PDA

View Full Version : garage sale fine - need help

outbreak
27-04-2010, 00:27
Hey guy's i've recently picked up some marines from a garage sale and now I'm trying to decide if i sell these guys (i don't want to play marines as everyone seems to play them) or learn to play 40k with them. i'm wondering if i have enough for a decent list or i need to invest in more models to get them going.
What i have is

2 HQ guys
2x10 marines
1 rhino
1 landraider
2 landspeeders
2 dreadnaughts
5 bike riders
1 attack bike
8 terminators (one has a back banner, i think one is a librarian)

I don't have the book yet so i'm wondering if these models are decent for around a 1k list.

The_carpenter
27-04-2010, 00:34
Space Marines are a good army to learn with due to their high toughness and 3+ save, which is also why they are so common. Have you considered using a different chapter such as Space Wolves or Blood Angels ( I would suggest Dark Angels as the fluff rocks but the codex is apparently a bit outdated).

Or alternatively you could sell the land speeders and attack bikes and add some spikey bit's to the rest to make some passable chaos space marines!

outbreak
27-04-2010, 00:40
The bunch of stuff i bought also came with 10 chaos terminators, 25ish chaos marines and 4-5 characters (including a daemon prince) so i am also considering selling the marines but keeping the rhino to convert to chaos, i wasn't sure if chaos marines use a landraider though. I've also considered getting another rhino and doing something like 2 rhinos w/10 marines in each, landraider w/some terminators, 2 landspeeders, 2 dreads for a fully mobile armoured force.

The_carpenter
27-04-2010, 00:43
The bunch of stuff i bought also came with 10 chaos terminators, 25ish chaos marines and 4-5 characters (including a daemon prince) so i am also considering selling the marines but keeping the rhino to convert to chaos, i wasn't sure if chaos marines use a landraider though.

They can and indeed do!, I reckon you could convert the loyalists to chaos marines for little effort to bolster your forces for the short term... just add spikes and file off the imperial eagle! alternatively just say that they recent converts.. in the short term most players won't have an issue.

jtw1n
27-04-2010, 01:22
How much did you pay if you don't mind. Quite the find for a yard sale!

Morgrad
27-04-2010, 01:23
Yeah - nice haul, depending on what you paid!

outbreak
27-04-2010, 01:44
You'll think it's even more of a find once i tell you the price and what else came with it. I also got a bunch of tau (maybe 15 random fire warriors 4-5 crisis suit guys), some dark eldar (about 15 warriors and wytches, 4 or so guys riding spiky flying things and some hellions and characters), some necrons (3-4 warriors and 3-4 flying guys, a couple characters and 2 nightbringers), 20 fantasy saurus warriors and 3 big old nids (a mate said theres a hive guard and 2 raveners) and some homragaunts. I'm still yet to go through it all and work out what everything is and there's a load of bags of bits that look like they could make more complete models.

All up it cost my dad $25 which is about half the price of a box of infantry (10 marines or whatever is $55) over here. Dunno who he bought them off just said they were mixed in a big box of lego at a car boot sale so he picked out what looked like warhammer and said how much for these. I'm guessing someones played warhammer as a kid (most of the stuff is old editions and most is broken but easily fixable and poorly painted) and has moved out of home and just left his crap behind.

So whats everyones thoughts on the marines? Should that be enough for some games, would it make a nice force with minimal inclusion (i'm talking maybe a AOBR set and another rhino or 2)?

Kurgash
27-04-2010, 02:04
:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

25$ FOR ALL OF THAT!? I'd be doing somersaults and freaking hand stands if I made off with that much loot! Now you are making me want to go to garage sales now, looking for hidden gems. =(

Morgrad
27-04-2010, 02:47
Yes - you can make a solid 1000pt list out of that haul. And the extra goodies in trade/sale to your mates should more than make up for anything you feel you're lacking.

You could make your money back on Ebay in about .02 seconds and still have the Marines - so it was a great deal for you. Kudos.

Mr. Gobbo
27-04-2010, 02:58
You'll think it's even more of a find once i tell you the price and what else came with it. I also got a bunch of tau (maybe 15 random fire warriors 4-5 crisis suit guys), some dark eldar (about 15 warriors and wytches, 4 or so guys riding spiky flying things and some hellions and characters), some necrons (3-4 warriors and 3-4 flying guys, a couple characters and 2 nightbringers), 20 fantasy saurus warriors and 3 big old nids (a mate said theres a hive guard and 2 raveners) and some homragaunts. I'm still yet to go through it all and work out what everything is and there's a load of bags of bits that look like they could make more complete models.

All up it cost my dad $25 which is about half the price of a box of infantry (10 marines or whatever is $55) over here. Dunno who he bought them off just said they were mixed in a big box of lego at a car boot sale so he picked out what looked like warhammer and said how much for these. I'm guessing someones played warhammer as a kid (most of the stuff is old editions and most is broken but easily fixable and poorly painted) and has moved out of home and just left his crap behind.

Tau were 1st released in 2001 so they probably aren't very old models, at least some of them.

Just imagine how pissed off that guy would be if he came back home to find his old models only to learn they were all sold for $25! I know I would be! :p

Griffindale
27-04-2010, 07:28
Sounds like what I'm afraid may happen when I leave for uni. My parents would keep all of the junk in this house and sell my minis for super cheap at some yard sale :mad:

clarkey1991
27-04-2010, 09:20
i agree not a bad find, i wish i could have that quality of models at my local garage sales :P

MajorWesJanson
27-04-2010, 10:23
i agree not a bad find, i wish i could have that quality of models at my local garage sales :P

I wish we had that quality of garage sales around here :(