. Spent a fun few hours in the ER getting superglue flushed from eye.

wazatdingder
26-04-2010, 01:50
I'm impaled myself cheek, forehead and even eye (I blinked in time, fortunately) leaning down to get a first person perspective. It's usually unpainted spears that get me, but I've got a few memories running around of a run in with a Branchwraith I'd rather forget.

I don't know many times I've gotten Goblin spears under my nails either, vicious little blighters!

I believe your in the wrong forum, this is 40k injuries.:p

adreal
26-04-2010, 02:12
I got hit in the nuts setting up a table, wasn't much fun and I lost the game....

Other then that I'm pretty good when it comes to modelling and stuff, but something about that GW sculpting tool keeps telling me to stab my eye, and i'm not the only one, afew of my firends have said the same thing. Should I get it exorcised?

Drakon
26-04-2010, 02:37
I got hit in the nuts setting up a table, wasn't much fun and I lost the game....

:eek:
This is the one that made me cringe, slices cuts etc is all good but that just outright hurts :p

technotemplar
26-04-2010, 02:58

As for cutting anything down to size - saws work better than modelling knives in most circumstances.

I know that now haha, that unfortunate injury happened when I had just started 40k and was new to modelling as well

Plastic Rat
26-04-2010, 03:05
I believe your in the wrong forum, this is 40k injuries.:p

This made me laugh out loud. Nice one ;)

Unfortunately I can't remember who it was, but there's a player on here who had a drill bit break off in their elbow. He had a post on his blog on this site with pics of the x-ray. I remember they even had to put him under to take it out since the thing was lodged so close to an important nerve bundle in his arm.

Maybe he'll post here.

Worst I've ever done is drilled a few millimeters into my thumb. Dumbest I've ever done was super glue my lips together (was holding glue cap in mouth, missed when putting it back on while distracted...) Hopefully nobody who knows me in real life ever sees this one.

IcedAnimals
26-04-2010, 03:32
I sprayed some glue accelerator that bounced off the model and ricocheted into my eye. 15 minutes of running my eye under the sink and good to go. never cut myself I take very very good care of my hands when working with my hobby. And now I make sure to wear goggles.

Maskedman5oh4
26-04-2010, 03:36
Cleaning a metal model I cut off my thumb tip- about 1/4in by 1/4in- basically shaved it off with an exacto. It didn't hurt the worst, but it blead the most, beware of the curved x-acto blade (http://www.drillspot.com/products/1150097/x-acto_x622_no_22_large_curve_carving_knife_blade?s= 1).

I think the most painfull injuries are always the ones involving the ole dremel tool. RPMs = hurt. :skull:

Now, I also have a 60 gallon Hausfeld compressor in the garage and an assortment of airsaws and air-grinders...those leave really scary injuries... :wtf:

Shas'o Kais
26-04-2010, 03:53
About 2 months into the hobby I gashed my self 2-5 times in one half an hour making terrain from cardboard.I had baindaides on my fingers for the next 3 or 4 days.

ChaosVC
26-04-2010, 04:30
Same **** happened to me only without cutting thru the fingernails...I can still recall the horror and weeks of irritation I have to go thru after that.

chromedog
26-04-2010, 04:37
#22 Exacto blade is my STANDARD one. Haven't cut myself on one yet.

#1 handle with #11 blade, however, I've had roll off my desk and impale itself into my foot to the ferrule (about an inch from pointy tip to this bit). Ker-shunk!. Missed anything vital. Some betadine and a sticky plaster and it was fine.

spacewolf_sven
26-04-2010, 04:37
I've stabbed my thumb/finger once or twice and I've also glued the same knife to my wrist and at the same time my fingers got glued together-it wasn't any thing like as serious as it could have been

Kacz
26-04-2010, 04:52
Aside from the usual assorted scars and glue incidents, my worst modeling injury took place when I was attempting to scratch-build a tank.

