PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else miss the Albion Campaign?

grumbaki
27-04-2010, 20:10
Looking back at it...

* It was set as a part of the warhammer world where anyone could win without really upsetting the status quo
* It had interesting and new scenarios (I still remember my ill-fated dwarven marines floundering in the waves)
* Because of the first point, it had clear winners and losers
* When it was over the winning armies got magic items to show for it! (I still look fondly back on my dwarves having a power sword, the dark elves having a power fist, and the high elves getting power armor)

I really wish GW would do more campaigns like this. Instead of having the entire Empire tremble due to Archaon's invasion, they could have easily done a campaign where the first elements of his army invade Kislev and fight over Praag. If Praag falls then that sucks, but nobody really gets screwed over, and if it holds, the main force is still coming so the good guys can win. And if it ends with the factions that play the best getting goodies, then it keeps us all motivated.

So who else remembers Albion fondly and still hopes for something like it in the future?

Lordsaradain
27-04-2010, 20:22
Albion was great!

Bloodknight
27-04-2010, 20:30
Loved the Campaign. As a DoW player I also love the Truthsayer and the Dark Emissary. The rewards were a bit silly, but the Dark Elf players loved theirs...

vinush
27-04-2010, 20:34
Aaah, Albion... fond memories of that campaign, and the Return to Albion campaign my Games Club ran with it's winds of magic chart, random events (giants hurling rocks before the game!) and weather charts.

Good time, good times.

I just hope they do something this good again. The magic items that armies got were good, but I never used them (Kept forgetting they existed!)

THE \/ince

explorator
27-04-2010, 21:55
Best Summer campaign for Warhammer ever. Great scenarios, and wonderful setting.

Noserenda
27-04-2010, 21:57
Definitely the best Big campaign GW ran, very fond memories here.

Woodsman
27-04-2010, 21:58
The first scenario was a hoot. Still play it every now and again.

Yeah it was the best campaign I ever got involved in. Lots of fun.

enyoss
28-04-2010, 07:47
I spent most of the campaign sulking about the demise of Brian Craig's Albion, so didn't really get into it. I wasn't entirely sure what the point was really; it just seemed like a weak excuse to justify a new set of weather rules.

*grumpy hat off*

I did like the magic items which followed though :). Armour of the Gods was just awesome for my High Elves, and as I've never played 40K my ignorance of the in-joke was complete bliss.

Geep
28-04-2010, 09:09
Albion is the best campaign I've been a part of- and my wood elves were so close to getting a magic item from it...

ashc
28-04-2010, 09:12
It was a fun little campaign, with some awesome scenarios (wasn't there one with Ogham Stone Circles that doubled your power dice? My chaos sorceror army laughed out loud playing that one!) :evilgrin:

Tymell
28-04-2010, 09:12
Yeah, I completely agree with the OP: flavoursome scenarios, a campaign where everyone can join in, feels important but not so critical that GW can't realistically have an actual winner because it would upset the status quo too much.

Lowmans
28-04-2010, 17:51
Oh yes! More stuff like the Albion campaign would be great! A border princes one maybe. For some reason I was thinking Lizardmen were the 'winners' in the end..... Agh I can't remember - too old and with a memory as holy as Mother Teresa!

Spiney Norman
28-04-2010, 20:03
Albion was the golden age of WH without a doubt. A pity they can't be bothered to run those worldwide campaigns anymore, another albion would be truly awesome

SeaSwift
28-04-2010, 20:10
Eh, pardon me for intruding, Albion was before my time, but didn't the Medusa V campaign run pretty recently (4 years ago), and wasn't that global?

sigur
28-04-2010, 20:14
Problem is (as so often) the crowds who - WRONGFULLY SO - think that it would be a good thing if players had an impact on the Old World because they think that there should be an ongoing storyline and all that stuff. That's why GW felt pressured to come up with some mess like Storm of Chaos. I'm not an expert on WHFB fluff but from what I gathered, the background is still suffering from that campaign and there are lots of people who were not happy with it.

I'm with the OP here; IF GW want to do campaigns again in the future, campaigns on a very limited scope, probably historical ones and ones without any real impact are the way to go. Examples would be Albion for WHFB or Medusa V for 40k.

Loved the Campaign. As a DoW player I also love the Truthsayer and the Dark Emissary. The rewards were a bit silly, but the Dark Elf players loved theirs...

Hehe, indeed. ;)

Tymell
28-04-2010, 22:13
I also think GW shouldn't feel pressured into coming up with a story for every single race being at a worldwide campaign focus. Come up with something where there will be many drawn from far and wide, then let the players work out their own exact reason for being involved.

There's still lots of potential: unexplored regions of the map, or just having it take place somewhere existing that isn't too pivotal, an island or city somewhere.

brendel
28-04-2010, 23:14
I still have the booklet that was relesed for the campaign, it was well thought out, i liked it, still play the games from time to time.

Maoriboy007
29-04-2010, 00:32
As great as the campaign was, I do recall a lot of flak about how the results were handled. Basically scores were based on the quantity of submissions favouring the newest army at the time. DE basically took home the lions share of prizes. The percentage result went to Dwarves , who got a shiny new sword. Still the campaign itself was a fantastic idea, and the fluff was cool too.

Lord Malorne
29-04-2010, 00:35
Albion was great!

This sums up my feelings on Albion.

