PDA

View Full Version : A good starter army.

Shas'o Kais
26-04-2010, 14:37
I play warhammer 40k and I am interested in getting into getting into fantasy.

what would be a friendly but powerful starting army.

I like the idea of high elves always hitting first.

But that is pretty much all i know about it.

MalusCalibur
26-04-2010, 14:43
I wouldn't get too attached to High Elves' 'Always Strike First' rule, since with the advent of the new edition, it will become redundant.

In fact, I would hold off on starting Fantasy until the new edition comes out, as learning all the current rules only for them to be replaced less than two months down the line would be a needless task.

As far your first army goes, spend the time reading up on the different races and have a look through their model ranges - then simply pick the one you like the best.

Stuffburger
26-04-2010, 14:50
In fact, I would hold off on starting Fantasy until the new edition comes out, as learning all the current rules only for them to be replaced less than two months down the line would be a needless task.

As far your first army goes, spend the time reading up on the different races and have a look through their model ranges - then simply pick the one you like the best.

This. Don't learn the rules yet but by all means pick a side that interests you and get to painting it up so when 8th rolls around you're ready. No one can tell you what the power balance will look like after 8th comes around but it's a pretty safe bet that the current bottom will stay low, as their problems lie mostly with the armybooks and not the core rules. As far as that goes I'd say avoid TK, Ogres, Beastmen and O&G, though of the four Ogres are the most likely to get a substantial boost imo. Past that any army can have powerful builds and friendly builds.

If you give us some more information on your desired playstyle, budget, fluff, etc. we can give you better advice :)

BigbyWolf
26-04-2010, 14:55
Well, at the moment armies that are considered as not being too good for beginners are Wood Elves, Tomb Kings and Ogre Kingdoms.

Armies that are usually considered as good for beginners are:

Empire- Good Flexibility
OnG- Just pure fun
WoC- Straight forward carnage
Dwaffs- Blocks of infantry and plenty of shooting, skip magic.

I would suggest not letting the differences between 7/8th edition bother you. If you like an army, just go for it!

AFnord
26-04-2010, 15:00
WE might on the other hand be an easy transition army from 40k to fantasy, because of their playstyle. It was by the way my first army, and I did not find them to be too hard to play. Different from the other fantasy armies, yes, but not hard.

I agree with what people have said tough, go with the army that you like the most. Take a look at the models & the play style of each individual army, and decide what fits you well. Every army has it's own tricks, which requires some skill to pull off, and while some might have a slightly harder initial learning curve than others, there is really no point in spending a whole lot of money on an army that you find out does not suit you.

And yes, do wait a few months before you pick up an army. 8th edition is so close that you can almost smell it.

BigbyWolf
26-04-2010, 15:19
And yes, do wait a few months before you pick up an army. 8th edition is so close that you can almost smell it.

And if H.Elfs are the weapon of choice, picking up the BfSP successor boxed set might be worth while for the models rumoured to be it it.

spetswalshe
26-04-2010, 15:34
Dark Elves and Empire hold their own in all phases of the game, and so should let you try out different styles of play. But yes, waiting until 8th would be a solid idea - new High Elf models in the starter box (there's be plenty of people to sell the Skaven to), plus you can find out if they've been nerfed in regards to shooting and ASF.

CaliforniaGamer
26-04-2010, 20:15
I would stay away from OnG at all costs, animosity can be very frustrating for a new player.

I read somewhere on another warhammer site this morning: "I dont mind losing, but I dont like being beaten." -anon

File OnG under the "beating" category.

otherwise pick a range with models that will inspire you to model/paint them.

brendel
26-04-2010, 21:14
Empire seem to be pretty straight forward to play, with lots of options to choose from.

Woodsman
27-04-2010, 13:59
Find something you like as above, However...

Empire are a great starting point. They can go for more or less any build, have a couple of power options. Can go magic/shooty/combat(not great) heavy. have their own play style - The Village Idiot, which is fun and tactical. There's also a lot of fluffy inspiration floating around and some great SC's if you're into that sorta thing.

Helfs and Delfs both have army-wide special rules but achieve similar things to the above.

Undead cause fear and can't flee which means you don't always get your head around some large sections of the game.

Dwarfs have limited playstyles and can be frustrating for begginers, I'd reccomend as a second army, unless you love them.

Lizzies can also go almost any way and have some great special rules which ease things up a bit. Most armies can build some power builds so don't worry about that too much.

Mike3791
27-04-2010, 14:07
Empire seem to be pretty straight forward to play, with lots of options to choose from.

Empire has terrible soldiers atm, I would pick from HE, DE, VC, WoC, or LM.

Charistoph
27-04-2010, 18:22
Empire has terrible soldiers atm, I would pick from HE, DE, VC, WoC, or LM.

Empire troops are not terrible, just very average. Not great, mind you, but not bad.

Crovax20
27-04-2010, 18:36
No no no, average means they suck on warseer. After all everyone only fields the most efficient and best choices here :)

Garion
27-04-2010, 19:18
If I were you I would wait till July till Warhammer fantasy battle is re-released with the new rules and a box set with two armies in and choose one of those. If you want to get involved now then I think High elves is a pretty sound choice, but I always recommend Orc and Goblins to people because of there variety. You have a good mix of every unit type and they are versatile enough to run lists that can play the game in any tactical way you choose.