For the cannon barrel I'd scrounged up a nice pen tube, and was cleaning the flash off it. I was using an exacto to cut around the inside circle at one end when part of the brittle plastic shattered and (I thought) two pieces flew into my eye. I spent the next ten minutes in front of a bathroom mirror and washed one out, and thought I got the other too.

Later in bed my eye was a little itchy so, back to the bathroom - turns out one of the crumbs went almost to the inside of my eye! Luckily I was able to coax it out from under my eyelid without any scratches, but thinking about what it would have felt like had it gone farther or stayed longer makes me cringe.

Eulenspiegel
26-04-2010, 04:54
Most of my conversions actually are sacrifices to Khorne, as I regularly cut myself / drill into my fingers and get a little blood on them.

Worst was when I was slicing up a large metal miniature with a dremel-drill bit that looks like a sideways circular saw. It slipped and nearly took off the top of my left index finger.
I had to lie down on my couch and take several breaths before I could go to the hospital. I didnīt get treated there, I merely asked some nurse whether that grows together by itself or would rot off (yeah ... yeah Iīm dumb like that).

Tenken
26-04-2010, 05:01
I did something similar to the OP. But I cut the bottom of my thumb open just cleaning up mold lines. It was pretty deep, took like a week before I could effectively hobby again because it hurt to put any pressure on my thumb. It was not at all pleasant.

Maskedman5oh4
26-04-2010, 05:03
Hobby knives are bad, but you have not injured yourself until it is using a power tool! :chrome:

Axeman1n
26-04-2010, 07:25
2nd worst I had a dab of zap-a-gap on my fingers because I was glueing a lot of models, and when I hit a set I was glueing with the Zip-kicker, I accidentally sprayed the glue on my finger too. The chemical reaction was so hot, I got a 2nd degree burn instantly.

1st worse I was drilling a Monsterous Creature to add a pin for his arm. I had the drill bit set up so that it couldn't go in too far, but what I didn't account for was the socket on the opposite side I was drilling. My finger was in the socket, and the drill poked all the way through into my finger by about 1/8 of an inch. It was an 1/8 bit, so it bled a lot too.

Pandir
26-04-2010, 09:12
Was cutting some models with an exacto and managed to snap the blade off in my right hand pinky. Pulled the blade piece out of my finger and had blood started pouring out. I went to get it checked out because I thought it looked big enough for a couple stitches but they just gave me a band-aid and sent me on my way. I got a scar out of it and a(still here 3 years later) slight numbness right above where the scar is.

The Ginger Ninja
26-04-2010, 09:43
There was a thread a while ago about this, this worst thing there I remember was someone standing on some goblin spearmen in bare feet...
*Wince*

olberon
26-04-2010, 10:37
i was doing some regular conversion work on a few of my models when i decided it was time to make a few cuts with a scalpel (yes a real one from the hospital) as you can imagine it slipped (had wet hands at that time) and it sliced cleanly trough my thumb nerves of my right hand (im a lefty :D) since my wife actually works at the ER in my local hospital a quick diagnose was set. i might not ever gain the use of my thumb again.

now a few months later, and getting used to the tingly feeling in that thumb i have about 20% control over that thumb. so yeah it was quite a serious injury.

Brother Nidus
26-04-2010, 10:48
Some Pretty standard ones here;

Thumb/knife combo, 2blade lengths running parallel to the nail.

Bare foot Vs. Metal Daemon Prince drew blood and scrapped the prince. double fail.

Plastic trim ricochet, half a Marine hand in the corner of the eye.

For being in the hobby for 14 years I haven't had it too bad. I'm usually very careful, although modelling when angry I've learnt is unwise.

Nidus

@ olberon i believe you win with that one. Nasty.

SharpSilver
26-04-2010, 11:19
Knife + Thumb and index finger in the same hour.

Also managed to Superglue my right hand's thumb to my palm of the left hand and had to cut tiny amounts of skin to free it unless I wanted to rip it off and cause a probable scar.