Eh, pardon me for intruding, Albion was before my time, but didn't the Medusa V campaign run pretty recently (4 years ago), and wasn't that global?

'Anymore' he said, not 'none since then'.

Oguleth
29-04-2010, 01:29
As a Dark Elf player at the time, the thing I remember the most is getting the Fist. Before that, I had pretty much used halberds and greatweapons on my heroes as the magic weapons kinda sucked, so it was nice to finally have something good in that section.

The scenarioes was pretty nice. Some of them I even got to play several times. Weather effects I can't remember much from, I seem to remember we skipped them due to being norwegians, we'd just end up whining even more about the weather, and the world would implode.

I liked the Truthsayer and Emissary models, but they were labeled cheese pretty fast in my gaming group, so they weren't used a lot (weren't they Hero+Rare or so?) in the actual games.

Coverage in WD was also quite nice, I seem to remember.

All in all it was a good happening, yay for crazy oddball stuff.

chivalrous
29-04-2010, 03:17
Looking back at it...

* It was set as a part of the warhammer world where anyone could win without really upsetting the status quo

If I remember correctly, the Dark Elves won that campaign didn't they? One thought I had then was that it would be rather cool if that led to the Dark Elves having a staging post from which to gather two strong forces in separate locations and launch a two pronged invasion on Ulthuan.

Of course with High Elves coming second in the campaign I suspect they cancelled out the strong influence the Dark Elves had on Albion and it ended with noone having overall control.

ChaosVC
29-04-2010, 04:17
Albion campaign is a myth, no the dark elves didn't get a powerfist from it.

MercuryLamp
29-04-2010, 07:07
My nostalgia for the campaign probably has more to do with the state of wargaming in general back then than any virtue of the campaign. I know that if I had played, say, Empire, and gotten my artillery soaked by the weather chart I wouldn't have been too happy.

That was a good time in general. Warhammer was very popular around here. The tournaments were always totally filled up even though you -had- to have a painted army. We had a league that played every Friday night.

Lest I be accused of wearing rose-colored sunglasses, that was also the time when Mage Knight hit the zenith of its popularity. You basically had these little kids with these "pre-painted"(presumably with a q-tip) toys competing for table space and breaking all the terrain pieces.

Woodsman
29-04-2010, 09:04
Albion campaign is a myth,

Sorry? :cries:

Arnizipal
29-04-2010, 10:34
As great as the campaign was, I do recall a lot of flak about how the results were handled. Indeed. People only seem to remember the good stuff about the Albion Campaign (or maybe that's becasue all campaigns that came after it were far worse), but I do recall a fair bit of grumbling on Portent back in those days...

ashc
29-04-2010, 10:53
Lets be honest, 'results' and handling of which is part of what ruins all the worldwide campaigns put forward by the company; better off just using the resources and having your own ones. :)

I am glad they have moved away from pretending campaigns are going to be 'world-changing'.

Lord Malorne
29-04-2010, 11:57
When I played Albion I had no net access... I wonder if that has anything to do with my enjoyment of it :angel:.

darkstar
29-04-2010, 12:28
The thing I miss most is being able to legitimately shout "bollogs" in public.

Also, the models were damned funky, and I wish I'd got the two wizardy types, as they're really lovely now.

sliganian
29-04-2010, 12:54
Sorry? :cries:

I think he was trying humour along the lines of "These aren't the droids you're looking for."

BigRob
29-04-2010, 13:52
Out of interest was there ever a copy of the magic items apart from in the WD when they were released?

I remember Empire getting a force staff that was pretty useless and the Dwarves got a power sword, High Elves got a flamer, Power Armour and I think a lightning claw and the Dark Elves got the powerfist, auspex and something else.

It was a great campaign, I am still a bit gutted the rumoured "Cardboard ship" never made it into WD (for the beach assault scenario).

Of course, if your going for quality summer campaigns, what about something like Thorskinsons Island? I have very fond memories of that one and the campaign terrain army picking system.

klini
29-04-2010, 16:05
Another one of those please GW

Havock
29-04-2010, 16:17
The Dark Elf powerfist was all fine and great.

And then SoC came along and introduced the Druchii anointed :p

grumbaki
30-04-2010, 18:30
[QUOTE=MercuryLamp;4616059]My nostalgia for the campaign probably has more to do with the state of wargaming in general back then than any virtue of the campaign. I know that if I had played, say, Empire, and gotten my artillery soaked by the weather chart I wouldn't have been too happy. QUOTE]

I remember my armies being messed up badly by some of the rules, but still having lots of fun with it. Dwarven marines having to swim: take an I test with a -1 modifier due to their heavy armor....yeah, that game did not go very well for me.

Or weather charts messing up my artillery...or Ogham stones making magic heavy armies horribly overpowered (double power/dispel dice to every mage within them!).

Then again, I did get to field a dwarf army with 2 dark emissaries. I'd tell people that I am playing dwarves, they wouldn't bring magic defense, and then I'd show up with 2 lvl 4 mages. The best was when one of them killed a black orc lord with a single spell (take a T test or die, no saves allowed). Or taking down lone high elf mages by causing every unit, or single character, to take d6 str 4 hits (including half of my army).

Things were kind of broken, but man were they fun. The scenarios were great, and you went into each game knowing that it wouldn't be as balanced as a pitched battle. I just really wish that we got more news about the Empire colony on Albion, or the Lizardmen infestation. :D