PDA

View Full Version : Help with 2,250 point Daemon list for Tournament at end of May

FashaTheDog
27-04-2010, 20:33
I am looking to play in a free tournament at the new store in East Greenbush, NY at the end of May but my Vampire Counts, Goblins, and Chaos Warriors are too small for the 2,250 sized game. My Daemons, however, are not. The problem is that I have yet to try out the Daemons in Fantasy and after flipping through the army book and unhappy with the lists I've thus far made. To this end I am asking for assistance with making a list that will be decent and fun to use. I want to participate in this tournament more for getting to know the Fantasy crowd that shows for the store's opening and to get a few games in.

The best I came up with thus far is:
Bloodthirster - Firestorm Blade, Immortal Fury, Spell Breaker, Armor of Khorne
Herald of Tzeentch - Flames of Tzeentch, Spell Breaker
30 Bloodletters - Full command, Icon of Endless War
20 Horrors
20 Daemonettes
20 Plaguebearers
16 Furies
6 Flamers

I'm thinking of bumping something for a Herald of Nurgle on a palanquin or a Herald of Khorne on a Juggernaut or perhaps swapping the Bloodthirster for a Keeper of Secrets. The problem is I have limited experience with Fantasy as there was no real group at the old store and what experience I do have is mostly with Vampire Counts followed by Sourgutt's Goblins, and then Chaos.

I own the below and due to starting up Flames of War, I cannot add anything more for a while.
32 Bloodletters; 1 Banner, 2 Instruments, 1 Champion
20 Horrors; 1 Iridescent
20 Daemonettes
20 Plaguebearers
20 Furies
6 Flamers
5 Screamers
Belakor (can use as Bloodthirster or Daemon Prince)
Keeper of Secrets
Epidemius
1 Juggernaut
1 Herald of Tzeentch
1 Bloodthirster missing his head and whip hand (if anyone has these parts of the old school one for trade or sale, please contact me)

w3rm
28-04-2010, 17:08
31 Bloodletters with out a herald is a huuuuuuge waste of points. Drop them down to about 18-24 and Put in a herald on a Jugger.

FashaTheDog
28-04-2010, 18:28
A Herald on a a Juggernaut will be be 150-200 points. So I would have to lose 13-17 models from my core section. Perhaps this instead:

Bloodthirster - Firestorm Blade, Immortal Fury, Spell Breaker, Armor of Khorne
Herald of Khorne - Juggernaut, Obsidian Armor
19 Bloodletters - Full command, Icon of Endless War
20 Horrors
20 Daemonettes
20 Plaguebearers
10 Furies
6 Flamers

Sylvos
28-04-2010, 19:26
I would put Obsidian Armor on your Bloodthirster so that he becomes a one man wrecking ball (even more so than he already is).

Don Zeko
28-04-2010, 21:58
I'd drop either the daemonettes or the Plaguebearers for a herald of Khorne on a Jugger with the BSB and the banner that makes you stubborn. Probably the obsidian armor would be good on the Bloodthirster, then split your furies into 3 units of five and your done. This isn't a totally min-maxed daemon army, but it will still be very scary.

FashaTheDog
29-04-2010, 17:44
I kind of like this list better, although I am still wondering if perhaps I should exchange four Plague Bearers for Daemonettes so each unit is 16 strong instead.

Bloodthirster - Firestorm Blade, Immortal Fury, Obsidian Armor
Herald of Khorne - Juggernaut, Battle Standard of Chaos' Glory, Spell Breaker
20 Bloodletters - Full command, Icon of Endless War
20 Horrors
12 Daemonettes
20 Plaguebearers
5 Furies
5 Furies
5 Furies
6 Flamers

FashaTheDog
20-05-2010, 19:27
I was looking at the list and made a few tweaks:

Bloodthirster - Firestorm Blade, Immortal Fury, Obsidian Armor
Herald of Khorne - Juggernaut, Battle Standard of Chaos' Glory
30 Bloodletters - Full command, Icon of Endless War
20 Horrors
17 Plaguebearers
5 Furies
5 Furies
5 Furies
6 Flamers

The idea is the Heralds go in their unit of lesser Daemons but I was wondering if perhaps I should drop the Flamers for 18 Daemonettes (or 17 and add a Plague Bearer)? Or does my prior list look a little better, although the question regarding the Flamers still stands?

Dungeon_Lawyer
21-05-2010, 13:46
flamers are just about the best unit in the entire book--You would be crazy to take them out

Falkman
21-05-2010, 13:57
The important question here, due to you playing Daemons (well not only due to that, but it certainly plays a big part), is if you want to focus on winning or to focus on a nice gaming experience for both you and your opponents.
If you can answer this it will be much easier to help you design a suitable army list.