Hypaspist
26-04-2010, 11:42
Unfortunately I can't remember who it was, but there's a player on here who had a drill bit break off in their elbow. He had a post on his blog on this site with pics of the x-ray. I remember they even had to put him under to take it out since the thing was lodged so close to an important nerve bundle in his arm.
That was me, I am that idiot, and you can find the X-Ray piccy, as well as a particularly dashing artist's impression of how it happened in my Dark Angel log. ;) as for the severity, I was allegedly, only a few mm from losing the use of my arm below the elbow.
Still, at least I can laugh about it now ;)

Maybe he'll post here.

Your wish is my command!

Jorgandr
26-04-2010, 13:06
Two yeas ago or so I sat down in the dark unlit room without looking, and as I was on my way to the bed I had no pants (or underpants). Parts of my tyranid army was on the chair. Lot's of old metal Hormagaunts and other spike bits.

I had tiny holes in my butt for weeks. Wasn't pretty.

melloxmatt
26-04-2010, 17:32
my top two would have to be cutting my hand with a knife while cutting and tripping over a metal model carrying thing majig and face planted into a wall so hard i broke a big ass hole in the wall and knocked my self out

Devastator
26-04-2010, 17:38
warhound dropping to my head from top shelve:(

Ozendorph
26-04-2010, 17:49
Threw out my back while leaning over to roll dice. Not cool. I was only perhaps 16 at the time, so that ended up foreshadowing many years of spinal instability and pain.

Tak
26-04-2010, 18:13
Iv'e got this mate who once fell over and accidentally stabbed himself six times so I am betting that he will soon do himself a 40k injury worthy of note. I'll keep you informed.

sycopat
26-04-2010, 18:57
Man, my worst is so mundane compared to some of the stuff in here!

I lightly sliced the meaty part of my palm. Didn't hurt much or bleed too badly, but it did leave a scar about three quarters of an inch long. Other than that it's just the usual little stabbings, prickings and glueing of fingers together.

I guess I'm pretty lucky really.

Hoarmurel
26-04-2010, 19:35
I almost cut my thumb with a scissors, that was ten/nine years ago, when i was trying to convert some genestealers into tzeentch horrors :D I was scared for all the blood i spilt, almost a khorne sacrifice :evilgrin:

Less serious than that, i have cut, drilled, glued, and hit myself my hands and fingers, one time an airbrush "exploded" and another times dangerous products like resin splashed my face.

However I'm still alive (perhaps a little mad :D).

Dread Lime
26-04-2010, 19:43
Numerous puncture wounds from having 3000 points of metal chaos marines dropped on me.

My objections to spikes are not solely aesthetic. :mad:

jamesterjlrb
26-04-2010, 19:49
warhound dropping to my head from top shelve:(

nuts, that warhound must have got busted :p

A kid at my local GW managed to superglue his hand to one of the realm of battle gameboards. Had to give it a nice sharp yank before he was "forced" to take it home with him. :D Fairly mundane but quite funny as he then proceded to stick hi hand to his face.

Bestaltan
26-04-2010, 21:09
Dear Lord. Ok, I had NO idea that this thread would get this kind of response. Do we need to contact the Surgeon General and get a warning label placed on our hobby? Or are we all just really that clumsy? :D

Hypaspist
26-04-2010, 21:13
Or are we all just really that clumsy? :D

well speaking for myself... ^ this ;)

jsullivanlaw
26-04-2010, 21:15
So, as I sit here nursing my injured thumb, I got to thinking......How badly have you gotten hurt in 40k playing/building/driving to a tournament/other calamity.

For me, I think this thumb takes the cake. I was building my own deff rollas last night (sorry GW, but $1 lint removing rolls>>>> $18 kits). While I was cutting the rolls down to a more workable size, my modeling knife slipped. Problem was I had a lot of "umph" behind it, so I cut through a small portion of my thumbnail and kept cutting through the tip of my thumb about 4-5 mm deep. And of course, since it's a very clean cut, the sucker bled like crazy. My battlewagon got a little TOO red last night.

So let's hear it. Your trip to the gaming store end up a trip to the hospital? Glue more than 4 fingers together? Drop that modeling knife on your toe? How have you hurt yourself playing 40k?

