PDA

View Full Version : A giant among men....err, ogres

Keller
17-02-2006, 21:34
I've recently aquired a giant model, which I have used in my Ogre Kingdoms army a time or two as a Slave Giant. So far he's been less than spectacular, but helpful nonetheless. Lacking the Stubborness of a untamed giant doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as I might have guessed, although it certainly wouldn't hurt to be. I must say, an additional terror source is always of use, even if it is to just stop fear-causing units from charging him.

The biggest problem I have found is one that all giants have, their random attacks. If he had, say 5 attacks, you could count on him to do something to an enemy unit, instead of running in and grabbing a single model. Killing one man from a unit of 30 isn't going to change the combat... Then again, the potential to do great things allows him to have a chance against units you otherwise wouldn't want to commit to. Since you have no control over what he does, it allows the giant to be a very flexible unit; it could do well or poorly against anything, not being particularly suited to fighting one type of unit over others. In my experience, their best attack is falling down, which has so far claimed a Choas Lord and a HE dragon. Too bad I can't just let him fall over, or roll that result instead of swinging the club!

I have since found a model I like much more than that which I bought, so will likely pick up a second giant. Since I often play games of 3000+ points, I might try running both of them in the same army to see how well they work in tandem. At 175 points they aren't cheap, but not much more than a small unit of ogres, so its not too bad of an investment in the army for the laugh they can provide.

Any thoughts on the Slave Giant, or Giants in general?

Amornar
17-02-2006, 22:43
I've used a giant a few times in my Ard'Boyz list, he is really fun to use and even if he doesn't get a great attack its still fun to "see" a random soldier get stuffed down his pants.
That chance to do something great is really good too as in one game against a Dwarf army he yelled and balled at two units, one ran and got away and the other go chanced down. And then in the end he was able to thump the Dwarf Lord on the head and killed him and his bodyguard of hammers got pinched between the giant, a chariot and a group of Black Orcs with a Black Orc Big Boss in it. Needless to say I won by a lot.
Defiantly my MVP of that battle I think Giants are always worth taking even if they don't do great in one battle they might kick ass in the next one. Kinda like any unit that has bad rolling and good rolling does good and bad in games.
So I say keep on taking giants, plus they have all the cool new Giant models coming out. :)
-Amornar

warlord hack'a
18-02-2006, 08:55
and do not forget: it causes terror in your opponent, by which I do not mean his models on the table, but the player itself. Everybody knows what horrible things giants can do (jump up and down, yall and bawl etc.), they forget that sometimes 'pick up and...' is all he accomplishes..

So use this wisely, nothing makes the enemy more nercous than agiant slowly strolling towards the flank of his line..

p.s. avoid attacking where the general is, get to a flank, chase half of the units away with your terror and charge the rest!

Neknoh
18-02-2006, 17:55
Well... as far as I see it (not an Ogre Kingdoms player though), the Slavegiant isn't there to fill the regular role of Tarpit that most other Giants does, that is what you use Maneaters for.

Same goes for fixed attacks, armies such as Beasts of chaos and Tomb Kings have really big beasties with fixed attacks, but, they are not used as tarpits (though Maneaters also work great in this perspective).

The Giant is there to be a pincushion to draw fire from your Ogres and is also there to flank the enemy, with a US 5 or 6 (not sure on the Slavegiant), you will break ranks, and then, with a little luck, you will stay in contact with the unit to roll Jump Up and Down and hopefully fall over the unit.

The Giant also causes Terror, something the Ogre Kingdoms Army doesn't have all too many creatures which does.
Terror can be teriffic (pun intended) or horiffic.

But, if you want something that you can rely on and that surely isn't going anywhere in the first place, you should probably use Maneaters.

Keller
18-02-2006, 20:40
I've been using Maneaters as well, but they rarely do anything a unit of Bulls or Ironguts cannot. Their Immune to Psych has helped a few times, but being Stubborn hasn't made much of a difference. I still like them, even at 80 points a piece, and hope to get a few more models for the unit soon, as I only have 2.

Moving at the same speed as the rest of the army certainly seems to help the Slavegiant. If he were faster, as with an Orc army, he could get stuck out on his own and killed. Since there can always be some Ogres or Yheties nearby to support him though, the giant is usually in good hands.

As for being a missile magnet, the armies I have been facing lately haven't had a lot of shooting to bring to bear on him. The few rounds of shooting I might endure tends to be S3 bowfire, which isn't going to do much against the giant. I guess its a good thing my opponents aren't ones to take bolt-throwers or cannons.

I am really starting to like the giant, and agree; he is a steal at 175 points, not much more than 2 Maneaters.

MisterHeavy
21-02-2006, 18:47
question: What model did you find that you liked? I'm not really a fan of the GW model, and I'd be interested in any alternatives.

Keller
21-02-2006, 20:43
I'm using Reaper giants. They are about as tall as the GW one, but much nicer models, and quite a bit cheaper. You just have to get a 50mm base for them.

Mohng, Formorian Giant (http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=699&cat=0&page=2) was the first one I bought, but I will be adding Lunkh Bullhoof, Hill Giant w/Rock (http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=783&cat=0&page=3) to my collection soon, which is the model I will be using most often. I picked the Formorian giant up for about $12 at a local shop, though I have to order the Hill Giant online for full price. Still, thats 2 giants which I like much better than the GW model, for less than 1 Giant boxset. I'll be using them as Slave Giants, and probably try out the Albion Giants in my DoW army too.

Ganymede
22-02-2006, 05:48
Personally, I use the DoW giant which holds the huge rock. Other than being top heavy, he is great.

warlord hack'a
22-02-2006, 15:52
I too got the DoW giants (Giants of ALbion), they are nice and thin and tall as a gians should be..And of course I gave them their own group of fans: some snotlings imitating their behavior.. ;-)

made_of_metal
23-02-2006, 02:22
I never really though of using a Slavegiant but you guys might have convinced me here. It is hard to look at them and not compare them to the conveninal giant but they really are a whole different monster.

Too bad the compete with Maneaters and Gorgers, both of which i always want to include. You made my choice rather hard here.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
01-03-2006, 07:31
I definetly plan to add one when the new model comes out.

I am sure he can be useful, although I would use him to be more of a support unit, rather than a big nasty to take out a unit on his own. It's not that he couldn't do that, it just seems more likely that a charge of bulls combined with the giant is more effective than a giant charging on his own.