PDA

View Full Version : IG Inquisition?

amazingdev2005
27-04-2010, 20:06
Hey all,

I'm a big fan of the Inquisition fluff and had a couple Daemonhunters armies throughout the years and Editions of the game. Although I love the Grey Knights some of the rumors bantering about this forum of possible Inquisitorial units being removed leaves me a bit wary about expanding my army.

I want to state up front that I can completely see both sides of the issue with a Grey Knights-only army update coming soon.

To expand my army past just GKs (and to abate my love of radical inquisitors) I thought about creating an Inquisition army from the IG codex. Here's what I was thinking:

*Inquisitor - Col. Straken.
I've always thought that radical inquisitors should be tougher than they're presented in either DH or WH. They tamper with darker forces and take a huge chunk of resources to bring down when they finally tip over towards Chaos and go all evil. There's even a story of one in the DH codex collecting tainted artifacts that made him a force to be reckoned. I think the Colonel's stats and special rules reflect this, and combined with the modeling options that his Command Squad (retinue) allow for, make a nice centerpiece unit.

*Daemonhost/Summoned creatures - Ogryns and Penal Troops.
Ogryns don't really need much explanation. Their strength and toughness reflect demon-y traits, their Ripper guns could be short-ranged psychic attacks, and their low (but Stubborn) leadership could be considered like instability...they'll fight for the inquisitor but aren't there of their own will; due to this, they don't have an invulnerable save, only armor.

I thought Penal Troops might be neat signifying a larger quantity of lesser demons. Since they're weaker, they're easier for the inquisitor to control/keep in our dimension (hence the higher, yet still-stubborn leadership), their D6 abilities are more sensible for random demons yanked from the Warp then guardsmen anyway (extra knives = rending...huh?), and their shooting ability could represent how their weaker demonic stature emphasizes psychic attacks (lasguns) rather than the smashsmashbreak of larger Warp entities. I think my 10 unpainted plastic Bloodletters would work well. Paint 'em up in demonic light-blues and summon (Scout) away!

*Inducted/Tainted Troops - Guard Platoons and/or Veterans.
These poor souls are always turning to Chaos. I'm sure if the inquisitor's inducted units disagreed with his radical stance then he'd have the capabilities to find troops with less ethical restrictions.

For vehicles and transports I thought most anything in the IG codex would work.

Other units that I thought could work well in a radical force are Psychic choirs. For a puritan army, I'd nix Straken and use an HQ Psyker instead; he has a force weapon and psychic powers...and is also weaker, which I always thought made sense (the path of good is a harder road).

Anyhoo, I was hoping these ideas would help alleviate some of the fears that are rising about certain DH codex entries being cut. There's always a place for slaved-over models :) Thanks for tuning in to my optimism!

-amazingdev2005

MajorWesJanson
27-04-2010, 20:11
Primaris Psyker and Commissar Lords also make decent Inquisitor stand-ins.

madd0ct0r
27-04-2010, 21:07
Radical Inquisitors don't generally run around with a huge army of demons though.

a collection of minor deamon hosts maybe, but surely not on the scale you're talking about.

Mannimarco
27-04-2010, 21:13
All it takes is one or two daemon hosts helping you (see quixos I believe it was) and before you know it you've got the ordo malleus breathing down your neck

anybody trying to summon this amount of daemons wouldnt last very long, radical or not

Inquisitor_Tolheim
27-04-2010, 23:48
All it takes is one or two daemon hosts helping you (see quixos I believe it was) and before you know it you've got the ordo malleus breathing down your neck

anybody trying to summon this amount of daemons wouldnt last very long, radical or not

However, a radical inquisitor could just as easily use hordes of mutants or other untouchables from society, and those guys make great Penal Legionnaires. Ogryns are just bigger mutants. If you're willing to spend the money forgeworld's renegade ogryn (not the plague ones) would be perfect in this respect.

For a Daemonhost, what if you took a psyker squad, make the overseer a daemonhost and the psykers that accompany it a squad of worshiping/enslaved cultists? If you suffer a perils of the warp, the daemonhost gets free for a bit and kills a few of it's handlers.

Melchor
27-04-2010, 23:50
I think Nork Deddog would make a great Daemonhost rules-wise...

Lord Cook
28-04-2010, 00:00
Unfortunately Nork is appallingly bad in terms of rules, while the Psyker squad is well worth the points. Playing to a theme is difficult enough as it is, especially as you'd already be trying to use Ogryns and/or Penal Legion, neither of which is exactly competitive. The Primaris Psyker and Stracken both make good leaders.

amazingdev2005
28-04-2010, 01:18
Ah, maybe three daemonhost ogryns and 10 minidaemonhost penal troopers is too much. I did like the idea of Nork being a daemonhost...but I know Lord Cook is right when he says some of these ideas are not competitive.