FashaTheDog
21-05-2010, 17:34
Well, I want both Falkman as it is a tournament and Daemons are my only army large enough to play (the next contender caps at 1500). As for the Flamers question I now have an answer for it since as I've said I have never played them in Fantasy, only 40K. With my limited units, I think I have a list that will be fine, although I do wonder about the usefulness of Screamers as I have four of them who could take the place of 10 Bloodletters.

Gokamok
21-05-2010, 20:28
I think you'd be better off with Daemonettes instead of Plague bearers, since the PB's really need a pimped Herald in order to be scary. Maybe take 2 units of 10 to act as a sort of detachments for your block of Bloodletters?

Dungeon_Lawyer
23-05-2010, 10:48
I think you'd be better off with Daemonettes instead of Plague bearers, since the PB's really need a pimped Herald in order to be scary. Maybe take 2 units of 10 to act as a sort of detachments for your block of Bloodletters?

maybe play epidemus as the PB herald?

FashaTheDog
23-05-2010, 17:26
Thanks for the guidance. I've gotten a trio of games at the tournament with a win, loss, and draw against Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, and Dwarfs, respectively.

The first was a feeler game where both my opponent and I became familiar with the system and the armies. We both made a few mistakes, although his where far less severe than mine as I basically marched forward with impunity while he suffered for each of his errors. Late game saw his catapults suddenly go from uselessly unable to hit anything to dead on accurate as his problem was the table height threw his estimations, but by standing on the table's support beam, he was able to remedy that. His attrition against all of my units paid off as he loaded up on VPs from half credit units across the table, especially the Khornate section while finishing the Horrors and their Herald. Only the fact that I gutted his army in the process gave me enough to pull a minor victory.

The Vampire Counts game was simply beyond ridiculous right from turn 1. To start the game on a high note, the flanking Bloodthrister, Fred, was screamed at by a Banshee who rolled 12 and was answered by 1s and 2s for saves, killing him with one shot. Following that bit was a Black Coach that already sucked up loads of dice to be 16" away from my Bloodletters and Herald was successfully charged thanks to the roll of a 6 for the Icon of Endless War. Then the Black Coach maxed out on power (and would continue to suck up more dice a turn than believable) and the assault drew in a Vampire with Ghouls and a unit of Black Knights with a Wight BSB and later a flank hit on the Ghouls from my Furies. This combat would last most of the game as the Herald kept swatting down the Hell Knight who was revived repeatedly but at least one challenge was declined by the Vampire death machine forcing him out of combat. Yet the combat saw that all 30 Bloodletters and the Herald would be cut down without the benefit of even getting half credit for anything compliments of the revival capabilities of the army. The only bright shining beacon was the Horrors and their Herald dumping death on anything that came near as well as the ultimately doomed Flamers whose firepower seemed to increase as the unit size dropped, although despite several turns of heavy firing, they still only knocked the Banshee down to one wound and lonely. Game ended with the unscathed Horrors and Herald the only thing I had left firmly holding a table quarter. I doubt I have ever played a more over the top silly game of anything, be it Apocalypse, Monty Python Fluxx, or the Golden Eye drinking game (rockets, facility, one hit kill; everyone drinks whenever anyone dies).

The last game was against Dwarfs and was the most instructive by far. I was on the same table and decided that for a change and to use a piece of terrain I never had before a small farmhouse would look nice slightly off from the center; turned out to have ruined my game, but hey, it was still a fun game all the same and the table looked very nice. Due to deployment and my Bloodletter legion ended up doing nothing all game, at all. This was thanks to the farmhouse bottleneck where Fred took on two good sized units, one of regular Dwarfs and one of Longbeards and for most of the game blocked the only line of advance for the Bloodletters while he singlehandedly killed both unit. It got bad enough I was willing to charge my own Bloodthirster and kill it to move on with it. Didn't happen. The Furies and Bolt Thrower crew, along with a lone Slayer, had a meet and greet for something like six rounds of combat where no one won combat before they finally lost and rolled huge on their instability to vanish. Then on the last turn when they finally did get to do something to my army they killed Fred and the Flamers taking what would have been a good solid victory to a 19 VP lead for me and a tie.

I went in knowing that I would not come close to winning as I easily had the lowest comp score, although it was capped at 0 and had never played Daemons before as well as being unfamiliar with 7th (I know 3rd). So for me this was three fun games against a variety of foes on a Saturday afternoon. It was rather enjoyable and if 8th were not right around the corner I would play more and really learn 7th, but rather, I will wait and just learn 8th.