PDA

View Full Version : Relative Sizes Of Forgeworld Tank Shells

Hunger
27-04-2010, 16:21
Hi all

Can someone please measure me a demolisher shell from this page?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Imperial_Guard_Accessories?filter_reset=1

I'm hoping they are about the right size to use as Basilisk shells, to put on the platform along with the loader.

Does it look like the human loader would feasibly be able to manhandle them into the breech, with a big effort?

Also, can anyone who has them please measure a selection of other shell from this page too - are they the roughly same size?

Finally, assuming the Forgeworld shells the wrong size, can anyone please point me to a seller of correct size ones - I want about six large calibre shells that look mighty enough for the Earthshaker Cannon, but are not riduculously cartoon-big (a bit shorter than a guardsman is probably about right). The one held by the regular loaders is far too small in my opinion.

Many thanks

Hunger
27-04-2010, 20:43
Nobody bought these huh?

Vepr
27-04-2010, 20:51
Nobody bought these huh?

Probably the same size as the one that hangs off the back of the vindicator. Anyone else think it is a bad idea to hang live ordnance off the back of your rear armor 10 vehicle?

MajorWesJanson
27-04-2010, 20:54
Probably the same size as the one that hangs off the back of the vindicator. Anyone else think it is a bad idea to hang live ordnance off the back of your rear armor 10 vehicle?

I had a vindicator shot scatter backwards onto its own rear armor. Same thing really.

Vepr
27-04-2010, 21:00
I had a vindicator shot scatter backwards onto its own rear armor. Same thing really.

In that instance I would say the loader in training just pushed the release on the rear lift dropping the shell on its nose... "What does this button do again?"

On a serious note wouldn't that still strike the front facing because that is the direction the shot came from? :confused: Sucks either way... lol

Bunnahabhain
27-04-2010, 22:02
Depending on your location as to if this is practical or not, and if you'll be looked at as a dangerous criminal, or an ordinary person doing their weekly shop.

.22 pistol ammo.

It's exactly the right size. Do remove the bullet and safely dispose of the propellent...

burad
27-04-2010, 23:06
I used 9mm ammo recently. 10mm worked too. .22 cal is OK depending on what kind of gun it is. With any real ammo you should either use an expended case with a new bullet, or a case with no primer, no powder and a new bullet.

chromedog
28-04-2010, 00:04
I use fired .38 special brass for mine (primer fired, powder load exhausted, tumbled and cleaned.
GS for a dummy load. Good to go.

Vepr
28-04-2010, 00:53
While you do not want to have it happen having a bullet go off outside of a gun is less threatening than people think. Generally the case just ruptures because there is no chamber for it to expand against and create enough force to push the bullet out of a casing and down a barrel. The pressure just ruptures the case and vents without even dislodging the bullet from the case or it might be enough to barely force out the bullet or primer as the case fails and splits but in most instances you just get case failure.

Bunnahabhain
28-04-2010, 00:59
While you do not want to have it happen having a bullet go off outside of a gun is less threatening than people think. Generally the case just ruptures because there is no chamber for it to expand against and create enough force to push the bullet out of a casing and down a barrel. The pressure just ruptures the case and vents without even dislodging the bullet from the case or it might be enough to barely force out the bullet or primer as the case fails and splits but in most instances you just get case failure.

Useful to know, but spent ammo is still probably safer. Or at least less likely to suddenly disrupt paint jobs.

Next week, how to use plastic explosive as a more easily scultable substitute for green stuff. It looks just like FW resin to airport scanners.....

Vepr
28-04-2010, 01:39
Useful to know, but spent ammo is still probably safer. Or at least less likely to suddenly disrupt paint jobs.

Next week, how to use plastic explosive as a more easily scultable substitute for green stuff. It looks just like FW resin to airport scanners.....

:D

It would be a bummer though to see the authorities set off your models on the tarmac. :cries: :p

AndrewGPaul
28-04-2010, 07:20
Depending on your location as to if this is practical or not, and if you'll be looked at as a dangerous criminal, or an ordinary person doing their weekly shop.

.22 pistol ammo.

It's exactly the right size. Do remove the bullet and safely dispose of the propellent...

Find a local gun club, ask them for spent casings. I got a big bag of them (to use as reload markers for Legends of the Old West). You just need to wash them out.

Bunnahabhain
28-04-2010, 10:44
^^^Not that easy for everyone. In the UK, for instance, there are no gun clubs using pistols, as it is virtually impossible for private individuals to own them legally- even the Olympic shooting team can't train in the UK. Been like that since 1996.

Although somehow, we still found some 9mm luger casings in the bottom of a scenery box last week

Hunger
28-04-2010, 10:52
Probably the same size as the one that hangs off the back of the vindicator.

I find that most GW things are not universal sizes, hence why I'd like them measured - just look at the size of IG heavy weapons compared with equivalents mounte don tanks and carried by other troops.

That said, just to get a rough size would be enough - so could somebody please measure one of the vindicator ones instead?

I live in the UK, and there are no gun clubs around my area that I know about, and I'm not sure where to buy pistol ammunition. Newsagents here only tend to stock mundane items ;)

AndrewGPaul
28-04-2010, 11:43
^^^Not that easy for everyone. In the UK, for instance, there are no gun clubs using pistols, as it is virtually impossible for private individuals to own them legally- even the Olympic shooting team can't train in the UK. Been like that since 1996.

Although somehow, we still found some 9mm luger casings in the bottom of a scenery box last week

Still reasonably easy; I got mine from a UK club (albeit via The Miniatures Page, not by contacting them directly) and that was definitely post-Dunblane.

Do Forgeworld not do their Basilisk breech detail kit any more, then? The Death Korps Earthshaker, crew and Trojan kit comes with shells.

Judging by eye, the Earthshaker, battlecannon and vanquisher cannon all have a similar calibre. I would have thought that Vindicator shells would be substantially bigger - the cannon calibre certainly seems to be.

chromedog
05-05-2010, 07:09
.22 casings are easy enough to come by.
Not many shooters can be bothered reloading them - unlike larger calibres (like .38, .44 and .45 - and brass-cased 12g is like gold).