I was taking a look at Marbo after reading the posts and thought to myself, "What a great Assassin!" He has similar entrance rules to the Callidus, has many attacks that are all poisoned, Stealth, has an AP2 sniper pistol--sounds like cool assassin kit. His demo charge isn't very assassin-like, I thought until I remembered that some assassins have template attacks, like the neural shredder. S8 AP2 large pie plate neural shredder anyone?

-amazingdev2005

Melchor
28-04-2010, 01:32
I'd buy that. :) And even though Nork isn't that good in game-terms it makes for a great theme.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
28-04-2010, 01:48
Ah, maybe three daemonhost ogryns and 10 minidaemonhost penal troopers is too much. I did like the idea of Nork being a daemonhost...but I know Lord Cook is right when he says some of these ideas are not competitive.

I was taking a look at Marbo after reading the posts and thought to myself, "What a great Assassin!" He has similar entrance rules to the Callidus, has many attacks that are all poisoned, Stealth, has an AP2 sniper pistol--sounds like cool assassin kit. His demo charge isn't very assassin-like, I thought until I remembered that some assassins have template attacks, like the neural shredder. S8 AP2 large pie plate neural shredder anyone?

-amazingdev2005

Setting a trap before hand and blowing stuff up is so like an assassin. Even better since 99/100 times you'll be using your demo charge on the turn Marbo comes in, it basically means that marbo has been lying in wait, watching until the enemy stumbled into his trap. When crap blows up they know he's there, and thus he becomes visible to enemy units. I almost think marbo is more like a sneaky Eversor then a Callidus though, with his poisoned knife and ripper pistol.

amazingdev2005
28-04-2010, 04:00
I almost think marbo is more like a sneaky Eversor then a Callidus though, with his poisoned knife and ripper pistol.

Definitely. Totally agree with you, Tolheim. I think I'm going to head over to the bitz store I use and plan on making a converted Eversor for my count-as Marbo.

I'm still deciding on the HQ, though. I've narrowed it down to a full-fixin's squad of Straken, medic, astropath, plasma x 3, and a bodyguard vs. a mere 70pt. Primaris Psyker. Psyker's much cheaper and has some neat powers, but will get cut down before he can swing in most fights and could be an easy killpoint.

-amazingdev2005

madd0ct0r
28-04-2010, 12:47
Primaris Psyker runs well with the ogyrn - gives them good leadership to stop them getting cut down to easily (they give him a majority toughness boost, and spare wounds)

Can you find the points for both?

Lord Cook
28-04-2010, 13:27
I've narrowed it down to a full-fixin's squad of Straken, medic, astropath, plasma x 3, and a bodyguard vs. a mere 70pt. Primaris Psyker. Psyker's much cheaper and has some neat powers, but will get cut down before he can swing in most fights and could be an easy killpoint.

No sense in putting plasma guns with Stracken. Stracken is going to want to charge, yet the plasma guns are rapid fire weapons and thus will not be able to shoot beforehand. I've found that flamers are good for Stracken's squad, as they are cheap (in an already expensive unit) and ideal for thinning down hordes which Stracken would be overwhelmed by.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
28-04-2010, 14:53
Definitely. Totally agree with you, Tolheim. I think I'm going to head over to the bitz store I use and plan on making a converted Eversor for my count-as Marbo.

I'm still deciding on the HQ, though. I've narrowed it down to a full-fixin's squad of Straken, medic, astropath, plasma x 3, and a bodyguard vs. a mere 70pt. Primaris Psyker. Psyker's much cheaper and has some neat powers, but will get cut down before he can swing in most fights and could be an easy killpoint.

-amazingdev2005

Which of those you use depends entirely on the rest of your list. Straken can be a great unit (as lord Cook said, put flamers with him rather then the plasma guns) but you have to build the army to take advantage of his abilities.

A Primaris Psyker is more of a support unit then a main line fighter. Don't be afraid to eschew his shooting ability to obscure a unit if you need to. Have you visited the Guard Tactica thread in the Tactics forum yet? Lord Cook and others have put together a nice overview of various tactical options available to the guard.

madd0ct0r
28-04-2010, 18:53
yeah. I'd second that recommendation.

the sheer number of options in the guard codex can feel a bit overwhelming at times.

All the good options I can think of for a demonhost proper use the allies rule anyway.

hmmm. unless it was bound into a vehicle?

amazingdev2005
28-04-2010, 20:46
Thanks for the help! I think I'm leaning more toward the Primaris Psyker now and can still include a group of battle psykers in a Chimera.

-amazingdev2005