I did the exact same thing a week ago building a vindicator. Cut through the nail and under the thumb. I tend to try and work fast and have cut myself many many many times with a model knife. I actually use old blunted knives exclusively and am very hesitant about getting new sharp ones. I still cut myself with the blunt ones though. Luckily, I have become good at fixing these injuries. Super glue > bandaids! I superglued the nail back together and superglued the cut closed. A week later, not even a scar. Remember, superglue is a great medical tool!

stevegill
26-04-2010, 22:08
Luckily, I have become good at fixing these injuries. Super glue > bandaids! I superglued the nail back together and superglued the cut closed. A week later, not even a scar. Remember, superglue is a great medical tool!

Before following this advice check the type of super glue - some of the earlier variants were highly toxic (memory says it was originally designed as a field wound dressing and had to be dropped as it killed people) and they pretty much all generate a lot of heat as they cure (self-inflicting a burn inside a wound really isn't clever).

Shaft, Lord of Slaanesh
26-04-2010, 22:17
...Do we need to contact the Surgeon General and get a warning label placed on our hobby...?

Killa Kans :p

Seriously, cut the top of my thumb in half with a scalpel building a Games Day board (had to have a bit of a sit down as I'm quite squishy about fingers), a few months ago sawed a large chunk out of the same thumb using a modelling saw trying to make an Ork Space Hulk (yep another sit down in my kitchen) but the luckiest was when I was using a modelling drill with cutting disc to saw a warp lightning cannon at a jaunty angle so I could use it as a tunnelling marker; the disc blade broke and half of it bounced off of the lense of my glasses...

Wolf Lord of Croatia
26-04-2010, 22:18
I once cut my thumb so much that I could well have filled a half of small Coke bottle with blood from it.

Sir_Turalyon
29-04-2010, 17:23
Long and rather deep cut through hip, four sews and single failed exam during my studies due to recovery.

Eldoriath
29-04-2010, 17:42
Cut myself in the first joint on the top side on my right hand pointing finger so badle I had to go to a doctor to stitch it together.

And a number of times I've cut my thumb, but rarely since I made myself a thumb-protector consisting of, basically, two-three layers of some plastic (or one if thick enough), some tape and paper so i can easily slide it unto the thumb. Much worth the minute it takes to make.

Dread Lime
29-04-2010, 20:07
Maybe we should be posting some safety tips to go along with all the injuries...

Change you blades regularly.
Blunted blades are more dangerous than sharp ones.
Dull blades require more force to be applied to them in order to cut, which means that most of your effort is going to simply getting through the material. A sharp blade cuts cleanly with little pressure, which means more of your focus can go toward controlling the knife.

LonelyPath
29-04-2010, 21:11
My most recent "injury" was gluing a tube of superglue to my jeans. Whle I wasn't injured, my jeans will never recover :P

Repentant Son
29-04-2010, 21:17
I think I've gotten off lightly... I was scraping off the "wood mould lines" from a wooden trebuchet kit, it slipped and went straight through my thumb. Hit the bone, so it stopped then, and I pulled it out. I flexed the thumb, and the skin opened up. I unflexed it quickly, and held in that position for about five mintues while I went and searched for a band aid. By time I found it the skin had sealed up again, but around that point it started to hurt too... No permanent damage, thankfully.

Sons of Lorgar
29-04-2010, 21:27
Sawed into a finger a few years ago while trimming off the mould vents from the road wheels of my Lucius pattern Baneblade (Pre apoc. FW)

Plastic Rat
30-04-2010, 00:32
That was me, I am that idiot, and you can find the X-Ray piccy, as well as a particularly dashing artist's impression of how it happened in my Dark Angel log. ;) as for the severity, I was allegedly, only a few mm from losing the use of my arm below the elbow.
Still, at least I can laugh about it now ;)

Your wish is my command!

That's the one. Hypaspist wins all 40k injury threads from now till the foreseeable future. It's going to take somebody losing a limb to the hobby to top this one.