PDA

View Full Version : WOC Mark Advice

pluch87
27-04-2010, 04:05
I've got 20 marauders and a bunch warriors (two squads of 15 and one of 12) all waiting to be painted/built. But I'm currently stuck trying to make a decision...

What mark do I give them? The small warrior unit will most likely be Khorne, but I'm stuck between Nurgle or Slaneesh for the bigger warrior units and especially the marauders.

Armies I play most often are:
Wood Elves, Dwarfs, High Elves, (somtimes) Bretonnia.

The Wood Elves have two units of dryads at their center almost always, and have 2 units of glade riders always on the flanks shooting to their hearts content. A unit of wild riders, way watchers, war hawk riders and sometimes treekin (3 of them) and war dancers are seen often. Oh and LOTS of tree-surfing.
The Dwarfs are mainly a semi gun-line build.

What would be the best mark to put up against these armies?

Agnar the Howler
27-04-2010, 04:14
Marauders:

I'd say that Khorne is probably the worst for you, with WE, HE and Brets (to an extent) all being able to bait your units. Tzeentch is probably the next worst, offering token resistance vs shooting and only really good vs cannons and things that ignore armour. Nurgle and Slaanesh are tied here in my eyes, with each one depending on what happens:

Do you tend to find yourself panicking a lot from shooting? Do you have issues with fear or terror from bret knights (do they cause fear?), HE eagles (do they cause anything?) and dragons? Do you have much psychological difficulties? If you answered yes to any or all of these, then choose Slaanesh.

Do you tend to suffer shooting casualties easily, but not enough to panic you? Do you only need a few less shots to hit every time? Answer yes to either of the two questions, then Nurgle is best here.

I think Slaanesh is probably the safest bet, but Nurgle is very nice for hitting shooters (as long as they use BS not guess ranges) if you don't need the Panic, Fear and Terror immunity.

Warriors:

Same as before, but Tzeentch plays a larger part here. Your standard bearer here can take magic banners. Your best choice is probably the Blasted Standard. Combined with the MoT, your Warrior block now has a 4+ ward save against all attacks done in the shooting phase, be it an arrow or a cannonball. That block will be able to make most shooting bounce off it.

Other units should probably take Nurgle or Slaanesh though, as the Blasted Standard is, alas, 1 per army.

Witchblade
27-04-2010, 04:20
There are many threads on this. A search will give you all the answers you need.

Generally, small infantry units are best off with MoK and GWs, while bigger units do better with MoS, FC and halberds/shields.

snottlebocket
27-04-2010, 06:23
I've been running most of my units with the mark of nurgle. Panic isn't nearly as bad for chaos these days thanks to the reroll. The mark of nurgle can make any chaos unit very frustrating to fight, often it makes the difference between being hit on 3's or being hit on 4's.

If a character on a fear causing mount joins the unit, Slaanesh becomes even more of a waste.

Lord Dan
27-04-2010, 06:39
I would run:

2 units of 10 slaanesh marauders, no upgrades
1 unit of 12-14 Khorne marauders, flails or GW, LA

pluch87
27-04-2010, 06:53
Ya Snottlebocket, now that you mention it, the panic re-roll does make slaanesh a bit redundant.
Although I do know dryads, treekin (I think) and wild riders on the charge all cause fear, would immunity to fear help marauders out at all?

And Lord Dan, why 2 units of only 10 marauders? Would they not just get shot up before they reach anything? Actually... never mind... I see where you're getting at. Use them as screens I'm assuming. That idea ain't half bad, units would be extremely cheap to run... hmm...

Lord Dan
27-04-2010, 07:15
And Lord Dan, why 2 units of only 10 marauders? Would they not just get shot up before they reach anything? Actually... never mind... I see where you're getting at. Use them as screens I'm assuming. That idea ain't half bad, units would be extremely cheap to run... hmm...

At 50 points a unit they're fantastic at dying so your expensive warriors don't have to.

Bladelord
27-04-2010, 07:23
Make aleast one of those Warrior units Nurgle!
I don't know what your opponents like to run but with Nurgle you will mess up alot for them, for example:
Swordmasters, Nobles & Moon Dragons will be hitting on 4+ instead of 3+.
Wardancers, Nobles, Forst Dragons & Branchwraiths will be hitting on 4+ instead of 3+.
Knights Errant will be hitting on 5+ instead of 4+ (that's awesome when they're able to bring down a ton of str.6 attacks on the charge), Bretonnian Lord will be hitting on 4+ instead of 3+.

Also, you can almost shut down their shooting phase. High Elves have a strong one & can still get alot of hits with their RBTs due to 24'' short range & Curse of Arrow Attraction. If the Wood Elf player runs alot of shooting you will take much less casaulties by bringing Nurgle. Bretonnia got Peasant Bowmen. You can almost ignore these guys cause they'll probably just shoot at your small support units anyway.

Mark of Slaanesh will be useless against High Elves & Bretonnia. The only threats causing Fear or Terror will be dragons, Phoenix Guard & Hippogryphs.

snottlebocket
27-04-2010, 10:13
Ya Snottlebocket, now that you mention it, the panic re-roll does make slaanesh a bit redundant.
Although I do know dryads, treekin (I think) and wild riders on the charge all cause fear, would immunity to fear help marauders out at all?

If I field an important unit of marauders (ie a fully ranked unit intended to do something other than dying) I often include a character. And in case of a character leading marauders I often include a mount, usually the palanquin.

The palanquin takes up half your front rank. (less attacks on the marauders) Provides fear (thus immunity to fear for you) and six poison attacks which do a better job of wounding than handweapon and shield marauders.

At that point I get a reroll on panic, immunity from fear while the char lives, my marauder front rank is more defensible and throws out more attacks and ofcourse the bonus' provided by the mark of nurgle. By then the marauders are actually a pretty solid unit, I often add a warshrine to guard their flank and boost them even more.

selone
27-04-2010, 12:24
At 50 points a unit they're fantastic at dying so your expensive warriors don't have to.

Indeed, I often go for the slightly more expensive unit of 12 with a musician for 62 points myself :-) I've found my marauders do better the least I expect of them, unit of 25 with FC- march blocked and or torn to pieces by elite units, unit of 12- redirects/killed nurglings once etc. A unit of 10-12 is a pretty good place to hold a mage to protect him from spells/shooting